Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Only the French could make a helicopter sound like goddamn moped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I didn't know they had a stint making helicopters. It certainly was short-lived: apparently, despite the prototype test flights demonstrating the aircraft flew well, they didn't get a permanent airworthiness certificate, so the copter never went into serial production and the whole thing was just a big waste of money for the automobile manufacturer. It might even have helped Peugeot take over (they bought Citroën in 1976).

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

CharlesM posted:

Isn't that a picture of a CRT?

Nope, that's a screen on the back of a DSLR.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Boeing's got you covered with the 464-35:

Pretty much "The effect of German WW2 Aeronautical research" in a jpg.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

But they probably would have if they had done it in the 80s, the first time they had the idea.

:v:

Looking at the 2007 analysis for replacing the engines they've been fielding replacement proposals since at least 1997.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Enourmo posted:

Would one modern turbofan of equivalent thrust weigh that much more than two TF-33s?

Going off Wikipedia data, replacing eight TF33's with four PW1135G's would save about 9500lbs, just going by raw engine weight alone, not including changes to pylons, etc.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Godholio posted:

I think he meant 8->4 on the Buff. But yeah that's what they were looking at, and I think they replaced one pylon for testing at some point.

I think they used a B-52 when testing the engine for the C-5 Galaxy, it replaced two engines on the inner pylon.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

ehnus posted:

Going off Wikipedia data, replacing eight TF33's with four PW1135G's would save about 9500lbs, just going by raw engine weight alone, not including changes to pylons, etc.

Less weight is just as bad as more weight when it comes to re-powering aircraft, especially jet-powered aircraft a with pod-mounted engines. The weight of the engines hanging in front of the wing provides a strong counterweight to bending moments, in addition to providing a very powerful anti-flutter counterweight.

On the topic of TF33s, Pratt and Whitney is apparently designing a performance improvement package for them, to improve fuel efficiency but especially service life and reliability.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

StandardVC10 posted:

I think they used a B-52 when testing the engine for the C-5 Galaxy, it replaced two engines on the inner pylon.

You're right, that's what I was thinking of. They tested the TF39 (eventual C-5 engine) and CF6.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrChips posted:

Less weight is just as bad as more weight when it comes to re-powering aircraft, especially jet-powered aircraft a with pod-mounted engines. The weight of the engines hanging in front of the wing provides a strong counterweight to bending moments, in addition to providing a very powerful anti-flutter counterweight.

Yeah but it’s generally easy to add weight.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
"This thing isn't heavy enough and I don't know how to fix it.' said no engineer ever in the history of engineering.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Yeah but it’s generally easy to add weight.

The problems of designing an aircraft around its main weapon instead of the other way around.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EvilJoven posted:

"This thing isn't heavy enough and I don't know how to fix it.' said no engineer ever in the history of engineering.

“Let’s bill them for depleted uranium. We’ll tell them it’s more streamlined that way” said some defence contractor, probably.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Platystemon posted:

“Let’s bill them for depleted uranium. We’ll tell them it’s more streamlined that way” said some defence contractor, probably.
Not even a defense contractor, DU trim weights were used in older airliners. They switched to Tungsten now because toxic pyrophoric metals are bad.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Had time to drop by the end of an air show at Kjeller (Norway) yesterday, managed to get some shots of this Mustang.

Next year I'll probably spend more time there, was pretty fun but I didn't have time to see any of the exhibits since I got there right at the end of the last day.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

At BWI waiting for my flight and an Egyptian Air Force C-130 lands?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Found on Daily Mails website, labeled as a Spitfire... Not exactly.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

At BWI waiting for my flight and an Egyptian Air Force C-130 lands?

They have several apparently although why one is in Washington is beyond me except for the obvious "because it is Washington DC, dummy"

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

D C posted:

Found on Daily Mails website, labeled as a Spitfire... Not exactly.

....well what is it? I'm drawing a blank.

Some kind of (lovely) replica? It looks like it got four sets of exhausts, but only two of them are real.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Nolan does have a spitfire with that tail number (and another, R9632) but clearly, that's not it

E:I wanna say yak 50
E2 I was wrong

simplefish fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 13, 2016

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
This will make a fun game of Name That Plane (I know)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

You guys yak a lot.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

drat you Yenko I was finding the dead stick crash landing video to see if it was the plane I thought

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

MrYenko posted:

You guys yak a lot.

With round wing tips and laterally (and fully) retracting landing gear?
e (and appears to have a single cockpit)

VVVVV
The 11's nose is too short?

joat mon fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 13, 2016

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Not convinced about the single cockpit but you were right about the wing tips for my first guess.

yak 3 (see F-AZIM)... E: nope yak 11final answer, 3 has a little wing root vent and the leading edge isn't that straight....hmm I think I am seeing some mislabelled pictures, someone has a bunch of 11 pics with the vent?
E2: turns out on the 11 vent is only on port, same as the protrusion on wing leading edge. The 3 has that vent on starboard.
E3: http://www.wingsovereurope.com/yak_11_f-azfj.html - yeah. Although F-AZNN is also called a Yak 11 but has 2 vents, and a single cockpit really far back. But Yak-11 like F-AZFJ
is my guess

simplefish fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 13, 2016

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

drat, you're right, too short.

But I am convinced it is a Yak - those downward facing exhausts coming out of the underside for one

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I was going to guess that it was some kind of Ki-43 Oscar or something but after some looking around in IL-2 that can't be right either.

If we could see a little more of the fuselage it would be easier.

simplefish posted:

drat, you're right, too short.

But I am convinced it is a Yak - those downward facing exhausts coming out of the underside for one

It's definitely not a Yak 11, the tail is the wrong shape and the plane in the picture appears to have a rise in the fuselage going towards the cockpit, where the Yak-11 has a double-seat bubble canopy.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 13, 2016

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It looks a little, but not quite, like a Kate. I got nothin'.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Tsuru posted:

....well what is it? I'm drawing a blank.

Some kind of (lovely) replica? It looks like it got four sets of exhausts, but only two of them are real.

That's my guess too. It's sourced to the 2017 Dunkirk movie, there were rumors they were going to crash a real $5m plane (seems a bit outlandish, even for Nolan) so that could be the soon to be crashed mockup plane assuming common sense took over. My guess is they put some bits on a different aircraft entirely so it'd be "close enough" ... but that opens the field to a shitload of options.

I've seen photos of R9612 where it's actually a Spit, so ... :confused:

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 14, 2016

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Nanchang CJ-6? Edit: no, tail isn't right.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
/\/\/\
Not a trail dragger, wrong tail, wrong wings.

Psion posted:

That's my guess too. It's sourced to the 2017 Dunkirk movie, there were rumors they were going to crash a real $5m plane (seems a bit outlandish, even for Nolan) so that could be the soon to be crashed mockup plane assuming common sense took over. My guess is they put some bits on a different aircraft entirely so it'd be "close enough" ... but that opens the field to a shitload of options.

I've seen photos of R9612 where it's actually a Spit, so ... :confused:

Maybe that explains the early Merlin (Mk I to Mk VI) exhausts it has stuck on it?

joat mon fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 14, 2016

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Yak-18 or Yak-52 taildragger conversion, perhaps?

Edit: Yak-52TW for comparison - the tail seems right, but not the wingtips.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 14, 2016

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

azflyboy posted:

I'm not 100% sure how our setup runs in regards to maintenance, but I believe that maintenance has access to the raw FDR data for their purposes, and the data is also put into the FOQA (Flight Operations Quality Assurance FOQA) system, where it eventually has the identifying information stripped out and gets used for identifying fleetwide trends that might need to be addressed.

Once you get to parts sourced from single suppliers, things get even more absurd. On the Q400, the combiner for the HUD (a piece of glass about the size of a paperback book that the HUD image is projected onto) is something like $20,000 to replace, despite the fact that it's just a piece of glass with zero moving parts or electronic components.

I worked on software for the Q400 HGS a few years ago.

That combiner needs to be manufactured to very tight tolerances and optically characterized so that the symbology on it is conformal to the outside world. It also needs to be shatter-resistant and break away in the event of a headstrike, to avoid injury to the pilot. The combiner LRUs also have some sensors to detect misalignment and (for some models, not sure about Q400 specifically) ambient light. So, even leaving aside all the compliance-related costs (and there are many) and the aerospace markup, it'd still be pretty expensive.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Posted this in the June chat thread, but getting buried in gun chat and other stuff so thought I'd ask here:

slidebite posted:

So, booked the going to and coming back from Hawaii. :dance:

Sept 3
YYC->SEA->KOA

(????)

Sept 19
OGG->SLC->YYC

Flying first class on Delta. A shitbox CRJ700 on the YYC legs, and a 757-300 on the outbound from SEA and I think 767-300 back to SLC. Those are the ones I'm most concerned of. I thoroughly expect them to be ancient rattle-traps reminiscent of the Northwest pieces of crap I flew on but who knows, I might get surprised. Anyone familiar with their equipment for those flights? As long as I can recline reasonably well I hope I can get some type of sleep, especially coming back since that's the overnight leg. The inter-island flights look like they'll be a 717. I haven't flown on a MD-based aircraft in years so I'm sort of looking forward to it even if it'll be a 30 minute hop.

Question though: Hawaiian air seem to be the biggest and go-to interisland guys, but should I be considering anyone else? I see Island Air and Mokulele also seem to be an option?
I did a seatguru for my ocean flights and it appears to be lay-flats, but when I picked the seats on the Delta website they were ambiguous and don't say one or another.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

slidebite posted:

Posted this in the June chat thread, but getting buried in gun chat and other stuff so thought I'd ask here:

I did a seatguru for my ocean flights and it appears to be lay-flats, but when I picked the seats on the Delta website they were ambiguous and don't say one or another.

The 757-300 is not lie-flat in any configuration. You should probably ask the BFC frequent traveler thread, but if the cabin class is listed as "First" it is not lie flat. If it is listed as "DeltaOne" it is lie flat. The seat map on the Delta website will show you the seat type, but if you can't tell, the 767-300s are 1-2-1 when lie-flat and 2-2-2 when not.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

Delta's aircraft interiors are actually updated quite regularly so they won't be "ancient rattle traps". I don't think Delta One/Business class is on any US domestic flights other than JFK-LAX/SFO. Unless theres a repositioning flight between hubs or something. The 2-2-2 767 first class isn't all that great as I recall, remember the economy cabin is 2-3-2 so theres only one seat's width worth of space to distribute between the 6 remaining seats. Still better than economy of course and you'll be fed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

This is what Seatguru shows when I plugged in the flight# and dates.

SEA-KOA leg (actually a 200)
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Delta_Airlines/Delta_Airlines_Boeing_757-200_75S.php

and HNL-SLC
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Delta_Airlines/Delta_Airlines_Boeing_767-300ER_76Z.php?flightno=1104&date=

Like I said though, the Delta seat selector was really ambiguous and said nothing. It shows as FIRST(P) in the confirmation.

I'll check out that BFC thread, thanks for the heads-up, I didn't know it existed.

hobbesmaster posted:

Delta's aircraft interiors are actually updated quite regularly so they won't be "ancient rattle traps". I don't think Delta One/Business class is on any US domestic flights other than JFK-LAX/SFO. Unless theres a repositioning flight between hubs or something. The 2-2-2 767 first class isn't all that great as I recall, remember the economy cabin is 2-3-2 so theres only one seat's width worth of space to distribute between the 6 remaining seats. Still better than economy of course and you'll be fed.
Well updated is nice. That NWA 757 flight I took from MSP->FLL in 09 was an absolutely ancient aircraft.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 16, 2016

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
I just got recommended to this thread from the Derek Smart madhouse.

Anyone want to hear talk summaries from AIAA-Aviation 2016?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Sperglord posted:

I just got recommended to this thread from the Derek Smart madhouse.

Anyone want to hear talk summaries from AIAA-Aviation 2016?

Yes please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

So has anyone here experienced the "redesign" at Airliners.net yet? Because it is one hell of a trainwreck serious aviation incident flock of suicidal geese meeting a 747.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 15, 2016