Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
You can definitely crawl over a barrier with walking stance and not create an alert - it's just parkouring over barriers and windows in sprint stance that do it, and the game is pretty explicit about it with the cloud of dust and loud *clonk* it makes when you do that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

There is a perk that gives a chance to mark you if you startle crows, but I don't think that it does it normally. It's just an audio cue.

AFAIK the things that do mark are

Messing up a skill check for repairing something (not healing, I think that is just audio)

Knocking down a barrier

Jumping over a barrier

Jumping through a window? This one seems inconsistent, may be due to sprinting like you said

And obviously things like successfully fixing a generator

So that means unhooking, running, healing, opening the main gates, and all of that do not give "big" alerts

Unhooking does give you an alert. Otherwise you're correct. Basically any action that can be performed by sprinting makes an alert within a certain radius. Don't quote me but I'm pretty sure generator fuckups are map-wide while stuff like sprinting into a closet have a smaller radius. I'm pretty sure there's a perk that I got in the beta that reduces said radius.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Speaking of closets just never loving use closets unless you're sure the killer is across the map and you just hosed up hard enough that you know they're coming.

I got at least half a dozen survivors yesterday because I either tracked them into a closet or saw them run in there when I was responding to an alert, and if a killer finds you in a closet that is it, you are hosed and this chase is over. If you try to run and troll me around a window or something, even if I hit you once you've got a bit of a chance to get away. You hop into a closet and you're just throwing your speed boost away. I am going to find you and I am going to kill you.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

You can hear them breathing in the cabinets too, they are pretty useless

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Also a good general tip for killers: As soon as the map starts try to pay attention to which 3 generators are closest to each other. Consider making this your fall-back area and check in on it every so often. I personally like to think of outlying generators as already repaired because the risk of protecting them and ending up with the last few generators really far apart is too high. If the survivors grab 4 generators, then they have to come to this zone to get one of those 3 before they can escape. This works best with the trapper, and the hillbilly has a little more freedom to move around depending on the map. You do have to multitask a little because if you get tunnel vision you'll probably lose the last gen.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

Free Triangle posted:

It looks like you can queue with friends as survivors, you have to set your steam download region to a low traffic area and queue at the same time, gotten in five games in a row with my friends. Game saved!

Which download regions did you have luck with? I pretty much only play this game with my friends and would like to see the progression system.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You can hear them breathing in the cabinets too, they are pretty useless

Sure, but I was able to reenact the classic horror scene of searching the wrong locker, walking past the one he was in, and then bursting back into view to open it and grab him, exactly like in the game intro. It was pretty fun!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://gfycat.com/FancySilverDutchsmoushond

Anyone know why this is happening at all? DBD is the only game doing it, so I'm assuming it's something with its engine maybe. :iiam: I just wanna stream for friends.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Having a blast with all three killers so far.
Made a couple of observations:

1) Holding down the attack button seems to charge the attack, which does... something?

2) gently caress it when survivors window troll when they are the only one left. :argh: There should probably be some kinda diminishing return on jumping through the same two windows over and over again.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Trapping hook escape routes is wonderful.

CrazyJesus
Jun 6, 2008

Spy_Guy posted:

2) gently caress it when survivors window troll when they are the only one left. :argh: There should probably be some kinda diminishing return on jumping through the same two windows over and over again.

Two words. Chain...... saw

The range on it is long enough to actually slice them through the window even past the time you'd need to catch grab them in the act. It's an effective counter to that bullshit.

Or just focus on other survivors when they start trolling you like that. The longer you spend chasing them Scooby doo style around a wall or whatever is more time for the others to be accomplishing things.

As for when they're the last ones, keep trying I guess or go off and try to catch them somewhere else I guess.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Spy_Guy posted:

1) Holding down the attack button seems to charge the attack, which does... something?
When a survivor's in view, this causes your killer to sprint a few steps before letting the attack loose. The recovery for a missed strike is substantial, though, so don't whiff.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
For what it's worth, I think my crashes were resolved by disabling controllers. I did notice that the game doesn't have an option for this and that it'd bounce back and forth between Xbox and PC controller icons, so maybe that's the issue?

Infinite vaulting is frustrating as hell. Sure, you can catch someone if you're lucky and maybe even land a hit/chainsaw, but if you whiff? Hello, 4 second failure animations.

I've resorted to setting my own petty goal(s) as Hillbilly: One offering to the dark gods, maybe one 30 second chase sequence if I can afford it. If that means guarding a meat hook, then hey, a survivor can legitimately saunter up and de-hook a guy in less time than it takes to rev the chainsaw. Even if I hit them as they're together, it'll only ever hit one person (...), so at best all I can do is trade who's on the hook.

ToiletDuckie fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 17, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ToiletDuckie posted:

I've resorted to setting my own petty goal(s) as Hillbilly: One offering to the dark gods, maybe one 30 second chase sequence if I can afford it. If that means guarding a meat hook, then hey, a survivor can legitimately saunter up and de-hook a guy in less time than it takes to rev the chainsaw. Even if I hit them as they've together, it'll only ever hit one person (...), so at best all I can do is trade who's on the hook.

If it is any consolation, you get points for hitting/chasing/hooking, so it all can balance out if you have to trade the hook.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If it is any consolation, you get points for hitting/chasing/hooking, so it all can balance out if you have to trade the hook.

Also if you trade enough times they run out of lifespan on the hook and start dying

Camping the hook for a kill is only good when the survivors are all really bad and don't turn on any generators and while that is the case for most groups of survivors probably best not to get in the habit

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah, I've noticed at the end that I typically end up with a moderate amount of points for Hunting/Destruction and occasionally Sacrifice. The other one, Stalking?, I have no idea how you receive. Is it just watching Survivors that aren't aware?

One other question: Is hit detection client side? I've noticed that sometimes survivors can do something as silly as run in circles around a tree with me following yet I'll still whiff what looks like an easy swing.

ToiletDuckie fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 17, 2016

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ToiletDuckie posted:

Yeah, I've noticed at the end that I typically end up with a moderate amount of points for Hunting/Destruction and occasionally Sacrifice. The other one, Stalking?, I have no idea how you receive. Is it just watching Survivors that aren't aware?

I've gotten all my points in that category in 1,000 point chunks from people walking into my traps, since I haven't played the other two killers yet

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

UberJew posted:

Camping the hook for a kill is only good when the survivors are all really bad and don't turn on any generators and while that is the case for most groups of survivors probably best not to get in the habit

I generally will somewhat camp the first hook I make to ensure that I end up with at least a petty victory, but after that I generally go Cabin In The Woods on them and let them pull each other off if they want to get hit.

ToiletDuckie posted:

Pretty much, IMO. I think that things like getting them caught in bear traps, and I believe that killing off all four of them will give you a full circle (+2500 points)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I generally will somewhat camp the first hook I make to ensure that I end up with at least a petty victory, but after that I generally go Cabin In The Woods on them and let them pull each other off if they want to get hit.

The first hooking is the worst one to camp, because there are three people free to hit generators and they can do all of them in the time it takes that one guy to die, while it gets progressively smarter to camp later murderings because the survivors are gaining less total time for your inactivity

The ideal way imo is to hook your first kill near 2 or 3 generators if possible so you can do short patrols of the gens while still being in range to maybe spot the rescuers or at least catch your food again. Being the trapper helps that a lot though since it takes them twice as long to unhook somebody if there's a bear trap there

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

UberJew posted:

The first hooking is the worst one to camp, because there are three people free to hit generators and they can do all of them in the time it takes that one guy to die, while it gets progressively smarter to camp later murderings because the survivors are gaining less total time for your inactivity

When I say "camp" I don't mean I stand right by the hook like some people do, I just stay in the general area. I actually find that it makes it easier to grab a second person that is trying to play hero by doing it early enough, because people aren't feeling the sting of losing people/damage yet and tend to be a bit more overconfident. I'll wander off a short distance to check in the general area, but circle back to the hook to see if anyone is going for it. If I see three generators popping off in the distance then I'll move away, however, since that means there isn't someone nearby.

The best is when they are sure I wandered away and go into the Basement Of Fun to rescue someone. Knock knock :getin:

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 17, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I can't get away as survivor. Seems like I'm the only one going for generators.

edit: yeah, pro survivor meta is to hide in murder basement and run out when you're the only one alive

Grognan fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 17, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

so many nerds caught by my bear traps on the first hook

like seriously so many nerds get wrecked by it

god bless trapper

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 17, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone won as a survivor yet? Where the gently caress is the hatch on levels?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I win as survivor probably about 50-70% of the time, most killers are pretty impatient and most survivors are way aggressive on attempting rescues, those are the two biggest mistakes I see people making. If someone gets caught and hooked in the first 4 minutes, let him hang for a good minute or so while you work on a generator. If they show up in the basement, loving leave them, they're dead.

Hatches move along with everything else, but they're typically near the center of the map.

The number one key to winning as a survivor is being patient and being quiet. The two main things that kill survivors are blowing generator skill checks, and attempting to rescue hooked survivors at bad times. Especially against a Trapper, hooked survivors are probably best left alone unless you know the killer is elsewhere. You can sometimes bounce someone away from a Wraith even if they're camping the place just because their invisibility power keeps them unable to attack for a critical few seconds.

Miffroon
May 7, 2006
Owe's mansex to Hotwire
Was playing a game earlier with some dude that seemed to be exploiting a wraith bug. He was cloaked but I was getting heartbeats and he could attack while cloaked. I eventually got hooked after like a 5 minute chase where the rest of the team didn't do poo poo (which seems to be business as usual). He kept hitting his bell in front of me until he finally got his cloak + attack back, it's a pretty lovely practice and I hope it gets fixed quickly, along with losing rank from rage quitting killers, that's starting to get on my nerves too with the increased frequency.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The amount of fuckers that just suicide when they get hooked is amazing.

Edit: When someone shows up to help they will blow up the gen and then run to the basement because of their shame.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 17, 2016

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Hatches move along with everything else, but they're typically near the center of the map.

I'm not convinced this is actually true. I know it's what the game claims but, I have never had a match on the McMillan estate map that has the large 2 floored building in the middle (forget map names) and not had the hatch be inside of that large building. Similarly, in that specific Farm map that has the nice little house, the hatch has always been to on the front porch. It is possible I've just been exceedingly lucky and every match where the hatch was relevant, it's happened to spawn in the same location. Can someone confirm if they've ever seen the hatch in a different location on those 2 maps?

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The one that lets you see downed survivors is the most useful for the killer IMO. Nothing like chasing multiple people at one and then having to search through the grass like you dropped a contact lense.

A touch late, but I snagged Sloppy Butcher and it's kind of nice too. It makes the blood splotches more common if you've already maimed someone. Makes dark as hell map a bit easier when they're weaving through the ruins and I lose track of which way the scratches were going, but the blood's easy.

I haven't gotten much use out of the Hillbilly's chainsaw yet as an actual weapon outside of rushing panicked players down, but it is a surprisingly effective way of making people break cover and run off if I think they're near by and start revving it repeatedly. I really hope that's a way to get bonus points.

Is there a Steam group for this yet for when they supposedly throw in non-lovely group making?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nebiros posted:

A touch late, but I snagged Sloppy Butcher and it's kind of nice too. It makes the blood splotches more common if you've already maimed someone. Makes dark as hell map a bit easier when they're weaving through the ruins and I lose track of which way the scratches were going, but the blood's easy.

I haven't gotten much use out of the Hillbilly's chainsaw yet as an actual weapon outside of rushing panicked players down, but it is a surprisingly effective way of making people break cover and run off if I think they're near by and start revving it repeatedly. I really hope that's a way to get bonus points.

Is there a Steam group for this yet for when they supposedly throw in non-lovely group making?

dunno, I mostly see shitlords trying to synchdrop to win effortlessly.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
Finally got the corn field map. Hillbilly paradise, especially if the ~3 generators left all have open spaces between them. Even if they hide, it's free Stalking XP sprinting around for kicks.

Edit: Coincidentally, that's the only way I've seen to get stalking XP as the Hillbilly. I'm not sure what "Sprint wildly around with a revved chainsaw" has to do with an icon that implies hiding, but eh.

ToiletDuckie fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 17, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I completed my first hunter complete win match, man they have to be dumb out there. No one rescued or repaired gens worth a drat.

Edit: the killer will go around obvious traps. Lockers will not save you, because he can hear you breathing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Nebiros posted:

We don't appear to have a group, so I went ahead and created one. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GoonByDaylight

If we end up not needing it okay great cool but here we go.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
Nothing's quite as satisfying as the last survivor playing hide and go seek and then rage quitting after you finally nab him 10 minutes later. Sure, that means no all-survivor sacrifice, but I can imagine the disgust.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

As awful as it is, rescuing survivors is a terrible idea unless it's convenient for you. You might grab them down, but if they are anywhere near you then chances are the killer is just going to run back and give you both a smack, earning an extra wound and someone back up on the hook.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

As awful as it is, rescuing survivors is a terrible idea unless it's convenient for you. You might grab them down, but if they are anywhere near you then chances are the killer is just going to run back and give you both a smack, earning an extra wound and someone back up on the hook.

As a very low level (and bad) Killer, the thing I see almost none of is people waiting for more than 20 seconds before trying to rescue someone that's hooked. Early game, a person can last at least a minute on the hook it seems, not to mention theoretically being able to get off by themselves (?). I don't really camp the hook so much as make two ~5-10 second walks away and then circle back. That catches the vast majority of people. If no one shows, then it's time to head out.

I mean, if I ever play Survivor, I'd hide for at least 30 seconds and hope someone screwed up (intentionally) a generator fix so the Killer would walk away...

Correction: I tried survivor for a round. Geez, you get a heartbeat out to ~50 yards!? Why would you even get close to a hook if there's obviously a Killer nearby?

ToiletDuckie fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 17, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
lol nope, not gonna be killer if you are all rank 10 synchdropping

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ToiletDuckie posted:

Correction: I tried survivor for a round. Geez, you get a heartbeat out to ~50 yards!? Why would you even get close to a hook if there's obviously a Killer nearby?

Because you get a heartbeat out to 50 yards. You only know that he is in the general vicinity of a large area unless it's really pounding in your ears, so you sometimes have to just go for it and hope for the best, especially considering how fast you can unhook people.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I always sneak up really close, even if there's a heartbeat, and see if any of my fellow survivors have snuck up close too. If I catch sight of anyone else, I'll start to go for the hook, get seen, run off and hope the killer follows me just long enough for someone else to go in for the save.

When you win matches against bad players because they all die trying to save people off hooks, it's not that they were wrong to try, they just went about it in the wrong way.

Paradigmata
Dec 23, 2015

Dissolved
Won yesterday the most lucky game as survivor I had so far.

Fast forward I was the last survivor alive, got grabbed and hooked. Since the game was over I didnt wanted to waste time and just kill myself faster by trying to get off the hook. The thing is, this was the first time ever I actually got of that drat hook and for whatever reason that ghost thingy monster run away couple seconds earlier. I managed to escape him once before I found a box which had a medpack in it, so I managed to patch myself up in a corner of a map right before he arrived and he couldnt hear me, another chase later that I got away, I found the hatch and GG. Survival chance probably under 2%. Most hilarious experience so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Paradigmata posted:

Won yesterday the most lucky game as survivor I had so far.

Fast forward I was the last survivor alive, got grabbed and hooked. Since the game was over I didnt wanted to waste time and just kill myself faster by trying to get off the hook. The thing is, this was the first time ever I actually got of that drat hook and for whatever reason that ghost thingy monster run away couple seconds earlier. I managed to escape him once before I found a box which had a medpack in it, so I managed to patch myself up in a corner of a map right before he arrived and he couldnt hear me, another chase later that I got away, I found the hatch and GG. Survival chance probably under 2%. Most hilarious experience so far.

just did much the same, I dunno about no hatch though. I had to repair two more gens before the door would open. Where TF are the hatches.

• Locked thread