Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

uPen posted:

If you just want a good ww1 game with a veneer of managing your side buy commander the great war.
I'd prefer the opposite.

I totally get that it would not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think at least the basic concept makes sense for the period it's supposed to model. Meanwhile, East vs. West was a game set during the Cold War with apparently the majority of the focus being on warfare and designing ships, rather than internal politics, espionage, and diplomacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

uPen posted:

If you just want a good ww1 game with a veneer of managing your side buy commander the great war.

And if you want to just do the naval part, get Rule the Waves.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

It's funny how often people say this phrase or similar to it about pretty much anything no matter how big or important. (Not directly disagreeing with you in this specific case, just found it funny)
I still think that there are people on CK2 forum arguing for Zanzibar being of vital importance for the economy of Europe to actually work which is obviously why we need to feature it in the game.
And they're right too. Where do you think all that gold came from? :colbert:

No but seriously, spying was not only important, it was also funny as hell a lot of the time. There is the problem of it being often terribad in action tho

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Paradox should integrate cyoa spy-novels into the game as a way to steal blueprints and war plans.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'd prefer the opposite.

I totally get that it would not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think at least the basic concept makes sense for the period it's supposed to model. Meanwhile, East vs. West was a game set during the Cold War with apparently the majority of the focus being on warfare and designing ships, rather than internal politics, espionage, and diplomacy.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-world-order-mod.823674/

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Deceitful Penguin posted:

And they're right too. Where do you think all that gold came from? :colbert:

West Africa?

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Chickpea Roar posted:

Paradox should integrate cyoa spy-novels into the game as a way to steal blueprints and war plans.

Well, this seems like the natural way to go, its just a really long event chain anyway.
Next up microtransaction, "unlock infantry equipment II 0,99$".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

What does a 1946-2100 Victoria mod have to do with anything?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groogy posted:

It's funny how often people say this phrase or similar to it about pretty much anything no matter how big or important. (Not directly disagreeing with you in this specific case, just found it funny)
I still think that there are people on CK2 forum arguing for Zanzibar being of vital importance for the economy of Europe to actually work which is obviously why we need to feature it in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1iCZpFMYd0

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

NO SPRINGS

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So this has little to do with videogames buuuutt.... I just finished watching The Tudors on Netflix. I've already seen both Borgia series, is there anything else I can be watching to wet my Western European historical soap opera whistle?

Wolf Hall

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

West Africa?
Trap sprung, you just admitted that West-Africa was super important, which is not shown in game.

Now you must fall upon your svärd or actually improve it~ (This would be an ideal way to use the prosperity mechanics perhaps?)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What does a 1946-2100 Victoria mod have to do with anything?

it's a game set during the cold war (for one of the two starts, at least) with a focus on internal politics and diplomacy?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Trap sprung, you just admitted that West-Africa was super important, which is not shown in game.

Now you must fall upon your svärd or actually improve it~ (This would be an ideal way to use the prosperity mechanics perhaps?)

Or you know I can just pull my "I am a horrible human being"-card and actively choose not to do it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

it's a game set during the cold war (for one of the two starts, at least) with a focus on internal politics and diplomacy?
I was contrasting my gameplay suggestions relative to the period I wanted a game to cover with East vs. West's gameplay relative to the period it was supposed to cover, trying to point out that I felt the former at least made sense, even if not everyone would want to play that game. That there's a Victoria 2 Cold War mod that has a more appropriate focus than East vs. West isn't particularly relevant to that, I don't think?

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
good news, gamer

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Samog posted:

good news, gamer

I... own that. :negative:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

Or you know I can just pull my "I am a horrible human being"-card and actively choose not to do it.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=484605239

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

If ya wanna kill me I actually am in Skåne's court at 1066.
Also I'm a lot older than 16! I'm 16 and a half :colbert:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Some interesting info about sales

http://www.gamewatcher.com/news/2016-21-06-paradox-interactive-reveals-worldwide-sale-figures-for-stellaris-hearts-of-iron-iv-and-europa-universalis-iv posted:

Paradox Interactive has announced the global sale figures for three of its most important internally developed games, which includes the recently released Stellaris, Hearts of Iron IV and Europa Universalis IV.

Hearts of Iron IV, Paradox’s World War II-themed grand strategy game, has sold over 200,000 copies since its release on 6th June, while Stellaris, the developer’s first sci-fi grand strategy title, has sold over 500,000 copies since 9th May. Finally, the world-conquest grand strategy game, Europa Universalis IV, recently reached the 1 million copies worldwide milestone, which doesn't include sales of expansions and other downloadable content.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I would've thought Hearts of Iron 4 would've blown Stellaris out of the water on sales.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gort posted:

I would've thought Hearts of Iron 4 would've blown Stellaris out of the water on sales.

HOI4 has sold over 200,000 copies in 16 days, a mean of 12,500 copies/day.
Stellaris has sold over 500,000 copies in 44 days, a mean of 11,364 copies/day.

So yeah, it at least outsold Stellaris on a per-day basis, but not really "blown out of the water" proportions. I'd love to see what Stellaris's first month looked like compared to HOI4's first month when that rolls around to give a better indication of how they performed against each other. It would have been interesting to see the sales figures if Stellaris's launch were as smooth as HOI4's was.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Nerds ruin everything.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I wonder how much of Stellaris 500k was pre orders? And how many pre orders HOI IV lost from Stellaris fallout.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Gort posted:

Why would you think a hardcore grog game would outsell a space 4X?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Autonomous Monster posted:

Why would you think a hardcore grog game would outsell a space 4X?

Haha, HoI4 is not a "hardcore grog game" and has never been intended to be one.

My thoughts were mostly based on how well Hearts of Iron 3 did compared to the other Paradox games of the time.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Pharnakes posted:

I wonder how much of Stellaris 500k was pre orders? And how many pre orders HOI IV lost from Stellaris fallout.

I do think that a part of it - although small perhaps - is that people only bought one of the two and then plan to get the other one further on. I was planning to do exactly that until the Paradox curse sunk its claw in me and I bought them both on release day.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Oh, and they've released a free DLC of Swedish music for Europa to celebrate. Neat.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

HOI4 is ludicrously complex compared to just about everything else in the strategy genre. It might not exactly plumb the ultrapelagic depths of grogdom like War in the Pacific or whatever the gently caress, but it's far more grog than what most people are prepared to deal with

Historical is also a much more niche genre than sci-fi. Much more. We're not comparing EU and HOI here, we're comparing Sudden Strike to Starcraft.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Drone posted:

HOI4 has sold over 200,000 copies in 16 days, a mean of 12,500 copies/day.
Stellaris has sold over 500,000 copies in 44 days, a mean of 11,364 copies/day.

So yeah, it at least outsold Stellaris on a per-day basis, but not really "blown out of the water" proportions. I'd love to see what Stellaris's first month looked like compared to HOI4's first month when that rolls around to give a better indication of how they performed against each other. It would have been interesting to see the sales figures if Stellaris's launch were as smooth as HOI4's was.
You can't really compare on a per day basis because the first week is the most purchasingest week for a new game.

The news was Stellaris beat first week records for PDS (Skylines might still hold it for PI?). Even if it isn't total grog HoI4 had a lot smaller potential audience than space 4x which traditionally sell like hot cakes even if they are bad just because it's a popular but underserved genre.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Historical is also a much more niche genre than sci-fi. Much more. We're not comparing EU and HOI here, we're comparing Sudden Strike to Starcraft.

Or say, Company of Heroes to Starcraft.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I considered it, but HOI is further down the grog scale than COH.

My choice of Sudden Strike is FINELY CALIBRATED, PROBABLY :colbert:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Fuligin posted:

Wolf Hall

Thank you so much for this suggestion! Somehow Wolf Hall flew under my radar. It is so good; Damian Lewis should be in every period piece.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 22, 2016

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I considered it, but HOI is further down the grog scale than COH.

My choice of Sudden Strike is FINELY CALIBRATED, PROBABLY :colbert:
Wouldn't Stellaris likewise be further down the grog scale, possibly making the CoH vs. Starcraft comparison valid?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

stellaris is more groogy than groggy

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Wouldn't Stellaris likewise be further down the grog scale, possibly making the CoH vs. Starcraft comparison valid?

Nah, Stellaris is hilariously basic.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Nah, Stellaris is hilariously basic.
Yeah, you're right when it comes to the actual game. I was mostly thinking perceptions though, where it certainly seemed like a decent number of people were a bit weary because they thought Paradox games were super groggy.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

If ya wanna kill me I actually am in Skåne's court at 1066.
Also I'm a lot older than 16! I'm 16 and a half :colbert:
I know, I remember from the LP~

I only did it because I didn't feel like setting up an overthrow ruler faction for a one-off joke when I should already be asleep.
Ironman compatible eh? I'll think about it. I have a huge screen I'm really close to so I never had any problems telling counts and dukes apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
$2.50 for Darkest Hour and its awesome mods? :shepspends: