Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Andrast posted:

But the client's wishes were the same as the billionaire's wishes in this case.

No, Hulk's wishes are "get as much money as possible" and Thiel's wishes are "bankrupt Gawker". Pursuant to that, the attorney structured the suit in such a way that it specifically excluded Gawker's insurance - when this gets overturned on appeal, as it almost certainly will, Hogan will wind up with far, far less money that he would have had they gone after the insurance company, which would have been far more likely to settle out of court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Also this is not the only suit Peter Thiel is currently funding against Gawker although he won't say exactly how many he is currently funding.

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
Did anyone ask the hulkster how much sushi is too much sushi? What is the recommended amount of sushi to eat before you're secretly filmed plowing your buddy's wife

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Peter Thiel planned this all along. He was in on it with Bubba and Heather. He wanted to inject a fatal dose of poison into Gawker and the legal system and the Hulkster was just his patsy.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

yep

https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/741385454877036544

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

BlueArmyMan posted:

[Extremely PSP poster voice] Using vast wealth to silence people and bankrupt press outlets I don't like is Cool and Good

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Same but unironically

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Mystery Opponent posted:

Did anyone ask the hulkster how much sushi is too much sushi? What is the recommended amount of sushi to eat before you're secretly filmed plowing your buddy's wife

while "like a pig" is a broad statement i think its important for every man to know his own personal limit of sushi before plowing his best and only friend's wife on video tape

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Angular Landbury posted:

See, this is a more interesting point than the PLUTOLIGARCHY stuff. Do you have anything I can read on this as it relates to the case? Legit interested.

I'm trying to find the original article from last year, but basically Judge Campbell committed egregious error in court -- she granted an injunction against Gawker in favor of Hogan, saying that Gawker needed to take the sex tape post down; Gawker immediately appealed on First Amendment grounds and the appeals court overturned her order; Gawker filed for dismissal on those grounds and Judge Campbell refused to dismiss.

Edit: So, basically, Gawker already has an appellate court ruling in its favor that should toss the entire case, but due to bullshit Florida laws and a judge who was pretty clearly biased against the company from the start, it needs to protect its assets while it goes through that appeals process (because it doesn't have the liquid capital to put $140 million or whatever in escrow), hence the Chapter 11 filing.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 10, 2016

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

oatgan posted:

while "like a pig" is a broad statement i think its important for every man to know his own personal limit of sushi before plowing his best and only friend's wife on video tape

one dragon roll and one rainbow roll otherwise i get too gassy before i'm filmed placing my <10in. peener into the willing bajingo of my truest friend's soulmate

Cartridgeblowers fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 10, 2016

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

Mystery Opponent posted:

"secretly filmed"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fslVUNDCJIU

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

what a t e r r i b l e world

what a b e a u t i f u l world
gawker is just selling the leg drop before firing up and going over!!!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So my takeaway from this whole situation is that literally every single person involved with this case on all fronts are giant pieces of poo poo?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jerusalem posted:

So my takeaway from this whole situation is that literally every single person involved with this case on all fronts are giant pieces of poo poo?

correct

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Quoting directly from the Gawker article about the bankrupcy:

quote:

In tandem with its bankruptcy filing, the company announced that it has entered into an asset purchase agreement with the media conglomerate Ziff Davis, which serves as an initial bid to purchase the company. The bankruptcy process will involve an auction of the company, including its seven main media brands, and several additional buyers beyond Ziff Davis are expected to enter the bidding.

Which means, in theory, that Thiel could win the auction, buy Gawker, and immediately shut it down and lay everyone off.

Of course then fueled by the win on appeal and the auction money, Gawker relaunches under a maskdifferent name and the angle continues until we get everyone in a cage down in the Greensboro Coliseum for Starrcade brother.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think any non-legal precedent has already been set by Thiel's involvement coming to light. What he's doing isn't illegal, though it is incredibly scummy, so it shouldn't have any bearing on the case at hand. Whether others follow his lead has nothing to do with the case: wanting Gawker to lose (or break down, as it may be) isn't some kind of statement, conscious or not, that what Thiel did is okay. It's certainly not a legal one.

Now, it's an egregious example of how exploitable the US Lawsuit system is for people who can afford to use legal fees against their opponents, and resolving that should probably be done (even if I'm not sure how to do so without banning all non-personally funded legal challenges, which would be mistake.) This, again, has nothing to do with the actual outcome of the case.

I'm happy Gawker is going bankrupt: hopefully the new owner won't out people without permission (speaking of which: unless a guy publicly says he's gay, don't out him. I'm ashamed of the people trying to defend Gawker's conduct regarding Thiel's orientation with "oh, everyone knew he was gay in the social circles he was in." Don't ever, ever try to use someone's sexuality against them, even if they're outwardly homophobic.) or participate in blackmail schemes (and retain the blogger who assissted the blackmailer) or, yes, publish sex tapes purporting to be for the public good (it might be so legally, but certainly not ethically.)

I also want Peter Thiel impaled on the top of the empire state building, but since that wasn't a possible outcome of the case, I'm happy with one of the awful parties involved getting hosed over instead of none of them.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

GeneX posted:

Don't ever, ever try to use someone's sexuality against them, even if they're outwardly homophobic.

No, I'm actually pretty sanguine with people actively lobbying for anti-gay laws to be involuntarily outed, just as I would be with neo-nazis with Jewish heritage being outed or KKK members with black ancestry being outed.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

where is roman reigns to save gawker

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

fatherdog posted:

No, I'm actually pretty sanguine with people actively lobbying for anti-gay laws to be involuntarily outed, just as I would be with neo-nazis with Jewish heritage being outed or KKK members with black ancestry being outed.

The best/worst/most pyrrhic part of this whole thing is Thiel actually did get tired of supporting a party that actively hated his lifestyle; in 2009 he quietly, privately helped fund a pro-LGBT organization called GOProud that would reform the Republican party to push out the homophobia and force them into the modern age without costing them elections.

They were almost immediately decried by other conservative lobbying groups, their biggest move was picking up Ann Coulter as a spokeswoman who then immediately made clear that she was against gay marriage, within two years they were banned from CPAC and within five years the organization dissolved and both of its public founders renounced the Republican party.

Peter Thiel is not only still a Republican but is an official delegate for Donald Trump here in San Francisco.

Peter Thiel is kind of an rear end in a top hat and there is a reason virtually every gay activist around here loving hates him..

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
But how do I, a Something Awful forums poster with hundreds of dollars to my name, begin to fundamentally and radically change the legal system of a large nation?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Shima Honnou posted:

But how do I, a Something Awful forums poster with hundreds of dollars to my name, begin to fundamentally and radically change the legal system of a large nation?

I think I can help you with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXCkxlqFd90

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

gently caress hulk hogan and film it

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

oatgan posted:

gently caress hulk hogan and film it

You shouldn't ask someone else to do this unless you're willing to do the same yourself

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

It's oatgan

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

ill do it, for my country

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

You, oatgan, are a Real American :patriot:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I hosed Hulk Hogan and filmed it but he insisted on wearing the Mr. America mask the whole time and now no one will believe me :( Swerved by the fuckin Hulkster again

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I'll work myself and shoot on you, Hulkster baby

:wink:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tato posted:

I hosed Hulk Hogan and filmed it but he insisted on wearing the Mr. America mask the whole time and now no one will believe me :( Swerved by the fuckin Hulkster again

I got bad news for you dude, you had sex with Mr. America who just told you he was Hulk Hogan to get into your pants. You should have been able to tell because Mr. America's arms aren't quite as large as Hulk Hogan's, who has THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD BROTHER!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Jerusalem posted:

I got bad news for you dude, you had sex with Mr. America who just told you he was Hulk Hogan to get into your pants. You should have been able to tell because Mr. America's arms aren't quite as large as Hulk Hogan's, who has THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD BROTHER!

Mr. America does not have a 10 inch penis, but Hulk Hogan does. That's how you can tell.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The thing about the precedent the case would set is, either option would have set a horrible loving precedent.

If Hogan's claims were dismissed as invalid, it would set the precedent that public figures have no right to privacy, anywhere, period. True, Gawker argued that Hogan's racist comments were the reason it was valid, but that could be easily challenged on 1A grounds; making it legal to post sex tapes or nudes of somebody as vengeance for hate speech would, while roundabout, be a pretty big 1A no-no, as far as I'm aware. In which case, it either gets broadened to public figures as a whole (which is bad news bears), or Hogan simply appeals and we end up where we're currently at.

I really wish someone could just use the Men In Black memory wiper thing on everyone involved in this case, because I don't think I want either precedent to be true; imagine if the media response to the Fappening had been outlets posting image dumps of celebrity nudes.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Basically what we have is a three tiered poo poo dyke

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The thing about the precedent the case would set is, either option would have set a horrible loving precedent.

If Hogan's claims were dismissed as invalid, it would set the precedent that public figures have no right to privacy, anywhere, period. True, Gawker argued that Hogan's racist comments were the reason it was valid, but that could be easily challenged on 1A grounds; making it legal to post sex tapes or nudes of somebody as vengeance for hate speech would, while roundabout, be a pretty big 1A no-no, as far as I'm aware. In which case, it either gets broadened to public figures as a whole (which is bad news bears), or Hogan simply appeals and we end up where we're currently at.

I really wish someone could just use the Men In Black memory wiper thing on everyone involved in this case, because I don't think I want either precedent to be true; imagine if the media response to the Fappening had been outlets posting image dumps of celebrity nudes.

Here's why that argument fails. They didn't post a video of the racist comments, they didn't write about the racist comments. They posted a video of an old man having sex and wrote about an old man having sex.

Then when he was hell bent on a lawsuit, somehow, don't ask me, news of the Sex Tape having a racist tirade on it leaked, and now they're trying to rewrite history into that being the reason it should have been allowed. But the thing is, the original post is still up, it mentions nothing, the video is still up, it has no racist tirade or anything else.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Onmi posted:

Here's why that argument fails. They didn't post a video of the racist comments, they didn't write about the racist comments. They posted a video of an old man having sex and wrote about an old man having sex.

Then when he was hell bent on a lawsuit, somehow, don't ask me, news of the Sex Tape having a racist tirade on it leaked, and now they're trying to rewrite history into that being the reason it should have been allowed. But the thing is, the original post is still up, it mentions nothing, the video is still up, it has no racist tirade or anything else.
Well, not exactly, the video's been removed for over three years. And now Hogan got a restraining order (for now; Gawker's latest appeal technically covers the TRO as well) from Campbell saying that Gawker can ever post it.

Their theory on the relevance of the racist comments is a bit convoluted, but goes something like this:

Hogan was all jokey and stuff in talking about the sex tape until he found out that there were additional videos and one of them had his racist comments. So Gawker figures that he didn't actually suffer emotional damages (or not enough, legally speaking) over the whole naked sex tape Thermos joke thing, instead being upset that the Gawker post would be the catalyst for the racist comments coming out. So if he sued Gawker, it would deter people from releasing the racist comments.

Again, that's their theory, and it has some believability to it. Even if you don't believe it, it's at least more than "The sex tape is relevant because reasons."

And since it can't be said enough: If anyone on the Gawker side was an Enquirer leak, they're loving idiots who endangered the case because violating the court order would immediately be a loss for Gawker. That said, it doesn't appear to be anyone from the Gawker camp, because the sources appear to have had access to the video/audio, which Gawker didn't (the Enquirer article had different wording and additional lines not in the rough "summary transcript" that Gawker's lawyers had). While the lawyers eventually saw it (they didn't get to keep a copy), it was after the fact.

I do think that if Gawker had gotten the racist tape, Daulerio, for all of his faults, would have prioritized that over the "lol Thermos" stuff. What's interesting is that TMZ, who DID have that video, didn't.

(Also: Hi everybody! I found that a decent thread on this crazy poo poo was enough to finally get me to pay the $10. So yay.)

davidbix fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 14, 2016

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
You know, maybe there were two good things that came out of all of this.

Welcome to SA, David Bixenspan :unsmith:

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Electric Lady posted:

You know, maybe there were two good things that came out of all of this.

Welcome to SA, David Bixenspan :unsmith:
Thank you, Electric Lady!

Now, to keep this post from just being a bullshit thank you, here's the email from Dixie Carter to Hogan that was read during the trial:

quote:

I love you to death, but I have to be honest and say 1 think this interview is SO beneath you. TMZ used it to verbally set up the sex tape, and took what you said to drag this story out even further with sensational headlines, etc. It benefits them, but NOT you. I ant on your team, but people like RentACenter and others can look at this differently. I am surprised your attorney let you agree to the interview, but I have to say this as well, seeing your attorney's face/name on this makes me think he did this more for him than you.

Terry, this is my specialty. Had I known you were going to do this I would have tried to stop you and said to issue a simple statement. It would have positioned you in a much more positive light and thrown water on this story to extinguish it versus fuel on it to keep it going. I am here to help you. It still may make sense to issue a statement, because if not, media will now just pick out the TMZ sensational headlines and run with that.

Let me know if you want to talk. And again, please let me help you if you ever find yourself in a situation like this in the future.....

PDF: https://www.scribd.com/doc/315629190/Gawker-Exhibit-165-Dixie-Email-to-Hogan-03-08-12-OCR

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

And then Hogan took one look at TNA and said "I'm good"

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Dixie Carter being in charge of Hogan's PR is probably the only thing that could've made this trial any funnier.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Charles Harder & Peter Thiel have jumped the shark: http://gawker.com/now-peter-thiels-lawyer-wants-to-silence-reporting-on-t-1781918385

The whole thing is so much more obvious the more frivolous claims Harder takes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
Oh wow, The Bix is here. Big fan of your work.

• Locked thread