Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lizard tits game http://store.steampowered.com/app/463110/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
...Why?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Do you like, or at least, are able to tolerate:
Lizard girls?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

They're nothing if not consistent about their scaly fetish.

e. this is the youtube channel they link to on their business website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b7iDLNkFkA

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Guy Mann posted:

e. this is the youtube channel they link to on their business website.

:catstare: WOW am i glad i opened that in incognito mode

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is that supposed to be some kind of dinosaur?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Reptiles don't have hooves.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Nitrocat posted:

Humbly exclude Overwatch -- game is TF2 wrapped up in Borderlands

Haha what

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

Reptiles don't have hooves.
Or, y'know, mammaries.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Nitrocat posted:

I've been really wanting to get into a good MMO for a while. It's been hard to get into a community where I can just sorta' meet other gamers. My friend circle has long since grown out and focused on other poo poo other than games, so community has been a thing I've been looking for.

Anyone got any game suggestions, or any communities they've found on Steam that are active?

(Humbly exclude Overwatch -- game is TF2 wrapped up in Borderlands, and I've long since outgrown the game franchises).

Guild Wars 2 will probably suit your needs, and there isn't a monthly cost. I assume there are a ton of goons still playing.

Also lol regarding your Overwatch description. The only thing it has in common with Borderlands is that you can shoot guns in both. It's worth a shot - I have really enjoyed playing with goons for the last month and chatting via in-game voice/text.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Nitrocat posted:

(Humbly exclude Overwatch -- game is TF2 wrapped up in Borderlands, and I've long since outgrown the game franchises).

Overwatch has absolutely nothing in common with Borderlands, aside from being first person and having guns in it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Maybe he's confusing it with Battleborn?

Also, neither are MMOs.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tell me about Dreamfall Chapters. I've heard about The Longest Journey through most of my gaming life, but never played any of the games. Now that the series is over, what do people think about the latest game and its five books?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

anime.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ZearothK posted:

Tell me about Dreamfall Chapters. I've heard about The Longest Journey through most of my gaming life, but never played any of the games. Now that the series is over, what do people think about the latest game and its five books?

Hi, hello, I haven't played Chapters yet but the reception of the last ones has been positive from what I've seen. Fair warning, though, it really is the longest journey. You'll have to play TLJ and Dreamfall before you embark into Chapters.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Hi, hello, I haven't played Chapters yet but the reception of the last ones has been positive from what I've seen. Fair warning, though, it really is the longest journey. You'll have to play TLJ and Dreamfall before you embark into Chapters.

Also, a fair bit of warning before you try playing TLJ... it does not play nicely with modern systems. It will crash on the first cutscene. It will crash on the second, after you spend several hours getting the game to let you past the first. This will continue to be an issue for the rest of the game.

The game and story itself are really great, but I'm rapidly reaching a point in my TLJ playthrough that I'm just going to stop, read a plot synopsis, and move on to Dreamfall because it just does not want to let me play it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Are you playing the Steam or GOG's version of TLJ? Also, Windows 10?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Are you playing the Steam or GOG's version of TLJ? Also, Windows 10?

Win 7, GoG. I guess it supposedly works fine for many people with my set up, but not for others.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, that should have been fine. It's weird you are running into those problems.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I still need to get through Episodes 4 and 5 of Chapters, buts TLJ and Dreamfall are fantastic games. Get them in the GOG sale right now or the Summer sale.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Windows 7 is like, god-like at running old games though so :shrug:
It's the biggest reason why I don't want to upgrade to 10 (and I'm too lazy to dual-boot).

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I want to play Mordor: Depths of Dejenol again but it's 16-bit and I don't wanna emulate an old system because I'm lazy.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

ZearothK posted:

i've only played the first book of chapters but i played through all of the longest journey and dreamfall: the longest journey but they're some of my absolute favorite stories in games and they're really, really good. im replaying book 1 right now so i can just go through all of it at once and it's as good as i remember.

RickVoid posted:

Win 7, GoG. I guess it supposedly works fine for many people with my set up, but not for others.

yeah, i played through the TLJ on W7 so i have no idea why you're having issues with it

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Accordion Man posted:

I still need to get through Episodes 4 and 5 of Chapters, buts TLJ and Dreamfall are fantastic games. Get them in the GOG sale right now or the Summer sale.
TLJ is pretty good. Dreamfall is a huge mess, in terms of storytelling and mechanics both. Watch an LP instead.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Yea, Dreamfall has a few really bad combat sections shoehorned in, but they are pretty much identical and once you've beaten one you've pretty much mastered it. And there's also a really slow but easy stealth section too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Is there any reason to not buy Shovel Knight for $10 on GOG right now? I tend to go for Steam keys for most things but GOG seems like a cool enough place

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

QuarkJets posted:

Is there any reason to not buy Shovel Knight for $10 on GOG right now? I tend to go for Steam keys for most things but GOG seems like a cool enough place

It absolutely will be part of the Steam sale thaat starts in 5 days

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

How much do you like achievements? That's about it as differences go. It will be the same price on the Steam sale.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

give bus to clothing

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Papercut posted:

It absolutely will be part of the Steam sale thaat starts in 5 days

per Isthereanydeal.com $10 is the cheat est it's been across the board, they've stated point-blank in the past that they're super resistant to putting it on sale for cheap.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Xander77 posted:

TLJ is pretty good. Dreamfall is a huge mess, in terms of storytelling and mechanics both. Watch an LP instead.
It's writing if fine, and as said while the combat and stealth are rather bad they're a small part of the game. (And you can just use a guide for the one really annoying stealth section)

The game is best experienced by playing it too. For example the part where you return to Newport would have lost a good chunk of its impact if I didn't actually play both games.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 19, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

per Isthereanydeal.com $10 is the cheat est it's been across the board, they've stated point-blank in the past that they're super resistant to putting it on sale for cheap.

Yeah I doubt it'll be any cheaper than $10 during the Steam sale, so I guess it really does depend on whether or not you care about achievements (lol).

I was really asking to find out whether there are any significant upsides/downsides to buying on one vs the other, like I heard that some of the older X-wing games are better on GOG? Or worse? One or the other. Significant version differences, that's what I want to know, but it sounds like there aren't any for Shovel Knight

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Accordion Man posted:

It's writing if fine, and as said while the combat and stealth are rather bad they're a small part of the game. (And you can just use a guide for the one really annoying stealth section)
Zoe's story is fine(ish). You may have forgotten that the game also had two other stories, both remarkably rubbish (the whole "ostensibly clashing perspectives that are actually working towards the same goal" thing really requires a better storyteller than the one Dreamfall got).

It has remarkably terrible controls in general, a small number of annoying and repetitive minigames, and is generally padded to hell and back.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Oh, haha, I forgot some of the enemies in Hard Reset were stroggified :stonklol:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I haven't forgotten about you, thread! Weekends just happen to be when I have the least free time to post about ancient precursors to the Settlers series.

1. Banished
2. StarTopia
3. Imperium Romanum Gold Edition
4. Port Royale 2
5. 1849
6. Cities in Motion
7. AdvertCity
8. Anno 2070
9. Big Pharma
10. Tropico Reloaded
11. The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom
12. SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition
13. Knights and Merchants
14. Patrician III
15. Stronghold HD
16. Children of the Nile
17. Anno 1404 / Dawn of Discovery

18. Cultures - Northland

I don't mind complexity in my games but it has to serve a purpose. In a first person shooter you wouldn't want to load a magazine bullet by bullet and release the slide every time you reload your pistol, but it works in Receiver because the whole game is built around the detailed functions of your firearm. Plenty of city-builders have complex systems like detailed citizen needs or production chains, but most pull back from having too many at once. Cultures does no such thing, piling on every possible system and consideration until you are running every facet of every resident's life. And if that somehow sounds like fun to you, well, read on.

Cultures - Northland puts you in charge of a band of plucky settlers in a cartoonish approximation of Middle Ages Europe. Each scenario in the lengthy campaign is heavily story-driven but at the heart of each you'll need to establish a thriving village and a standing army. You do this by gathering natural resources like wood and stone, using them to build workshops to refine them into more complex materials, and work your way up the enormous chain of upgrades and structures. Your settlements will sprawl like few others, with dozens of workshops ringed by a sea of dwellings and fortifications. It's quite a pleasure to watch your little folks putter along in their daily lives once you're established, moving goods and chatting with each other.

Getting established is the hard part, and it's mainly because of the depth afforded to your citizens. Every single inhabitant of your settlement is like a tiny RPG character, with meters for needs like hunger, sleep, and even socializing. They'll duck away from their duties to resolve these needs, so you'll need to keep their homes and food sources nearby. They also gain experience in the dozen plus different professions as they work, which is key to progressing because you can't staff the higher-level buildings until your workers in that profession level up as well. And if that wasn't enough, they also have equipment and inventories, along with special settings specific to their job like what kind of goods to make or which trading posts to visit.

Pressing spacebar with a citizen selected opens a menu with over a dozen different commands to issue them. Some of these aren't even necessary as the game uses context-sensitive right clicks (and in fact only issues orders with right-click, which threw me off when trying to build), while others are essential. You move your people around as you would in a proper real-time strategy game, except the pathfinding is atrocious, sending them on longcuts through dense forests instead of along the straight roads. This might be purposeful because your scouts can build signposts to mark paths, but this option is hidden among a dozen others in that tiny, cluttered spacebar menu.

The simple fact is that it will take you an inordinate amount of time and effort to do anything in Cultures, and you'll be required to do all that and more in each scenario. I haven't even touched on combat, or trading, or vehicles, or the religion system, after all. A game this deep and complex needs solid tutorials, but I could only get about half of them to even work. I did manage to extract the basics of orders, building, and combat so armed with that knowledge I started the campaign. The very first scenario has you defending a village under attack, using hero units that will earn you a game over if they die.

I don't think Cultures - Northland is a bad game necessarily, but it's not one I could ever recommend to anyone. The bewildering level of complexity formed from the crossing of so many disparate systems makes the audience for this game too tiny to even identify. It feels like a game from a completely different time, the kind you had to be there for at release and willing to devote weeks and months to playing. Well, times have changed and when I sit down to build a city or raise an army, I don't want to have to equip my people or put them down for naps. I mean, I already have two kids of my own.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Zombie Samurai posted:

I haven't forgotten about you, thread! Weekends just happen to be when I have the least free time to post about ancient precursors to the Settlers series.

Your review made me reinstall Settlers 7. You are a monster. :colbert:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah I doubt it'll be any cheaper than $10 during the Steam sale, so I guess it really does depend on whether or not you care about achievements (lol).

I was really asking to find out whether there are any significant upsides/downsides to buying on one vs the other, like I heard that some of the older X-wing games are better on GOG? Or worse? One or the other. Significant version differences, that's what I want to know, but it sounds like there aren't any for Shovel Knight

Gog is generally better at keeping old games running. If the game page says it's compatible with Win7 it generally means it works flawlessly (though you can get unlucky by some combination of hardware and software, like the guy above trying to play TLJ). Gog games usually have a lot of extras like soundtracks, too.

But Gog's browser and community functions like multiplayer are not as developed. Yet. Gog galaxy let's you easily install and auto-update games if that's all you care about.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

hot take time: i loving hate when a boss has a health bar that gets refilled 4x during a fight rather than just being 4x longer. totally renders the health bar useless as a progress meter unless you already know how many phases there are.

Kromgart
Feb 25, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

It is 3.49 for me right now (33% discount from 5.19).

Edit: Sorry, seems like regional pricing thing. When adding it as a gift, it becomes $9.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Bought Dirt Rally for cheap and now I'm looking up Mini Coopers on car-buying websites, help

• Locked thread