Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Relive Squadron 42's script!

http://pastebin.com/G8fNs8dT

aww, missed it

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hardycore
Nov 4, 2009

edit: bonus cat tax i guess

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I for one am very excited for CitizenCon and GamesCom.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I missed 4242, I feel grief.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

SelenicMartian posted:

Looks small. Will the SC horse fit?
It's funny you should ask...

In a cosmic irony, the racehorse in question apparently raced in competition yesterday, finishing 7th out of 8th.

Sprint Race analyst Eric Winner offered this summary assessment:

quote:

Thursday, 16 June 2016

8:45 Ayr Winning Racing Tips (17th June)
TENNENT´S HANDICAP (CLASS 3) (3yo+ 0-95)

1—Gamesome likes to track leaders, second top rated, may need further.
2—Cornwallville may find this too short and also prefer a slower going.
3—Above The Rest may want slower ground and also a longer distance.
4—Fast Act poor recent form either be held up or track leaders.
5—Hawkeyethenoo a veteran who has been quite slow recently.
6—Intisaab can be held up or track leaders and its best was time recorded at this course and distance.
7—Star Citizen another may need slower going and longer trip.
8—Duke Cosimo won last time out raised five pounds only third top-rated now.

:vince:

G0RF fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 17, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

:smugdon:

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Tank Boy Ken posted:

nice Photoshop.

Are you like croberts who still lives in the 90s? Photoshop is a yesterword. Now we say it " Nice Archer"

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I like how CIG has the most open game development of all time and also at the same time has a secret dev build with all the promised features and all ships flyable.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Now we need to know Chris' preferred girdle brand.

I wonder if it has a little Star Citizen patch on it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

As much as I don't want to fall into the trap, it wouldn't work that way. First, there two fundamentally different types of game. Battletech has a storied history - away from that too far and you lose you're audience. Plus the platform doesn't really require a bottom-up approach to building. The engine works for an RTS and doesn't require massive re-writes to support a mass of people. If HBS wanted to offer mechs prior to release in exchange for a pledge amount, I would be ok with that.

Edit: :gary:4242!!!!!!!!! +42:yarg:

Oh come on now, you can do better than that. Here, let me ask you again.

I contend that the amount of cash you're willing to give to a game developer is dependent on:

A. The game's promised features; such as mechanics, assets, community and participation
B. Material rewards for backing other than the game (physical, getting your name in the credits, that sort of stuff)
C. Your faith in the developer's ability to deliver A and B (in polynomial time)
D. The amount of feelgood you get from participating through being part of the project

Now; imagine that CIG's "open development" had a closer resemblance to HBS's actual open development re: things such as dates, roadmaps, promised content and community participation. Do you think that CIG would:
  • Deserve more or less funding
  • Receive more or less funding

I'm pretty convinced funding would have dropped dead long ago if the backers had received accurate updates about how development was proceeding, but I'm interested in your opinion.

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 17, 2016

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

I missed 4242 so all hail 43.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sandweed posted:

I like how CIG has the most open game development of all time and also at the same time has a secret dev build with all the promised features and all ships flyable.

You don't get it, due to the nature of open development they can't just show everything they're working on.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
The question of our time - would Star Citizen, released with all promised features, finally prove that p = np?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Got to love the complete irrelevance of SQ42 in that article, including the comparison title.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SelenicMartian posted:

Sitting on an unshielded ammo box is the dream of every pilot.

Like everytihng else in SC you pull the ammo out of your rear end.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DJSnM/status/743808226223763456

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

"Is there a status page" :laffo:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

quote:

To love Star Citizen is to love everything about the game. There is no update that doesn't get me excited. Rather it be about IFCS v17.4, about the next concept ship or about the 4th revamp of the Hornet every update is progress CIG is making towards finally releasing the game. I understand these updates about ships are pointless to some, but ships will obviously be a large part of the universe once we have places to come from and to fly to.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4oj4kw/im_very_pleased_with_my_subscription/

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Somebody make a Star Citizen status page.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Here's the status page, illectro:

"IT'S AN ALPHA, YOU GODDAMN CONTENT LOCUST!"

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi,

shouting at the videogame is probably really epic, but please remember to call or visit your parents every so often because they love you and went to great effort to raise you into the person you are today. they would love to hear about whats going on in your life these days

My folks are coming to stay with us for two weeks. Legit.

Two weeks lol

fnox
May 19, 2013

So, a $100 million dollar crowdfunded project collapsed today, wasn't Star Citizen though, but they're equal in idiocy.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

I wonder if that is a shill post...

First paragraph

quote:

I'm a fairly new backer (June 2016) and subscriber since the same day I purchased my Aurora Starter Pack (#TestSquadronIsTheBestSquadron) and I'm embarrassed to tell my girlfriend, but proud to tell my fellow citizens that I've spent nearly $1,000 in the game. Today I'm happy to say that I have no regrets over any money I have spent on my hangar full of ships or monthly subscription.

Gotta get in there quick to try and squash that other thread which is just spreading FUD

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How does Ben type?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

fnox posted:

So, a $100 million dollar crowdfunded project collapsed today, wasn't Star Citizen though, but they're equal in idiocy.

lmao.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AP posted:

Somebody make a Star Citizen status page.

https://twitter.com/PortOlisar

What should I tweet?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
kill jester

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Tell illectro that he's banned from you, because of being to Manly.

https://twitter.com/DJSnM/status/743808226223763456

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

I dunno you made the account, a weather report gimmick, lost and found, traffic control

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

"Massive shipment miscalculation - anyone know what I should do with all these Big Benny's noodle machines?"

"New shipment of space bulldozers coming in to help keep collision debris off landing pads."

"Haven't fixed spinning rings yet, now I have to make new spaces for space motorcycles."

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 17, 2016

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

ManofManyAliases posted:

As much as I don't want to fall into the trap, it wouldn't work that way. First, there two fundamentally different types of game. Battletech has a storied history - away from that too far and you lose you're audience. Plus the platform doesn't really require a bottom-up approach to building. The engine works for an RTS and doesn't require massive re-writes to support a mass of people. If HBS wanted to offer mechs prior to release in exchange for a pledge amount, I would be ok with that.

Edit: :gary:4242!!!!!!!!! +42:yarg:

Good afternoon Mr aliases.
are you still looking forward to squadron 42 and SC ?

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Airlock is blocked by 450 pounds of a sentient cholesterol mass who won't stop talking about spaceships.

Going into Full Burn

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

EightAce posted:

8Ace how did you and your colleagues find the new CoD:IW ?

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

EightAce posted:

Update us friend

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Tippis posted:

How does that in any way make a difference for the applicability of the CIG development and communications paradigm? A game is a game is a game; software is software is software. How is the history of BT in any way relevant to how the game is developed and how the development is being communicated to the backers?

Well - History already assists in the storyline, and thus creation of assets and 'world.' With Battletech, you can limit assets to Mechs, bases and support vehicles. You know it'll be a map-based approach instead of open-world. Etc. [

Tippis posted:

So what? They can build on an existing engine, same as CIG has chosen to do. How does that in any way alter the process by which the game is put together? How does it in any way change how the development of the game is being communicated to the backers?

Well, if a game like battletech has assets that translates a fraction of the amount of data to other clients as CIG's, not much more modification of the engine is necessary? If you have an engine that already supports 64 players simultaneously, 64bit fp, etc., the modification of that engine to fit battletech's needs might be minimal. The game comes together more quickly, with less overhead and it becomes more clear of what the deadlines are, thus making it easier to communicate dates to backers.

Tippis posted:

That wasn't what he was asking, though…

True, however, my point is that you can't really apply CIG's approach to HBS. But for sake of argument - if you had applied it, I would not be comfortable. In the case of Battletech, you do not need as "open" communication to backers or to continuously fund development with sales because the scope is already more defined from the onset.

ManofManyAliases fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 17, 2016

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm retroactively claiming to have posted on 4242 because I refuse to have missed such an important page.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

"Hostile collisions in our airspace continue - have to come up with a solution before the situation devolves into infinite warfare."

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
No big deal really. CoD is nice enough but doesn't have half the fidelity and immersion that sq42 does. I hope to see you at Britizencon ..friend. Also don't forget Im just an ex intern so I really don't know any behind the scene stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Okay, maybe it's just how fast this thread moves but I have to ask, who is Toast? A GIG mod/member of staff? Just A pet name for MoMa?

Also Hi EightAce. Nice to see you're still alive :v:.

• Locked thread