Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mr Snips posted:

oh man that game owned, I wonder if they could ever update it to make it work with modern computers

you could always play http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DEMISE/demise-ascension the sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I never even knew there was a sequel, but looking at that monster art it seems to have aged even worse

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
why is it $32.50

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

in two days, the king returns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYkdjNo7wEE

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Fawf posted:

It took Roundabout like a full year to get voted through Steam Greenlight so gently caress Steam Greenlight

Steam Greenlight is bad because it makes it too easy for games to make it onto Steam, and also because it doesn't make it easy enough for games to make it onto Steam.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Shima Honnou posted:

why is it $32.50
Demise is worth $32 for the sound effects alone.

I have no clue why I always get the urge to play, its demonstrably worse than nearly any other roguelike or dungeon crawler that is free or a fraction of the price. But I am reminded at least once a year that I really want to play and get sad I either lost my old Demise account or the key didn't transfer when the developer changed and they released an expansion or something rear end backwards that you would expect from someone selling Demise for $32.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Guy Mann posted:

Steam Greenlight is bad because it makes it too easy for games to make it onto Steam, and also because it doesn't make it easy enough for games to make it onto Steam.

Well, both of those things are kinda true. There are plenty of deserving games that make it and plenty of crap that doesn't make it too, though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Early Greenlight was bad because it made it really hard to get voted through - the months after Greenlight got introduced had fewer indie games released per month than when Valve was the single gatekeeper. Then Valve realized they hosed up, opened the floodgates and allowed like 50-100 games through per month, which means now even the most lovely indie game will eventually end up being greenlit.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Guy Mann posted:

I hope you read about those companies that offered getting through Greenlight for money that even some goon devs used. Apparently they were actually quite effective and allowed for those games that were in limbo always juuust behind the release waves (or which were knocked back by sudden hits that got greenlit in 2 days like Super Nintendo Nerd's game) get on Steam. The whole thing is quite hilarious.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Long live the king.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Palpek posted:

I hope you read about those companies that offered getting through Greenlight for money that even some goon devs used. Apparently they were actually quite effective and allowed for those games that were in limbo always juuust behind the release waves (or which were knocked back by sudden hits that got greenlit in 2 days like Super Nintendo Nerd's game) get on Steam. The whole thing is quite hilarious.

Yeah, there are similar services for crowdfunding sites and self-published novels and even YouTube videos too. It's sad but also completely unsurprising and funny at times.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The "Video game market crash" in the 80s was the result of too many low quality games. Valve just wants to prove (to investors?) that the new market is crash-proof by releasing copious amounts of crapware and being successful at it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's not on Steam, but GOG has Master of Magic on sale for a buck fifty right now, and this was a game that until recently I thought was all in my head since I played it once at a friend's house in the 90's and then never saw it ever again, so I thought I had dreamed it up. But it's real, and good, I've never played Civ but it seems like a Civ-like game, but fantasy? Maybe? Someone else can probably make a better comparison. It's a fun game though, you build outposts that turn into cities, capture magical nodes to power your spells, enter ruins to get loot and heroes, summon magical creatures either out of combat or as temporary ones mid-battle, etc.

Only thing I have to say is the Warlord perk is basically necessary, since it allows all units to increase from the normal max rank of Elite to Ultra-Elite, which makes some units crazy strong.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 20, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ninkobei posted:

The "Video game market crash" in the 80s was the result of too many low quality games. Valve just wants to prove (to investors?) that the new market is crash-proof by releasing copious amounts of crapware and being successful at it.
The difference is that Valve isn't a publisher like those companies in the 80's so they risk nothing, the economic dynamic is completely different. They offer a release platform and game companies are themselves responsible for the rest so the only 'bubble' that can burst here is developers realizing that releasing a game on Steam doesn't equal making big bucks but that already happened a while ago.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Ninkobei posted:

That market crash was due to a lack of widespread games media coverage where you could find out if a game was good before buying, as well as the games being a physical commodity taking up space / getting returned by angry parents in retail stores. Now if someone wants to make a garbage rear end game and sell it, the only person losing money is the person who made the game (and the suckers that buy it).

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I think some Twitch Drawful 2 will have to start immediately on release, so goons can shame me by calling my poorly drawn drums "tits on sticks".

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Indecisive posted:

That market crash was due to a lack of widespread games media coverage where you could find out if a game was good before buying, as well as the games being a physical commodity taking up space / getting returned by angry parents in retail stores. Now if someone wants to make a garbage rear end game and sell it, the only person losing money is the person who made the game (and the suckers that buy it).
Instead of a huge industry retraction due to physical good overproduction in the 80s or mounting labor cost of triple As in the 00s, now thousands of nerds in their underwear who quit their computer janitor job to make vidya games absorb all the losses so we get all the unemployment without any of the moving stock prices of public companies.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Indecisive posted:

Except they have sort of enabled steam refunds, but depending on how badly the game bombs it can also be removed from the store. So the onus is a little more on the devs than the customers in the order of chumps. Still the statistically impossible can happen and maybe enough people could move away from steam because of its increasingly lax standards that it loses market size. And I could also be a Chinese jet pilot.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Palpek posted:

The difference is that Valve isn't a publisher like those companies in the 80's so they risk nothing, the economic dynamic is completely different. They offer a release platform and game companies are themselves responsible for the rest so the only 'bubble' that can burst here is developers realizing that releasing a game on Steam doesn't equal making big bucks but that already happened a while ago.
Some developers are getting smart to Steam and put up better discounts on their own stores while putting up tiny ones on Steam. Win/win

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

You could just buy old games, too. Some have held up surprisingly well. Like this one!

1. Banished
2. StarTopia
3. Imperium Romanum Gold Edition
4. Port Royale 2
5. 1849
6. Cities in Motion
7. AdvertCity
8. Anno 2070
9. Big Pharma
10. Tropico Reloaded
11. The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom
12. SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition
13. Knights and Merchants
14. Patrician III
15. Stronghold HD
16. Children of the Nile
17. Anno 1404 / Dawn of Discovery
18. Cultures - Northland

19. Majesty Gold HD

When you complete a quest in an RPG, where does the money come from? Who is bankrolling these expeditions into dungeons and ruins to slay terrible, hidden beasts? Majesty answers that question directly: It's you, the sovereign of the land, because you are sick of these things screwing with your domain. If you've ever wanted to be the power behind the heroes, this is the title for you, despite being a little rough around the edges.

Majesty skews closest to a real-time strategy game where you're mostly hands-off on your units. As the rightful ruler of the kingdom, you order your peasants forth from the castle to construct markets, blacksmiths, inns, guilds, and temples. Your purpose in doing this is to attract heroes to join your guilds and quest for you, making use of your shops to heal and improve themselves between outings. It's like building the city from an RPG and watching the heroes go about their business, slaying monsters and saving the world, all from the comfort of your throne room.

There's one resource in the game and it's gold, which is mainly earned indirectly from your heroes. They loot gold from monsters and dungeons and then turn around and spend it in your town on aids like new weapons and healing potions. You also get a regular income from your tax collectors that's proportional to the size of your settlement, and from trading posts. All of this requires you to keep your buildings secure, of course, because the monsters roaming the land aren't going to let you go about your genocide idly.

You only have two ways to influence your heroes, and they're both by placing bounties. Placing attack bounties on monsters or dungeons offers a tempting reward to the heroes that contribute to their destruction, and exploration bounties draw your subjects out to unexplored parts of the map. The higher the bounty, the more attention your people will pay to them. Strategic use of bounties is a must as you advance, because marking the wrong dungeon can distract from more threatening targets, and monsters love to sneak into town to raid your marketplaces.

There's a lot of chaos to keep up with in each of the game's many scenarios, and you'll need to find your footing fast to conquer the more difficult ones. Monsters can be very aggressive and only certain classes may be effective against them. You also need to keep up the pressure to adventure because otherwise you'll fall behind on income and experienced heroes. Knowing what to spend your gold on when will also come into play more as you attempt more advanced scenarios and your building options expand.

The easy missions are a lot of fun to just build and recruit willy-nilly and watch your little champions do their thing. The difficulty curve ratchets up fast, though, so if you want to hang with Majesty you'll need to be paying a lot of attention. That's about my only complaint with it, really. The 2D graphics are clear and bold and hold up well in HD, and the sounds is crisp and immersive, though a bit thin on effects. It's a little more managing chaos than a proper kingdom, but I can't deny the fun in watching it all unfold.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Majesty is amazing with its braindead AI constantly trolling you. Just put up a bunch of money on something and your soldiers will eventually get to it or die from avoiding the bounty-less monsters killing them. It even has death by screaming.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Captain Invictus posted:

It's not on Steam, but GOG has Master of Magic on sale for a buck fifty right now, and this was a game that until recently I thought was all in my head since I played it once at a friend's house in the 90's and then never saw it ever again, so I thought I had dreamed it up. But it's real, and good, I've never played Civ but it seems like a Civ-like game, but fantasy? Maybe? Someone else can probably make a better comparison. It's a fun game though, you build outposts that turn into cities, capture magical nodes to power your spells, enter ruins to get loot and heroes, summon magical creatures either out of combat or as temporary ones mid-battle, etc.

Only thing I have to say is the Warlord perk is basically necessary, since it allows all units to increase from the normal max rank of Elite to Ultra-Elite, which makes some units crazy strong.

MoM was a pretty great game I sunk a lot of time into back in the day. Not sure how it still holds up but do that price it's definitely worth finding out.

I was a big fan of the elven archers because they could wreck poo poo at range, but going dark elf and starting in the other world had its benefits too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm currently playing on hard and draconian magicians are pretty absurd.

I've not really looked into the pdf much besides basic controls and city stuff(took me a while to find out you can move between planes via towers) but it's definitely a product of its time, a lot of info isn't really floated to you ingame, like racial perks and such. But it's still good once you get the hang of it. One of my opponents is a sorcery/death warlord, so not only does he spam counter/disenchant magic, life drains, has legions of ultra-elites, it's a hell of a time. He killed one of the opponents in about 5 turns, before I even saw them.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ragequit posted:

Yeah, I think some Twitch Drawful 2 will have to start immediately on release, so goons can shame me by calling my poorly drawn drums "tits on sticks".

:agreed:

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

I remember that one! There were some amazing drawings during our Something Drawful nights.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

zedprime posted:

How do you even play SimEarth, I remember it all going over my 8 year old head and just using a cheat to spam monoliths until a species was leaving the planet on rockets every other year.
First you read the 80+ page ring-bound manual.

That I still have.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm currently playing on hard and draconian magicians are pretty absurd.

I've not really looked into the pdf much besides basic controls and city stuff(took me a while to find out you can move between planes via towers) but it's definitely a product of its time, a lot of info isn't really floated to you ingame, like racial perks and such. But it's still good once you get the hang of it. One of my opponents is a sorcery/death warlord, so not only does he spam counter/disenchant magic, life drains, has legions of ultra-elites, it's a hell of a time. He killed one of the opponents in about 5 turns, before I even saw them.

Oh man Master of Magic is awesome. The only point I disagree with you on is that the Warlord perk isn't necessary, because one of the cool things about Master of Magic is that EVERYTHING is broken if you use it right. Have you combined Warlord with the Life magic city enchant that makes every unit trained out of the enchanted city be max level right from day one? Or try majoring in Sorcery and crush everyone with invisible flying wizards. Or play high men with death magic and summon legions of atrocities powered by Dark Rituals doubling the mana income of their cathedrals.

etc etc etc.

Master of Magic is great.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The best perk is Enchanter. Whole armies of superheroes armed with city levelling weapons and artifacts is hilarious

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm still learning, only played a few rounds, but it's definitely variable it seems. Last playthrough though, ultra elite halfling slingers completely annihilated anything they went up against. I do kinda wish they'd put stuff like this on steam too, just to get good old games like it more exposure.

For a buck fifty though, it's 100% worth it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

There is literally no downside to more games being on steam.

XBLIG shows why this is a bad idea

You need some form of curation, or there's going to be so much trash and ripoff games trying to make a quick buck that the actual games with effort and care are lost.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

how do i get better at gwent?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Mzbundifund posted:

Oh man Master of Magic is awesome. The only point I disagree with you on is that the Warlord perk isn't necessary, because one of the cool things about Master of Magic is that EVERYTHING is broken if you use it right. Have you combined Warlord with the Life magic city enchant that makes every unit trained out of the enchanted city be max level right from day one? Or try majoring in Sorcery and crush everyone with invisible flying wizards. Or play high men with death magic and summon legions of atrocities powered by Dark Rituals doubling the mana income of their cathedrals.

etc etc etc.

Master of Magic is great.

The only broken thing I remember was choosing the Myrran racial perk to start on the mirror world and also choosing the dragon guy's portrait. If I remember right, he's the only one that will ever start on the mirror world, so if you do this you get the mirror world to yourself until the other players get around to going there. Only downside is this doesn't stop anybody from casting the spell of mastery to win the game, so you have to watch out for that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The spell of mastery is the single major complaint I have with this game. Having an I Win button instead of earning it through grit and determination is boring, and having to research it and cast it so someone else doesn't before me sucks. I wish I could disable it.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

a7m2 posted:

Undergo the trial of the grasses

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Captain Invictus posted:

The spell of mastery is the single major complaint I have with this game. Having an I Win button instead of earning it through grit and determination is boring, and having to research it and cast it so someone else doesn't before me sucks. I wish I could disable it.

If it makes you feel better, I've never seen the AI successfully cast the Spell of Mastery. If you really want to be safe, play as a sorcery guy and you can cancel other people's spellcasting with Spell Blast.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

a7m2 posted:

The most important thing is to realize that you need to win only 2 rounds out of 3 in a game so the idea is to know which round to forfeit. The most common mistake people do at first is that they bleed all their cards in the first round - you have to know when to press 'pass'. Not too early and not too late - basically your main goal is to lure your opponent into playing more of his/her cards than you. That's why decoys, medics, spies are all so valuable because all they do is give you a card number advantage over your opponent which is way more valuable than attack power. Also keep your deck at minimum size to get exactly the cards that you want to get during a draw. It's also good to know which weather cards to use at first - always pack frost against monster decks and fog against scoia'tael.

Other than that though it will be hard at first no matter what as you miss a lot of cards that your opponents have so when you get enough money you need to visit every pub/merchant possible and buy cards from them if they have any in stock.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Mr Snips posted:

oh man that game owned, I wonder if they could ever update it to make it work with modern computers

That would make an excellent project - if I could code worth a drat.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

a7m2 posted:

Run around to the towns and buy up cards. To start off you want the guys that boost themselves based on how many of themselves have been played. Blue Commandoes are the common one I think.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

a7m2 posted:

Always pack a few cards that let you draw a card from your discard pile or withdraw an already played card. That lets you play a high power card early and be able to get it back in a later round or keep a good card if you're going to lose a round. That said if you're still early on in the game itself it'll still be hard until you simply get more cards because opponents will be pulling 10 power hero cards out of their rear end every round while you're still stuck with the basics. As well, unless you're in a tournament (which are all clearly marked) losing a game doesn't mean anything except your bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The super win button in MoM is halfling slingers and life magic, but missle combat is way overpowered regardless

• Locked thread