Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

The 'wolves are on the precipice of being good and I am not sure they have the minutes for someone who is going to need a lot of them to develop. Especially at SF which is probably at least his initial position.

Defending the 4 is going to be easier for him than defending the 3, especially since he has the size already. Like IP said, there are minutes for someone who can shoot. For the Wolves, they will have at least one season at low-to-mid 40 wins before they crack 50. Bender could have time to be brought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

He is 7' 225 he's a PF. Also our bench is bad so there's plenty of places to play him.

You know who else was 7' and 225 lbs? That's right you guessed it Frequency Vibrations he's a PG

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

He is 7' 225 he's a PF. Also our bench is bad so there's plenty of places to play him.
I feel like he's inevitably going to end up at C no matter what anyone says. But that's just my old pea brain.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Metapod posted:

You know who else was 7' and 225 lbs? That's right you guessed it Frequency Vibrations he's a PG

lmao

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

I feel like he's inevitably going to end up at C no matter what anyone says. But that's just my old pea brain.
he plays incredibly small

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

straight up brolic posted:

he plays incredibly small

Question in earnest: what does "playing small" mean? More outside jumpers, not a big rebounder?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

NickRoweFillea posted:

Question in earnest: what does "playing small" mean? More outside jumpers, not a big rebounder?
in his case he's skinny, weak, doesn't have a great vertical, has good lateral quickness and agility, and uses a low defensive position. When you see him on the court, he moves like a perimeter oriented player instead of a center. With the way the league is going it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lockback posted:

Defending the 4 is going to be easier for him than defending the 3, especially since he has the size already. Like IP said, there are minutes for someone who can shoot. For the Wolves, they will have at least one season at low-to-mid 40 wins before they crack 50. Bender could have time to be brought up.

He has the height but not the weight or the playstyle. You're asking someone who has the least basketball experience out of anyone in the draft to play a new position in the NBA on a team that wants to win 40 games. That seems like a bad idea.

I actually fully believe he has the potential to get there, but in like, three years and a lot of minutes. His best home would probably be with the Lakers or the Sixers, but that's probably not going to happen. Maybe the Suns! But patience for rebuilds isn't Sarver's strong suit.

I dunno, maybe the Celtics draft him and don't bring him over yet. They don't HAVE to pay his buyout.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rick posted:

I dunno, maybe the Celtics draft him and don't bring him over yet. They don't HAVE to pay his buyout.

No, but they do have to offer him a contract to keep his rights and his buyout isn't very big. He could just pay it himself then accept the contract offer.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/bob_ford/20160614_Ford__Ingram_works_out__Embiid_stands_out.html

More Embiid info and pics, but also includes Colangelo talking about how they're very interested in the medical records of both Ingram and Simmons.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

in his case he's skinny, weak, doesn't have a great vertical, has good lateral quickness and agility, and uses a low defensive position. When you see him on the court, he moves like a perimeter oriented player instead of a center. With the way the league is going it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Ty for helping me become a more well rounded hoops understander.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

IcePhoenix posted:

No, but they do have to offer him a contract to keep his rights and his buyout isn't very big. He could just pay it himself then accept the contract offer.

Buyout is 1.3 million, I don't know how much he's making but average salary for the league is like ~100k a year and at least at this point Bender isn't exactly a star over there. You only have to pay half the buyout up front but 650K is still a lot. I guess he could get a loan.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rick posted:

Buyout is 1.3 million, I don't know how much he's making but average salary for the league is like ~100k a year and at least at this point Bender isn't exactly a star over there. You only have to pay half the buyout up front but 650K is still a lot. I guess he could get a loan.

Yeah, it's like 650k up front, which I think is a pretty small buyout for a player like him? And his first year salary is like 4 million if he gets taken third, so I'm sure he'd be able to get a loan.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

This isn't a problem with 4s. More 4s are perimeter-oriented and use the drive anyway, very few are straight post players. I don't think he can play center, but I do think he can play the high post where he can use his length to get his shot off, and once he gets some weight (he's 18, he'll add weight) play off the pick and roll/pop and being a catch and shoot guy. This is basically exactly what you want in a 4 today. I think he'll slot in at the 4 pretty easily, that's what everyone is projecting him as.

Yeah, he'll have defensive issues, but that'll happen regardless. It'll also happen with most of the top picks in the draft. At least at 7' he's going to bother shooters and grab a few boards.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Lockback posted:

This isn't a problem with 4s. More 4s are perimeter-oriented and use the drive anyway, very few are straight post players. I don't think he can play center, but I do think he can play the high post where he can use his length to get his shot off, and once he gets some weight (he's 18, he'll add weight) play off the pick and roll/pop and being a catch and shoot guy. This is basically exactly what you want in a 4 today. I think he'll slot in at the 4 pretty easily, that's what everyone is projecting him as.

Yeah, he'll have defensive issues, but that'll happen regardless. It'll also happen with most of the top picks in the draft. At least at 7' he's going to bother shooters and grab a few boards.
I think it's a problem on offense, but not on defense. He's quick for a 7 foot guy, but he's not exactly fleet of foot, I don't think he'll be able to take people off the bounce in the NBA and he has no vert, his offensive peak will probably be like a 3 and D four, but he could be an amazing defender.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was hard to keep from watching Embiid during this exchange, and during the one about whether Dario Saric will show up this season, even though it would mean a potential financial risk. Embiid took entry passes and spun this way and that. He shot lefthanded. He shot righthanded. He did drop steps. He ducked under. He floated soft hooks through the net. He powered to the basket for dunks. Finally, he did a crossover dribble from right to left behind his legs, took one gigantic stride and rose above the rim, above everything, above all the upturned faces gaping at him, above the very limit of hope an NBA franchise can have in one player, and he brought the ball down through the rim with a crash.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I think it's a problem on offense, but not on defense. He's quick for a 7 foot guy, but he's not exactly fleet of foot, I don't think he'll be able to take people off the bounce in the NBA and he has no vert, his offensive peak will probably be like a 3 and D four, but he could be an amazing defender.

You don't need a great first step to create your offense from the high post, but you need to be either really skilled or really strong, and, well,

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Rick posted:

You don't need a great first step to create your offense from the high post, but you need to be either really skilled or really strong, and, well,
Rick he doesn't really play high post yet at all :/ he just trolls the perimeter and makes baseline cuts. He's really underdeveloped on that end. I agree that he could be good operating out of high post eventually, but he's been taking people off bounce from perimeter in Israel.

e: like I can't remember if I've EVER seen him score a basket that wasn't at the rim or the three point line.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Bulls supposedly told Baldwin they'll take him if he's there and nobody unexpected falls

Good poo poo if true

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

euphronius posted:

It was hard to keep from watching Embiid during this exchange, and during the one about whether Dario Saric will show up this season, even though it would mean a potential financial risk. Embiid took entry passes and spun this way and that. He shot lefthanded. He shot righthanded. He did drop steps. He ducked under. He floated soft hooks through the net. He powered to the basket for dunks. Finally, he did a crossover dribble from right to left behind his legs, took one gigantic stride and rose above the rim, above everything, above all the upturned faces gaping at him, above the very limit of hope an NBA franchise can have in one player, and he brought the ball down through the rim with a crash.

Where Amazing Happens

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

xbilkis posted:

Bulls supposedly told Baldwin they'll take him if he's there and nobody unexpected falls

Good poo poo if true
I would be very surprised if the Jazz do not take him. I guess they could take Luwawu if he's still on the board

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

after half-assedly reading a few draft articles, watching a few games of march madness, I am now an NBA draft expert and I want the Bulls to take Luwawu and I'll be really angry if they don't outside of all proportion to any knowledge i have about this draft while seething about gar forman as is my god-given right

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Timothe Luwawu owns and I would want him too OP.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
And then after that phase is over you move on to Korkmaz as your favorite mystery box.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Timothe Luwawu owns and I would want him too OP.

Mega Leks is kind of the kentucky of the Baltics. I'm interested to see if any of their guys pan out, or if everyone's being mindfreaked by seeing young players get to play against real competition

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Some scout from DX has his notes up in a publicly viewable spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GG5XsWIWf9v6HKYUG_4cUsrwYxw0g2mUctWhQmcQzn8/edit#gid=280978610

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

I am so hoping Poeltl or Bender fall to six...

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

poltl at 6 is early, he'll be there

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

poltl at 6 is early, he'll be there

Cool. My top 3 of players-who-are-likely-to-be-there-at-six are those two and Hield just a smidgen behind. It doesn't look like I need to worry about basketball-IQ (I wish I knew of a better, less demeaning term than this) continuous, poor decision making with any of them.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 15, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/joshmansour/status/743099983906385920

:thumbsup:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Metapod posted:

He'll bust because of that bad apple Victor Van Lier.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
He's gonna be out of the league after his first year except then he'll sign with another team and be MVP, DPOY, Finals MVP, 1st Team All-NBA, and average 55 points a game

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I had Poltl going to the Pelicans because 1)He's the safest pick (safe being, he'll almost surely play and contribute to the team who drafts him) and 2) They need a center. I could see one of the higher teams just saying "ah gently caress this draft" and picking him though, too.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/742900225208156160?s=09

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

woooooooooow

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

A lot of talk about health issues for Ulis (hip) and Valentine (knee).

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Ulis sucks anyway.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I was just looking at the still shot and thinking, huh I guess that's pretty impressive (no idea if it actually is or not, but it is to my untrained eye). Then I played the video.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2016/story/_/id/16229827/ben-simmons-declines-work-philadelphia-76ers

Simmons not working out has officially reached the point of sportsguy fake outrage, I'd skip the video at the top of the page or pause it before it gets too gross. Although it autoplays into Kevin Hart criticizing Rich Paul so it's kind of an interesting couterpoint to the first Max Kellerman freakout video.

I just posted to source the quote:

quote:

"Brandon is everything we thought he was. Obviously in a one-on-none workout you aren't going to learn everything about a player, but that is why we scouted a lot of basketball games, watched a lot of tape," Colangelo said. "He is a versatile forward that can handle the ball, shoot the ball. ... He is a silky-smooth small forward."

When asked whether he thought the team would pick Ingram over Simmons, Colangelo said, "It changes every day."

This is my fault, I've been starting to finally drink the Ingram Kool-Aid and now he's going to go first, the Lakers and I still have karmic debts to pay.

Grittybeard posted:

I was just looking at the still shot and thinking, huh I guess that's pretty impressive (no idea if it actually is or not, but it is to my untrained eye). Then I played the video.

My exact reaction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ulis sucks anyway.

I dunno that he sucks as much as he's like physically unable to play NBA basketball. He'd go super high if he were 6'1" but he is so loving tiny both in height and weight.

Catching up (I was in Europe for two weeks, it was dope) I also think Chriss anywhere from like 5 or so on is okay as a swing for the fences but that says way more about the draft than it does my faith in him actually becoming something. Chad Ford talking about him going like top two or whatever is insane though.

I would be very surprised if the Jazz do not take him. I guess they could take Luwawu if he's still on the board

Baldwin is a nice fit for what Utah needs from a point guard (in that his weakness is doing actually point guard things that Hayward, Hood, and Burks can help cover up) to the point that I assume there's no way they'd actually draft him because they're afraid he'd get in the way of Exum or something stupid like that. He's kinda garbage at getting to the rim or running an offense but he can defend opposing point guards and spot up while someone else runs a pick and roll.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 16, 2016

• Locked thread