Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

how many tweakers does it take to light a road flare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Crazy Ted posted:

Crows are pretty incredible. My parents used to have a heated birdbath, and every winter crows would line the entire rim of the thing like they were having some kind of crow party. There were pennies at the bottom of it, and one by one each crow would dip its beak in, pick up a coin, flip it in the air, and watch it plop back down into the heated water. Apparently this was incredibly amusing to the crows because they'd all make noise for about five seconds after the penny fell back into the water.

Crows are basically birds with the brain capacity of a 2 year old.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

That car has exceptional aerodynamics.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I dare you to prove that.

They also remember people who are friendly, which is why I'm BFFs with all wasps.

Gullous posted:

I think he's describing crows. Crows can recognize faces and communicate those faces to other crows.

Wasps do it too. Take this book from 1900 for example.
http://www.kellscraft.com/Wasps/Wasps15.html

quote:

There was once a nest of little yellow-jackets in a wood-shed, where whoever entered was obliged to pass within a few inches of it. This most people could do with impunity. But there was a coloured boy whom the black-and-yellow tenants of the nest could not endure. They would not allow him to enter the shed, or even to come within several yards of the door. “They bite me whenever I go that way,” he complained, and he had not molested them in any way. Perhaps he smelled of deceit, and they were afraid to trust him near their precious paper fabric.
Some wasps are racist

quote:

It is generally easy to make friends with the wasps if the nest is near at hand, and if they are never frightened or tormented. They do not sting for the sake of stinging, but only in self-defence. There are a number of cases on record of people having allowed the hornets to build in their houses, and suffering no inconvenience in consequence.

That wasps have a good memory was shown by those that learned to go to their nests through a paper opening of various colours. They not only observed the colours but remembered them.

Once a wasp's nest was built in an attic, and the wasps were in the habit of approaching it through an open window. One day this window was closed, and after bumping against the glass a few times, the wasps found another entrance, and did not again attempt to pass through the window.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

Wasps do have some form of communication though. I watched some Alan Alda thing where they did a bunch of experiments. They'd set up a picnic with dummies and props and a wasp would come back to its nest with the food and then other wasps would come too, some how that wasp told the others. So then they'd move everyone do another bench, but the previous wasps would go to the old bench but quickly figure out the new one. They kept changing things and seeing how the wasps would react and ended up strongly indicating the wasps were somehow not just describing the general direction and distance from the nest of the food source, but also what the area looked like. When the dummies and props were changed around the wasps got confused because they were told "look for the 4 blue shirt wearing people sitting at a table" and when they'd arrive there would be 2 green shirted dummies. If a table nearby was set up with 4 blue shirted dummies the wasps would quickly go there because that matched the description they were given.

So yeah, I think wasps can give directions and even describe objects/settings.

Wasps are really cool and I'm sad that so many people are frightened of them for dumb reasons

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Dumb reason #1: Ow ow ow ow ow ow gently caress poo poo OW GODDAMN IT OW OW OWOWOWOWOOW

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Some of us are allergic to flying dickheads :colbert:. Hive animals are rad as gently caress though.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Improbable Lobster posted:

They also remember people who are friendly, which is why I'm BFFs with all wasps

My best chum is kind to wasps and I always thought of it as an eccentricity (being kind to mosquitos though, that's madness). Now I wonder if he's onto something.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'll think that in that era especially nearly all WASPs were racist.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

On the other hand Peter Mayle tells a story of being stung by a wasp while he was swimming entirely underwater, i.e. the wasp dove into the pool to sting him, and that seems proper vindictive.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

tater_salad posted:

I'll think that in that era especially nearly all WASPs were racist.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

My best chum is kind to wasps and I always thought of it as an eccentricity (being kind to mosquitos though, that's madness). Now I wonder if he's onto something.

My first encounter with a wasp was when I was about 5 years old. I saw a wasp nest and was deliberately staying away from it and leaving them alone. One of the bastards stung me anyway, right in the side of the head.

I howled for a good half hour about it. Not so much because my head hurt, but because of the injustice of it all. I was going out of my way to be nice to them, and they stung me anyways.

Wasps are assholes.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Baronjutter posted:

Wasps do have some form of communication though. I watched some Alan Alda thing where they did a bunch of experiments. They'd set up a picnic with dummies and props and a wasp would come back to its nest with the food and then other wasps would come too, some how that wasp told the others. So then they'd move everyone do another bench, but the previous wasps would go to the old bench but quickly figure out the new one. They kept changing things and seeing how the wasps would react and ended up strongly indicating the wasps were somehow not just describing the general direction and distance from the nest of the food source, but also what the area looked like. When the dummies and props were changed around the wasps got confused because they were told "look for the 4 blue shirt wearing people sitting at a table" and when they'd arrive there would be 2 green shirted dummies. If a table nearby was set up with 4 blue shirted dummies the wasps would quickly go there because that matched the description they were given.

So yeah, I think wasps can give directions and even describe objects/settings.

SOLUTION: DESTROY THEM

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
We discovered I was allergic to wasps when I was 5 years old or something around there and just sitting on a bench minding my own business eating ice cream and a wasp stung me on the leg. I'd been there for like 15 minutes there was no reason to sting me, rear end in a top hat. :mad:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I rented a room for a while in a really lovely house that had squirrels and raccoons in the walls and one fine spring a wasp's nest was built there too, and once in a while a wasp would emerge from within the walls and angrily bash against the windows trying to get back home. I would carefully trap the wasp between a glass and an index card and release it outside, because I really didn't want to risk having my wall start buzzing like a bad fluorescent light bulb. Treat wasps with respect, even if they're the assholes of the insect kingdom.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Mosquitoes can gently caress right off

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mosquitoes can gently caress right off

Mosquitoes are one of the few species we could wipe out and probably see a net benefit.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Crazy Ted posted:

Crows are pretty incredible. My parents used to have a heated birdbath, and every winter crows would line the entire rim of the thing like they were having some kind of crow party. There were pennies at the bottom of it, and one by one each crow would dip its beak in, pick up a coin, flip it in the air, and watch it plop back down into the heated water. Apparently this was incredibly amusing to the crows because they'd all make noise for about five seconds after the penny fell back into the water.

Crows own. I've seen random garden birds forming an orderly queue around the feeder and the larger ones waiting for the smaller ones to drop food as they're too big to get on the feeder themselves.

This shows a level of planning and awareness not present in all humans for sure.

Some OSHA from years ago, I had a part time job in a warehouse and one of the other guys carried a wooden table up two flights of stairs then rode it down like a sled. This made so much noise that the customers in the shop above didn't know what the gently caress. He tied a load of sweatshirts round is head though so did attempt ppe at least. I think we filmed it on one of the demo cameras as well.

Also the warehouse manager would occasionally flip out and throw ladders at people. Fortunately not at me as I never pissed him off (that much).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

One time I was staying at my parents' and during the night a wasp climbed inside my discarded jeans to die(?), so when I put them on in the morning it stung me on the crotch and then buzzed away cackling madly to die in a corner. I don't know where it came from or why. It was my birthday. I hate them.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Wasps are really cool and I'm sad that so many people are frightened of them for dumb reasons

Most people are afraid of them (and scorpions, snakes, etc) because we have literally evolved to be.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Jmcrofts posted:

Most people are afraid of them (and scorpions, snakes, etc) because we have literally evolved to be.

That's actually not true. All of those bog groups of animals aren't consistently dangerous enough or present in early human habitats to have become an ingrained phobia. There was a study back in 2001 that claimed the fears were evolved but it was debunked. Those fears are 100% cultural and learned.

E: there are a lot of societies where a fear of snakes or spiders or w/e just aren't present or common at all, because they don't have a cultural tradition of fearing and demonizing those animals.

E: Exposure therapy can overcome most fears like arachnaphobia in about 4 hours.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 21, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I grew up in a place with lots of harmless snakes, no one really feared or demonized them. We'd catch them and play with them (warning they'll poo poo their panic stink defense fluid on you) and they were nice and smooth and fun to pet once they calmed down.

While visiting a site for work once there was a pile of boulders near the edge of a newly built building and I thought something was a garden hose and I got a bit pissed that they dumped these landscaping rocks on this very pretty hose and went to grab it but it was in fact a snake enjoying the sunny rocks. That could be pretty OSHA if I lived somewhere with dangerous snakes I guess.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My old apartment was so lovely I let multiple wasp nests develop inside because I felt such pity for them that they had nowhere to live but in that lovely apartment, like me. They never stung me. We understood each other

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I was arachnophobic for years, until I met my partner who has a tarantula: after a few days of it glaring at me from across the lounge I now have no issue with spiders.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

E: there are a lot of societies where a fear of snakes or spiders or w/e just aren't present or common at all, because they don't have a cultural tradition of fearing and demonizing those animals.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I lived in a lovely apartment where a wall panel in the shower was gradually coming unglued. One day, it finally fell in on me while I was showering and revealed a civilization of ants beneath. I hastily nailed it back onto the wall, pretending to be the bad guy from cask of amontillado and for the few months left on my lease just pretended they weren't there.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I grew up in a place with lots of harmless snakes, no one really feared or demonized them. We'd catch them and play with them (warning they'll poo poo their panic stink defense fluid on you) and they were nice and smooth and fun to pet once they calmed down.

While visiting a site for work once there was a pile of boulders near the edge of a newly built building and I thought something was a garden hose and I got a bit pissed that they dumped these landscaping rocks on this very pretty hose and went to grab it but it was in fact a snake enjoying the sunny rocks. That could be pretty OSHA if I lived somewhere with dangerous snakes I guess.

I garter snake has been really active in my yard over the past month. The problem was that last week I opened the door and he shot inside as fast as he could go. And the room he got into was my library.

I had to move three bookshelves before I finally got him.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Pharmaskittle posted:

I lived in a lovely apartment where a wall panel in the shower was gradually coming unglued. One day, it finally fell in on me while I was showering and revealed a civilization of ants beneath. I hastily nailed it back onto the wall, pretending to be the bad guy from cask of amontillado and for the few months left on my lease just pretended they weren't there.

For the love of God, Pharmaskittle!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

For the love of God, Pharmaskittle!

Yes, for the love of God!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Rat snakes? Those are the only one's I've ever found that had that nasty musk. Also they seem to be the most aggressive(although still pretty harmless) compared to ring necks and king snakes and such. I remember the little green snakes would bite you too, but I hadn't seen those fellows around in like 20 years. I hope they are doing okay.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Bees are great. Wasps eat bees. gently caress wasps.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Mosquitoes are one of the few species we could wipe out and probably see a net benefit.

Probably not, after all the things that eat mosquitoes, mosquito eggs and mosquito larvae die out as a result, then all the things that eat them, then all the things that eat them etc.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Insects are just a bug, not a feature.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Insects v.1.1 patch notes: Bug fixes and performance improvements

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Pharmaskittle posted:

I honestly thought I was reading the TCC 'Share youre druggiest moments' thread for a minute.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Hyperlynx posted:

Probably not, after all the things that eat mosquitoes, mosquito eggs and mosquito larvae die out as a result, then all the things that eat them, then all the things that eat them etc.

Bats are cool and interesting animals. Dragonflies are neat. Mosquito-killers are a bit scary looking, but I'm cool with them.

Also, wasp-killers are a thing. Cicada-killer wasps look like wasps from the Devil's rear end in a top hat, but are apparently very chill.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

YF19pilot posted:

Also, wasp-killers are a thing. Cicada-killer wasps look like wasps from the Devil's rear end in a top hat, but are apparently very chill.

I was expecting worse.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

Not quite that simple

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100721/full/466432a.html

quote:

Yet in many cases, scientists acknowledge that the ecological scar left by a missing mosquito would heal quickly as the niche was filled by other organisms. Life would continue as before — or even better. When it comes to the major disease vectors, "it's difficult to see what the downside would be to removal, except for collateral damage", says insect ecologist Steven Juliano, of Illinois State University in Normal. A world without mosquitoes would be "more secure for us", says medical entomologist Carlos Brisola Marcondes from the Federal University of Santa Catarina in Brazil. "The elimination of Anopheles would be very significant for mankind."

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 22, 2016

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yes, for the love of God!

These posts please me greatly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Rat snakes? Those are the only one's I've ever found that had that nasty musk. Also they seem to be the most aggressive(although still pretty harmless) compared to ring necks and king snakes and such. I remember the little green snakes would bite you too, but I hadn't seen those fellows around in like 20 years. I hope they are doing okay.

Garter snakes are fuckin foul if they cut loose on you. Not as bad as rat snakes though and way less of a bad attitude.