Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Chief Savage Man posted:

I mean the first is a fairly accurate representation of living in newly developed suburbia. The second I have to imagine those brown looking splotches are the enormous shits the bison left on your yard. I had bison running around the big city park in my last city within about twenty meters of young children playing. Now I'm in the mood for seeing if there are mods for having different types of animals and letting them run around your city more. I want elephants walking down the street.

Elephants?? Have you not read Boatmurdered?? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Pile of Kittens posted:

Elephants?? Have you not read Boatmurdered?? :gonk:
I want a mod that replaces water with lava.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
a little more. i decided to use the new stadium, think it looks pretty good. my city has won 1/1 games played so far. i built a small railway extension to it, finally getting to use boformer's sunken station. the railway is cut and cover under a park.

at the top of the image is some work towards out of town retail and industrial estates. on the right hand side is the beginning of a 'garden city' kind of suburb.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like the tram line going to the station and the nice realistic depot.
I'm watching/following blender tutorials all day. I really need to start at like interface 101 level poo poo. I really hope I can be a cool dude modeler like some of you one day.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

gently caress I don't know what I'm doing and sort of hate blender, no matter how many tutorials I watch, super basic interface/editing things I want to do I can't figure out and I have no idea if I'm modeling "right"

Trying to make a little boring building but when I got to UV unwrapping I realized everything is a mess of edges passing through faces that aren't actually subdivided and all sorts of messy geometry that isn't put together right.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Longbaugh01 posted:

Try the No Seagulls mod. Apparently, each seagull is an actual agent that counts towards the limit, and there's more of them than what what you'd think!

Holy poo poo it plays so much smoother without any seagulls!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Metrication posted:

a little more. i decided to use the new stadium, think it looks pretty good. my city has won 1/1 games played so far. i built a small railway extension to it, finally getting to use boformer's sunken station. the railway is cut and cover under a park.

at the top of the image is some work towards out of town retail and industrial estates. on the right hand side is the beginning of a 'garden city' kind of suburb.

I gotta stop coming into this thread, I get so angry when I see this sort of poo poo. I'll never make cities like this :negative:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mister Adequate posted:

I gotta stop coming into this thread, I get so angry when I see this sort of poo poo. I'll never make cities like this :negative:

No no! You make your cities. Never mind how they compare to other cities. Just love them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Actually it's really good to compare your stuff to other people's stuff, that's how we learn and get better and get new ideas.
Metrication's stuff makes me realize I need way more open space. I tend to just build a medieval-european pattern of development over and over so it's just sprawling super dense wall to wall blocks everywhere, which is cool for your historic core but doesn't look interesting when sprawling over the whole map like that.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

This is Gallzig:

Nestled in the heart of the mountain valley district, Gallzig (or Jaillecy, according to the new government) has a long, contentious history. Traces of its past are scarce on the ground, however, as the city had to be practically rebuilt from scratch after the war, giving the venerable city a new shine and a chance to draw in new people.

A blossoming town, the present metropolitan area is primarily comprised of three distinct towns that are rapidly growing into each other:

First is Gallzig proper. Much of the city was flattened by war's end, and it has taken a number of years before the government fully committed itself to the city's reconstruction. Only a few elements of the old town remain- notably, Gallzig Central Station still stands, and has served as a focal point for reconstruction. Upriver from the station, Ducal Island, artificially separated from the mainland by a canal, was almost completely depopulated, and has only recently begun being redeveloped. Across the river, the village of St. Roman fared better, but is now slowly being absorbed by the expanding city of Gallzig.

Upriver from Gallzig is the small mill town of Welschberg. Although the nucleus of the town dates back nearly as far as Gallzig itself- Galliacum and Mons Vallus are both attested in Carolingian documents- its current shape is largely due to the establishment of the local textile industry in the mid-19th century. Progress has been made since war's end to make Welschberg's water potable again.

Nestled in the foothills of the nearby mountains is the humble community of Lower Hauptdorf. Hauptdorf Proper has yet to be reclaimed, but Lower Hauptdorf has done well for itself. Its primary claim to fame is the old fortress at the base of the town; before unification, the town served as one of the redoubts of the old royalist government, but now the walls and cannons serve only as a tourist attraction.

Despite the trials and tribulations of yesteryear, Gallzig's renewal offers a bright and hopeful tomorrow for its residents. Every day, new houses are built, and every day, new streets are laid. The scars of the past are gradually fading away, and with the end of Gallzig's dark past surely comes a bright future.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Baronjutter posted:

gently caress I don't know what I'm doing and sort of hate blender, no matter how many tutorials I watch, super basic interface/editing things I want to do I can't figure out and I have no idea if I'm modeling "right"

Trying to make a little boring building but when I got to UV unwrapping I realized everything is a mess of edges passing through faces that aren't actually subdivided and all sorts of messy geometry that isn't put together right.
Cleaning up your geometry is pretty important. Everything should be made of quads (polies with four vertices) or quads. It's fine to use polies with more vertices while you're working on it, but you'll want it to be able cut down to quads and tris cleanly. You'll also want it all to connect cleanly which is harder to explain but it sounds like you've encountered the issue.

Note that not everything needs to be connected. It's entirely fine to 'float' geometry on top of other geometry as long as it looks right. It's often a pretty good idea.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Is this your first 3d modeling package you're learning? If so, the interface of any of them will be daunting and make little sense until you internalize it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

HopperUK posted:

No no! You make your cities. Never mind how they compare to other cities. Just love them.

:unsmith: Thanks goonfriend, I was overstating it a bit but I do sometimes get disheartened by just how good some of this stuff is. Gotta just keep playing though, one day I'll be the one everyone envies!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Mister Adequate posted:

:unsmith: Thanks goonfriend, I was overstating it a bit but I do sometimes get disheartened by just how good some of this stuff is. Gotta just keep playing though, one day I'll be the one everyone envies!

You just take the ideas run it along with your own.

example, It was absolutely awesome for me when I made the transition of fixed 90 degree angle roads to making curved custom roads and I felt like a goddamn painter who had a revelation. It was all due to seeing some crazy awesome city somebody put a picture of here.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

mutata posted:

Is this your first 3d modeling package you're learning? If so, the interface of any of them will be daunting and make little sense until you internalize it.

yeah first time really. The cad software I use for architecture seems super intuitive but it's designed for drawing buildings in mostly 2d and that's what I'm doing with it. 3d programs are so multi-functional it's hard to narrow down what buttons you actually need to know. So often in the tutorials call for doing quite common poo poo and it's like "ok to do this super basic thing you need to click 9 clicks into this obscure list of menus, or use the handy hotkey ctrl alt shift c then hold left shift for 3 seconds which will put you in the right mode to then hold left control then tab while slowly turning your mouse wheel" all to do some extremely basic thing, meanwhile animation controls and obscure poo poo I'll never touch are front and centre in the interface.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So here's the city I've been working on between trying to figure out blender.
I wanted something with rivers and hills. Never really done a lot of river work, was fun making the map with a big river that split off into smaller and smaller ones. So long as you balance the water loads it turns out fine.

Even small hills and slopes adds interest

Directors trademark: extremely crowded tram running through main square in front of city hall

This huge hungarian monument looks nice

Rivers

Newer Part of city with a rational scientific grid and green space for a rational and healthy city

Old town square by the river

Looking in to the city from the suburbs

Wavy streets and colourful roofs of old town

Map so far

It's also at over 100k people and I have a single tram line and an underused start of a rail line that will more be geared towards serving the outer suburbs. No highways, no traffic problems. Just a few "national roads" and roundabouts.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Whoa that looks hella realistic.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

This game can be kinda depressing at times. Also the Punisher is about to appear in my city.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

socialsecurity posted:

This game can be kinda depressing at times. Also the Punisher is about to appear in my city.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jNOvfuybPao

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was about to throw my keyboard out the window due to blender's horrible keyboard shortcut intensive interface but I finally figured out how to actually put a texture on an object. It's not as simple as just applying a texture and an unwrap, you have to set up a material and do a bunch of node stuff because the program isn't quite smart enough to figure out that if you put a texture on an object you actually want to see it and it should maybe render in some fashion.

It's uh, it's a start.

Holy poo poo I made a cube, exported its unwrap, made an amazing photo-realistic texture, and got it back into blender. Then I duplicated the cube and joined it to the previous cube and the UV mapping didn't even gently caress up. I then adjusted each face individually! I'm UNSTOPPABLE.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 20, 2016

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, that's not just a Blender thing. Once you learn it you never have to learn it again though!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
So I'm getting "can't place any more objects of this type" with roads and railroads.

Problem is, I played this morning @ 7am and I was fine building more roads, but then at 7pm when I reload the game I'm getting that message.

I tried deleting 1/4 of the city and I'm still getting that message. My city isn't that big to begin with. I also tried deleting a bunch of assets I'm subscribed to, thinking that could affect it, but nope.

Help.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
i have finally been struck by a mod breaking; rush hour decided that time should stop even when the simulator was running. after some fiddling i disabled it completely and my city has paid dearly. first thing that happened was industrial demand skyrocketed while residential was completely eliminated. then commercial started demanding for goods to sell and massive waves of abandonment begin, and the population of the city has collapsed by 10k so far. it seems that the way rush hour affects demand, combined with the fact that there are only traffic jams twice a day so the delivery vehicles can get through all the time has masked massive congestion problems. the mod creator said he had fixed it but i'm not sure if i want to go back really. i might end up reenabling it but without the modified demand. but obviously i realise now that i'm going to have to do some serious traffic planning regardless.

previously when i had 'not enough goods to sell' problem i ran a massive underpass under the city centre, and put a motorway ring around the rest of the city and moved most industrial outside it. almost everywhere inside the motorway had heavy traffic ban and i did blanket coverage of public transport. i had kind of forgotten about this strategy so it seems a good time to revive it because it worked wonders before.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 20, 2016

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Metrication posted:

i have finally been struck by a mod breaking; rush hour decided that time should stop even when the simulator was running. after some fiddling i disabled it completely and my city has paid dearly. first thing that happened was industrial demand skyrocketed while residential was completely eliminated. then commercial started demanding for goods to sell and massive waves of abandonment begin, and the population of the city has collapsed by 10k so far. it seems that the way rush hour affects demand, combined with the fact that there are only traffic jams twice a day so the delivery vehicles can get through all the time has masked massive congestion problems. the mod creator said he had fixed it but i'm not sure if i want to go back really. i might end up reenabling it but without the modified demand. but obviously i realise now that i'm going to have to do some serious traffic planning regardless.

Do you have the demand master mod?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Thin Privilege posted:

Do you have the demand master mod?

nah rush hour has its own demand modification. not sure if it is turned on by default but if i reenable it i am probably turning it off.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Metrication posted:

nah rush hour has its own demand modification. not sure if it is turned on by default but if i reenable it i am probably turning it off.

Oh I didn't know that. Installing RH broke my game massively so I've been too scared to use it :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So last night I started my first "serious" project.  I'm trying to make an urban wall to wall highschool, something that won't look out of place in a dense neighbourhood. It's 56x56m so that's exactly 7x7 tiles, will be quite a big footprint.

I think in terms of geometry it will be pretty ok.  Maybe I need more detail, I'm not sure, but I'd prefer to keep a lot of the detail just in the texture work.
Here is the prototype I'm more or less basing it off

I guess the next step is figuring out textures. I don't know if I'm supposed to try to take a screen shot from google street view an edit out the google watermarks and try to make a texture from that or what. It doesn't really have to be exact, just similar.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 20, 2016

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is there a way to get a road to 'snap' to a quay?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

gently caress. Me. My laptop's graphic card is too old to load all the props in custom assets. I am now researching buying a new laptop because of this stupid game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Reason posted:

is there a way to get a road to 'snap' to a quay?

They snap, but like a tile and a half behind the quay for some reason. I find it easier to lay the roads first, then lay the quays after with snap off just eyeballing them to line up nice.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I want to be Ofaloaf and Baronjutter when I grow up.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

No you don't because I'm garbage in gimp and don't know how to texture...

It's uh... sort of coming along. Hopefully someone can improve my texture. I actually couldn't figure out any guides in gimp so I drew the texture in vectorworks as a building plan elevation then exported as a png then brought into gimp to colour. The most shameful workflow.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I do poo poo in vector before importing to photoshop and eventually to engine all the time. No one cares about work flow except other artists. Just do what works. :)

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I just got a curved 40" 4K monitor and surprisingly Skylines runs fine at medium-high setting on my (single) R9 290.

But when the game is running, it makes the room incredibly hot, to the point of making me sweat unless I turn on the AC for the whole house. My 290 isn't even overclocked, and the heat doesn't seem to happen as much with other games like BF4.

Anyone else noticed this?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

sincx posted:

I just got a curved 40" 4K monitor and surprisingly Skylines runs fine at medium-high setting on my (single) R9 290.

But when the game is running, it makes the room incredibly hot, to the point of making me sweat unless I turn on the AC for the whole house. My 290 isn't even overclocked, and the heat doesn't seem to happen as much with other games like BF4.

nice meltdown

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

sincx posted:

Skylines is one of a small handful of games that pegs every single CPU core at full throttle making it a rare case where you might actually notice CPU heat.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

zedprime posted:

Skylines is one of a small handful of games that pegs every single CPU core at full throttle making it a rare case where you might actually notice CPU heat.

Yeah my wife always knows I'm playing skylines because my computer gets really loud as the fan goes on maximum the whole time. It used to only get loud when I was running at fast speed. I could actually throttle my fan by adjusting the game speed and the fan would almost immediately get louder or quieter, but now it's just on max all the time any time skylines is running.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Baronjutter posted:

No you don't because I'm garbage in gimp and don't know how to texture...

Meant your citybuilding, though at this point you know more about creating assets than I do.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I'm pretty sure I can't play this game until fall. My computer is in the loft in my townhouse which is three stories above the AC blower, so barely any air comes out up there. Combine that with my new case that uses quiet fans with lower airflow and I'm pretty sure I'd go into thermal throttling and heat stroke. I need to get a new CPU heatsink, because I'm still just using stock Intel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Mr. Powers posted:

I'm pretty sure I can't play this game until fall. My computer is in the loft in my townhouse which is three stories above the AC blower, so barely any air comes out up there. Combine that with my new case that uses quiet fans with lower airflow and I'm pretty sure I'd go into thermal throttling and heat stroke. I need to get a new CPU heatsink, because I'm still just using stock Intel.

Maybe up the max case fan speed in your BIOS?