Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaunab posted:

There aren't that many black protagonist in comics. That's a shame.

Does it even really count when his whole thing is that he's horribly disfigured and Literal Satan makes him turn his face white as a joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Which is a shame since it was early Bendis doing what Bendis does best.

His Sam & Twitch is drat good. Worth tracking down if you like crime comics with a light (really not that much) supernatural bent.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Someone should make a new video game thread because the new Spider-Man game they announced looks super dope.

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/13/11926868/spider-man-insomniac-ps4-playstation-4-sony-marvel-exclusive

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
except for that costume. Ugly as gently caress.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea that's easily one of the fugliest spider-man costumes I've seen in a while. Still I don't give a poo poo if the game's good and that looks slick. I'm sure like every other super hero game ever there'll be at least a good handful of alternate costumes to unlock, my dislike of that costume will probably last for about two levels.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

omg chael crash posted:

Someone should make a new video game thread because the new Spider-Man game they announced looks super dope.

http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/13/11926868/spider-man-insomniac-ps4-playstation-4-sony-marvel-exclusive

Looks pretty sweet and insomniac has done some good stuff.

Cautiously optimistic.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
That trailer is 100% pre-rendered, don't buy any hype until you see gameplay.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CapnAndy posted:

That trailer is 100% pre-rendered, don't buy any hype until you see gameplay.

My bar is spiderman 2. So....not high.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The swinging will never be that good again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

The swinging will never be that good again.

All I want is good web swinging :ohdear:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!
Fallen Rib

site posted:

My bar is spiderman 2. So....not high.

Mine is Maximum Carnage but I haven't played games since I was 14.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

don't buy any hype until you see gameplay.

I take it you didn't play Sunset Overdrive.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I take it you didn't play Sunset Overdrive.

I stopped using a developer's track record as assurance for future products when Nintendo made a terrible console Zelda.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

I stopped using a developer's track record as assurance for future products when Nintendo made a terrible console Zelda.

Adventure of Link? Because the one's that came after were really good so you shouldn't have given up so quickly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Adventure of Link? Because the one's that came after were really good so you shouldn't have given up so quickly.

I'm talking about Skyward Sword. That game can go gently caress itself.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There hasn't been a good Zelda on console since the SNES.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Majora's Mask was the last good Legend of Zelda game, fight me nerds.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Pretending that Wind Waker wasn't amazing doesn't make you cool.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Pretending that Wind Waker wasn't amazing doesn't make you cool.

I love games where you're on a boat for a good chunk of it. Wind Waker and Assassin's Creed 4 are like the top games of all time. I get pissed off at AC4 when I have to walk anywhere for too long, but if I'm sailing I loving love it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Insomniac should at least be able to get the tone right, and I like most of the stuff they've made, so I'll at least be following this.

But yeah, that costume.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's better than what he has right now.

The glowy spider is dumb.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'll take dumb glowy spider over that, thanks.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
White spider is an incredibly poor decision but it would be ok if they changed that

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Escobarbarian posted:

White spider is an incredibly poor decision but it would be ok if they changed that

Yea I don't dig the general style but you can fix most of it by just making the spider black, then it goes from 'man that's one ugly spider-man' to 'eh whatever'.

Also yea, I'm not breaking down the door to throw my money at a preorder based on one trailer but of all the people to get Spider-Man right I'd trust the Sunset Overdrive people the most right now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was also the announcement of another Rocksteady Batman game. Since it is a first person VR game it's not supposed to have any combat and instead is about Batman going to Arkham to solve a mystery.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They should include the first person sections from the start and end of AK.

I'm sure it'll be a 20minute experience rather than a game.
Rocksteady should have better things to do.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 14, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
well last I saw they sure weren't spending much time and effort on their big remaster, might as well toss some resources at the Arkham walking tour.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

They should make a new Batman game except with not-poo poo combat and a new developer, and they should use the whole Nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor via copying the Night of the Owls storyline (so instead you're taking on Talons who can't die and regenerate, justifying why they constantly come back and develop immunities to previous tactics you used when defeating them).

You're welcome WB games.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Batman's combat system was so good that basically every third person action game since it came out has ripped it off wholesale, so I'm afraid I'm gonna have to ask you to retract that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Out of everything to criticize about the Rocksteady Batman games, you picked the combat?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I, too, think playing Simon Says is "good combat".

The Batman games had really visceral combat that sort of replicated how Batman would approach it - assessing threats to the point that he'd view them all as icons which he would then effortlessly dispatch - but it wasn't good. It just really worked for Batman, and only Batman, to sort of replicate how this genius detective would approach fighting enemies.

The best combat was, as with all Batman stuff, in the preparation. Scoping out all the enemies, tagging them, and then taking them all down one by one, as criminals got increasingly freaked out and you ziplined and glided from gargoyle to gargoyle, always in the shadows, spreading fear and terror. The combat itself was icon matching, and simplistically dull. Especially after three games of it and countless ripoffs.

Travis343 posted:

Out of everything to criticize about the Rocksteady Batman games, you picked the combat?

The combat was the by-far weakest portion of Asylum, the by-far best Batman game. The gliding/trapping/tagging/stealth mechanics were all far more fun and interesting gameplay then any time you got into combat, since it was very, very easy to the point of being lifelessly dull.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I liked how Asylum only had 3 locations you went to over and over. Metroidvanias should have died with 2D.

Toxx played on easy mode. Sad.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 14, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You should play it on Hard where all the icons are hidden if you find them too hand-holdy.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

So for clarity, they should only copy the Mordor nemesis thing and nothing else, particularly the combat since that was the batman combat system?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Mordor was basically slapping a LOTR skin on an Arkham game with one novel mechanic that doesn't cover the fact that there's barely a plot, nor any real way to 'win', because there's always more orcs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The story was that Mordor was originally supposed to be a Nolan movies Batman tie-in (so the fact that it's actually super hard to actually kill Orcs makes more sense) but he pulled out and they were like, well we need something for this and chose LOTR.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone say they don't like the combat in the Batman games.

That was like universally one of its most favored aspects.

site fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 15, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Why the gently caress would you ever want to run out of orcs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is kind of weird though that it's been what, two years and nobody has used the Nemesis system for anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The story was that Mordor was originally supposed to be a Nolan movies Batman tie-in (so the fact that it's actually super hard to actually kill Orcs makes more sense) but he pulled out and they were like, well we need something for this and chose LOTR.

That's really weird since people were pretty much over the Nolan Batman when Shadows of Mordor came out. That game has a lot of weird decisions, like making you fight Uruks and Graugs instead of orcs and trolls, having the only dwarf in the game not have a beard and the only elf be a scary ghost, and it feels really incomplete compared to other games with freeflow combat. Once you get to what feels like the halfway point the game completely runs out of content. I'm interested in seeing a sequel, if only to see them make a proper full version of the game. The devs themselves have said they wanted the game to feel like a trilogy contained within one game, where the mechanics evolve with each chapter, but were only able to put in about 2 parts of that plan into the final product.

Also it was actually super easy to kill the named uruks until you ran into ones with ridiculous amounts of immunities much later on in the game (I think one of them was immune to swords).

site posted:

I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone say they don't like the combat in the Batman games.

That was like universally one of its most favored aspects.

When those horrible Fist of the North Star games came out I couldn't help but think how much better they'd be if they had freeflow combat.

• Locked thread