Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Max Carnage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Rooster Cogburn

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Brick Hardmeat

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dead Snoopy posted:

Anyone given TNT's new show Animal Kingdom a try? I was surprised how into it I got.

No, but I was really wary of getting into it. Animal Kingdom (the movie) was my favorite movie of the year it came out.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

People didn't like the Fringe finale? I found it sweet and a decent closing to the show. Almost all finales* are terrible so I was happy with what we got

*Not Hannibal's, the Hannibal finale is probably the best ever.

I didn't get to it. Season 5 was a real punishing ride.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Brett Gelman's next "Dinner" special, Dinner in America, will premier July 1st. I can't even begin to imagine how hosed up this one is going to be.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shageletic posted:

I didn't get to it. Season 5 was a real punishing ride.

Interesting. I thought it was a beloved thing by fringe fans. It's certainly not the best season, but it's miles ahead of most finale seasons, imo. I liked Walter's ending a lot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Uhhh

http://www.avclub.com/article/macgyver-tv-reboot-has-already-been-rebooted-238408

I guess it can't get any worse than that horrible trailer they aired.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

GreenNight posted:

Uhhh

http://www.avclub.com/article/macgyver-tv-reboot-has-already-been-rebooted-238408

Oh man I want to watch both of these pilots now out of sheer morbid curiosity

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Can they at least give him a haircut in the new pilot?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Fringe s5e7 "Five-Twenty-Ten"

Another good episode! Peter is turning into an Observer, and Joshua Jackson is really selling it. Walter's musical tastes continue to be awesome as he sits in the dark listening to David Bowie's The Man Who Sold the World. Anna Torv kind of does some acting as Olivia continues to worry about Peter. Nina Sharp looks great with silver hair.

I'm not sure Walter actually understands brain surgery. Or maybe it's the writers. I can definitely see this season being pretty decent in a vacuum. Which I guess is what they were going for, after all.

Meanwhile, in Capeside, Pacey has revealed to Joey that he has bought an old boat to fix up. He has named it "True Love". Last episode, Pacey and Dawson came to blows, but then made up, saying that if they are going to fight, it should at least be over a girl. This show loves its foreshadowing.

Also this exchange, from the previous episode, where Dawson gets offended by someone preferring television to film:

Dawson: Oh... All right, you know what? Take Felicity, for example. Aw, come on, if you've seen one hour of whiny, over analytical teen angst, you've seen them all. Don't get me wrong. She's pretty, but what kind of a heroine is she? Well, she's-- she's indecisive. She's basically...Paralyzed by some romantic notion of the way things are supposed to be. If you ask me, she's kind of chatty.

Eve: She's you.

Dawson: Excuse me?

Eve: She's you, Dawson. Except she's in college and a girl and...

Dawson: A fictional character on a television show.

Eve: Exactly. Think about it. You're straight out of central casting. Perfect hair, perfect skin-- our hero.

Dawson: Well, obviously you weren't watching last season. It was far from perfect. You know, which is, in general, my complaint about television. It's not reality, it's perfection. I mean, nobody ever blows it or gets tested in any real way or ever makes the wrong choice or bad choice or...

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 18, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Interesting. I thought it was a beloved thing by fringe fans. It's certainly not the best season, but it's miles ahead of most finale seasons, imo. I liked Walter's ending a lot.

Snak was making the point. It lost interest in working on an episode level in favor of callbacks and a pretty cliche sci fi meta plotline. I lost interest mid-way and never bothered finishing it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's like being 3 units short of getting your degree and dropping out to create Pets.com

Go finish your degree.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Postal Parcel posted:

So what do people think about TBS's original comedies The Detour and Wrecked? I personally like both but I think Detour had more laughs and will have more consistency by the end of Wrecked's season. I've also heard that Wrecked sort of...drops off past the first 4 or so episodes.

Anyway, I'm asking this because I've read soooo many comments people say they are dropping the show because Liam(played by James Scott?) died off in the first episode. The same scene that has been shown in preview trailers for about a month now. And it's so funny because I don't believe the show could really exist if there was someone so competent and leader-like that everyone stays calm and collected. I guess this is just another example of commenters being loving stupid.

Have there been any bursts of outrage by people saying shadow was "poorly cast" or "doesn't look/feel like the character"? I just love reading those, like when the obviously Asian sounding Harry Potter girl was played by an Asian actress.

Me and another guy here loved The Detour. But its like no one has seen it.

Animal Kingdom is good y'all. I had my doubts considering how much I loved the movie, but it does a real good job justifying itself. The criminal family material can seem to sustain itself for at least a while. And the characters are interesting, and the viewpoint unflinching.

Mu Zeta posted:

That's like being 3 units short of getting your degree and dropping out to create Pets.com

Go finish your degree.

Ha. But I simultaneously got accepted into Harvard, Yale, and Stanford, and I have so many options I don't even know where to start.

Uh I think I got lost in my metaphor

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 18, 2016

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Uhhh

Totally worth axing Limitless and Person of Interest, guys

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tortolia posted:

Totally worth axing Limitless and Person of Interest, guys

Person of Interest got five seasons despite under-performing with ratings and was given a set end date and an entire season to wrap things up, I will never understand the bitterness surrounding its cancellation considering it got more than twice as many episodes as Carnivale and Deadwood and Hannibal and seven times as many episodes as Terriers and Firefly.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Person of Interest was not given a set end date, they weren't even told that they were being cancelled or that it would be a shortened season but they read the writing on the wall and the writing said "gently caress You" so they wrote the latest season under the (correct) assumption that it would be their last.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

raditts posted:

Person of Interest was not given a set end date, they weren't even told that they were being cancelled or that it would be a shortened season but they read the writing on the wall and the writing said "gently caress You" so they wrote the latest season under the (correct) assumption that it would be their last.

They were renewed for a 13 episode season. So that alone should have set off alarm bells for the showrunners who were smart enough to see it would be the last season.

Then the showrunners handed in their final few scripts that basically wrapped everything up and didn't get any pushback from CBS, so they had to have known it was dead at that point(just no official word).

Yea it was absolutely lovely that CBS didn't tell them that they were cancelled, but they were still smart enough to see it was a final season and wrote it as one which is more than a ton of other shows get.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The showrunner and creator for Person of Interest literally had to announce it was the series finale in an online interview because CBS was dicking them around.

Also it is owned and produced by WB so it makes sense they would drop it. Limitless though, yeesh, what a mistake in more ways than one canceling that.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Sober posted:

Also it is owned and produced by WB so it makes sense they would drop it. Limitless though, yeesh, what a mistake in more ways than one canceling that.

Why? Did it get good ratings?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Shageletic posted:

Me and another guy here loved The Detour. But its like no one has seen it.

My roommate and I really liked it. More people should watch it so it actually gets a second season.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It already got renewed for a second season before the first even aired.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

POI was a good show but let's not pretend that it didn't turn to poo poo when Caveziel improved a non-existant true wuv arc into a death scene of a major character. It wasn't that that killed it, but it fell apart around then.

I mean maybe this current season is good but I haven't been able to muster up enough of a poo poo to watch it after the last one was just wheels spinning.

e: the point is POI got every break in the world.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Wandle Cax posted:

Why? Did it get good ratings?
Code Black which is co-owned by ABC and CBS and Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders which is fully owned by CBS were renewed while both had worse ratings than Limitless, which is pretty much also entirely owned by CBS.

So yeah. It's probably also a branding issue, probably skews too young for CBS and all that.

In case you didn't know or care to know in this era of television a lot of broadcasters are wary about shows from outside studios because they're not likely to grab viewers for attractive ad buys during live broadcast, and they won't make any money if the show makes it to syndication (if people even care about buying syndication rights anymore anyway). At least with international sales they can maybe recoup the cost. Which is why WB's shows sometimes can do alright but will get passed over on ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.metacritic.com/tv/mother-may-i-sleep-with-danger

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Making it into a wackety-shamackety lesbian vampire movie seems to completely miss the point of why old Lifetime movies were so funny. It's like the guy trying to make a sequel to Manos: Hands of Fate with luchadores and poo poo in it.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
POI is great and gently caress CBS for giving them a shortened final season. It's been really obvious this season that they had a lot planned for a full-length season but had to shave a ton of plot points and storylines off to make things work.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

HorseRenoir posted:

POI is great and gently caress CBS for giving them a shortened final season. It's been really obvious this season that they had a lot planned for a full-length season but had to shave a ton of plot points and storylines off to make things work.

Yeah, it really makes you wish that they didn't waste last season spinning their wheels.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, it really makes you wish that they didn't waste last season spinning their wheels.

Even in the context of this season, it feels like they introduced a bunch of plotlines and then around episode 10 they realized "oh poo poo we're not getting an extension", and then they had to jam an entire half-season's worth of story into 3-4 episodes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

POI was a good show but let's not pretend that it didn't turn to poo poo when Caveziel improved a non-existant true wuv arc into a death scene of a major character. It wasn't that that killed it, but it fell apart around then.

I mean maybe this current season is good but I haven't been able to muster up enough of a poo poo to watch it after the last one was just wheels spinning.

e: the point is POI got every break in the world.

It'll never not be funny how pissypantsed some people got and apparently still are about that scene. If anything dragged the show down it was the mediocre fourth season and how they didn't have the capability to really demonstrate the level to which the stakes had been raised once Samaritan had control.

I really hated season 4.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Amy Acker is super hot

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mu Zeta posted:

Amy Acker is super hot

Something we definitely can agree on.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

The problem is that Fringe ended on a high note at the end of S4, since most of the big story threads were wrapped up. So S5 feels more like "Oh, poo poo, we got renewed, we really weren't expecting that, that's why we resolved the plot back in S4 finale. OK, so now here's a story about those observers."

It's not horrible, it's just there.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

raditts posted:

It'll never not be funny how pissypantsed some people got and apparently still are about that scene. If anything dragged the show down it was the mediocre fourth season and how they didn't have the capability to really demonstrate the level to which the stakes had been raised once Samaritan had control.

I really hated season 4.

I didn't realize how much I disliked season 4 until season 5 started and I couldn't be bothered to watch most of it until I realized the finale is next week and I binged it. To be fair, the long break didn't help either, and I think this is the last network show I'm still watching, so I'm not really the target viewer at this point. I'm glad it's wrapping up though.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I didn't mind Season 4, but you could tell that the writers still thought the network was going to give them two more seasons to finish things out and that really hurt the season in retrospect.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

HorseRenoir posted:

I didn't mind Season 4, but you could tell that the writers still thought the network was going to give them two more seasons to finish things out and that really hurt the season in retrospect.

Also that their storyline at that point hinged on Shaw's presence and, well, Shahi was pregnant with twins by they time they started filming the first episodes. It's incredibly obvious that the second half of the season was more than anything them dragging it along until she could return. Just, CBS didn't renew the show for even a full final season so, welp.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

HorseRenoir posted:

One more reason Hannibal rules, it also had a six year plan but they were willing to deviate from it and were that much stronger because half a season of Hannibal on the run was already too much.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Guy Mann posted:

half a season of Hannibal on the run was already too much.

Conversely, the Italy episodes were some of my favorite in the series. I would have very much enjoyed a full season of that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

:stare:

Anton Yelchin died

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/19/11973274/anton-yelchin-actor-dead-at-27

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Da gently caress?

• Locked thread