Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Occultatio posted:

I greatly enjoyed the four hours I spent with Stick It To The Man! and would like to recommend the experience to anybody else interested in an adventure game/platformer hybrid that basically feels like it was made by Psychonauts-era Double Fine.

I found the writing to be consistently solid and charming -- while there were no laugh-out-loud moments, neither were there any where it felt like the game was trying too hard, and that's a difficult line to walk with this style of humor. The puzzles were also nicely composed -- a few steps above HOG difficulty to make them engaging and require some thought, but never obtuse. The action sequences were also handled really well: good difficulty, smooth controls, clever integration of the puzzle-solving mechanics, and (mercifully) short and clearly set apart from the puzzle-y sections of each level, with shortcuts after every one so you never have to play through them twice if you don't want to.

All in all, while it never attains brilliance, the game is a remarkably solid effort, and I can't really point to any flaws. I had fun!

the purple glowy tentacle made the screenshots visually that I thought they might be a sequence and kept trying to figure out how they fit together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Awesome! posted:

why do people keep asking about this terrible looking game about loving ghosts or whatever

Well its par for the course for every lovely anime fanservice game that gets posted here.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Black Griffon posted:

Look can someone just get Bastard Bonds and tell us how terrible it is? I'd do it, but there's better ways to spend money.

corn in the bible, come on down

Occultatio posted:

I greatly enjoyed the four hours I spent with Stick It To The Man! and would like to recommend the experience to anybody else interested in an adventure game/platformer hybrid that basically feels like it was made by Psychonauts-era Double Fine.

I found the writing to be consistently solid and charming -- while there were no laugh-out-loud moments, neither were there any where it felt like the game was trying too hard, and that's a difficult line to walk with this style of humor. The puzzles were also nicely composed -- a few steps above HOG difficulty to make them engaging and require some thought, but never obtuse. The action sequences were also handled really well: good difficulty, smooth controls, clever integration of the puzzle-solving mechanics, and (mercifully) short and clearly set apart from the puzzle-y sections of each level, with shortcuts after every one so you never have to play through them twice if you don't want to.

All in all, while it never attains brilliance, the game is a remarkably solid effort, and I can't really point to any flaws. I had fun!

Stick it to the man was a good, solid game that wasn't too long and I'm looking forward to playing it again when I forget more of it

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Am I crazy, or is there no direct way to download a new copy of the Steam client installer from the store's homepage? After upgrading and reformatting my computer, I had to Google "Steam client download," and I couldn't find any other way to get to that page.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

do you not have an "install steam" button in the top right corner?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

A good poster posted:

Am I crazy, or is there no direct way to download a new copy of the Steam client installer from the store's homepage? After upgrading and reformatting my computer, I had to Google "Steam client download," and I couldn't find any other way to get to that page.

You're crazy. There's a green 'install Steam' button in the top right that takes you to a page where you can download the client.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

A good poster posted:

Tiny green button in the upper right corner of the steam homepage. Just restored my computer myself, so I wondered about the same thing for a while.

E:f;b.

duckfarts posted:

Oh.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Okay, I picked up this game today and it is....alright. Basically it's a series of locked-room puzzles, except for the last puzzle which takes place over a number of screens and I really did not like that one. There's only a handful of puzzle rooms and it's not going to take more than three hours tops, and it's likely to to take much less than that. I was stuck on the last puzzle for like an hour and since this is some random small-time doujin game, there's probably not much info on the solutions at this point.

The interface is clunky as gently caress and does not natively support controllers. You move around with the arrow keys, z "examines", hit shift to pick between "examine" and "use." Interacting with hotspots can also be touchy at times. Surprisingly, it scales resolution pretty well unlike most games of this sort. You probably expected this to be one of those games with native 640x400 resolution that fullscreens into a complete stretched mess but that's not the case here.

The puzzles are decent and mostly well-done except for the last area, which is too big for the type of game it is and will result in a lot of tedious and frustrating backtracking as you figure out what to do. Also, the gimmick of "examining" is actually more like busy work that you have to do, like you'll have to "examine" and "use" every item in the room for the most part in order for the room to take shape properly. The ending is also dumb as poo poo.

While this sounds mostly negative, I liked Awareness Rooms for the most part. The puzzles were alright and it was over before I became too annoyed with it. It's an interesting enough, clunky little puzzle game that might be to your taste if you like the idea of playing a game most people will never give a first glance at and like really short games. I wouldn't call it particularly good, but if you're interested in small-time Japanese games, maybe give it a look at some point.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 17, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

A good poster posted:

Protip: If you're upgrading/reformatting a computer use Ninite, Steam is one of the programs they offer. It takes spending an hour downloading and running a bunch of installers and clicking "no" on all the search toolbar offers and turns it into one executable that runs in the background.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Does anyone have a code for Dungeon of the Endless from the last humble bundle? I want to get a copy to gift to a mate. Can do a few bucks on PayPal or a trade for EYE (you know you want it) if necessary.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Awesome! posted:

do you not have an "install steam" button in the top right corner?

HopperUK posted:

You're crazy. There's a green 'install Steam' button in the top right that takes you to a page where you can download the client.

Black Griffon posted:

Tiny green button in the upper right corner of the steam homepage. Just restored my computer myself, so I wondered about the same thing for a while.

Enhanced Steam replaced it with its own drop-down menu. :doh:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Xaris posted:

Did you want to start updating the good games list? It's pretty much stuff still <2015 and there's been a lot of good stuff since then. Hit me up on Steam or something.
Sure, if you have any "core" suggestions you can send them to me via Steam or PM or whatever, I'll leave credit where it's due in the OP of course.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
so, WASTED is really good and fun; good job, Mr. Podunkian :tinsley:

The only thing that's really bugging me right now is the inability to save during a level. I get that it's supposed to be roguelike and maybe you're preventing weird outside-the-game save scumming, but it's pretty annoying that I can't save and come back to it later.

For people who are having trouble with it, I put up a post in the What should I know before playing thread that should be helpful.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

HeartNotes3 posted:

Is Bastard Bonds a good game? The screenshots look complex and enticing without being grognard level and I was wondering if someone else already had it and could recommend it.

Coming off someone else's impressions from earlier tonight:

quote:

It's weird - this game takes homosexuality for granted the way most other games take heterosexuality for granted
Weird in an awesome way
Like of course this NPC is shirtless with assless chaps, because that's the kind of thing people would wear in a videogame
I probably would have never discovered this game if you all hadn't talked about Steam tags before
It's fantastic. It plays like it drew heavy inspiration from Tactics Ogre and weirdly enough, Knights in the Nightmare
It doesn't take any of the real-time stuff from Knights, just the way it twists conventional mechanics, and the way it delivers story
[...]
There's a demo on the dev's website, it's for an older, clunkier build of the game
And your saves do not transfer
I do think it's great that this is one case of steam recommendations actually sorta working
I've been playing for about 4 hours - about 2.5 with the demo and 1.5 with the full version and I'm still being surprised by new cool systems

I'm probably going to buy this once I finish a few titles. It sounds solid.

Nathyrra
Oct 22, 2008

Unwisely, Santa offered a teddy bear to James, unaware that he had been mauled by a grizzly earlier that year.

BurritoJustice posted:

Does anyone have a code for Dungeon of the Endless from the last humble bundle? I want to get a copy to gift to a mate. Can do a few bucks on PayPal or a trade for EYE (you know you want it) if necessary.

Sent you a PM.

EDIT:

Hooked a brother up.

Nathyrra fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 17, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

duckfarts posted:

Stick it to the man was a good, solid game that wasn't too long and I'm looking forward to playing it again when I forget more of it

I am on a job for the next few months so uh I'm not gonna waste my time on the rape rpg thx

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

By the way, Voidspire Tactics is a very good srpg that doesn't have rape in it at all

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

By the way, Voidspire Tactics is a very good srpg that doesn't have rape in it at all

Is voidspire tactics as gay as Bastard Bonds though

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

There's a build your bundle on Bundlestars and I am having a hard time choosing 3-5-8 games. Don't know any of them except towerwars that I own. I'll probably take fritz since I am a chessplayer and have owned many chessbase products in the past. Stronghold looked cool but the reviews are pretty negative.

I am looking each game up on steam but it's long en tedious.

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/promotions/strategy-pick-mix

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Centauri Sector and Nightmare Cooperative were the first two I randomly looked at and they look awesome.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cossacks: Back to War is basically the definitive version of the original Cossacks series. It has a bunch of missions, and also a cheap expansion DLC to add in all the campaigns from the original games and expansions. It's also made by the STALKER developers, if that matters.

Cossacks 2 adds a Total War overworld map and better squad controls, but removes the designed nature of proper campaigns. It's weird but pretty good imho.

Do not buy Stronghold 3 ever

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

I am on a job for the next few months so uh I'm not gonna waste my time on the rape rpg thx

I don't think bastard bonds has rape in it, I think it's just really, really gay

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

ShadowMoo posted:

Steam finally added a way to customize your discover queue and turn off stuff like Early Access and unreleased games. You can also block specific tags.

Thank gently caress. I actually emailed Gaben about a week ago for this and now it's here. Coincidence? Nope. You're welcome goons.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It would be cool if they did something similar for the Library. I was surprised but not really when I returned to Steam after ~3 years and it's still got the same feature barren UI for managing your library. (I know of 3rd party sites)

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It would be cool if they did something similar for the Library. I was surprised but not really when I returned to Steam after ~3 years and it's still got the same feature barren UI for managing your library. (I know of 3rd party sites)

It boggles my mind that steam still has no sorting options at all. You must create your own tags. How I wish my library worked like the store. With all the sorting options. 550 games is often hell to sort thru. Cannot imagine what it's like for the thousand+ game owners.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is Grey Goo a good deal for $4 in that E3 Humble Bundle for someone who's only a casual RTS player?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Iznogood posted:

There's a build your bundle on Bundlestars and I am having a hard time choosing 3-5-8 games. Don't know any of them except towerwars that I own. I'll probably take fritz since I am a chessplayer and have owned many chessbase products in the past. Stronghold looked cool but the reviews are pretty negative.

Prime World Defenders is a pretty neat tower defence game, but it can be a bit grindy. You rely on card drops to improve your existing towers and to get some of the more advanced ones. But it has some really interesting enemies and maps and is worth getting if you like TD games in general.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Iznogood posted:

It boggles my mind that steam still has no sorting options at all. You must create your own tags. How I wish my library worked like the store. With all the sorting options. 550 games is often hell to sort thru. Cannot imagine what it's like for the thousand+ game owners.

This site is pretty great for this: http://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/

Still boggles my mind that Valve themselves haven't implemented this because it's basically a free summer intern project, but that site works pretty well.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Mafia 3 is looking more interesting than I initially gave it credit for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE12a0ZEHbc

I thought it was going to be an undercooked budget clone of Mafia 2, but it actually looks kind of intriguing. I think they're right that the combat seems kind of iffy, but I've heard that it plays better than it looks.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Iznogood posted:

Militia looks fun, and maybe Prime World, but finding a third game is really hard. Everything has reviews in the 50-70% range on Steam and the 70s don't interest me at all.

I might just wishlist Militia and grab it on the cheap at a steam sale.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
ib this page my tired eyes see the word bast ard onbes and tben seeing someone talk about "Stick i tothe main!" and "greygoo" and im like are thes just bastard bondsl dLC?
heres the review, no i dont want this game ><

if I met a dude ho wwas lik "this is me, im bastard bones" I think i dont want to be their friend no offense but its just like super EXTRA gay in a way thats not cool for thine eyees

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't think bastard bonds has rape in it, I think it's just really, really gay

this made me laugh tl

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

Mystic Stylez posted:

How are the mouse & keyboard controls of the latest Resident Evil 4 PC version? And is the port good enough to justify buying this game for like the fifth time?

This question got lost in the golfchat last page, but I'd love to hear from people that played Resident Evil 4 on both the GameCube and the PC. Are the PC controls decent? I love RE4, but I would love it even more if I could play it with decent keyboard + mouse controls.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Lonjon posted:

This question got lost in the golfchat last page, but I'd love to hear from people that played Resident Evil 4 on both the GameCube and the PC. Are the PC controls decent? I love RE4, but I would love it even more if I could play it with decent keyboard + mouse controls.

The controls are fine but make the game too easy. Play with the controller if you don't want to be bored.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Does the PC version have tank controls? I vaguely remember quitting the X360 version because I hated them so much.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

This is cute, I own Anno 1404 but I can't post a review for it because I live in a region where they only sell Dawn of Discovery.

1. Banished
2. StarTopia
3. Imperium Romanum Gold Edition
4. Port Royale 2
5. 1849
6. Cities in Motion
7. AdvertCity
8. Anno 2070
9. Big Pharma
10. Tropico Reloaded
11. The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom
12. SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition
13. Knights and Merchants
14. Patrician III
15. Stronghold HD
16. Children of the Nile

17. Anno 1404 / Dawn of Discovery

Like a lot of Anno fans now, I came at the series a bit backward, starting with 2070. It goes back quite a bit further than 1404, this one being the fourth installment of the inexplicably-named series. There's a lot of debate over which is better, 1404 or 2070, because of how very close they cut to each other. I don't think I'll be settling that debate here, but I will be telling you about a wonderful little city-builder that's easy to lose hours to.

As you might have guessed, Anno 1404 is set during a fictional period in the Renaissance, at a time of discovery, expansion, and war. In the eight-mission campaign, the Cardinal has ordered a crusade against the Orient and you become caught up in a (pretty straightforward) web of intrigue and betrayal. Each mission charges you with forming a colony across several islands, balancing residents and their needs against your industries and their costs. The campaign does an excellent job of easing you into all the aspects of the game, allowing you to tackle the challenges of each mission at your own pace.

The core of every Anno game is supply chains, and 1404 is certainly no different. Your residences pay taxes and expect certain goods like food, drink, clothes, and so on to prosper. Those taxes pay the upkeep costs on your industries that supply these needs, as well as those that generate construction materials, warships, and more. Space on each island is limited and resources are split across different islands, so setting up automated trade routes between lands soon becomes necessary. It won't take too long to figure out the proportions of each good needed, and you'll soon have your islands bustling with growth and commerce.

Characters during missions may make special requests of you, and can also be traded with. There are a few hidden missions as well, found by clicking on specific buildings or citizens, but really most of your time will be consumed by organizing your islands for optimal growth. After the introductory scenarios, 1404 requires you to grow two separate communities in parallel, the Occident and the Orient. Both require resources that can only be produced by the other, so you'll always be growing across multiple islands.

This is the big point that cools me a little on 1404 as compared to 2070, honestly. Instead of having the choice of the Global Trust or Eden Initiative for every scenario, you're always going to building Occident and then Orient. The supply chains in 1404 are more complex but building the same ones every game is a bit of a drag by comparison. If you've played a lot of 2070 then the absence of elements like the Ark, underwater development, and ecobalance will be more than a little noticeable as well. You'll also have to make do without the council votes, daily missions, or customization options those bring.

1404 is by no means a bad game, in fact it's still one of the more relaxing and engaging city-builders I've had the pleasure of playing. But it does suffer if you've played 2070 first, simply in lacking the same breadth of content. If you prefer the Renaissance stylings to sci-fi future then this is the title for you, because the buildings and landscapes are rendered in loving detail. The sound design is just as good too, with plenty of creaking ships and clattering carts. If you're new to the Anno series there's no reason not to start here, and for veterans from the future you're still likely to find some familiar fun.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Anno numbering isn't that inexplicable really, you had 1602, 1503, 1701... gently caress.

The digits do always add up to nine, though.

I played the hell out of 1602 back when it came out, liked 2070, but haven't been able to get into 1404. It's that thing where if you play the more advanced version of the franchise it can be difficult to go back to the earlier ones.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Meowbot posted:

ib this page my tired eyes see the word bast ard onbes and tben seeing someone talk about "Stick i tothe main!" and "greygoo" and im like are thes just bastard bondsl dLC?
heres the review, no i dont want this game ><

if I met a dude ho wwas lik "this is me, im bastard bones" I think i dont want to be their friend no offense but its just like super EXTRA gay in a way thats not cool for thine eyees

this made me laugh tl

Hey Meowbot, do you play overwatch? I played with a guy named Meowbot and i was wondering if it was you

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

Does the PC version have tank controls? I vaguely remember quitting the X360 version because I hated them so much.

It's the exact same game. I don't know how RE4 would work without tank controls honestly. Though mouse aiming makes the combat pretty easy from just being able to hit things that much more accurately. Though you might need to adjust the options because the game comes with two control options, 1:1 mouse aiming and an option that emulates a controller/Wii controller which includes a weird dead zone in the center of the screen that is more aggravating than anything else.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Iznogood posted:

In the time since it's inception, Steam has evolved at about the same pace as alkaline batteries. It is the backbone of our economy, but as a piece of software it is inefficient and bland. But you know, let's all heap praise on gaben for no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

WhatEvil posted:

Thank gently caress. I actually emailed Gaben about a week ago for this and now it's here. Coincidence? Nope. You're welcome goons.
I got VR tags in the queue when they should be blocked. What a surprise the system isn't perfect.

• Locked thread