Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Eight Months Ago

"Akamatsu, we've decided to finally give one of your series a faithful anime adaptation, but only on the condition that you insert pervy harem hijinks back into your manga."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OmegaDimension posted:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/06/15/big-uq-holder-announcement-planned

A "big announcement" is coming with the new chapter next week, but no hints on what it will be. What do you all think it is? A UQ Holder anime possibly?

There will never be a good akamatsu anime

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

13 episodes at a brisk pace could probably cover through to the end of the slums arc.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

OmegaDimension posted:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/06/15/big-uq-holder-announcement-planned

A "big announcement" is coming with the new chapter next week, but no hints on what it will be. What do you all think it is? A UQ Holder anime possibly?

U-DO Burger posted:

Eight Months Ago

"Akamatsu, we've decided to finally give one of your series a faithful anime adaptation, but only on the condition that you insert pervy harem hijinks back into your manga."

PerrineClostermann posted:

This, unfortunately. It would totally kill me with joy if this were true, but Akamatsu's never had a faithful anime adaptation of his series, besides the OVAs of the Magical World that came with the special editions of his later Negima volumes. I would love to be proven wrong, but there doesn't seem to be enough material to adapt for an anime where it won't devolve into its own anime ending ala the first Negima series, so I'm not keeping my hopes up, unfortunately. Oh well, another thing to look forward to along with the new chapter next week.

chumbler posted:

13 episodes at a brisk pace could probably cover through to the end of the slums arc.

Wouldn't they have to spend some time exploring the Negima background that's so important in Holder first? Like who Eva is, why Negi is so important, etc.

Twiddy posted:

This was one of my favorite parts about Negima, that they acknowledged how OP mind reading was. She basically had to be written out of every fight, by having the villains figure out what she did and targeting her immediately.

It's kind of refreshing to see battle manga acknowledge how important information is.

Yeah, that was nice. Holder had the same thing going in earlier chapters when Kirie's power was first introduced.

U-DO Burger posted:

wow now that she's not on the protagonists' side Nodoka's power seems kind of bullshit

Guess that's why she had that cheshire cat grin during her intro shot this chapter!

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 16, 2016

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

OmegaDimension posted:

I can't wait until we get at least 8 episodes dedicated to that race.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe the announcement is they invented a time machine to erase the race arc from ever having been written

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's a six episode adaptation of when Kirie and Touta were time stopped.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

It's a six episode adaptation of when Kirie and Touta were time stopped.

It's six episodes of trying to defeat Ruin Ishkur over and over again.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's six episodes of Kyon-kun, denwa

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

oh god im so triggered auuuughhhhhhhh

I think an anime would be just dandy. I'd give it a shot; there's probably going to be a bit more fanservice, but frankly I don't know where it would come from unless they flash forward to Kirie. Which, if they did that, I'd probably just drop it. I like Kirie a lot, but speeding through the early goings of the series to get to a loli character would send me the worst possible message. And this is coming from someone trying to find a silver lining in the race arc.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

lol, I still have that as my message ringtone on my own phone, since it fits so well.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what this news is next week.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Negima!? at least gave us a really good OP.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

And a really kick-rear end Eva versus Nagi scene.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

I think the OVA OPs and EDs were pretty good too, as was the Love Hina one, but that might just be nostalgia talking on the latter.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paracelsus posted:

Shaft usually does good stuff. It's just that Negima!? wasn't Negima!

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Maybe it's an anime of a real ending for Negima.

Hey, I can dream.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Shaft usually does good stuff. It's just that Negima!? wasn't Negima!
Yeah ?! is an entertaining enough show most of the time. That ED is the earwormiest thing ever made. But it's only Negima in name, in the end.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I haven't read any interviews with Akamatsu to see his opinions on the matter, but it's not all that uncommon for creators to tell the anime studio to make something completely fresh and surprise them. Some people just don't see the need for the exact same story to be told in another format.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I fee like UQ Holder would have the dumbest anime since the base plot practically requires you to have read all of Mahou Sensei Negima.

It'd have to be an oddball adaptation.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

I fee like UQ Holder would have the dumbest anime since the base plot practically requires you to have read all of Mahou Sensei Negima.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Dunno how they'd do a straight adaptation without explaining the Negima backstory and connection; otherwise, for example, the whole Yukihime being Eva thing at the first page just doesn't have the same impact if you don't know who Eva is or what she's done from having read Negima.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Is it that much of an issue? It's not like Wikipedia doesn't exist.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Is it that much of an issue? It's not like Wikipedia doesn't exist.

True, but it's not quite the same thing, I would think. Reading a summary on Wikipedia or a Wikia or whatever, isn't the same thing since summaries don't always get everything, especially since Wikipedia has frowned on detailed summaries for fictional stuff for a while now. Sure, you'll still get the cogent points, but people who are unaware of Negima might not see what the big deal is when certain things show up or get referenced.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't imagine it being worse than the Unlimited Blade Works anime thread about the same sort of thing but it will probably still be pretty insufferable.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I can't imagine it being worse than the Unlimited Blade Works anime thread about the same sort of thing but it will probably still be pretty insufferable.

Yeah, the UBW thread was pretty bad, and that's coming from a guy who actively participated in that sorta thing there.

Hope it doesn't come down to that, though Akamatsu fans are definitely less fanatically condescending and arrogant to those who they think don't know what they're talking about than those of Type-Moon in general, so something like that happening isn't that likely, I sincerely hope.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, the UBW thread was pretty bad, and that's coming from a guy who actively participated in that sorta thing there. Hope it doesn't come down to that, though Akamatsu fans are definitely less fanatically condescending and arrogant to those who they think don't know what they're talking about than those of Type-Moon in general, so all that isn't that likely, I hope.

I stopped reading the thread entirely and just watched. I hope we can just do the same here too.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

ChronoReverse posted:

I stopped reading the thread entirely and just watched. I hope we can just do the same here too.

It wasn't that bad if you were familiar with the material and could tune out some of the more lovely arguing, though yeah, it got pretty drat bad from time to time. The gifs posted there were pretty drat good too.

We don't even know if this thing is gonna be an anime and if it's gonna be a (semi-)faithful adaptation. We could all just be worried about something that won't be effecting this thread all that much.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I read the manga with no familiarity with Negima and didn't notice anything blatantly out of place until the more recent chapters where they start throwing characters at you for no reason. Maybe learning that Yukihime is a powerful vampire has less of an impact, but the reveal doesn't feel completely meaningless.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I hope they aren't announcing that it's ending...

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It'll be a wacky adaptation of the slum arc that is actually just a 1:1 adaptation of MGR.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, I feel the same way. Dunno how they'd do a straight adaptation without explaining the Negima backstory and connection; otherwise, for example, the whole Yukihime being Eva thing at the first page just doesn't have the same impact if you don't know who Eva is or what she's done from having read Negima.

Yep, the entire impact of that scene was reading it and saying "Holy poo poo Ken is finishing Negima!"

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Saw this on /a/, no idea about the source.

https://yonkouproductions.tumblr.com/post/146094936038/uq-holder-to-receive-anime-adaptation

quote:

It was announced in Issue #30 of Weekly Shonen Magazine that UQ Holder will receive an Anime adaptation. Furthermore, the series will be going on hiatus temporarily in the future as it prepares to move to Bessatsu Shonen Magazine in a monthly release schedule starting from the November Issue.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Good source here too.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-06-18/negima-spinoff-manga-uq-holder-gets-anime/.103359

If so, that sucks. It's not only going monthly instead of weekly, but it's taking a break from next week until October 9.

Look forward to a three month long naked foot race!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Nooo I can't wait that long to see what's up with Negi and the crew! :saddowns:

Also, expecting the anime to be terrible ofc

Edit: Hope Akamatsu is doing alright, is weekly too much work for him?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

My secret hope is that the reason it's going monthly is because Akamatsu is going to finish up Negima at the same time, doing 2 monthly serializations at once. I really doubt it tho!!!!!!! :downs:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Blargh, the shift to monthly (with the 2 and a half month break) is going to be rough, though I guess having more pages per chapter would be a good thing if it turns out that way. Still, doing in the middle of a mini-climax in the manga is kinda poor form...

Not sure how I feel about the anime announcement though. There has never been a good Akamatsu adaptation, with the exception of the OVAs, and I don't see a reason for that to change now...

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Three and a half months.

Any reports of health issues or anything?

I have to suppose the next issue will be big, now.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Skychrono posted:

Three and a half months.

Any reports of health issues or anything?

I have to suppose the next issue will be big, now.

He's gonna be researching with his wife.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Costume Research?

No, I'm being serious, she's allegedly some sort of cosplay bigshot.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Costume Research?

No, I'm being serious, she's allegedly some sort of cosplay bigshot.

I wasn't being serious, but I wouldn't be surprised if his wife cosplays for him considering he does like changing up everyone's outfits often

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I don't really have an issue with monthly over weekly. It's kind of the same deal, you just get more of it at once.

• Locked thread