Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

EnergizerFellow posted:

You also have a huge chunk of remote workers fleeing from Phoenix to Denver, from what I've seen. Phoenix has turned into a sizable IT/Dev/DevOps hub for financial service companies like PayPal, Amex, Wells Fargo, AAA Insurance, Intuit, BoA, VISA, Fidelity, etc, plus the likes of Boeing and Intel, yet people are getting out because of brutal heat (105+ for 6+ months with regular 115+ peaks), sun so brutal it literally hurts, and rapidly progressing pollution that may soon rival LA in the 70s, according to the EPA.

Don't forget the horrific racism and general right-wing jackassery in Arizona, I'm pretty sure that drives out plenty of people too.

My parents keep asking if we'll visit while they winter there, I've had to put my foot down and tell them we will never visit them in Arizona, since my (brown) wife and I aren't going to a state where she runs a substantial risk of being literally hassled for her papers by cops, despite her ancestors having lived here for a few thousand years before the average racist Arizona cops' ancestors did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

e_angst posted:

We have it crazy, but one thing that is to our advantage is that the city council is actively working to try and make the city more dense and encourage development.

Too bad Austin will never see good mass transit, because of racism.

Also too bad Austin is still in Texas instead of a reasonable state.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm That Guy on a bike on 620 btw

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

eschaton posted:

Don't forget the horrific racism and general right-wing jackassery in Arizona, I'm pretty sure that drives out plenty of people too.

My parents keep asking if we'll visit while they winter there, I've had to put my foot down and tell them we will never visit them in Arizona, since my (brown) wife and I aren't going to a state where she runs a substantial risk of being literally hassled for her papers by cops, despite her ancestors having lived here for a few thousand years before the average racist Arizona cops' ancestors did.

I was trying to be mildly polite, but you're very right, sadly. The fact that Joe Arpaio has been in power for as long as he has and shows every sign of dying in office of old age say everything that you need to know.

Speaking of lovely Phoenix and problems like all-cash home buyers in SF, NYC, Seattle, etc buying up seemingly everything:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/01/blackstone-rental-homes-bundled-derivatives

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There is some really bubbly behavior going on but considering how important technology is to literally everything the human race does nowadays who knows if it'll ever burst. Even so it's a crazy situation that needs a fix sooner rather than later but you have a poo poo load of property owners going "gently caress you got mine."
Genuine question: what does a 'never bursting' scenario look like? Are there examples of similar situations that have somehow transitioned into stability?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

cheese posted:

A friend's boomer parents are in this situation. ~1.5m Mountain View house they bought in the 80's for a fraction, but what are they gonna do if they sell? All 3 of their kids live in the Bay Area (SJ, Pleasanton and Daly City) and are either recently married or engaged, and they have lifelong friends nearby. They could sell and buy 40 arces and a McMansion in Missouri, but why? So they can start their lives over and be 1500 miles from their impending grandchildren?

We forget about the human element all too often when it discussions of housing. "Sell your overpriced Bay Area house and move 1k miles away from everyone you know and love" is something an accountant might suggest, but its not what a lot of people want to do.

Why does it have to be Missouri? Why not Grass Valley or Petaluma or Kelseyville?

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
Hey now, Kansas City is great. I wouldn't have minded moving back there, except your options for tech work are pretty much Garmin, Sprint, and a few mid-sized corporate focused software dev places. Also google fiber in most of the citt

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TACD posted:

Genuine question: what does a 'never bursting' scenario look like?

Every unicorn somehow turns a profit at current market shares.

TACD posted:

Are there examples of similar situations that have somehow transitioned into stability?

Never.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Regression to the mean is a real thing, y'all

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
That also kind of depends on what you mean by "stable." Technically speaking absolutely nothing is stable.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In the long run political collapse tends to follow periods of sustained growth of inequality. But in the long run we're all dead. :shrug:

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
This is a helpful addendum to the H1B and Glassdoor salary chat because it includes equity and bonuses for big companies:
https://blog.step.com/2016/06/16/more-salaries-twitter-linkedin/

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Analytic Engine posted:

This is a helpful addendum to the H1B and Glassdoor salary chat because it includes equity and bonuses for big companies:
https://blog.step.com/2016/06/16/more-salaries-twitter-linkedin/

There are some clear data quality issues there. Senior SWEs at Microsoft don't get that little base pay, and E5s at FB don't get that little equity, for two.

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

EnergizerFellow posted:

Speaking of lovely Phoenix and problems like all-cash home buyers in SF, NYC, Seattle, etc buying up seemingly everything:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/01/blackstone-rental-homes-bundled-derivatives
To quote a dude from the article

quote:

"You kind of just hope they know what they're doing," he says.
If that's not the understatement of the year. I'm sure people who bought houses before 2007 hoped that the investors knew what they were doing with their money back then too, and yet... You rarely get to ask the question, "What if we try to do the exact same thing that crashed the world economy a decade ago... How bad could it be?"

I recently spent like two hours arguing with a friend over a couple of lunches that the housing market, even in shitball Cleveland, Ohio, just seems so artificially inflated and that this whole concept of housing as an investment doesn't really make any sense to me. It's good to know reading through these past few pages I may not have been completely crazy.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
another housing crisis? Well, I really shouldn't, but...what the hell!

Prof. Moriarty
Dec 6, 2003
Not the regular Professor Moriarty, the hologram Professor Moriarty where the holodeck malfunctioned and he created the whole fake hologram enterprise and fooled the Captain. Oh, and he tried to escape with his girlfriend once, but he was foiled.
New York Senate passes bill that bans short-term apartment listings on Airbnb

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's a downright bizarre thing to think about because entire vast swathes of America are just plain abandoned right now. The area I'm originally from is just awash with abandoned buildings and cheap housing; an enterprising software company could probably just buy up entire drat city blocks on the cheap and fill them with programmers.
How exactly are they gonna do that? Programmers keep going to major tech hubs in spite of dumb CoL for a reason: better and more opportunities (and also they're usually major cities with stuff going on). Sure there's cheaper places around, but they're cheap for a reason.

Like even if hypothetical tech company presented some good jobs, do I really want to move to an area and potentially settle down where there aren't a bunch of similar jobs in case this one goes south for me?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
In tech, especially and above all programming, you get a raise by switching jobs, so moving somewhere with only one company around will make things more difficult a year or two later when you're looking to switch.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I've got admit that I didn't anticipate that Airbnb was to follow Uber into legislative oblivion quite this quickly.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

I've got admit that I didn't anticipate that Airbnb was to follow Uber into legislative oblivion quite this quickly.

Have you not been paying attention? This was pretty much guaranteed from the moment AirBnB decided they didn't want to play ball with city and state legislatures, and pulled poo poo like trying to comply in letter but not spirit with court orders.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Cicero posted:

Like even if hypothetical tech company presented some good jobs, do I really want to move to an area and potentially settle down where there aren't a bunch of similar jobs in case this one goes south for me?

Exactly why employers in nowheresville need to pay more, not less, despite their bullshit beliefs about cost of living.

Supply and demand, motherfuckers. It's not just for capital.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

MiddleOne posted:

The difference is that AirBnB was just supposed to facilitate gray market rental on an individual scale where nobody cared, but instead it has created a whole new class of rentiers. Even from the most cynical perspective you can predict they're screwed because capitalists are gonna be a lot angrier about firms disrupting real property than they will be about firms disrupting labor.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

There was a similar situation in Toronto to AirBnB about a decade ago. Developers sold (new) condos which could be put into a building hotel pool for daily rentals and people could make mad :10bux:.

The real catch was those condos would be sold as residential properties (and taxed at residential rates: ~1%), as regular hotel rooms got nailed at commercial rates (~4%).

The hotel owners basically told the government that "this will stop, or overnight we're going to convert every hotel building we own into residential condos that we own" in order to save millions in tax payments.

The resolution was any unit that had rented in the past got reassessed as a commercial property forever more. Also, the only assessment for property value was as a residential property (ie: much higher per sq ft), so the tax bill was massive for the individual owners.

Units dropped in value like 80% overnight.

*- http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/toronto-1-king-west-hotel-and-residence-176m-51s-stinson-stanford-downey.637/

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

MiddleOne posted:

Its one thing to disrupt pizza delivery guys with DoorDash or even taxi drivers with Uber, but when you start messing with Hotel conglomerates and the modern landed gentry with their tens of thousands of units of rental apartments, you are playing with fire. If Airbnb had been more willing to make backroom deals to get a cut of that pie, they would be in great shape. Instead they basically said "gently caress you, we do what we want and the pie is ours now you Dinosaurs".

ShadowHawk posted:

People emigrating from the state and putting housing inventory on the market will help lower prices, yes. A generation ago when it happened in cities we called it "white flight" and housing prices fell through the floor, allowing poor people to move in.

Supply and demand are real things in the housing market.
People cashing out on their million dollar bay area homes is not White Flight, and the differences between now (specifically in the bay area) and Detroit in the 60s/70s should be very clear. The two are not comparable. I'm not convinced that anything short of a sustained and mass exodus would do anything to lower housing prices in the bay area to a degree that would have a real impact on non tech workers. Housing prices could drop 25% in Cupertino or Mountain View and a family led by a teacher and plumber still wouldn't be able to buy.

Maoist Pussy posted:

Why does it have to be Missouri? Why not Grass Valley or Petaluma or Kelseyville?
It could be all of those, but each of those is no longer in the community.

cheese fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 20, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ShadowHawk posted:

People emigrating from the state and putting housing inventory on the market will help lower prices, yes. A generation ago when it happened in cities we called it "white flight" and housing prices fell through the floor, allowing poor people to move in.

Supply and demand are real things in the housing market.

you can't really compare white flight to anything currently happening in the housing market. prices didn't fall because white people started moving out, prices fell and white people started moving out because black people started moving in. there was a massive financial penalty to owning a house in a 'black neighborhood' such that even reasonably unracist white homeowners would respond to this market pressure by selling, which was exploited by real estate agents who would sell a black family a house in a white neighborhood then go around telling all the whites and offering to buy their homes before the price fell further - also known as blockbusting. we really don't have that same level of racial panic anymore (except with school districts)

also at the time there was an enormous boom in cheap housing that sustained itself in many places for decades until recently when we hit an upper limit on suburbanization - not available land but really you can only cram so many people onto major arterials such as interstates and the marginal cost of adding more road capacity is unsustainable. plus that and the rapid development of far flung suburbs lead to political fragmentation that precludes regional development of transit in the same manner as roadways and blah blah blah blah

anyway its complicated

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 20, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

A Man With A Plan posted:

Hey now, Kansas City is great. I wouldn't have minded moving back there, except your options for tech work are pretty much Garmin, Sprint, and a few mid-sized corporate focused software dev places. Also google fiber in most of the citt

Go for Iowa instead. Google's out in Council Bluffs, and Facebook and Microsoft both have big datacenters in Des Moines. Wells Fargo, Wellmark Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and John Deere hire a lot of IT folks as well.

We're a lot less lovely than backwoods Missouri too, despite having the longest serving governor in the country (who's a Repub).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Liquid Communism posted:

Go for Iowa instead. Google's out in Council Bluffs, and Facebook and Microsoft both have big datacenters in Des Moines.
Data center != Dev Office

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

All right, Fortune 500 enterprise IT, truly state of the art!

Only the best .NET devs need apply.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

eschaton posted:

Remember at the start of the thread when someone said the North Carolina was a great place for people to live because the cities are progressively.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

sbaldrick posted:

Remember at the start of the thread when someone said the North Carolina was a great place for people to live because the cities are progressively.

I think the often-stated idea that you have to live in NY/SF/LA to be able to have a 'peaceful Republican-free existence' is totally stupid. A lot of other major metropolitan areas in the US are great places for progressive-minded people to live and many don't cost an arm and a leg to live there.

Sure, if you live in the other cities, you might not be able to participate in the cultural avant-garde, but could you really claim yourself as a member of the avant-garde if you post on this website?

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 21, 2016

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Yeah, so Detroit, Atlanta, Raleigh (and the research triangle), etc. are incredibly progressive islands in the middle of very red states. If you're looking for liberal culture, you'll do way better in Atlanta than in western Pa.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Liquid Communism posted:

Go for Iowa instead. Google's out in Council Bluffs, and Facebook and Microsoft both have big datacenters in Des Moines. Wells Fargo, Wellmark Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and John Deere hire a lot of IT folks as well.

We're a lot less lovely than backwoods Missouri too, despite having the longest serving governor in the country (who's a Repub).

I claim KC as part of Kansas due to backwoods Missouri shittiness. But yeah Des Moines seems nice. However in a perfect example of what the thread is talking about, I live in DC because I do government contracting and that's where the positions are. Though I think there's a better reason for government jobs to be focused around DC than for all new tech companies to try to be in SV. Government tech work is its own huge nexus of shittiness though that we don't need to go into.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Years ago I moved out to Overland Park for work and lasted three months. Couldn't do it. Back in Austin.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

silence_kit posted:

I think the often-stated idea that you have to live in NY/SF/LA to be able to have a 'peaceful Republican-free existence' is totally stupid. A lot of other major metropolitan areas in the US are great places for progressive-minded people to live and many don't cost an arm and a leg to live there.

Sure, if you live in the other cities, you might not be able to participate the cultural avant-garde, but could you really claim yourself as a member of the avant-garde if you post on this website?

a cool and reasonable response to gay/trans/brown people saying "I'd rather not be in a state that actively denies me civil rights/is cool with me getting murdered"

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Coolness Averted posted:

a cool and reasonable response to gay/trans/brown people saying "I'd rather not be in a state that actively denies me civil rights/is cool with me getting murdered"

Yes, it is a reasonable response. You are incredibly delusional and probably form your warped view of the world from spending too much time in the many "complain about Republicans" D&D threads if you think that the entire US outside of the Castro or whatever is one giant Klan rally.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 21, 2016

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

There are more and more studies coming out that indicate that a very significant amount of Airbnb revenue comes from pure commercial operators renting out suites they don't live in, and cities seem pretty interested in shutting that down. For cities such as Vancouver which are experiencing an extremely low vacancy rate, I can definitely imagine a big crackdown. Hard to say how effective that will be though.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Coolness Averted posted:

yeah i guess all those LGBT people who choose to live in red states must just be dumb as hell then because they dont behave like you think they should

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

silence_kit posted:

Sure, if you live in the other cities, you might not be able to participate in the cultural avant-garde, but could you really claim yourself as a member of the avant-garde if you post on this website?

The last time someone in this thread (or maybe a predecessor) made the argument you're making it was about North Carolina, and how stupid people were for not moving there. The next day they passed the anti-trans bathroom bill.

gently caress your cultural avant-garde. I don't want to live in a blue city subject to the whims of the religious state government when they decide people like me are the next target after they lost the same sex marriage fight. You should move though. That kind of nonsense clearly doesn't affect you and I could do with slightly lower rents and one less straight person who is progressive as a hobby.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

silence_kit posted:

Yes, it is a reasonable response. You are incredibly delusional and probably form your warped view of the world from spending too much time in the many "complain about Republicans" D&D threads if you think that the entire US outside of the Castro or whatever is one giant Klan rally.

A good chunk of it is allowed to be one giant Klan rally, even if it actively isn't at any particular moment.

Living victims of the Orlando nightclub attack could lose their jobs and their apartments as a result of being outed. Doctors are even allowed to refuse to treat them.

It's not reasonable to say "I'm sure you'll be fine, it's not like it's a giant Klan rally" when that's the reality some people actually have to loving face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yeah i guess all those LGBT people who choose to live in red states must just be dumb as hell then because they dont behave like you think they should

There are plenty of reasons to live or not live anywhere, friend. It's not cool to reduce people's motivations to "must be dumb" or "have no concept of the world and just wanna be trendy."

DeadlyMuffin posted:

The last time someone in this thread (or maybe a predecessor) made the argument you're making it was about North Carolina, and how stupid people were for not moving there. The next day they passed the anti-trans bathroom bill.

gently caress your cultural avant-garde. I don't want to live in a blue city subject to the whims of the religious state government when they decide people like me are the next target after they lost the same sex marriage fight. You should move though. That kind of nonsense clearly doesn't affect you and I could do with slightly lower rents and one less straight person who is progressive as a hobby.

No it was this thread, and the same silly arguments were brought out complete with meta ":smug: perhaps it is you who is the TRUE bigot :smug:" by some of the same people.