Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max
Nov 30, 2002

dongsbot 9000 posted:

voting for me is a big scumtell imo

I'm not happy with the way you chained your vote to Quid's opinion yesterday, but I get the feeling that's just dongsbot being dongsbot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
hi-ya

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

didnt i switch my vote to moat (it rhymes) before quiddles

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Talking about this post.

dongsbot 9000 posted:

That means I will vote where Quidnose votes because I am putting my faith in him after brutally roasting him.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

dongsbot 9000 posted:

didnt i switch my vote to moat (it rhymes) before quiddles

Moat and I are both trees so it doesn't really matter.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

but then i didnt do it

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

if you hold everything i say against me, im in big trouble

Max
Nov 30, 2002

dongsbot 9000 posted:

but then i didnt do it

Why I said I think it's just dongsbot being dongsbot.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

great convo

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yup.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
6 people have 1 vote on them in an 8 person game what is wrong with us

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Moatillata posted:

Then votes max for no reason. (Also Max what's your preferred pronoun?)

Plant life have both "male" and "female" parts so I dunno. I'm a he.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Quidnose posted:

AM.

I.

SCUM.

ADAHN.

Quidnose posted:

##vote Adahn

Town case for Quid:

He takes my reluctance to label him as scum for knowledge that he ISN'T scum, and the only way for me to know that is for me to be scum.

I don't deal in certainties, ever. But, his misread of me is telling, because I doubt he'd be able to fake this logical maneuver, which requires that he be town. It's far too genuine.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I'm not going to quote all of Dong's posts, but I agree with a lot of his decision-making this game.

I have a feeling he won't appreciate that, but it is what it is.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

thanks friend

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

is inf scum? or jsut australian? a question 4 the ages

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Li Dawny posted:

I promise I'm not scum

Dawny's scum game (limited exposure) is passive, and also she promised she wasn't.

She took a long time before settling on me. If she's scum, she knows I'm a tree, and her belligerence in trying to get me lynched is terrible play. I think she's town.

AA's game is not 'Tree' this game, though I can't say for certain whether or not it's town. That means there are good odds he's an arsonist.

I'm still very suspicious of MMT and I'd like others to weigh in. Her play seems scummiest and I think if we lynch AA we risk lynching ferngully.

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

Adahn1986 posted:

6 people have 1 vote on them in an 8 person game what is wrong with us

Scum is getting their way.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

dongsbot 9000 posted:

is inf scum? or jsut australian? a question 4 the ages

Inf has been insanely tunnely on people as town while making really bad calls.

I have a feeling that his play doesn't change regardless of whether he's town or scum.

If he's town, he'll probably get burned. If he's scum, hopefully we lynch him before it's too late.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Max posted:

Plant life have both "male" and "female" parts so I dunno. I'm a he.

If your parts don't match your identity, are you a trans-plant? :rimshot:

Quidnose posted:

I think I hosed up.

MMT what do you think of AA right now

I started with a town read on AA because it felt to me like the cases on him were a little bit forced, but I'm starting to move back to a null read. My issue with AA is that he's showing a lot of conviction when it comes to defending himself, but when it comes to making a scum call he threw out an easy vote on dongsbot (who is playing like he normally does) without really trying to sell it.

I'm leaving my opinion on him open for now, pending more D2 content.

Max posted:

I think you were around and were just hesitant to drop a hammer on someone, because you're worried about the optics. That's a scum tell to me.

I feel like this opinion is kind of a stretch. You think that not hammering town minutes before deadline is a scum tell?

Adahn1986 posted:

I get the sense that you don't care who is town and who is scum, not really. All you care about is who you can case. To me, that reads as scum play.

(a) You've said you're suspicious of me but seem extremely evasive when I ask you to provide examples. Why are you getting the sense that I don't care who town is?
(b) Focusing my attention on who I can case is what we in the biz call "hunting for scum", and it's the definition of town play.

Can someone who isn't me or Adahn read over his opinion on me this game and tell me if they think it's genuine or not? It feels so incredibly fake to me but I can't tell if I'm being biased.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I'm not ferngully. I am a tree, and I still don't understand how I am suspect number one when there were a lot of shifty votes and play at the end of the day. I don't hammer someone I believe to be town, and I'm slithering away.

Dong's votes and play get excused as dong being dong, but my opinions and cases get dismissed as scumtells or out right ignored.

Frankly put, it's annoying.

Max's case on me is highly disingenuous and I keep getting shoehorned into these meta mechanic arguments about how mafia is played, should be played, and I honestly feel it's a misdirection led by scum (Max and Dong being my too two right now with suspicion on Li Dawny and maybe Quid as well).

Any how I'm at work, just as I was during most of deadline yesterday so I'll be here intermittently via phone.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Adahn1986 posted:

Ok, I know we all hate mechanics arguments but I'm kind of leaning MMT now.

The arsonists want to prime people unlikely to be lynched, and they want Ferngully to douse the wrong person.

MMT came out, cased and voted almost everyone, potentially making it rough for Ferngully to choose.

When she's town (horrifically limited exposure caveat) she focuses well and isolates strong cases.

We could be seeing her scum game. I think a lot of us are picking up bad vibes (gut feels) and that may or may not be a coincidence.

##vote MMT

---

But she's playing like scum.

---

I'm still very suspicious of MMT and I'd like others to weigh in. Her play seems scummiest and I think if we lynch AA we risk lynching ferngully.

---

Sell people as scum? Scum are slippery, their job is probably to make it hard for people to get a read on them. It's much easier to sell people as leaning town based on their behavior.

Maybe I'm off base, but it seems that town players feel they can post a little more freely/recklessly, and of all the players in the game you're most likely to turn that into a scum case.

I get the sense that you don't care who is town and who is scum, not really. All you care about is who you can case. To me, that reads as scum play.

Like are people actually buying Adahn repeating that I "might be scum" without making a case on me is genuine town play?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Murmur Twin posted:

(a) You've said you're suspicious of me but seem extremely evasive when I ask you to provide examples. Why are you getting the sense that I don't care who town is?
(b) Focusing my attention on who I can case is what we in the biz call "hunting for scum", and it's the definition of town play.
Can someone who isn't me or Adahn read over his opinion on me this game and tell me if they think it's genuine or not? It feels so incredibly fake to me but I can't tell if I'm being biased.

Ok, maybe I can help clarify a little.

There are two parts to hunting scum.

1. Finding parts of people's play that indicate they could be scum.
2. Finding parts of people's play that indicate they could be town.

The second part is missing from almost every single one of your posts and analyses. You don't question what might make someone town or not. You just switch from case to case, from scumtell to scumtell. The only players in the game who would do that are the ones who know who is town and who is scum.

Yeah, you may have started with a 'town' read on AA, but your focus was on other players' actions toward him, and why that makes them scum. You're playing a one-sided game here.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Adahn1986 posted:

The second part is missing from almost every single one of your posts and analyses. You don't question what might make someone town or not. You just switch from case to case, from scumtell to scumtell. The only players in the game who would do that are the ones who know who is town and who is scum.

In my experience, 'town' calls are inherently suspicious because they're an easy way for scum to generate content without lying. If I'm not casing someone for being scum, it means that at this point in the game I think they're town. I shouldn't need to explicitly say that.

I feel like you're bending over rear end-backwards to create game theory that would explain me being scum instead of just using my posts, and I suspect it's because you're scum fabricating an opinion on me.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Murmur Twin posted:

In my experience, 'town' calls are inherently suspicious because they're an easy way for scum to generate content without lying. If I'm not casing someone for being scum, it means that at this point in the game I think they're town. I shouldn't need to explicitly say that.

I feel like you're bending over rear end-backwards to create game theory that would explain me being scum instead of just using my posts, and I suspect it's because you're scum fabricating an opinion on me.

You think it's easy to make town calls? It's really not. I'm playing blind here and settling on an opinion is rough.

I'm not creating game theory, I'm playing the game as an uninformed majority and pointing out that you appear to be playing the game as part of an informed minority.

Thank you for helping me solidify my thoughts, though. Anyone who cares to can look through your posts and see pretty clearly what I'm describing, which is an absence of not necessarily 'town calls' but rather 'town leanings' or 'this or that sounds like town'. We're all scum to you.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I'm not ferngully. I am a tree, and I still don't understand how I am suspect number one when there were a lot of shifty votes and play at the end of the day. I don't hammer someone I believe to be town, and I'm slithering away.

Dong's votes and play get excused as dong being dong, but my opinions and cases get dismissed as scumtells or out right ignored.

Frankly put, it's annoying.

Max's case on me is highly disingenuous and I keep getting shoehorned into these meta mechanic arguments about how mafia is played, should be played, and I honestly feel it's a misdirection led by scum (Max and Dong being my too two right now with suspicion on Li Dawny and maybe Quid as well).

Any how I'm at work, just as I was during most of deadline yesterday so I'll be here intermittently via phone.

pls dont tilt

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

dongsbot 9000 posted:

pls dont tilt

Reeeeeeeeeeee~!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Adahn1986 posted:

You think it's easy to make town calls? It's really not. I'm playing blind here and settling on an opinion is rough.

To be clear: I think it's easy for scum to make town calls because they know people's alignments.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Adahn1986 posted:

Thank you for helping me solidify my thoughts, though. Anyone who cares to can look through your posts and see pretty clearly what I'm describing, which is an absence of not necessarily 'town calls' but rather 'town leanings' or 'this or that sounds like town'. We're all scum to you.

:psyduck:

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

Okay, just realized I won't be able to play tomorrow because I'm an awesome mom and I'm taking my seven year old to Jurassic Quest, and that's way more fun than this game. However, I do want to get some scum hunting in before the deadline so let's talk.

We all know how I feel about Adahn, but I will leave it alone unless someone wants to hear it again, because it feels like I'm the minority with that thought.

I am currently reading with a few working theories, but if anyone has an opinion they want me to weigh in on I'm here pretty uninterrupted for a few hours.

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

I'm having feeeeeeeelings and I'm wanting someone else to weigh in.

I'm gonna say Max and Adahn for top scumbros. They get into a mild argument to distance themselves from eachother, then they agree, then Max throws a almost deadline no support vote on what he thought was going to end as a lynch of Adahn, and now they bicker about why to vote for AA but we should totally all vote for AA for whatever reason.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Li Dawny posted:

I'm having feeeeeeeelings and I'm wanting someone else to weigh in.

I'm gonna say Max and Adahn for top scumbros. They get into a mild argument to distance themselves from eachother, then they agree, then Max throws a almost deadline no support vote on what he thought was going to end as a lynch of Adahn, and now they bicker about why to vote for AA but we should totally all vote for AA for whatever reason.

You seriously have no problem with AA?

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

Max posted:

You seriously have no problem with AA?

Less than I do about you and Adahn.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

AA is seriously just posting to defend themselves. Like some terrible nightmare creature that only pops up when summoned.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Like, seriously, here is a comprehensive list of arguments AA has made this game outside of self-defense posts:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Murmur Twin posted:

I feel like this opinion is kind of a stretch. You think that not hammering town minutes before deadline is a scum tell?

Unless you are 100% sure the person going up for lunch is town then I see no reason not to hammer someone at deadline on day 1.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

aa went from considering adahn1986's horrible no-lynch strategy to being on the anti-dongs train like instantly LIKE A SHOOK SCUMBO WOULD

Max
Nov 30, 2002

dongsbot 9000 posted:

aa went from considering adahn1986's horrible no-lynch strategy to being on the anti-dongs train like instantly LIKE A SHOOK SCUMBO WOULD

+1

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

I had my vote on you before I left for lunch yesterday and by the time I got somewhere I could post, moat had been quick hammered.

Yo, you can't call it a "quick hammer" when we literally had 5 minutes left in the game day. Why are you presenting this as the players being at fault here when:

a. You came in late and were contentedly doing a reread without seemingly giving any indication to thread that you understood how pressed for time we were
b. if you ARE frustrated, you aren't showing it, and it also should be directed at AR for the weird deadline

The language here that causally places blame on people involved in the moat dunk is suspicious to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

quid hows your day going

• Locked thread