Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Tried a very hard chaos campaign (one restart):

Leave me alooone! Those loving dwarfs have been chasing me since turn 3-4, they don't even care about attrition, already killed one full army of them. Also, the Vargs and Skaeldirs are chasing me with all their forces too. This is hilarious and sad. They will caught me sooner or later. I can't even raze/subjugate properly because I always have 2+ stacks threatening me.

What the heck is that army.

Ok game, you win. I guess I'll play Chaos on normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Side note, if you pause in battle you're giving yourself a give boost over the AI. It's 100% unfair to judge the AI if you pause.

I completely disagree with this. The AI can give simultaneous orders to all its troops, is constantly aware of everything that is happening on the battlefield and can react to multiple threats at once. Players have to use a mouse to give orders and can only see what they have the camera pointed at. Pausing doesn't give the player a boost over the AI at all, it lets them play by the same rules.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Mazz posted:

This is not specifically at you Arch but to everyone in the thread: If it's really easy and you aren't playing on VH, then maybe you need to step up in difficulty. Even then, once you learn the mechanics of the game the AI is not going to compete with you once you're over the early game hump because it simply can't given the number of variables involved. The only way to make it stay competitive is to let it cheat out some of the more complex systems, as they do. Legendary pushes past this into full player disadvantage mode, which is why I don't advocate it for most people.

My issue is that both Hard and Very Hard have some issues:

Hard:
A bit too easy

Very Hard:
Your dudes lose every single 1:1 fight unless you have leveled the hell out of your general

The first 20-30 turns of campaigns are always exciting, I find that the losing equal matchups thing really sucks on Very Hard. As Orks my boyz are gonna lose to enemy Boyz and are gonna be evenly matched with Goblin Spearmen. That's going to last a while until I level Grimgor, get some gear, get some levels, and can make a decent army comp. Empire is brutal, you are charging reiksguard into the back of stuff as your guys melt to equivalent units.

It's all doable yet I find it feels lovely somehow. I get giving the AI advantages but the improvements to troop quality with the way melee attack / defense work are a bit unsatisfying.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rakthar posted:

My issue is that both Hard and Very Hard have some issues:

Hard:
A bit too easy

Very Hard:
Your dudes lose every single 1:1 fight unless you have leveled the hell out of your general

The first 20-30 turns of campaigns are always exciting, I find that the losing equal matchups thing really sucks on Very Hard. As Orks my boyz are gonna lose to enemy Boyz and are gonna be evenly matched with Goblin Spearmen. That's going to last a while until I level Grimgor, get some gear, get some levels, and can make a decent army comp. Empire is brutal, you are charging reiksguard into the back of stuff as your guys melt to equivalent units.

It's all doable yet I find it feels lovely somehow. I get giving the AI advantages but the improvements to troop quality with the way melee attack / defense work are a bit unsatisfying.

Change battle difficulty in the campaign options to normal. I usually find Very Hard campaign with Normal battles to be the most fun setting in TW games.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

ZearothK posted:

Change battle difficulty in the campaign options to normal. I usually find Very Hard campaign with Normal battles to be the most fun setting in TW games.

Yeah, this is how I play Total War. Highly recommended.

e; CA hides the option when you start the campaign for some dumb reason so you can only change it inside the game.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 15, 2016

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

ZearothK posted:

This actually blew my mind. I've been doing it wrong all along. :psyduck:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Angry Lobster posted:

What the heck is that army.

If the faction unlocker mod is right, trolls are the biggest things they can recruit next to chariots.

Every building they have, except the one that lets them produce more and their metal wizard tower, gives them a garrison as well. So a fully built town of theirs is like another one of those armies.

But their money source in towns are their city tile so each time you raid it and knock it down a peg they lose a bit cash.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 15, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ZearothK posted:

How exactly does it make the AI better in the campaign?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

ZearothK posted:

Well Hard combat is just fine, however I'm not a fan of the mismatched difficulty thing.

On an unrelated note:
They changed how merging damaged units works in the campaign. Now it follows two rules:

1. The unit with less guys merges into the unit with more guys
2. The unit with more guys keeps whatever XP it had

So if you have a unit of Ork Boyz that has 60 dudes left and some xp, merge them with a 59 ork unit to get 119 dudes that have the same xp the 60 did.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, I think making the leadership boosts/penalties straight increases and making the other stats %s was a bad decision. If anything, the leadership boosts/penalties should be %-based and they should never have given %-based increases to AI stats over just using their old system of giving them veterancy cheats. Veterancy cheats were fine and served the purpose much better whereas units with 90 or 500 in stats getting 12% boosts upon recruitment just feels absolutely terrible.

To be honest, while I do enjoy very hard/legendary battle difficulty I have been kind of degenerate about it--moreso than usual--due to those changes. In order to not guaranteed lose lord vs. lord fights early on I sack-cycle to level up and I've been abusing the bug with champions giving all your lords/heroes veterancy. If I'm playing vampires or chaos I just lore of death snipe. On the other hand, I still feel like at least dwarves and chaos require the enemy getting those stat boosts in order to not just be boring since their units are really, really good and as a player your ability to create decent compositions and use them in battle still probably hits far above what the AI is getting in bonuses on their units. Similarly, I feel like VC need very hard or higher more and more as you progress. I've not played much empire/greenskins but I feel like empire is probably similar to VC in that respect and greenskins...well, I haven't tried them but going by numbers I'd say that the most impressive thing anybody could tell me would be "I won a greenskin legendary campaign without using autoresolve".

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Third World Reggin posted:

If the faction unlocker mod is right, trolls are the biggest things they can recruit next to chariots.

Every building they have except the one that lets them produce more and their metal wizard tower gives them a garrison as well. So a fully built town of theirs is like another one of those armies.

But their money source in towns are their city tile so each time you raid it and knock it down a peg they lose a bit cash.

Yes, but that's a regular army, and it blew my mind how they would be able to field such an army (five units of trolls with triple silver chevrons!) at that stage, along with the other armies they had. Maybe I did something wrong or the Chaos campaign it's just not as balanced.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Lobster posted:

Yes, but that's a regular army, and it blew my mind how they would be able to field such an army (five units of trolls with triple silver chevrons!) at that stage, along with the other armies they had. Maybe I did something wrong or the Chaos campaign it's just not as balanced.

don't auto resolve if you can fight for lower casualties, replenishment is harder for chaos ironically.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Decus posted:

Yeah, I think making the leadership boosts/penalties straight increases and making the other stats %s was a bad decision. If anything, the leadership boosts/penalties should be %-based and they should never have given %-based increases to AI stats over just using their old system of giving them veterancy cheats. Veterancy cheats were fine and served the purpose much better whereas units with 90 or 500 in stats getting 12% boosts upon recruitment just feels absolutely terrible.

To be honest, while I do enjoy very hard/legendary battle difficulty I have been kind of degenerate about it--moreso than usual--due to those changes. In order to not guaranteed lose lord vs. lord fights early on I sack-cycle to level up and I've been abusing the bug with champions giving all your lords/heroes veterancy. If I'm playing vampires or chaos I just lore of death snipe. On the other hand, I still feel like at least dwarves and chaos require the enemy getting those stat boosts in order to not just be boring since their units are really, really good and as a player your ability to create decent compositions and use them in battle still probably hits far above what the AI is getting in bonuses on their units. Similarly, I feel like VC need very hard or higher more and more as you progress. I've not played much empire/greenskins but I feel like empire is probably similar to VC in that respect and greenskins...well, I haven't tried them but going by numbers I'd say that the most impressive thing anybody could tell me would be "I won a greenskin legendary campaign without using autoresolve".

This all seems spot on and matches my observations. Dwarfs get rolling and feel ok, even on VH. Ranged units really help even the playing field in the early part of the campaign, so if you couldn't abuse VC magic and regen they'd be quite awful to play on vh+. Orks are real tough when both your lords and troops lose 1:1 matchups. Empire is probably ok later in the campaign, those spearmen just made me sad with how fast they were melting on VH.

The sack leveling seems absurd. You can gain a level a turn if you do it, powerleveling a bunch of agents in the process if you feel like it. I also don't understand why they assign Decisive Battles to these lovely garrison wins. Feels very easy to 'farm' a settlement to powerlevel a lord.

The campaign on VH / Legendary is an odd mix of cheese and railroady. I get what they're going for, I just hope they nail the balance just a bit better for the DLC / xpacks. Fingers crossed.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
For certain entire provinces is it standard practice to just say "gently caress it, this place isn't for producing soldiers" and just make the whole thing a cash town?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

NT Plus posted:

For certain entire provinces is it standard practice to just say "gently caress it, this place isn't for producing soldiers" and just make the whole thing a cash town?

Yep. The most famous of these is Mt Gunbad, with 2 gold mines you can build in it, one of which is unique.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Wafflecopper posted:

I completely disagree with this. The AI can give simultaneous orders to all its troops, is constantly aware of everything that is happening on the battlefield and can react to multiple threats at once. Players have to use a mouse to give orders and can only see what they have the camera pointed at. Pausing doesn't give the player a boost over the AI at all, it lets them play by the same rules.

The AI really doesn't abuse this with perfect micro, otherwise their ranged cav. would be unstoppable. But more important, it was made to process the battle in real time. When you pause, you not only gain time to act, but you gain time to think, which the AI can't do. And in comparing how "smart" the AI is, it's entirely unfair to say the AI is dumb, when you basically pause time to process things, while it can not.

If there was some crazy deep learning AI that could continue to process, update, and react while you pause, then it'd be fair.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

NT Plus posted:

It's only really worth having the provinces near your borders as troop centers to resupply your Generals. If a province is behind the front lines just turn it into a cash cow, it's not worth matching all the way back to them just to pick up some small troop benefits and having an army just to ferry recruits about is a hassle.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fans posted:

It's only really worth having the provinces near your borders as troop centers to resupply your Generals. If a province is behind the front lines just turn it into a cash cow, it's not worth matching all the way back to them just to pick up some small troop benefits and having an army just to ferry recruits about is a hassle.

The CA design team is really funny sometimes. They realized this was a big issue with their game so they implement the Global recruitment pool, which is a great idea. But then they ruin the whole thing by making it take twice as long to recruit anything using it and lol at waiting four loving turns to recruit mid-range infantry.

They should have just left recruitment times unchanged in the global pool. The double cost and the fact that your whole empire has to share those slots is enough.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

NT Plus posted:

Absolutely. The time investment to make a city produce valuable units increases as the game goes on. But it only takes one turn to start getting money from a financial building.

Do any playable factions get bonus garrisons from other buildings besides Empire and their reiksguard?

Also, from a while ago but

William Bear posted:

Speaking of, what units have Unbreakable?

Dwarves:
Ungrim Ironfist
Slayers

Empire:
Steam Tank

Chaos Warriors:
Hellcannon
Chaos Spawn

Is that it? Do Greenskins or Vampires have any units that will always fight to the last man?
The only unit you missed is the Lord of Change

Also, this is the only Wiki i have found that actually has loving unit stats and rosters
http://totalwarwarhammer.gamepedia.com/Total_War:_Warhammer_Wiki

Chomp8645 posted:

The CA design team is really funny sometimes. They realized this was a big issue with their game so they implement the Global recruitment pool, which is a great idea. But then they ruin the whole thing by making it take twice as long to recruit anything using it and lol at waiting four loving turns to recruit mid-range infantry.

They should have just left recruitment times unchanged in the global pool. The double cost and the fact that your whole empire has to share those slots is enough.
On the flip side, sure it takes four turns, but if instead of wasting building slots on units you build say armouries for the empire, you can recruit a half stack in 6 turns max if you somehow need to replace demigryphs. And you can do this in the middle of the badlands 8 turns away from your nearest city.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Chomp8645 posted:

Definitely agreed. It almost becomes worthwhile to just march back and recruit from the actual province unless your army is urgently needed on the front lines.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Nasgate posted:

On the flip side, sure it takes four turns, but if instead of wasting building slots on units you build say armouries for the empire, you can recruit a half stack in 6 turns max if you somehow need to replace demigryphs. And you can do this in the middle of the badlands 8 turns away from your nearest city.

Burning 6 turns with a stack to get 3 units is absolutely awful. With the 2x cost, recruiting a terrorgheist costs like a cool 10k per unit.

It's ok for tier 1 stuff but the turn times are just awful for tier 3 units. Even if I have a second stack do the recruiting, 6 turns later I may be pretty far away with the stack that needs it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Maybe just add a flat +1 turn? As is you don't use it in early game because you can just walk back and don't have the money. And you definitely don't use it in late game because I don't see any opportunities you can just have a wounded halfstack sit around at your border/ in enemy territory for six turns. Unless you have won already anyway.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

At least against the AI, massed wolf rider archers are actually great at wrecking other Orc armies. I've got a stack consisting of 11 of them that has broken a dual stack that assaulted them with the bar almost fully red. The "foot archers beat light missile cavalry" argument doesn't mean jack when it's 3 units against one, and given they have Vanguard you can assault any true threats within seconds of a battle start. And since, unlike Norscans, the AI for Orcs usually only bring 2 to 3 units of them max, they just get swarmed first, before I run rings around everything else since they're the only thing that can actually catch them. After that it's just massed raining of arrows on units until they break, then switch targets.

I will likely upgrade this gimmick stack to spider riders at some point. Admittedly I would never try this gimmick against dwarves, but it is stupidly effective against your other main opponent in the early game.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Global Recruitment ideally would've had its own table with turn times instead of just a straight multiplier. 6 turns for anything is just not happening to the point that you can pretty much just pretend that those units aren't in the pool and even though it's just a one turn difference some of the 2->4 turn units would've felt better as 2->3 under global. Similarly, some of the 1 turn probably should've remained 1 turn. When the default recruitment time is 1-4 turns it's inevitable that the quality per turn ratio is going to be wide such that strictly multiplying the turn time is going to be uneven.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Tying recruitment to buildings isn't fun and causes a lot of problems for player and ai alike.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

William Bear posted:

Speaking of, what units have Unbreakable?

Dwarves:
Ungrim Ironfist
Slayers

Empire:
Steam Tank

Chaos Warriors:
Hellcannon
Chaos Spawn

Is that it? Do Greenskins or Vampires have any units that will always fight to the last man?

Strictly speaking, undead units will always fight to the last. :v:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"Hmm six turns to make a high tier unit. For double cost. And the army can't move the whole time or it's cancelled. Also only three things total for the whole world at a time. Yes this is definitely a great feature players will love"

- A game developer

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

genericnick posted:

Maybe just add a flat +1 turn? As is you don't use it in early game because you can just walk back and don't have the money. And you definitely don't use it in late game because I don't see any opportunities you can just have a wounded halfstack sit around at your border/ in enemy territory for six turns. Unless you have won already anyway.

Recruitment and attrition difficulties are the closest we get to simulated supply lines. Grow a pair .

Anyway, the cool thing to do with global recruitment is have your dude in a troop producing province, order your fancy poo poo on regular and global your line troops. Full stack in half the time.

Edit: idk how but my dwarf campaign is up to 6 slots it the global.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Arcturas posted:

What's the best way to deal with light cavalry spam? In my empire campaign (now finished, thank god) the northern raiders constantly sent stacks with six plus units of throwing axe cavalry at me, and it is such a pain. I can't sent knights to charge them because they run away and have a second unit shoot my knights in the back. I can't ignore them or they chew up my artillery.

I eventually dealt by just sticking sacrificial spearman with shields on the back and flank of my army and ignoring their horrible casualties while crushing the line and then slowly chasing the cavalry until they gave up, but there has to be a better way. Pistoliers, but better used?

Even later on I just remembered to bring gunners or crossbows who dealt well with light missile cavalry, but that was usually easier because by that point there were only one or two units in each stack. (And I could justify camping the cavalry by my back line to deal with chaos Knights or whatever strong cavalry they tried to flank with)

Bring a few units of crossbows and set them up on the flanks of your army, screened by spearmen. They will loving own any light missile cav attempting shenanigans by your flanks.

Horseman spam is only troublesome for the factions who don't have easy access to good ranged troops.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Wafflecopper posted:

The blue ability tree for generals contains the lightning strike ability, which allows them to force a battle with no reinforcements for either side.
Can they even have that at level 6? Thorgrim was reinforcing too and in previous games Night Fighting disabled reinforcements on both sides. Is it lower in the tree for dwarfs?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Rakthar posted:

Burning 6 turns with a stack to get 3 units is absolutely awful. With the 2x cost, recruiting a terrorgheist costs like a cool 10k per unit.

It's ok for tier 1 stuff but the turn times are just awful for tier 3 units. Even if I have a second stack do the recruiting, 6 turns later I may be pretty far away with the stack that needs it.

Chomp8645 posted:

"Hmm six turns to make a high tier unit. For double cost. And the army can't move the whole time or it's cancelled. Also only three things total for the whole world at a time. Yes this is definitely a great feature players will love"

- A game developer

Just fyi you can increase the global recruitment pool. In my statement i even stated a half stack, because i was recruiting 9 units at one time.

This is also super useful for building an army in general. Recruiting about 6 or 7 high tier units in town, and recruiting your infantry at the same time is a huge time saver.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Nasgate posted:

Just fyi you can increase the global recruitment pool. In my statement i even stated a half stack, because i was recruiting 9 units at one time.

This is also super useful for building an army in general. Recruiting about 6 or 7 high tier units in town, and recruiting your infantry at the same time is a huge time saver.

It's useful sometimes but not for it's intended purpose of reinforcing armies away from home. The time requirement to muster anything but chaff is insane.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

wiegieman posted:

Always kill Zhufbar if you're VCs, they end up confederating with Dwarfs and you have to kill Dwarfs eventually.

I tried rushing down The Empire as fast as I could, and I got them before they had swallowed up that many provinces. I'll try doing both them and the Dwarfs next time, then I can leisurely stroll through the shattered lesser powers at my leisure.
It's much easier to just rush south with a second stack as soon as Templehof and the other one are beaten down. If you're lucky you'll catch Dwarf HQ with only a garrison and can just sit there starving them out. Dwarfs have really stupid last-gasp confederations though so if they pick Zhufbar then yeah get ready to be still fighting them when Archaon is done with Kislev.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Nasgate posted:

Sry bud, beaten.

Shumagorath posted:

Can they even have that at level 6? Thorgrim was reinforcing too and in previous games Night Fighting disabled reinforcements on both sides. Is it lower in the tree for dwarfs?

In this flavor of TW you have some kind of % chance of successful reinforcing armies. More ranks in lightning strike means better % chance.

EDIT: I only ever get the first rank.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

It's useful sometimes but not for it's intended purpose of reinforcing armies away from home. The time requirement to muster anything but chaff is insane.

I mean yeah, if you don't invest in the mechanic it's not that good, but on the flipside

1. If you do invest in it you can recruit more globaly than in any province. Especially as Empire with the tier 4 mod.
2. If you lost the units that take six turns, or even some that take 4, then you probably need to retreat anyway, or you autoresolved a giant to death.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

DiHK posted:

In this flavor of TW you have some kind of % chance of successful reinforcing armies. More ranks in lightning strike means better % chance.

Pretty sure that isn't at all the case - the higher ranks of lightning strike just increase the army's reinforcement radius as well as allowing the lightning strike attacks.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

DiHK posted:

More ranks in lightning strike don't increase the chance of reinforcement, they just increase the distance an army can get reinforcements from.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Lord Koth posted:

At least against the AI, massed wolf rider archers are actually great at wrecking other Orc armies. I've got a stack consisting of 11 of them that has broken a dual stack that assaulted them with the bar almost fully red. The "foot archers beat light missile cavalry" argument doesn't mean jack when it's 3 units against one, and given they have Vanguard you can assault any true threats within seconds of a battle start. And since, unlike Norscans, the AI for Orcs usually only bring 2 to 3 units of them max, they just get swarmed first, before I run rings around everything else since they're the only thing that can actually catch them. After that it's just massed raining of arrows on units until they break, then switch targets.

I will likely upgrade this gimmick stack to spider riders at some point. Admittedly I would never try this gimmick against dwarves, but it is stupidly effective against your other main opponent in the early game.

Boar general and seven spider riders took two full provinces from the top knots for me. It's hilarious.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

NT Plus posted:

This is 100% expected. That said, I never not build full garrison buildings and a public order building somewhere in the province. Garrison buildings give you almost a full stack of defenders, plus walls on minor settlements, and make casual attack from a surprise enemy impossible. Public Order buildings are your bulwark against bad events, raiding, corruption, etc. This might seem like a lot of expense, but consider that every turn you leave a stack in a province to calm the place down or scare away some invaders, you're essentially paying that stack's upkeep to do these things.

Alternately, you can just budget a couple thousand bucks to lock the place down for the entire game and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

sassassin posted:

Tying recruitment to buildings isn't fun and causes a lot of problems for player and ai alike.

• Locked thread