Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ijyt posted:

I'm seeing 10-20fps gains OC to OC and stock to stock. Also that chart shows that all the nvidia cards seem to OC by about 200Mhz so now I'm even more confused as to all the :cry:ing about 1080 overclocks.

I just don't get video cards I guess.
200 Mhz of a higher base clock is a lower percentage overclock.

teh_Broseph posted:

More like it's insane how close the 980ti and 1080 are; here go some benchmarks including the (very important) OC on the 980ti: https://youtu.be/Kgfe4QdhBbE
Now I want a 980 Ti more than before. I missed some cheap ones a week or two ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

teh_Broseph posted:

More like it's insane how close the 980ti and 1080 are; here go some benchmarks including the (very important) OC on the 980ti: https://youtu.be/Kgfe4QdhBbE

is this a troll video?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Khorne posted:

Now I want a 980 Ti more than before. I missed some cheap ones a week or two ago.

Newegg's Ebay store has EVGA 980 Ti BNIB for only $450.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-DirectX-12-06G-P4-4997-KR-6GB-384-Bit-GDDR5-PCI-Express-/291724081067?hash=item43ec1c37ab

You can get used 980 Ti from [H]ardForum for around $380-$400.

The only conceivable upgrade for me is a 1080 Ti or a Titan, being a 980 Ti owner. The 1080 is just not price per performance valuated for any current 980 Ti owner.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SlayVus posted:

The only conceivable upgrade for me is a 1080 Ti or a Titan, being a 980 Ti owner. The 1080 is just not price per performance valuated for any current 980 Ti owner.
It didn't stop people from chucking them at 300 dollars on reddit and ebay

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

"Polaris Edition"
"CUDA Cores"

:suicide:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Visiontek listings :allears:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Khorne posted:

But it's already a higher baseclock? I mean I don't know what people want at this point., nvidia to release a 1280 Ti right now?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

ijyt posted:

But it's already a higher baseclock? I mean I don't know what people want at this point., nvidia to release a 1280 Ti right now?

They want another card that overclocks by 30% out of the box with zero effort.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

PBCrunch posted:

There is a weird set of circumstances causing people to compare the RX480 to the GTX1070.

The RX480 information is kind of sketchy, so it requires more analysis, and non-apples to apples comparison.
It appears to be almost impossible to get a 1070 from a retailer at the moment.
The 1070s that are trickling out from manufacturers are nowhere near the real MSRP ($380).
For owners of 1080p monitors, the extra performance of the 1070 is unlikely to noticeably change the gaming experience. This might even be halfway true at 1440p.

Note to self: never list an item on ebay with a "Best Offer" option unless you want your phone to chime constantly with people offering one third of the Buy It Now price.

It's pretty simple. Yeah, the 480 is going to come in below a 1070. But people want to know just how much lower. Because if it's not a lot lower, then they might go with what's easier on the wallet and/or more available.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Just got order confirmation for the MSI 1080 Armor I backordered yesterday from Newegg - looks like backordering might be a pretty good shot for getting a card.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Visiontek listings :allears:

To be fair, I had to go through their RMA for the 4870X2/5870 era a few times (Their Refurb replacement cards ended up all having the same issue almost all 4870's did. Deat from Heatstroke) but they handled it well and were pretty good about getting me replacements quickly, then "Upgrading" me to a 5870 that still kicks it today.

In other news, drat at least I feel better knowing my 980Ti really does have the grunt to hold me off perfectly fine till the 1080Ti at least. Mine seems to OC even farther than the reviewers all seem to get (Do they not report on the actual clocks the card is holding vs what the app used to OC says the turbo will be? I have been confused on that since Fermi).

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 22, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Jewegg pulled the rx480 listing. Probably got a call from AMD upset that they revealed it has cuda cores.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Don Lapre posted:

Jewegg pulled the rx480 listing. Probably got a call from AMD upset that they revealed it has cuda cores.

Hoping that is an unfortunate typo.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Mr E posted:

Just got order confirmation for the MSI 1080 Armor I backordered yesterday from Newegg - looks like backordering might be a pretty good shot for getting a card.

If they actually allow you to backorder on Newegg chances are you will get it very quickly. They haven't been allowing many backorders yet at all

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Paul MaudDib posted:

Amazon has the ASUS lovely blower card up for preorder: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01HDUVJ2M/

This is may be a dumb question, but is the blower a lot worse performance-wise than the other coolers? It went up for $609 which seems pretty good considering what the other cards have been going for, but is that the "unable to overclock because the cooler is wicked lovely" discount?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Marklar posted:

This is may be a dumb question, but is the blower a lot worse performance-wise than the other coolers? It went up for $609 which seems pretty good considering what the other cards have been going for, but is that the "unable to overclock because the cooler is wicked lovely" discount?

I wouldn't get it unless I was doing watercooling and wanted a ref pcb or was doing sli.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Now time to decide if I should go ahead and upgrade to a XB271HU or wait till later...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Marklar posted:

I'd expect that blower to run at least 5-10C hotter than the FE one with the vapor chamber and way hotter than an open cooler, saving $30-$50 on a $600 purchase and getting a much inferior product seems pretty drat stupid to me. The only reason to buy these is if you were planning to rip the cooler off and slap a waterblock on in the first place.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hoping that is an unfortunate typo.

I fear it's not.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

It actually was lol, this asus flip is a tiny keyboard.

:jewish:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

teh_Broseph posted:

... There are some issues with this lol. The 980ti was the best card I've ever owned, I cannot speak more highly of that card. However it will not be better than a 1080 apples to apples ... Simply because its not better than a 1070 OC to OC. Its practically the same in performance and trades blows

Now ill agree with the overall message that snagging a used 980ti for a good price is a very valid idea, even a great idea depending on your situation. This is doubly true if you use a normal 60hz 1080p monitor, you literally wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 980ti and a 1080. The sole caveat is how worried you will be with DX12 in the future. Frankly, I wasn't very concerned but time could change that.

But showing pics of ebay listings at $300 and heavily implying that it's just as good as a 1080 is retarded. Sorry. And did anybody see the ending ? Lol.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Normally I buy the GTX x70 variant cards, but now I've got more cash and I feel like splurging. I want a card that will both be great with my 1440p monitor and be good for 2nd generation VR headsets.

I want EVGA's overclocked GTX 1080: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814487244

I'm going to have to camp the store page at work tomorrow and hope I get lucky.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Inverness posted:

Normally I buy the GTX x70 variant cards, but now I've got more cash and I feel like splurging. I want a card that will both be great with my 1440p monitor and be good for 2nd generation VR headsets.

I want EVGA's overclocked GTX 1080: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814487244

Make sure to use nowinstock and use this pastebin:

http://pastebin.com/j1Yuhnie

If you want to use newegg, their pages take too long to update if an item's in stock.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Inverness posted:

You could also step up from your usual price range where you got those x70 cards and get a GTX 1070. :eng99:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Mr E posted:

Make sure to use nowinstock and use this pastebin:

http://pastebin.com/j1Yuhnie

If you want to use newegg, their pages take too long to update if an item's in stock.
Great, thanks. :hfive:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mr E posted:

The MSI Gaming X 1080 I backordered yesterday on Newegg is shipping tonight too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I believe the highest stable I got (in Firestrike Ultra, specifically) was "just" 2064 (? 2060 something), I dialed back to 2038 for a buffer. The highest stable memory OC I'm at is 9600 mhz, although I should note it actually never crashed and ran at 10,000 which was the highest possible memory overclock in Afterburner for this card lol, something I've never been able to do. However there was an occasional memory related visual error down to around 9700 mhz so I left it at 9600 mhz.

The actual settings are +52 core and +800 memory. I also have the Afterburner beta Core Voltage % slider all the way to 100 but I'm not sure that was necessary or did anything so I might play around with that. Powertarget at 111%, again not sure if it even attempted to go above 100% yet but its probable, I'll add it to my OSD.

The real star of the show, for me, is doing all this as quietly as it does. I am very very very pleased with that.

And that headset actually made me laugh out loud. To its credit, they are the best fitting earbuds I've ever put in my ears EVER which was astonishing. The song started with vocals and I thought hey wow this sounds alright, then the bass hit... and I laughed. Hilariously bad.

Thanks for this, it gives me something to compare with when tweaking my settings. Though I can't seem to up my core voltage in Afterbruner, it's greyed out and doesn't let me use the slider. Trying it out at +40 core and +500 memory to start with and go from there.

e: Is there any reason to not just leave a fan setting on auto? Like do some people always want their fans running at a certain level to ensure airflow or what?

e2: This is what I've seen after running Doom and FFXIV for a little while:

68C max temp on the GPU over maybe 2-3 hours of the games running at max settings in 1440. Still not sure why Core Voltage can't be tweaked but since games seem to be running well so far so it shouldn't matter I suppose? CPU temps were 50/53/46/43 max as well (CPU is not overclocked atm).

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 22, 2016

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Enos Cabell posted:

The MSI Gaming X 1080 I backordered yesterday on Newegg is shipping tonight too.

Same card I ordered Sunday, should have it Friday.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
So apparently leaks on MSRP launch prices for the reference 400 series cards will be

RX 460, 2GB: 99$
RX 460, 4GB: 119$
RX 470, 4GB: 149$
RX 470, 8GB: 179$
RX 480, 4GB, 199$
RX 480, 8GB, 229$

RX470 4GB looks to be in a dominating position if it's hovering just under 970 performance, so much so that it kind of makes only the extreme ends of the price range worth considering.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The 470 might be exactly what I'm looking for. Is there any reason to swing for 8gb if I'm only playing at 1080?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

TheMadMilkman posted:

The 470 might be exactly what I'm looking for. Is there any reason to swing for 8gb if I'm only playing at 1080?

No, especially since I don't think the RX 470 has enough horsepower to ever take advantage of it. That' and it's only 20$ less than the better performing RX 480 4GB so :|

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Managed to snag an ASUS ROG 1080 even though I said I'd wait for a 480 and then a 1080TI. I'm probably going to regret this. Oh well!

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

Guni posted:

Managed to snag an ASUS ROG 1080 even though I said I'd wait for a 480 and then a 1080TI. I'm probably going to regret this. Oh well!

I likewise got one of the aforementioned MSI Gaming X 1080s, and I am historically not really an early-adopter type, but I figure it'll last me a while. Downside is, I'm pretty lazy as far as recouping money by selling my old cards. I'll have a MSI 970 ME that's being replaced. Hell, I still have my old HIS 7950 that that replaced in a box somewhere.

Part of it is issues I've had with Paypal in the past making me fed up with trying to sort it out with them. Maybe Amazon will let me sell them.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

FakePoet posted:

I likewise got one of the aforementioned MSI Gaming X 1080s, and I am historically not really an early-adopter type, but I figure it'll last me a while. Downside is, I'm pretty lazy as far as recouping money by selling my old cards. I'll have a MSI 970 ME that's being replaced. Hell, I still have my old HIS 7950 that that replaced in a box somewhere.

Part of it is issues I've had with Paypal in the past making me fed up with trying to sort it out with them. Maybe Amazon will let me sell them.

amazon seller is pretty nice except you're more or less obligated to accept returns for random reasons. Also potentially higher rates.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
To people worrying about upgrading their 2500K, I just tested my i7-920 @3.5ghz playing the Witcher 3 @1440p:

From ~30fps on a 270x with it's balls overclocked off, to ~90 fps with a 1070 out of the box. My 6 year old cpu lives another couple of years.

technocr4t
Jun 3, 2014

Second Sun posted:

To people worrying about upgrading their 2500K, I just tested my i7-920 @3.5ghz playing the Witcher 3 @1440p:

From ~30fps on a 270x with it's balls overclocked off, to ~90 fps with a 1070 out of the box. My 6 year old cpu lives another couple of years.

I put off playing that game because my system "wasn't good enough". Finally broke down and played it recently, and I was getting 30-40 fps at 1200p (with occasional drops during cutscenes) on my stock 3570k/HD 6950, a GPU that is technically unsupported. Genuinely surprised and pleased by that.

Definitely waiting for a new card before tackling the DLC, though.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Those prices look daft, as in 'there's almost no reason at all to get anything under a 480' daft. Although I suppose this is before the vendors all shove their own logarithmic scales on, to ensure there's a 50+ difference between the '80 and the '70.

Honestly don't know whether or not to pull the trigger on a 1070 here (at 540 euros, heh) or wait for a 480 and just get another 480 if that gets sluggish. Couldn't give a bollocks about 'brand loyalty', just no idea what to do.

That said, this 1080/1070 launch is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth. I shudder to think what will happen when Nvidia truly has no competition at all, if this is a preview.

E: Of course, they have a perfect right to re-coup their millions of R&D investment if people keep buying 'em. Capitalism, ho!

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 22, 2016

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Moogle posted:

Those prices look daft, as in 'there's almost no reason at all to get anything under a 480' daft. Although I suppose this is before the vendors all shove their own logarithmic scales on, to ensure there's a 50+ difference between the '80 and the '70.

It's the long shadow of 329$ launch 970's still haunting AMD.
They would have loved to charge more for the 480, but it's just not possible so everything is kinda compressed at the bottom end. Profit margins on Polaris must be :unsmith:

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Moogle posted:

Honestly don't know whether or not to pull the trigger on a 1070 here (at 540 euros, heh) or wait for a 480 and just get another 480 if that gets sluggish. Couldn't give a bollocks about 'brand loyalty', just no idea what to do.

That said, this 1080/1070 launch is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth. I shudder to think what will happen when Nvidia truly has no competition at all, if this is a preview.

E: Of course, they have a perfect right to re-coup their millions of R&D investment if people keep buying 'em. Capitalism, ho!

SLI mid-range GPU's is never a good idea, you'll end up with enough games where scaling is either mediocre or non-existent and you'll be lamenting the 200+ dollar brick in your PC.

I'm still holding out for a GTX 1070, probably won't be able to order one at a price I'm interested in until after the RX 480 benches come out, so at the very least I'll see if the 480 is the actual Miracle Bullshit Magic some are really hoping it is with 50% overclocks on air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Moogle posted:

It's only a week until the NDA lifts, or two more days if that one leak is anything to go by. Shouldn't be too long until we get the full picture, so hopefully you don't NEED a card between now and then.

E: I, for one, am hopeful that AMD will have a good product and that the overclocking rumors are true. Red team needs a break.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 22, 2016