Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
It was a major mistake to not make She Hulk the leader of the whatever-you-call-Captain-Marvel's-side. It would raise the problem of how do you get readers to side against She Hulk, but at least I'd have a side lead by a character I actively like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I think BSS drastically underestimates how popular Captain Marvel is.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I love Carol but her comics have not been that great. She deserves better.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Her new series is fantastic. And once they cast an Oscar winner in the film role shell get a permanent center spotlight in the comics

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

JoshTheStampede posted:

I think BSS drastically underestimates how popular Captain Marvel is.

Not really. Marvel's been trying really hard to make her happen, and she's nowhere near as popular as Ms. Marvel or Squirrel Girl. And the "Carol Corps" on the internet are really just super annoying KSD fans that left the book when she did.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

Her new series is fantastic. And once they cast an Oscar winner in the film role shell get a permanent center spotlight in the comics

I don't really read Marvel hardly at all so I don't know what's good. I'll try to check it out.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Her new series is just okay. Let's not be throwing around words like "fantastic" to describe it when she's also on the ultimates, which is a genuinely fantastic book.

The series has insanely hella good covers though.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Things in Marvel space generally are pretty boring to me so I guess I'm at a pretty big disadvantage for liking her solo series and Ultimates. I don't know what it is about stories in space, but I love them in video games, movies, regular books, etc but comic book space never interests me. I guess my weird aversion to space is probably why I don't like Carol that much v:shobon:v.

In A-Force she's fine but not particularly noteworthy. Definitely behind Dazzler, Nico, and She Hulk but ahead of Medusa in terms of likability.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Captain Marvel's current series is great stuff. One of the better books Marvel is putting out right now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DrProsek posted:

In A-Force she's fine but not particularly noteworthy. Definitely behind Dazzler, Nico, and She Hulk but ahead of Medusa in terms of likability.
God, if you wanna talk about things that Marvel is trying to force into popularity but will never, ever be popular.

STOP TRYING TO MAKE THE INHUMANS HAPPEN, MARVEL. IT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If they really want Carol to be super popular they should have put her in a movie sooner

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I still think she's not getting a movie.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

God three books sure is forcing Inhumans down our throats.

Not like, say, deadpool with his half-dozen books or x-men with their over a dozen titles of various types or wolverine who, despite being dead, has two solo books right now.

Like seriously dislike the Inhumans all you loving want but don't pretend they're dominating the scene when all they have is uncanny and all-new. And especially don't turn around and praise how awesome Ms. Marvel is in the same breath.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Not like, say, deadpool with his half-dozen books or x-men with their over a dozen titles of various types or wolverine who, despite being dead, has two solo books right now.

Like seriously dislike the Inhumans all you loving want but don't pretend they're dominating the scene when all they have is uncanny and all-new. And especially don't turn around and praise how awesome Ms. Marvel is in the same breath.

If you're counting Ms Marvel as an Inhuman, you need to count Squirrel Girl as a mutant, because they're about equally connected to those titles, which is to say not in the least bit.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gaz-L posted:

If you're counting Ms Marvel as an Inhuman, you need to count Squirrel Girl as a mutant, because they're about equally connected to those titles, which is to say not in the least bit.

:colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Just wait until you read tomorrow's issue of Ms Marvel.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ms Marvel has been on and off connected with Inhumans for sure. Also the Inhumans are great and have been great for decades, but like everything they have their bad spells as well (we don't talk about Sean McKeever's run).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really didn't like how Hickman used the Inhumans. I'm glad they're free from his clutches now, and are owning nightclubs in celebration.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Ms Marvel has been on and off connected with Inhumans for sure. Also the Inhumans are great and have been great for decades, but like everything they have their bad spells as well (we don't talk about Sean McKeever's run).

Uncanny Inhumans is so drat good right now, especially the newest issue. I've fallen far behind on All New but UI, Ms Marvel and Karnak are all fantastic books.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Uncanny Inhumans is so drat good right now, especially the newest issue. I've fallen far behind on All New but UI, Ms Marvel and Karnak are all fantastic books.

Me and the other 3 people actually reading it really like Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur as well.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

I'm baffled that the Inhumans have a single book, let alone three. I kinda see where they're coming from honestly. They're C list at best and someone at Marvel sure seems to care about them all of a sudden.

You'd get the same reaction if Alpha Flight or The Wild Pack suddenly had three ongoing comic books and somehow a movie on the horizon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Me and the other 3 people actually reading it really like Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur as well.

First issue didn't do anything for me at all. I guess I'll have to grab the Timely reprint tomorrow and give it another go.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Travis343 posted:

I'm baffled that the Inhumans have a single book, let alone three. I kinda see where they're coming from honestly. They're C list at best and someone at Marvel sure seems to care about them all of a sudden.
Hint: if they make a new character whose origin is being a mutant, those film rights automatically go to Fox, and that is not the case if they're an Inhuman instead.

That's it. That's why. It's so nakedly, cynically corporate and nobody's fooled and I hate it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CapnAndy posted:

Hint: if they make a new character whose origin is being a mutant, those film rights automatically go to Fox, and that is not the case if they're an Inhuman instead.

That's it. That's why. It's so nakedly, cynically corporate and nobody's fooled and I hate it.

Hint: If it's a good book the motivations don't matter.

You think that Marvel just up and decided one day to make a big drive on female or minority led books out of the goodness of their heart? Everything is a business decision. If we get good books out it then that's a good thing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

X-O posted:

Hint: If it's a good book the motivations don't matter.

You think that Marvel just up and decided one day to make a big drive on female or minority led books out of the goodness of their heart? Everything is a business decision. If we get good books out it then that's a good thing.
It neither makes the Inhumans cool nor good, though, and never will, no matter how many mutants they slap a quick Terrigenesis cloud on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No Inhuman will ever be as terrible as Jubilee.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gaz-L posted:

An ongoing joke of USG is how she's not a mutant. I don't think there's been a single issue of North's run where Squirrel Girl has worked with a mutant to any significant degree, and there's certainly never been an issue or arc of Squirrel Girl centered in or around famous mutant locations - no stories at Genosha, Jean Grey school, etc. The themes of USG aren't X-Men-like themes - she's not really minority, she's not hated for being different, she's not persecuted. She's well-liked if a bit shy, she's not a horny teen, even beyond the retcon she's very much Not a Mutant.

In contrast Ms. Marvel had a major arc of the story be her meeting with and learning her Inhuman heritage, she spends her free time training in New Attilan, she had a major arc where she developed a major crush on a fellow Inhuman (who betrayed her and she ended up fighting her way out of New Attilan), she met Medusa who gifted her Lockjaw as a pet. The major themes of Ms. Marvel center around Kamala's desire to be a superhero - specifically a white, western superhero considering that's who she grew up idolizing - while working against the trappings of her culture while still respecting them. As a character, Kamala Khan is trapped between the fact that she's the daughter of immigrants who end up in a culture where women have strictly defined roles and a lot of her stories deal with attempting to still embrace her Pakistani heritage. She's got the typical immigrant story, where she feels stuck between two cultures and not necessary belonging to either, and the revelation that she's an Inhuman - that she's not even a member of the human race, which she had long since assumed - gives her an even heavier feeling of Otherness. GWW has, so far, been drawing fairly heavy parallels between Kamala's Pakistani-American-ness and how that's caused her troubles and her Inhuman-ness and how that's caused her troubles, while both cultures allow her to suddenly find other like-minded individuals who can sympathize with her plight.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Men in Black - 1997, I Robot - 2004, Hancock - 2008, Focus - 2015. All white ladies.

Did he kiss any of those ladies on screen?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CapnAndy posted:

It neither makes the Inhumans cool nor good, though, and never will, no matter how many mutants they slap a quick Terrigenesis cloud on.

Well Inhumans have the advantage of being used so infrequently over the years that most of their prominent non crossover related stuff is actually rather good. Whereas the X-Men have been so overexposed that the vast majority of their stuff ranges from not very good to complete garbage even though there is a lot of great stuff too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Toxxupation posted:

An ongoing joke of USG is how she's not a mutant. I don't think there's been a single issue of North's run where Squirrel Girl has worked with a mutant to any significant degree, and there's certainly never been an issue or arc of Squirrel Girl centered in or around famous mutant locations - no stories at Genosha, Jean Grey school, etc. The themes of USG aren't X-Men-like themes - she's not really minority, she's not hated for being different, she's not persecuted. She's well-liked if a bit shy, she's not a horny teen, even beyond the retcon she's very much Not a Mutant.

In contrast Ms. Marvel had a major arc of the story be her meeting with and learning her Inhuman heritage, she spends her free time training in New Attilan, she had a major arc where she developed a major crush on a fellow Inhuman (who betrayed her and she ended up fighting her way out of New Attilan), she met Medusa who gifted her Lockjaw as a pet. The major themes of Ms. Marvel center around Kamala's desire to be a superhero - specifically a white, western superhero considering that's who she grew up idolizing - while working against the trappings of her culture while still respecting them. As a character, Kamala Khan is trapped between the fact that she's the daughter of immigrants who end up in a culture where women have strictly defined roles and a lot of her stories deal with attempting to still embrace her Pakistani heritage. She's got the typical immigrant story, where she feels stuck between two cultures and not necessary belonging to either, and the revelation that she's an Inhuman - that she's not even a member of the human race, which she had long since assumed - gives her an even heavier feeling of Otherness. GWW has, so far, been drawing fairly heavy parallels between Kamala's Pakistani-American-ness and how that's caused her troubles and her Inhuman-ness and how that's caused her troubles, while both cultures allow her to suddenly find other like-minded individuals who can sympathize with her plight.

Squirrel Girl just teamed up with All New Wolverine in that book, and she's in New Avengers, a team funded by a founding member of New Mutants.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Travis343 posted:

Well considering that Uncanny Inhumans 10 is probably the single best issue of a series I've read this year (Vision excepted), it might, you know, have to do with Charles Soule doing a fantastic job updating the Inhumans and given them modern, fresh stories to work with.

Like seriously the people complaining about the Inhumans - are you even reading the two main books? Because Uncanny is loving fantastic and All-New is a typical team-up book except with an interesting conceit of "following the Terrigen clouds and trying to clean up Black Bolt's mess in our awesome floating ship". gently caress, All-New Inhumans has a couple of mutants in it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

No Inhuman will ever be as terrible as Jubilee.

Too late man, they already made Inhumans that aren't Lockjaw and Ms Marvel.

E:

Toxxupation posted:

Like seriously the people complaining about the Inhumans - are you even reading the two main books?

Yes I am. Uncanny I come very close to liking but it feels like the arcs don't flow together well and the books lose momentum every time an arc changes. All New on the other hand is pretty unremarkable and I don't really care about any of the characters in it.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 22, 2016

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rhyno posted:

No Inhuman will ever be as radical as Jubilee.

:colbert:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Like seriously the people complaining about the Inhumans - are you even reading the two main books?

Well I doubt it, it's dumb to read stuff you don't like.

DrProsek posted:

Yes I am. Uncanny I come very close to liking but it feels like the arcs don't flow together well and the books lose momentum every time an arc changes. All New on the other hand is pretty unremarkable and I don't really care about any of the characters in it.

Hey! Stop reading stuff you don't like!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm definitely not reading Inhumans. Not only do I not really read Marvel I have never been the least bit interested in the concept, or thought any of the characters were interesting in any of the books they popped up in when I did read Marvel.

The closest I have come is I keep meaning to give Ms Marvel a spin because it seems good. I honestly did not know she was an inhuman until just now, though.

It's like Cyborg over at DC, both of them were niche at best until just recently and both feel like a really transparent push from the companies, Inhumans because Marvel has their film rights and Cyborg because DC erased every other black superhero from continuity. If you're a fan of these characters I could see you not caring about the circumstances behind them getting that push, and just being happy to get more good comics starring your faves. More power to you. I hope they stay good for a real long time. It's not something I'm going to suddenly care about, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Did he kiss any of those ladies on screen?

Kissing is not required to be the romantic lead!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Travis343 posted:

You'd get the same reaction if Alpha Flight or The Wild Pack suddenly had three ongoing comic books and somehow a movie on the horizon.

That movie is not going to happen. They de-scheduled it, and Agents of SHIELD this season basically proved that no one cares about Inhumans in the MCU, at least. Combined with the logistical impossibility of making a movie that obeys TV canon events, and the fact that they've developed Inhuman stuff EXCLUSIVELY on TV, there's just no way they'll ever make an Inhumans movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JoshTheStampede posted:

That movie is not going to happen. They de-scheduled it, and Agents of SHIELD this season basically proved that no one cares about Inhumans in the MCU, at least. Combined with the logistical impossibility of making a movie that obeys TV canon events, and the fact that they've developed Inhuman stuff EXCLUSIVELY on TV, there's just no way they'll ever make an Inhumans movie.

It will probably happen eventually and they will 100% ignore Agents of Shield because that's how Marvel Studios is already treating it.

Because it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

X-O posted:

Hey! Stop reading stuff you don't like!

It is too late to stop me, fool! Even as we speak, forces under my command are mobilizing. By the morning, Civil War II: Choosing Sides #1 will be in my possession. Ban me all you like, your meager resistance will only strengthen my resolve!

...I don't dislike Uncanny Inhumans. I just feel like it's a book that could be way better but is held back by its lack of flow. Individual arcs are great, but every time I feel like I'm finally really into the series it suddenly shifts gears radically. All New I indeed stopped reading a few issues ago but I did indeed read it before I started criticizing the current Inhuman series.

• Locked thread