Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

sassassin posted:

Yeah, they could do a lot of work trying to flesh out a faction that has only minor cosmetic differences from an established faction that is already in the game. Bears... fur coats... ice magic... uh...

Or they could focus on the dozen distinct and popular factions that aren't in the game yet.

I didn't say they were going to add Kislev soon or at all, nor was I suggesting they should do so. That's why I used the word "theoretical". Nice strawmanning though.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Mazz posted:

The way Kislev has distinct tags for some of their buildings and lords that no other faction besides the Border Princes does tells me they have at least some plans. None of the middle Empire factions are in any way different from the actual empire in the files, yet Kislev and the Border Princes are.

Also, on that DLC roadmap, one of the packs on the bottom is basically "new lord, new school or magic, couple unique/named units".

That fits Kislev pretty well. Tell will tell I guess.

I really, really hope the Border Princes, should they come out, aren't just realigned empire with some different lord buffs. That's such a waste since they could totally be unique with mercs like Carthage was.

I mentioned it way back in my post about mods, but a lot of minor factions have some interesting features that you aren't likely to notice playing the current playable factions. The Empire's counties actually do too. It's just not immediately noticeable.

I think it's Talabecland that has an entirely different/possibly optional tree for religious buildings. Middenland might have Ulric worship as well. The way they work screams that they are or were planned as playable factions at some point.

Though, granted, it could just be that CA was really intent on getting the details of the setting right. They went so far as to add stuff as minor as a twice-off location from the Gotrek and Felix books.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 14, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm sure if there is money to be made CA will eventually release minor faction DLC.

So in my current greenskin campaign (on hard) I've just conquered all of the badlands, all of the orc and dwarfs to my south, and the main dwarf faction to the north (silver road or whatever). The big chaos push is happening now so I'm not quite sure if I want to go the Mt. Gunbad route and fight the dwarfs up there, or if I want to just raid the poo poo out of the VC and various human settlements. I'm a little concerned that the empire factions will start confederating soon (although they have shown no real signs of it yet). I think that's pretty much the only thing that would be able to slow me down. Any other greenskin leaders have ideas or advice on what to do next? I'm leaning towards dwarf extermination with a side of human/VC raiding (the Border Princes are pretty much my personal piggy bank).

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mazz posted:

I really, really hope the Border Princes, should they come out, aren't just realigned empire with some different lord buffs. That's such a waste since they could totally be unique with mercs like Carthage was.

I've mentioned it before, but I wouldn't want to play as "Tilea" or "The Border Princes". If I'm adventuring in the southern realms I want to be a Border Prince or some mercenary captain. I want to play as a Dog of War.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The only reason I suggested a Dogs of War/Minor Human nation DLC would be because comparatively it would make the South of the map more interesting, and it wouldn't be as difficult as making Skaven/Elves/Lizardmen/Ogres etc.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Wafflecopper posted:

I didn't say they were going to add Kislev soon or at all, nor was I suggesting they should do so. That's why I used the word "theoretical". Nice strawmanning though.

I didn't say you did. No need to be so defensive. We're both examining "theories".

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Archonex posted:

I mentioned it way back in my post about mods, but a lot of minor factions have some interesting features that you aren't likely to notice playing the current playable factions.

I think it's Talabecland that has an entirely different/possibly optional tree for religious buildings. Middenland might have Ulric worship as well. The way they work screams that they are or were planned as playable factions at some point.

Though, granted, it could just be that CA was really intent on getting the details of the setting right. They went so far as to add stuff as minor as a twice-off location from the Gotrek and Felix books.

I think almost all of those are tied to the cities and not the faction though. Like empire can do all of those things when they take those cities AFAIK. Just like Karak Kadrin has the Slayer capital but it doesn't really mean anything outside of giving you a reason to go there.

With Kislev and the border princes they literally have Kis_ or Teb_ as prefixes for lords and stuff in the files. It's a noticeable difference in that it implies they are built to be separated out, which implies a very real possibility of additional content for them.

Honestly I'm tempted to try my hand at making the Border Princes with the mercenary stuff since everything mostly exists in the files already, but I feel like with the watchtower thing I'm gonna get caught up somewhere with hardcoded mechanics that are really hard to work around. I'll probably try it anyway though since maybe it'll pan out/be interesting.

I should probably just post these ideas to the TW:W suggestions forums too and see what happens. I expect the worst though.

Triskelli posted:

I've mentioned it before, but I wouldn't want to play as "Tilea" or "The Border Princes". If I'm adventuring in the southern realms I want to be a Border Prince or some mercenary captain. I want to play as a Dog of War.

Well that's certainly a thing, you could just base it off of the Chaos horde design. Only problem is those factions already exist and it'd be a really weird mix, but it's probably doable.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 14, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

sassassin posted:

I didn't say you did. No need to be so defensive.

Then why quote me :psyduck:

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I'd really hoped that this bullshit fluff chat about stuff that isn't and may never be in the game was over now that the game was released but it turns out warhammer grogs' capacity for arguing about whether bear cavalry was ever a "real thing" in the "canon" was never ending

See also: I have some real important opinions about "sigmarines" which has the following to do about this total war fantasy game:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

terrorist ambulance posted:

I'd really hoped that this bullshit fluff chat about stuff that isn't and may never be in the game was over now that the game was released but it turns out warhammer grogs' capacity for arguing about whether bear cavalry was ever a "real thing" in the "canon" was never ending

See also: I have some real important opinions about "sigmarines" which has the following to do about this total war fantasy game:

I know you're probably not including me here, but to be clear I don't really give a single gently caress about the fluff, I just like brainstorming new poo poo to do in game that actually would feel interesting. Like I don't really care how far TBP went with the merc stuff in lore but it's a way to make them feel cool and good compared to being empire with a new lord rocking a different mustache and starting location.

Also sorry if Im loving up its and it's constantly, when phone posting I just let my phone decide which it feels like using.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 14, 2016

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Mazz posted:

I think almost all of those are tied to the cities and not the faction though. Like empire can do all of those things when they take those cities AFAIK. Just like Karak Kadrin has the Slayer capital but it doesn't really mean anything outside of giving you a reason to go there.

With Kislev and the border princes they literally have Kis_ or Teb_ as prefixes for lords and stuff in the files. It's a noticeable difference in that it implies they are built to be separated out, which implies a very real possibility of additional content for them.

Nope. In fact, when I took the city I was immediately confused as to why I had a building that didn't really do anything except reduce corruption. It even had a special message saying that the building was inappropriate to the area when I moused over it. They're basically independent to the faction similar to how religions and some cultural buildings in Shogun 2 work.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Archonex posted:

Nope. In fact, when I took the city I was immediately confused as to why I had a building that didn't really do anything except reduce corruption. It even had a special message saying that the building was inappropriate to the area when I moused over it. They're basically independent to the faction similar to how religions and some cultural buildings in Shogun 2 work.

I'll take a look then, I didn't notice any specific faction markers but I also didn't look very hard.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm sure if there is money to be made CA will eventually release minor faction DLC.

So in my current greenskin campaign (on hard) I've just conquered all of the badlands, all of the orc and dwarfs to my south, and the main dwarf faction to the north (silver road or whatever). The big chaos push is happening now so I'm not quite sure if I want to go the Mt. Gunbad route and fight the dwarfs up there, or if I want to just raid the poo poo out of the VC and various human settlements. I'm a little concerned that the empire factions will start confederating soon (although they have shown no real signs of it yet). I think that's pretty much the only thing that would be able to slow me down. Any other greenskin leaders have ideas or advice on what to do next? I'm leaning towards dwarf extermination with a side of human/VC raiding (the Border Princes are pretty much my personal piggy bank).

The Empire will absolutely start confederating once the major Chaos event happens. I only played on normal but my advice is to absolutely start attacking them now while they're distracted. The Dwarf holds will always be there but the opportunity bog down the Empire in a multi-front war is fleeting. Let Chaos deal with the Karak Kadrin and Zhufbar stunties while you go after bigger fish.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

terrorist ambulance posted:

You're mad because a thread about a game that uses an established IP includes discussion of said IP?

extraordinary
Jun 9, 2011
That was in the startpos file, I think:

wh_dlc03_emp_empire_qb1
wh_dlc03_emp_empire_qb2

wh_dlc03_emp_middenland
wh_dlc03_emp_middenland_qb1
wh_dlc03_emp_middenland_qb2

wh_dlc03_emp_marienburg
wh_dlc03_emp_marienburg_rebels

wh_dlc03_emp_wissenland_qb1
wh_dlc03_emp_wissenland_qb2
wh_dlc03_emp_wissenland_qb3
wh_dlc03_emp_wissenland_qb4

So unless I am misreading anything, they at one point planned middenland, wissenland and maybe Marienburg as factions in the grand campaign?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
On the subject of Wood Elves and beastmen:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
When is the Age of Sigmar DLC coming out?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
How hard would it be to create a mod that didn't allow armies to enter forced march the same turn they attack and made it so armies in forced march do not deny the area around them for enemy army movement?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mazz posted:

I may try to do something like this, but I'll just use the border princes or Tilea, probably Tilea, as my starting point. I would try the horde thing but we're talking implementing a new faction and making it work with the AI, which sounds about as fun as hitting myself in the dick with a hammer.

Yeah an AI mercenary horde faction would be a pain to manage, especially trying to get it to manage money without tearing down cities. Ideally as a player you would be able to get lots of quests to do things but again that's not much help for the AI.

New subject, but for everyone asking what the "bonus objectives" are, it's in the same menu as the long/short term objectives. You have a number of objectives per chapter, such as ranking X Lords to level Y, building certain unique buildings, or researching a certain number of technologies.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 14, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Deified Data posted:

On the subject of Wood Elves and beastmen:

It's a fine non-denial denial.

Not to say that the details and even the release order haven't changed over time but the CA response is pretty meaningless.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Reik posted:

How hard would it be to create a mod that didn't allow armies to enter forced march the same turn they attack and made it so armies in forced march do not deny the area around them for enemy army movement?

Harder than the common anti-forced march mods, which simply set the bonus it grants to 0%.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Triskelli posted:

Yeah a "Southern Realms" unit list based on the mercenary stuff that's out there wouldn't be too hard, they've got unique units like Duelists and unique heroes like Paymasters, but otherwise they're just able to recruit units from multiple factions like Norse marauders, Bretonnian Knights, and Dwarf Warriors.

I may try to do something like this, but I'll just use the border princes or Tilea, probably Tilea, as my starting point. I would try the horde thing but we're talking implementing a new faction and making it work with the AI, which sounds about as fun as hitting myself in the dick with a hammer.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014
Hopefully CA would enlargen the western side, which feels too compressed when looking at GW's maps of the old world. Would like to see the following mods:

For the southern men, I would like Tilea and Estelia have special mercenary buildings that make the global recruitment pool more viable. Like first lvl gives access to local troops in foreign provinces, second lvl gives -recruitment costs/time and so forth with additional unique units unlocked at each tier.

A sacked city mod that gives a minor bonus to replenishment rate in the region for the faction that last sacked it. Most warhammer lore often have orc tribess, chaos norse looters, undead gravediggers and empire/dwarf supply train that trail behind armies so let them "take over" the sacked city/town.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

After playing this I decided I had the urge to paint some dudes and maybe play again. It's been years.

WHFB is not a thing anymore. WHAT THE loving gently caress GW?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Arrgytehpirate posted:

After playing this I decided I had the urge to paint some dudes and maybe play again. It's been years.

WHFB is not a thing anymore. WHAT THE loving gently caress GW?

Don't start this argument, nothing good comes of it. Trust me.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Fans posted:

Not so much an argument as much as 3 pages of posters going, "Yeah, gently caress GW, huh?"

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah I was browsing GW yesterday to see how they ha all their old figures organized - I knew they were discontinued but figured they'd just keep selling their existing stock under new AoS labels. Nope! They just don't sell them anymore.

Has anyone visited a game store lately to see what they've done with their WHFB? Is it still being stocked?

FutonForensic posted:

Not so much an argument as much as 3 pages of posters going, "Yeah, gently caress GW, huh?"

This is fair. I rescind my question, it's off topic anyway.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

When did this happen? I've been GW free for maybe four years now. The codex going to 50 are what finally broke me.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
It's not as off topic as you think, the loader for the game told me the other day "You've played the game now explore the models!" and showed video game Karl Franz and model Karl Franz.

The model for a game that doesn't exist. Lol.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Arrgytehpirate posted:

When did this happen? I've been GW free for maybe four years now. The codex going to 50 are what finally broke me.

A while back the End Times actually happened and it was like a poorly written Games of Thrones story where like all the main characters died in the space of a month and then the world literally died, and sigmar (in the body of Karl franz) hurtles through space on a rock and when he lands this new game is created that is basically warhammer 40K but in olden times.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fans posted:

Not even once have I seen a single argument about it on this board. It's always just people agreeing.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought CA said for the remaining factions they were releasing entirely new standalone games with 3-4 factions each that would be compatible with each other - similar to Dawn of War, as opposed to dribbling out each one as DLC?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I know, why don't you wait and see instead of speculating endlessly. What factions will be dlc, free-dlc (flc makes no sense) and in the sequel's? WE'LL FIND OUT

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

el dingo posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought CA said for the remaining factions they were releasing entirely new standalone games with 3-4 factions each that would be compatible with each other - similar to Dawn of War, as opposed to dribbling out each one as DLC?

They're doing both. Check the link here:

John Charity Spring posted:

No idea when we can expect the Bretonnia free DLC (or the first paid DLC for that matter) but the roadmap here suggests we'll get a bunch of other free DLC first.

Bretonnia will be the one of the last free DLCs we get by this ordering (although presumably this is subject to change too).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Chomp8645 posted:

Not even once have I seen a single argument about it on this board. It's always just people agreeing.

I will argue that it's good because the game was bad and GW are saving people lots of money.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Deified Data posted:

The Empire will absolutely start confederating once the major Chaos event happens. I only played on normal but my advice is to absolutely start attacking them now while they're distracted. The Dwarf holds will always be there but the opportunity bog down the Empire in a multi-front war is fleeting. Let Chaos deal with the Karak Kadrin and Zhufbar stunties while you go after bigger fish.

Yeah I think that's a good plan since I'm kind of sick of fighting dwarfs anyway. I think I've actually been kind of lucky so far in my game since it seems like pretty much everyone hates everyone else.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, CA is still doing faction DLC outside of the expansions. They'll also be doing Lord, item, lore of magic and unit DLC packs. The main expansions they've announced are different from the faction DLC in that they also add entirely new campaigns whereas the faction DLC just adds playables to the grand campaign (the only campaign currently present).

I don't know why people wouldn't expect this when Chaos is already that and not even minor in that they're sort of the final boss and owning or not owning the DLC effects their lords and units/unit weapons. Both CA and GW will greatly enjoy releasing as many $9 factions as they are able to over the space between the new campaigns. If I had to guess, $60 in DLC spread between the various types between each $60 campaign sounds about right! We're currently 9/60.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Decus posted:

Yeah, CA is still doing faction DLC outside of the expansions. They'll also be doing Lord, item, lore of magic and unit DLC packs. The main expansions they've announced are different from the faction DLC in that they also add entirely new campaigns whereas the faction DLC just adds playables to the grand campaign (the only campaign currently present).

I don't know why people wouldn't expect this when Chaos is already that and not even minor in that they're sort of the final boss and owning or not owning the DLC effects their lords and units/unit weapons. Both CA and GW will greatly enjoy releasing as many $9 factions as they are able to over the space between the new campaigns. If I had to guess, $60 in DLC spread between the various types between each $60 campaign sounds about right! We're currently 9/60.

Technically they are also releasing Mini-campaign packs, like the Caesar in Gaul campaign for Rome that gives you a cool little mini-campaign to play and also unlocks a new faction for the Grand Campaign. (One of the more interesting bits today from the dlc file discovery thing was what looked like a list of factions for a Wood Elf mini-campaign.)

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

This DLC talk--the discussion is intensifying to the point where we may not be able to contain it. I was hoping they'd give some kind of reveal at E3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Triskelli posted:

Yeah an AI mercenary horde faction would be a pain to manage, especially trying to get it to manage money without tearing down cities. Ideally as a player you would be able to get lots of quests to do things but again that's not much help for the AI.

New subject, but for everyone asking what the "bonus objectives" are, it's in the same menu as the long/short term objectives. You have a number of objectives per chapter, such as ranking X Lords to level Y, building certain unique buildings, or researching a certain number of technologies.

The thing is I don't even mean in game problems, I mean the literal inclusion of a new faction into the game would be an absolute pain in the dick to implement. Changing existing assets is one thing, and adding units or buildings lets you leverage existing frameworks, but a new mechanic or faction is working at the highest/lowest level where you are dealing with a shitload of opaque information. Basically, a new faction would probably require me to make complex changes in like 60+ locations, instead of like the 12-15 I'd need to make Tilea work that way

Given that, I'm pretty interested in making Tilea or TBP work as a merc faction, reactivating the merc recruitment window, etc, it's just not going to be a new faction per-say. I probably also won't change it to a horde faction because I'm not sure I could get it to work fully.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 14, 2016

• Locked thread