Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mister Adequate posted:

Junkrat has two different waves, one normal, one when his left hand is holding his remote detonator. Game's loving polished.

To a mirror finish. It's just gorgeous to look at, not even getting into how much fun it plays.

Kinda related: I've played around a hundred Overwatch matches and only once have I been with lovely, mouthy kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Mister Adequate posted:

Junkrat has two different waves, one normal, one when his left hand is holding his remote detonator. Game's loving polished.

Related: every character has fairly detailed facial animations, despite every match being chaotic messes with no real opportunity to stare at other player's faces.

There are also facial animations for characters who wear helmets because all of them have helmetless skins but still dang

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've noticed mei's expressions the most because things tend to slow down around her, I love that look of terror as she sees STRONG RUSSIAN WOMAN bearing down

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

1stGear posted:

Related: every character has fairly detailed facial animations, despite every match being chaotic messes with no real opportunity to stare at other player's faces.

There are also facial animations for characters who wear helmets because all of them have helmetless skins but still dang

Roadhog has yet to share his hideous mug but I bet it'll be great to have that done already.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Mei's one of the few characters whose face you will actually see, cause she'll freeze you solid then take a second to charge up her point-blank murder. (One of the fanons is that she's a crazed war criminal because she takes WAY too much joy in that).

Goddamn insane the things I didn't even know about, like the Bastion one that Exit Strategy mentioned.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Inzombiac posted:

Roadhog has yet to share his hideous mug but I bet it'll be great to have that done already.

I still say he's chiseled and handsome under there. Like a fat John Stamos.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

If it's so polished then why does Reapers reload animation show differently for him and other players? In first person he chucks his guns in front of him, but other players see him chuck them behind him. My immersion!

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Inzombiac posted:

Kinda related: I've played around a hundred Overwatch matches and only once have I been with lovely, mouthy kids.

I main Bastion, and it's a surprisingly fun thing to do - You get a lot more lovely behavior out of people when you take time to learn how to play Bastion with something approximating skill.

Of course, if the enemy team is taking time out of their attack run to try to kill me instead of standing on the loving point then I'm doing my job adequately.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Strom Cuzewon posted:

If it's so polished then why does Reapers reload animation show differently for him and other players? In first person he chucks his guns in front of him, but other players see him chuck them behind him. My immersion!

I'm mad that he doesn't reload them one-handedly simultaneously like in Terminator 2

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The fact that Star Control 2/The Ur-Quan Masters lets you completely skip playing the arcadey spaceship duels so you can just focus on exploration and story is amazing, especially considering that 25 years later people get outraged when companies like Bioware even suggest it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Exit Strategy posted:

I main Bastion, and it's a surprisingly fun thing to do - You get a lot more lovely behavior out of people when you take time to learn how to play Bastion with something approximating skill.

Of course, if the enemy team is taking time out of their attack run to try to kill me instead of standing on the loving point then I'm doing my job adequately.

It's also wholly satisfying after you've pushed their poo poo in for a bit and half (or all) of the entire opposing team set out to gently caress you up :allears:.

If you want some fun with Bastion on Offense, get a buddy to run Reinhardt. He pushes in, you set up behind. Or get on the Payload together to form a Pain Train :black101:.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's also wholly satisfying after you've pushed their poo poo in for a bit and half (or all) of the entire opposing team set out to gently caress you up :allears:.

If you want some fun with Bastion on Offense, get a buddy to run Reinhardt. He pushes in, you set up behind. Or get on the Payload together to form a Pain Train :black101:.

And then if you get a Mercy to heal you during that same maneuver, it's Operation Protect the President.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I love that two of Bastion's Play of the Game intros are just him transforming to Sentry Mode and a constant stream of bullet hell in Sentry Mode. Just to rub salt in the wound :allears:.

I use the transformation one myself, just for a sense of "here comes the turret spree! :v:"

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Ryoshi posted:

The title of the mode is one of those voice lines, but between that and the rule set I think it's safe to call it a dig at CoD and it's "everyone has a soldier in them" advertising tagline.

That's a little strange, since they're both made by the same company.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

dpbjinc posted:

That's a little strange, since they're both made by the same company.

Overwatch is made/published by blizzard and call of duty is published by activision

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And together those 2 companies (plus some others) make up Activision Blizzard.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Somehow I forgot they ever merged even though it was 8 years ago

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It's not a jab at CoD in the "HEH gently caress THOSE GAMES" sense, it's just a poking a little fun at them while mixing up the regular Overwatch gameplay.

Also, Dad: 76 owns anyway.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I really just wish they'd make the random hero mode a permanent thing, it was the best experience I've had with the game so far and also was fun as hell to do before having even played the real mode a single time. How do I play this clown? I have 10 seconds after spawning to figure out.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Digirat posted:

I really just wish they'd make the random hero mode a permanent thing, it was the best experience I've had with the game so far and also was fun as hell to do before having even played the real mode a single time. How do I play this clown? I have 10 seconds after spawning to figure out.

This but also make ultimates charge faster. They reset if you change character and most players don't get a full charge in one life.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The fact that you hardly ever saw ultimates in the mode was one reason I liked it so much

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Digirat posted:

Dota 2 has it as the basis for a full mode. Both teams get 40 respawns each, whoever runs out of heroes first loses. It was probably my favorite mode to play, because for a weirdo gimmick it had a lot of strategy to it.

Also in Dota 2: everyone gets a random hero, and then has to draft-pick abilities out of every hero that got drawn (plus a couple others). Unbalanced as hell, but nobody gives a poo poo.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes.

And we call this the "Sodium Podium."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In FF Type-0 HD I love how powerful the summons and L'cie are shown to be. In FF13 they were just slightly enhanced people, with the fear being propoganda mixed with engineered mass hysteria rather than an actual reason to fear them. In FF Type-0 two L'cie clash for the first time in 500 years and a town is reduced to a mere memory, and a crater.

Also like the l'cie crystal collectibles, how they come at the end of a town's side story, like helping the newly-self-appointed mayor get attention to speak to his populace to rally them to rebuild, or even just the smaller ones like helping a little girl get in touch with her big sister in Akademia :3:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Digirat posted:

Agreed, I like rotating special modes a lot but random heroes needs to be a permanent one because it's so great.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I like how in Hand of Fate the dealer comments on every thing you do, from equipment choices, your playstyle, giving you hints on bosses, to even the amount of real time that passes between playing the game. Feels very organic, he'll even call you impatient if you click through the event cards too fast.

Also, there's an option in the settings menu to turn the spider on/off.

Pretty great little game overall, it's on humblebundle at $5 tier for 10 more hours.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

I like how in Hand of Fate the dealer comments on every thing you do, from equipment choices, your playstyle, giving you hints on bosses, to even the amount of real time that passes between playing the game. Feels very organic, he'll even call you impatient if you click through the event cards too fast.

Also, there's an option in the settings menu to turn the spider on/off.

Pretty great little game overall, it's on humblebundle at $5 tier for 10 more hours.

I love the Hand of Fate dealer, he's up there with the ancestor from Darkest Dungeon for great game narrators.

My favourite dealer moment so far:
There's an event card, I forget what it's called, but it pretty much always gives you a free shield and since the shield let's you perform the crazy useful counter attack I always have it in my deck.
Well, after getting it several games in a row, the dealer just kind of sighs and says "I suspect the reason you always put that in your deck is just so you can get a free shield".

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Also in Dota 2: everyone gets a random hero, and then has to draft-pick abilities out of every hero that got drawn (plus a couple others). Unbalanced as hell, but nobody gives a poo poo.

My favourite little thing in that was how so many people insist on picking passives and carry skills only to get utterly shut down by one guy with nukes and stuns.

The best gimmick build I ever found was sticky napalm, permanent invisibility and either dark pact or shackle. They proc the napalm about 10 times a second, so even a few stacks will explode any hero.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My favourite little thing in that was how so many people insist on picking passives and carry skills only to get utterly shut down by one guy with nukes and stuns.

The best gimmick build I ever found was sticky napalm, permanent invisibility and either dark pact or shackle. They proc the napalm about 10 times a second, so even a few stacks will explode any hero.

There used to be weird interaction with Earthshaker's Aftershock and toggle-able spells like Voodoo Restoration. You could flip them off-and-on and each on cycle would proc the area stun and damage.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

In Kingdom of Loathing, typing /friends in the in-game chat will check to see if any of your friends are online.

You can also do it by typing /romans or /countrymen

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What if you type /ears?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In Watchdogs you can occasionally hack the big brother servers and see random data feeds of the automatic surveillance system at work. One I found today was of a kid playing Assassin's Creed with his dad watching, and the dad just gets increasingly confused and annoyed with it. "Now he's talking to the guy he just killed?" "Yeah, it's like...a confession." "This is dumb." "Dad, you're ruining it!" :3:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

What if you type /ears?

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Digirat posted:

In overwatch you can make your character say "Hello" and wave

I love the fact that there's at least 2 different "Hello" lines for each character. Mei says "Nihao/Hi", D.Va says "Annyeong/Hello", Zenyatta says "Peace be upon you/Greetings", stuff like that. It's a tiny detail, but I think it's awfully cute.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Furthermore, anyone from a non-English country will say a good amount of their lines in their native language.

I don't know what Mei is saying but she is loving adorable doing it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
This is more of a surprising little thing, but I've gotten into The Witcher 3 after completely bouncing off the first two, and honestly I did not think I would like Geralt at all. I figured he was going to be the boring oh-so-edgy type, and maybe he is in the earlier games, but it turns out his "I'm getting too old for this poo poo, my friend is a poncy idiot bard and I have to ring a little bell for a goat, I am not taking any poo poo from anyone any more" schtick works well. In an early sidequest he deadpans an awful pun about imps and I love it.

I also really like the trolls, who are like big cheerful simpletons that Geralt talks to as if they were children.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Inzombiac posted:

Furthermore, anyone from a non-English country will say a good amount of their lines in their native language.

I don't know what Mei is saying but she is loving adorable doing it.

I love Mei so much, she's so adorable. I can't loving handle her reload animation, partly because it's adorable, partly because even though it's just her two hands and gun, Blizz somehow manage to convey some of her character with it. That's true with a lot of characters though, like the way Junkrat is really violent and slaps his launcher around to reload, for example.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
My favorite gameplay touch in overwatch regarding the voice lines is probably the fact that the ultimate lines are different depending if they're on your team or the other, so you know if you should help the push or dive for cover.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of Overwatch Languages, Junkrat's australian vocabulary is great. One line is calling enemies dipsticks, you greet people as cobbers. It's like if your mate's dad got brain damage and a grenade launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RagnarokAngel posted:

My favorite gameplay touch in overwatch regarding the voice lines is probably the fact that the ultimate lines are different depending if they're on your team or the other, so you know if you should help the push or dive for cover.

Mei's could use a change though, because it sounds like a general voice emote instead of "LOOK OUT, HERE COMES HER ULTIMATE" like everyone else's. Especially as it's spoken in chinese.