Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm more concerned that someone got the idea "You know what's probably really good drain cleaner? Sulfuric acid with a tiny bit of dilution. Why has nobody ever tried this before?"

It actually really is good drain cleaner. You can buy sulfuric acid based drain cleaners at your local hardware store. We use it all the time. Beats the hell out of lye-based stuff like Drano.

The problem was not that it was sulfuric acid. The problem was that it was shipped in an airplane without any labeling as to what it was or what to do if it spilled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm more concerned that someone got the idea "You know what's probably really good drain cleaner? Sulfuric acid with a tiny bit of dilution. Why has nobody ever tried this before?"

If it worked as a toilet bowl cleaner why not a drain cleaner?

Edit: correction, the tablets were sodium bisulfate, which turns into sulfuric acid when it's added to water.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 14, 2016

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

chitoryu12 posted:

It seems to be common in the US, there are several chemistry videos on Youtube showing how to purify the stuff.

The best chemistry channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJx0GJSYxBE

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Platystemon posted:

They just don’t understand muh disruptive business.
I wonder what their rate of mistaken hazmat shipments is compared to other companies. In this case since the item was prohibited under Amazon's rules since at least 2013, I bet a marketplace seller was trying to pull a fast one by intentionally miscategorizing their item. I see posts by merchants complaining about trying to get their non-hazardous items past hazmat review so it doesn't seem like it was just a perfunctory check.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 14, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Deteriorata posted:

Amazon faces $350K fine for shipping dangerous goods

"Amazing Liquid Fire" is 98% sulfuric acid with a bit of detergent mixed in. I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Here's the MSDS. It includes this nifty NFPA label:

350K fine

lol

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

DOOP posted:

350K fine

lol

Hey, that's probably the equivalent to a whole 10 minutes worth of sales on a slow day.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

RandomPauI posted:

If it worked as a toilet bowl cleaner why not a drain cleaner?

Edit: correction, the tablets were sodium bisulfate, which turns into sulfuric acid when it's added to water.

OTHER PROTECTIVE CLOTHING OR EQUIPMENT: Rubber footwear and protective clothing
(acid resistant hood and full body suit
recommended).

I mean, I wouldn't use it myself, even if it does clean the drains fairly well (and may or may not damage your plumbing).

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Private Speech posted:

OTHER PROTECTIVE CLOTHING OR EQUIPMENT: Rubber footwear and protective clothing
(acid resistant hood and full body suit
recommended).

I mean, I wouldn't use it myself, even if it does clean the drains fairly well (and may or may not damage your plumbing).

90% sure that stuff would eat right through my pipes.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Zopotantor posted:

It seems to be common in the US, there are several chemistry videos on Youtube showing how to purify the stuff.

The best chemistry channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJx0GJSYxBE

Yo NSA wizard I clicked the other links out of curiosity hope no one is upset

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Volcott posted:

90% sure that stuff would eat right through my pipes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ling-slept.html

Might get your downstairs neighbors in the process.

Jubilex
Nov 15, 2012

Back onto fork chat, someone's in deep trouble at work, since this went unreported and unfixed over a weekend.

Jubilex fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 14, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jubilex posted:

Back onto fork chat, someone's in deep trouble at work, since this went unreported and unfixed over a weekend.

FTFY

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Miso Beno posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ling-slept.html

Might get your downstairs neighbors in the process.

He knew the risks.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Jubilex posted:

the sign makes it art.

Jubilex
Nov 15, 2012
This is from the "safety focus of the week" sheet. OSHA is dead serious here, and minor incidents get escalated real fast. That's why everyone in that department neither saw nor heard anything.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Jubilex posted:

This is from the "safety focus of the week" sheet. OSHA is dead serious here, and minor incidents get escalated real fast. That's why everyone in that department neither saw nor heard anything.

This is the type of thing that makes me wonder about the value of "swift and strong response" versus "we don't care who did it, just how did it happen and how can we fix it" policies. I guess the latter doesn't work when dangerous conditions arise from incompetence.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Reverand maynard posted:

Yo NSA wizard I clicked the other links out of curiosity hope no one is upset
Depends. Where do you match on this chart?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Jubilex posted:

Home Depot?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Karma Monkey posted:

None of those are pasty enough for me.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

None of those are pasty enough for me.

Oh you'll be fine then. Unless sunlight touches your accursed undead flesh.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

on the topic of dangerous household cleaners, last week my girlfriend's landlady left a can of aerosol oven cleaner in the oven. i guess it worked because the oven got a real good cleaning after the can exploded.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Why is that MSDS a bad MS Paint?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Karma Monkey posted:

The grid. Assuming it is a transparency layer.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Orlando nightclub shooter nailed a SWAT officer in the helmet:

Edit: The helmet:

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 14, 2016

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Haha, idiot probably thought he could helmet pop like in Payday2.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Jeez, lucky bastard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pcbPGENImg&t=209s

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Jubilex posted:

That's par for the course in a warehouse. No one will admit to damaging anything. I used to tell my guys when I was a warehouse manager, "Just tell me if you break something." I don't care, I know it was a mistake, I just need to know. They never would. They were so afraid of being punished, even though I never punished anyone for mistakes, they would clam up.

I once noticed that a security camera had been moved so that it no longer covered an area of high value product. I asked everyone if they had moved it. No, no, no... is all I got. I became paranoid that someone was stealing as the items being covered were small with hundreds of SKUs and would have taken a shutdown to do a physical inventory. The camera was set about 15 feet high on a column so I knew that it would take purpose to move it.

I didn't know what time it had happened, so I had to watch security footage for forever to determine that one of my forklift drivers had nailed the column hard enough to jog the camera over and tried to pretend that it didn't happen. Just loving tell me! I won't punish you! I just need to know. You're not a baby! I won't give you a spanking.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

FuturePastNow posted:

The Orlando nightclub shooter nailed a SWAT officer in the helmet:

Edit: The helmet:

I cannot imagine what that would feel like, holy poo poo what a lucky dude

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hubis posted:

This is the type of thing that makes me wonder about the value of "swift and strong response" versus "we don't care who did it, just how did it happen and how can we fix it" policies. I guess the latter doesn't work when dangerous conditions arise from incompetence.
The cutting edge in safety policy is firing for violating no tolerance policies (usually a set of unarguable OSHA mandated policies like LOTO, working at height, hot work etc.) and to try and police willful ignorance for anything else. Except that's trying to thought police at the best of times, and at the worst of times turns into politics where any unrelated set of write ups can get you fired if your supervisor has it out for you.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

mostlygray posted:

That's par for the course in a warehouse. No one will admit to damaging anything. I used to tell my guys when I was a warehouse manager, "Just tell me if you break something." I don't care, I know it was a mistake, I just need to know. They never would. They were so afraid of being punished, even though I never punished anyone for mistakes, they would clam up.

I once noticed that a security camera had been moved so that it no longer covered an area of high value product. I asked everyone if they had moved it. No, no, no... is all I got. I became paranoid that someone was stealing as the items being covered were small with hundreds of SKUs and would have taken a shutdown to do a physical inventory. The camera was set about 15 feet high on a column so I knew that it would take purpose to move it.

I didn't know what time it had happened, so I had to watch security footage for forever to determine that one of my forklift drivers had nailed the column hard enough to jog the camera over and tried to pretend that it didn't happen. Just loving tell me! I won't punish you! I just need to know. You're not a baby! I won't give you a spanking.

Wildly disproportionate punishments for not telling you when the gently caress up and headpats when they do.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I'm just gonna guess "Russia"

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Flood perhaps?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

Volcott posted:

Wildly disproportionate punishments for not telling you when the gently caress up and headpats when they do.

We kinda have something like this at work. If people bring a valid safety issue or policy violation to the command's attention, it usually results in a small ($50-$100) gift card and a little thing where they get everyone together and publicly thank them, etc. You'd think that people would try to game this, but instead they will still just cover up or ignore issues. I've never actually seen anyone get in any trouble of any kind for issues. When it gets "caught," upper management (command) fixes it and sends out a memo to everyone saying don't do that again ya'll. In serious cases, we have a mandatory class about it that's usually 5 minutes of addressing the issue and 25 minutes of bullshitting, joke telling, gossip, etc.

What you're proposing really should work, but apparently the people I work with are too dumb or distrustful of the command for it to work. :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ground to the right is at wall level. They backed into the predicament.

That’s my (probably wrong) guess.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

That reminds me of another time where someone flipped their car at the entranceway to a gated community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2qzjdH46gY&t=24s

I cut to the chase, but the leading 20 seconds also demonstrates her terrible driving

Deteriorata posted:

Best part of this is the gas filler cap popping open at 0:41.
"Do I pull this to unlock the door?" :ohdear:

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 15, 2016

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Airborne Viking posted:

That reminds me of another time where someone flipped their car at the entranceway to a gated community.

Best part of this is the gas filler cap popping open at 0:41.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Airborne Viking posted:

I cut to the chase, but the leading 20 seconds also demonstrates her terrible driving

So how drunk was that lady? It looked like she was either flooring it or stomping on the brake.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Volcott posted:

They were all hard workers, just reliable third time losers. They showed up on time and were the best crew I'd had in 10 years. That is about the best you could hope for with the salaries that we paid. I wasn't allowed to do the hiring, only management of the staff. We once had 8 employees disappear one day due to immigration issues. Another staff member we had looked like a hard-time criminal gang member. He constantly said "Don't judge me because of my looks." His mom called us to tell us that he had stolen product from our warehouse. He even said "Don't judge me." as he ran in circles around the outside of the warehouse until my co-manager caught him cartoon style. No charges, we just made him do the walk of shame to his mom's car when she came to pick him up. He must have been about 40 years old.

Had a guy put the mast through the top of a truck once, that was fun for our insurance. Another dude decided to try to drive onto a truck without the dock plate. Took a dozen guys and many prying implements to get him unstuck. Another dude took out a support column for a mezzanine we had. Knocked it a foot back and we had to evacuate the room for safety.

Trust me, if a guys worst sin is bumping a pole a little bit, they're probably the best staff member you've ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
That sounds like a kindergarten for adult-sized humans.