Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Simplicity is fine, but I expected custom PCBs and coolers, not reference with a sticker.

We've seen one of those, so hopefully we'll get both and all will be well.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Wow. :classiclol:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That actually doesn't surprise me.

Leak small numbers now at the FE pricing while building up an actually stock.

Then drop a huge batch and have a "Sale" at the same time as AMD drops their cards.

Evil, yet brilliant.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Holy poo poo

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

lmao someone is loving fired

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EdEddnEddy posted:

Then drop a huge batch and have a "Sale" at the same time as AMD drops their cards.

Dropping prices on things they're selling now would be a terrible idea.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

A scan.uk employee said they are getting shipments of ASUS Rog Strix in batches of 10, lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm not sure keeping people from being able to buy your product until a competitor's lower priced product hits market is all that brilliant of a scheme.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I wouldn't be surprised if thats true, but keep in mind thats Needle and not Newegg. I'm sure Newegg would not be happy to see that

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

fozzy fosbourne posted:

A scan.uk employee said they are getting shipments of ASUS Rog Strix in batches of 10, lol

Yeah. It's even worse at Amazon- I grabbed a Zotac founders 1070 last night, and they had five come in.

Five.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if thats true, but keep in mind thats Needle and not Newegg. I'm sure Newegg would not be happy to see that

Apparently the guy told my co-worker he was "contracted by NewEgg", but that's probably just describing the Needle relationship. Probably.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

There's also this thing I posted earlier, http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52650/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-stock-improve-until-late-july/index.html, and amazon reps have been tossing out dates for preorders made on May 27 anywhere from mid July to late July. Who knows. This is where it would be nice to have some transparency.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Managed to grab a Gigabyte 1070 after losing it at the confirmation screen the first time. Then I realized my power supply is over 5 years old, and my SSD is from 2010, and next thing I know I've dropped over $1200 on a new system.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Dropping prices on things they're selling now would be a terrible idea.

They don't even need to actually drop prices. They just need to actually be placed at the MSRP.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bleh Maestro posted:

They don't even need to actually drop prices. They just need to actually be placed at the MSRP.

Dropping the effective price for purchasing from a retailer would be bad, and (reasonably, IMO) infuriate their most eager buyers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

All signs just point to a plain old supply constraint. No conspiracies make sense.

Frustrating your customers with not being able to buy your product until your competitor releases a product with 80% of the performance for half the cost is going to lead to people defecting. It's in Nvidia's best interest to hook as many buyers as possible now to deny those potential sales to AMD.

Lowering price on existing products later also makes no sense since most people with be in a return/refund period when the AMD product launches. Besides, there ARE products at MSRP. Look at EVGA's lineup. They have a $599 1080 card. It's a reference design with a blower. That's what everyone really expected out of the bottom end MSRP price anyways.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 17, 2016

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I have one more thing to add to the terrible drivers discussion from a page or two back.

AMD driver support does not go back very far. All cards 6000 series and older receive no more driver updates. Some 7000 and R-series cards (the VLIW-based low-end cards) are in the same boat. Basically, once an AMD graphics chip has been on the market for five years, users can go gently caress themselves, no matter how long ago AMD actually sold the chip. Maybe the 7850 (and better) cards will be supported longer than this because Polaris and Vega appear to be updated riffs on GCN.

Nvidia driver support goes all the way back to their 8000 series cards. Ten years of graphics chips still receive somewhat regular updates.

Maybe this doesn't matter to you since you trade GPUs for the newest and hottest every year or two. I buy a graphics card every 3-4 years and recycle old ones into HTPCs or a relatives' computers. AMD offers much less value if you plan to keep a graphics card in circulation for a long time.

I built a gaming PC out of old parts for my nephew a few months ago. I wanted to play SUPERHOT (not a particularly demanding game) to make sure everything worked. Playing the game withe a Radeon 6850 delivered slide show performance; playing on a GTX 460 768MB (the weakest of several GTX 460 revisions) was completely playable. The Radeon card has raw specs (memory bandwidth, pixel/texel rate, GFLOPs, etc.) 30-70% better than the 460, but for some reason, possibly lack of ongoing driver support, the game ran like poo poo on the substantially more powerful AMD card.

The AMD driver support problem gets a whole lot worse if the AMD's financials continue to deteriorate.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

PBCrunch posted:

The AMD driver support problem gets a whole lot worse if the AMD's financials continue to deteriorate.

But modern AMD drivers's aren't terrible.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Somehow The Witcher 3 draws more power for me than Furmark. My PC kept shutting off during The Witcher yet would run Furmark and Furmark + Prime95 all day which led me away from thinking it was a PSU issue. Turns out my PSU fan was stuck somehow and just needed to be unstuck and now everything works fine.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

wargames posted:

He means if you're using something like an HD 5770 you're hosed.

It's not a particularly good argument, since the 460 is Fermi and is the origin of Nvidia's current set of architectures and their first real "we should keep this consistent" effort, whereas GCN is AMD's attempt at doing such a thing.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

bull3964 posted:

All signs just point to a plain old supply constraint. No conspiracies make sense.

Frustrating your customers with not being able to buy your product until you're competitor releases a product with 80% of the performance for half the cost is going to lead to people defecting. It's in Nvidia's best interest to hook as many buyers as possible now to deny those potential sales to AMD.

Lowering price on existing products later also makes no sense since most people with be in a return/refund period when the AMD product launches. Besides, there ARE products at MSRP. Look at EVGA's lineup. They have a $599 1080 card. It's a reference design with a blower. That's what everyone really expected out of the bottom end MSRP price anyways.

The only conspiracy theory that makes sense to me is if they heavily weighted the distribution of chips available for Founder's Edition relative to AIBs for the first month or two, and then balance things more right before competition enters the market. Without knowing the distribution between FE and non, it's all speculation on either side of the tin foil.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

PBCrunch posted:

I have one more thing to add to the terrible drivers discussion from a page or two back.

AMD driver support does not go back very far. All cards 6000 series and older receive no more driver updates. Some 7000 and R-series cards (the VLIW-based low-end cards) are in the same boat. Basically, once an AMD graphics chip has been on the market for five years, users can go gently caress themselves, no matter how long ago AMD actually sold the chip. Maybe the 7850 (and better) cards will be supported longer than this because Polaris and Vega appear to be updated riffs on GCN.

Hah, I just ran into this at work. I had problems with my computer, so I grabbed a spare computer from 2011 with Radeon X1300/X1550. It had some problems with monitor blanking and I noticed it was running with drivers from 2009 and Windows couldn't find newer ones. I went to download drivers but turns out AMD only had drivers up to Vista :( I guess the card must have been a spare from older computer I had stuck in there at some point, but still a quite a bit of surprise.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

wargames posted:

And equally important, their GCN cards have all outperformed their NV equivalents in the long run. Imagine buying a 780 or even 780 Ti to last this long and looking at how the 290 drubs them.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Tell me that this only looks boring as hell because of what Nvidia has done.

Its basicaly identical to the 390x reference blower.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

And equally important, their GCN cards have all outperformed their NV equivalents in the long run. Imagine buying a 780 or even 780 Ti to last this long and looking at how the 290 drubs them.

*in DX12
**playing ashes of the singularity

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Im sure the guy chatting with you in india knows all the details. Ill ask my uncle when i get home what he knows, he works at nintendo.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EdEddnEddy posted:

That actually doesn't surprise me.

Leak small numbers now at the FE pricing while building up an actually stock.

Evil, yet brilliant.

:lol:

And yet some people just refused to believe it was a paper launch. Sending out a handful of engineering/early-production samples to reviewers and stores to generate marketing buzz before the product was really in full production is literally how that term was coined.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 17, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure keeping people from being able to buy your product until a competitor's lower priced product hits market is all that brilliant of a scheme.

Mindshare is super important. Having the fastest card sells downmarket cards because "it means NVIDIA is best" for your average consumer.

Sure it's stupid but consumers aren't rational, that's why marketing works. Your average consumer isn't spending hours reading reviews to find the best balance of price and performance, they just buy whatever they heard was a good brand or whatever.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 17, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Paul MaudDib posted:

:lol:

And yet some people just refused to believe it was a paper launch.

Its kind of true though that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Wouldn't availability now be better than availability later from any perspective, especially for cards that cost twice as much? Like who exactly would that sway from buying a 480? "The 480 looks nice, but now the 1070 is available!" vs "The 480 looks nice, but I already bought a 1070 because it was already available woops"

Also who would "they" be telling a Needle customer support subcontractor about some evil nvidia plan to withhold cards

edit: Oh I get it, it means they released too early rather than holding back stock. Lol ok, thats 100% believable

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

*in DX12
**playing ashes of the singularity

The 290 ties the Ti in 1080 and wins in higher res, and I'm pretty sure TPU was testing with a reference 290 for the 1080 review (yes I'm being lazy on benchmarks, on the phone).

Unless you're playing PCARS or something...

UntunedGuitar47
Nov 21, 2008

Icept posted:

Aww yeah :respek:

How is your card performing? I did not futz around with any overclocking and stuff and mine is between 1911 and 1979 MHz on boost. Most of the time it's either at 1949 or 1924 MHz at 70°C and close to inaudible. I'm very satisfied with my purchase and Doom on max settings is freaking gorgeous. :allears:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

The 290 ties the Ti in 1080 and wins in higher res, and I'm pretty sure TPU was testing with a reference 290 for the 1080 review (yes I'm being lazy on benchmarks, on the phone).

Unless you're playing PCARS or something...

The 290 is a good card

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

How noticeable of a jump is a 980ti over a 970 at 1440p? My old 1080p gaming monitor died, and my 970 just isn't keeping up now that I'm using a 1440p display. I'm planning to get a 1080 once the dust settles a bit, but the idea of getting an EVGA 980ti now and then doing a step-up to a 1080 is pretty tempting.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Don Lapre posted:

Im sure the guy chatting with you in india knows all the details. Ill ask my uncle when i get home what he knows, he works at nintendo.

They would probably have access to expected shipment dates and quantities, and it's not hard to piece together that they're picking up after the 480 launches.

B&H is getting stock around the same time. And Amazon was giving "no later than July 13" for some of their preorder times too at one point (some people got moved up).

I guess we'll see what happens, but a couple retailers do seem to have some shipments coming early-mid July. It's only a couple weeks away.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 17, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Enos Cabell posted:

How noticeable of a jump is a 980ti over a 970 at 1440p? My old 1080p gaming monitor died, and my 970 just isn't keeping up now that I'm using a 1440p display. I'm planning to get a 1080 once the dust settles a bit, but the idea of getting an EVGA 980ti now and then doing a step-up to a 1080 is pretty tempting.

Significant, there is no question you see every drop of improvement when you switch from a 970 to a 980ti at 1440p. Its usually at least 50% better iirc, and performs similarly to 970 SLI (which at the time was eye popping)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Enos Cabell posted:

40-50% faster. About the same as SLI 970s.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks, both of you. Trying to decide if the hassle of step-up is balanced out by the short term performance gains, and it's sounding like it probably is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Paul MaudDib posted:

Mindshare is super important. Having the fastest card sells downmarket cards because "it means NVIDIA is best" for your average consumer.

Sure it's stupid but consumers aren't rational, that's why marketing works. Your average consumer isn't spending hours reading reviews to find the best balance of price and performance, they just buy whatever they heard was a good brand or whatever.

They also buy what they can buy and unless someone at Nvidia is SUPER agile with their supply chain including coordinating with all their partners, there's no way they are going be able to manipulate supply to suddenly saturate the market when the RX 480 hits. Besides all that, evidence is directly to the contrary already. The RX 480 launches June 29th. Supply for the 1070 and 1080 aren't expected to ease up until mid July.

If AMD launches at volume at the end of June, Nvidia stands to lose business from people tired of waiting. Those are all sales that Nvidia could have locked up now if they could meet demand.

That's why it's silly to think they are intentionally constraining supply as some sort of elaborate game to pummel AMD when they launch their card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Enos Cabell posted:

Maybe 30% better depending on the game?
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980_Ti/20.html