Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

can't imagine what it would be like troubleshooting the actual physical thin client though when it's at home. Most of my clients have policy of "if you're working from home use your own computer/ipad" and they're in charge of everything up until they can get to the internet, then we support connecting to the RDP session.

That's the trouble since most of these people are kinda old and don't really have personal computers, and have the technical aptitude of "Where's the any key?"

Thin clients are just something I've never explored before that appeared to be the most barebones machine you can get, I was also looking into Chromebooks but the requirements brief changed. If I went with regular desktops would the best option be just to leave them off the domain with a very restricted local user account which runs remote desktop on startup?

I'll have a looky at the cloud offerings, but I know it'll be a hard pill to sell as we're already bleeding money from over priced crappy hosted stuff which we're ditching as soon as.
(No joke we've had two occasions where incoming telephone calls jumped straight into someones live call containing confidential legal discussion, thanks VOIP service)

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Our PBX somehow assigned line two to ... some sort of open mic somewhere else in the building (in a part we don't lease) after a reboot, so we could overhear someone talking to their coworker for like fifteen minutes until I rebooted it again which magically resolved it. The dumb thing is the wiring is all analog so the root cause of the problem still exists, just the PBX isn't making that connection anymore. In conclusion gently caress phones and I can't wait to move all our stuff to VoIP once we're done making sure QoS is working across the board and get our backup connections in.

Best part is gonna be tearing the three decades of 66 blocks* off the wall and dumping them and all the associated cross connect wire in the bin.

* unnecessary 66 blocks at that because no one ever cleans their bullshit wiring jobs up and is content to just tack on another block and add another mess of cabling and move on to the next job without a care in the world as to future management/troubleshooting.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 12, 2016

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I'm not sure If this is the best place to post this but this topic seems the most accurate to my situation. I work with a very small company, and the boss wants to set up a database so they can ping their repeat customers with e-blasts. The most obvious way to do the actual database is through Excel and Access, however, I'm mostly flying blind, and I have no idea what e-blast solution I should look towards considering there's like a million of them. Does anyone have any specific recommendations? The client list is about a hundred strong.

Side note: The previous guy in my position bricked his terminal on their old rear end Linux setup before he left so whenever anyone tries to access it, it just throws garbage and "!ERROR=20" or "!ERROR=27 (RETURN/RETRY/Looping ERROR)". Also, when I say old, I mean green screen CRTs and completely text based. I don't think they've considered upgrading their computer systems since the 80s.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
For a hundred people I'd probably just use a Google Sheet and the Yet Another Mail Merge addon since that's like all of $25 and you'll be done in about eight minutes start to finish.

We use a third party service with a full blown API for the big blasts (like tens of thousands) but that seems incredibly overkill for your situation.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

For a few hundred we use Mail Chimp. I'm not sure what drove them to this vendor, but it's worked pretty well for us. I do nothing at all with the mail marking and sales puts it together, I suggest you try and wipe your hands clean and find the easiest solution for someone in a similar position to use. If no one exists in that role yet, get something that you can transition to that person when they do exist.

edit: Apparently under 2,000 subscribers and under 12,000 mails a month is free. This is probably why we use them.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Both of those look like good fits. Thanks a lot. :)

stevewm
May 10, 2005
+1 on Mailchimp.. We use it for a slightly bigger list of 9,000. Importing a list and sending out email blasts is easy with it, even a a non-technical person should be able to do it once everything is setup. We also send all of our automated emails from our POS/ERP system through their bulk sending backend called Mandrill.

Just remember though, Mailchimp now requires all accounts to have SPF and DKIM setup properly for whatever sending domain(s) you want to use through the service. I would imagine most other such services have followed suit by now. So you'll need DNS access to get the records setup.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
We use MadMimi and boss is happy with it.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

mailchimp is great and fwiw I've heard from two different people emma is a pain in the rear end (from end user perspective) so don't use that probably.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Constant Contact is also worth looking at. Don't do this in house. This is one of those things that is easy and cheap enough to do the "right" way and never have to worry about it again.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah if you try it yourself then someone will gently caress up and you'll get your actual used-for-business domain blacklisted.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I had to go through the de-blacklisting process when our company blasted a few hundred thousand people from an SMTP server they ran on an AWS instance :v:

That was several days of my life I'll never get back.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sheep posted:

I had to go through the de-blacklisting process when our company blasted a few hundred thousand people from an SMTP server they ran on an AWS instance :v:

That was several days of my life I'll never get back.

How the gently caress does someone have workloads on AWS and not see that there is a service designed for sending mass email right there in the dashboard?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Three words: developers, marketing, contractors.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh god, you've summoned a monster.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
klaatu, barada...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

We also use this for external spamming.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, isn't that fun. One of the latest Windows updates for Windows 7 just broke our printing GPOs. Just bog standard GPO printers via Policy (not Preference.) Thankfully we only have a couple of physical PCs left and I haven't applied updates to our VDIs yet.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Internet Explorer posted:

Well, isn't that fun. One of the latest Windows updates for Windows 7 just broke our printing GPOs. Just bog standard GPO printers via Policy (not Preference.) Thankfully we only have a couple of physical PCs left and I haven't applied updates to our VDIs yet.

Just to clarify, this only appears to occur if you are using security filtering and authenticated users do not have read permissions to the GPO. Still, I'd expect Microsoft to pull/revise the update, as they haven't given consistent guidance on whether or not authenticated users should always have read permissions to GPOs.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 15, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

Just to clarify, this only appears to occur if you are using security filtering and authenticated users do not have read permissions to the GPO. Still, I'd expect Microsoft to pull/revise the update, as they haven't given consistent guidance on whether or not authenticated users should always have read permissions to GPOs.

One of our users has a policy without read permissions, but the other all had GPOs with authenticated users. [Edit: I'm a dummy and forgot all of our printer policies use Security Filtering and posted without checking.]

[Edit: Any idea what KB it was specifically? Have not had a chance to dig deeper into it.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 15, 2016

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Internet Explorer posted:

One of our users has a policy without read permissions, but the other all had GPOs with authenticated users.

[Edit: Any idea what KB it was specifically? Have not had a chance to dig deeper into it.]

KB3159398

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thank you.

For anyone else dealing with this, decent thread on Reddit about it - https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/4o78yo/kb3159398_or_kb3164033_seems_to_remove_all/

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 15, 2016

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
My CDW rep just broke up with me after I ended up going with another solution/VAR for new servers and storage.

quote:

It’s been a pleasure working together, but both [inside sales guy] and myself feel your account would be better managed by a different CDW Account Manager. Through a number of projects we’ve worked on in the past two years it has become increasingly clear that you view both CDW’s value and relationships with partners in a fairly incompatible way with the way [inside sales guy] and I work. Because of this I think it would be best for both CDW and Charter to have a different Account Manager on your account with a different approach to the job.

Best of luck to you. We’ll make sure that both [companies you support] are assigned to a very competent Account Manager who may have a bit more time on their hands to help you fully price and spec out all options and manufacturers for each given project you’re working on. We’ve sent this to our manager to review and determine the best AM to work with you to ensure a smooth transition. I’ll send an intro email when someone has been picked to cover your accounts.
Apparently, I must have not gotten the handbook for VAR etiquette or I'm the worst customer ever or something. Alrighty then. :thumbsup:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well... That seems super unprofessional.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
on the contrary thats a really polite and professional way of telling someone to gently caress off

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You don't need to tell the customer everything. You're getting switched to a new rep, the end.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Did you overwork your VAR on quotes or something?

That email is actually pretty impressive.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Man I haven't given my SHI account people the time of day in two and a half years except to get quotes and never buy their poo poo and they still haven't sent me anything on that level.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

How do I switch reps at a VAR, Dell to be exact. I've asked for a quote over the phone and they "forward it to my rep" which I tell them they never respond to me. I'm pretty fed up with Dell and the rep that was assigned shortly before I started. CFO wants quotes from Dell because predecessor used to get such good deals buying direct or something. I just need to compare the drat price and haven't gotten jack. I've asked for the same quote every 2 weeks for the last 3 months completely fed up, and phone support just "emails my rep" is Dell telling me they just don't like money? I don't know what I did to piss them off but actually want to see them fired for ignoring emails and phone messages and the one time they said hang on going to put you on hold then hung up and have been dodging me.

They hosed a quote to invoice up and forgot a wireless card on a desktop that they told me I didn't need (CFO wanted it in her new computer for "options") wasn't charged for it, but still I emailed about the error after receiving the computer and never got back and everything is "you need to sort it out with the rep". CFO doesn't care about it anymore I don't care about it just let me get a quote for a sever. I don't want an HP, their support in my local area is terrible.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

pixaal posted:

How do I switch reps at a VAR, Dell to be exact

Wait like, three weeks?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah start the process for speccing out a large order and you'll have a new rep at some point just before you sign off and have to start again.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

quote:

One of our users has a policy without read permissions, but the other all had GPOs with authenticated users. [Edit: I'm a dummy and forgot all of our printer policies use Security Filtering and posted without checking.]

KB3159398

Cross posting this

Microsoft claims this is intended KB article

Resolution:

To resolve this issue, use the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC.MSC) and follow one of the following steps:

Add the Authenticated Users group with Read Permissions on the Group Policy Object (GPO).
OR
If you are using security filtering, add the Domain Computers group with read permission.

Yes Microsoft just changed how GPOs work, even if you block the update new stuff will have this fix and you will just be holding back the problem and run into it later. Put off approving it until you fix your GPOs then approve it and move on. It's an extra step for making new filtered GPOs. It's lovely but server 2016 will have this in the RTM and unless you want to just never update windows 10 past the current security level so will that.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 16, 2016

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Also worth noting is that CDW can sell Dell gear now. I have a completely useless Dell rep thats managed to stick around for over a year. I also have a couple of great CDW reps. As soon as I heard CDW could do Dell quotes I started going with them and getting hardware has gotten so much easier and better.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

pixaal posted:

If you are using security filtering, add the Domain Computers group with read permission.
Ok, so before I go and apply this and break poo poo, let me run what I've got by someone and tell me how bad things are.

We have about 30 GPOs in total, ranging from the addition of specific printers to setting DNS suffixes to mapping network drives.

Our domain is structured like:

code:
DOMAIN
  |
  +---- PHYSICAL LOCATION 1
  |              |
  |              +---- DEPARTMENT 1
  |              |
  |              +---- DEPARTMENT 2
  |              
  +---- PHYSICAL LOCATION 2
  |              |
  |              |
  |              
                 |
                 +---- DEPARTMENT 1
                 |
                 +---- DEPARTMENT 2
Now let's say we have a printer at PL1 that only D1 uses. Up until now what we've done is create a security group called "PL1D1 Printer Group" for example, added each of the people in that department to it, linked the "PL1D1 Printer" GPO object to the PL1D1 OU, and then on the security filtering, set it to be "PL1D1 Printer Group" and been done with it. Now, in writing this, I realize this might be a bad example because printers are typically user-based, not computer-based, but if I add "Domain Computers" to that policy, it's not going to apply to every Domain Computer, it's still only going to *apply* to the computers in PL1D1, it's just that potentially every computer *can* read that policy (not necessarily apply it), right?

I just want to make sure that I'm clear on what I'm doing before I go ahead.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Add Read delegation to Domain Computers. Don't add it to the security filter.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Jeoh posted:

Add Read delegation to Domain Computers. Don't add it to the security filter.
And to confirm, I need to do this to every single GPO?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

nexxai posted:

Ok, so before I go and apply this and break poo poo, let me run what I've got by someone and tell me how bad things are.

We have about 30 GPOs in total, ranging from the addition of specific printers to setting DNS suffixes to mapping network drives.

Our domain is structured like:

code:

DOMAIN
  |
  |              |
  |              |
  |              
  +---- PHYSICAL LOCATION 2
  |              |
  |              |
  |              
                 |
                 +---- DEPARTMENT 1
                 |
                 +---- DEPARTMENT 2

Now let's say we have a printer at PL1 that only D1 uses. Up until now what we've done is create a security group called "PL1D1 Printer Group" for example, added each of the people in that department to it, linked the "PL1D1 Printer" GPO object to the PL1D1 OU, and then on the security filtering, set it to be "PL1D1 Printer Group" and been done with it. Now, in writing this, I realize this might be a bad example because printers are typically user-based, not computer-based, but if I add "Domain Computers" to that policy, it's not going to apply to every Domain Computer, it's still only going to *apply* to the computers in PL1D1, it's just that potentially every computer *can* read that policy (not necessarily apply it), right?

I just want to make sure that I'm clear on what I'm doing before I go ahead.

You are correct in that only the computers in PL1D1 will apply the policy. You really don't need the security filtering in this case though. The OU acts as the limiter for which systems will be able to apply that policy anyways, so all you've done is add more complexity for no real reason.

You'd use security filtering if you needed to limit access to the printer to a subset of users in that department.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

nexxai posted:

And to confirm, I need to do this to every single GPO?

Only policies where you have removed the default Authenticated Users group from security filtering

E: also only on policies that apply user settings

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Usually you use security filtering if you just want to dump the GPO at the top highest level (domain root, or building) and add users to a group to get them what they need. While it's nice that everyone in sales needs the sales drive, the CFO also needs the sales drive, and oh now billy the new shipping manager used to work in sales, he'll need access sometimes too!

It just removes that entire headache if you add that to root, add the sales security group to the Sales Drive Security filter (or to Drive - S Sales Group if you want to keep the filter to only a single line)

There's two ways to do GPOs using OUs and using security filters, using both is kind of silly pick one. It might depend on the GPO, I find printers and drives always have exceptions and if you try to do it with OUs you end up with an OU for each user after a few years of making exceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I still dont understand fully why Microsoft is doing this.

With their workaround anyone can see all of the GPOs in your environment which seems less secure to me.