Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

My CDW guy is saying Skykick is included with the plan. Is it any good for the migration?

Skykick is very good- I did around ~20 migrations with their product. Easy to use, and flexible in terms of how automated you want it and how much user interaction you would like (none is possible). MigrationWiz is another competitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Super Slash posted:

This might be the newbiest question but here goes;

Practically every time anyone uses Outlook 2013 it'll prompt the user for login credentials, and sometimes it'll constantly come back until you've either clicked it to death or restarted the machine. We were originally using Exchange 2010 then migrated to 2013 (on prem) onto a new server, and it's been a bit of a bumpy ride but things are more or less all stable.

But am I right in saying that Outlook shouldn't even have to ask for credentials and just pick them up from your login session right? It's pissing all of the staff off and I was told "You'll only have to login once then it should be done", I'm thinking there's some kind of authentication shenanigans going on.

Okay I'm digging up my old post, but only because I think I've resolved it. Our default Outlook settings are to use Negotiate Authentication and Always prompt for logon credentials is unticked, however the devil in the details was changing the proxy authentication settings to NTLM Authentication.

I haven't checked it company wide, but mine and some new accounts set up connect Outlook no problem with no credential prompt.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

LmaoTheKid posted:

My CDW guy is saying Skykick is included with the plan. Is it any good for the migration?

Skykick is nice, Migrationwiz is nice. I wish their were more statistics and information available on what's going on in the background for when ~Mystery Delays~ show up, but I might just be picky. Hybridizing if you're not willing to leap straight in is another good option, but that terrifies alot of people because it builds a number of moving pieces into mailflow/client access until you've got everyone moved and you decommission, but it makes Exchange treat O365 almost like its just another multirole server in the environment.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You should pursue literally every single alternative before you consider Exchange Hybrid.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

You should pursue literally every single alternative before you consider Exchange Hybrid.

ok why I just did a hybrid a few months ago and it Just Worked

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Because when it doesn't Just Work it's an absolute pain to resolve. I've done a few Hybrids and some go fine, and others require you to correct 8 years of poorly done Exchange upgrades to get to square one.

If it's acceptable to the business to do a cutover then it's worth protecting your liver.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Get-Mailbox | Where {$_.HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled -eq $True} | Select Name, HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled | export-csv .\Desktop\hidden.csv

err mah gerd powershell

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

8 years of poorly done Exchange upgrades

I think this is more the problem than the hybridization process itself. I've had a few where the servers waffled back and forth between being willfully ignored and then furiously messed with, but spending a week doing basic health check stuff and getting it patched up to current fixed all of it.

If your servers are on fire though, yeah, I guess just get the raw email off and flee, that's reasonable.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

JBark posted:

As far as I'm aware, the only way you're going to reclaim actual hard drive space is to either run an offline defrag with eseutil (wheeee!!!), or move every mailbox and then just delete the DB. Pretty sure running an eseutil /d on a DAG will break things and you'll have to reseed afterwards, so that plus the hours/days it takes to run an offline defrag means run away. :)

Edit:
Yeah, to offline defrag with a DAG, you have to remove all copies, take the DB offline, defrag, bring back online, recreate copies. I also found a hilariously complicated process you can use to offline defrag the passive copy to reduce downtime. I recommend not even searching for it if you value your sanity.

Actually, because I enjoy the suffering of others, here the post I found:

Sorry for the late reply to this, I got pulled into a different poo poo storm of a project and Exchange is on the back burner for a bit. Greatly appreciate the response :)

This answer pretty much matches my research and expectations. I want to move all the mailboxes off one of the mailbox databases on each of the affected drives, but I'm being told by our storage/backups team that it will cause issues with over-committed backups as it will be seen as new data.

The client is being moved to Office 365 in the next few months, so if we can keep them limping along until then, the issue will go away. I have moved 400+gigs of mailboxes, so there is enough white space on each mailbox database, that the low disk space should not be a problem except for the monitoring system flagging disk space alerts.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
My main mail relay, AppRiver, is blacklisted from hotmail and live.ca servers. Thanks for that. Looks like send connectors for everyone! :suicide:

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
I'm cleaning up the previous regime's mess, our email retention policy is non-existent. We have tons of mailboxes over 5gb, some over 20, and a couple that are 40 loving gigs. One of them has auto-archiving turned on and the pst is 60 gigs. This is a ticking timebomb.

What are you guys using for on-prem archiving? I'm looking at Enterprise Vault, what are your experiences? Any other suggestions (besides burning down the building and leaving town)?

edit: 250 employees and we have 3TB of mail on our exch server lol

ZetsurinPower fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 27, 2016

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
So I spent 5 hours today trying to wrap my brain around how Calendars work and I think I just don't fundamentally understand how they do or don't function.

I've got a conference room that we'd like to restrict only a certain subset of users to being able to book, DPT-Sales because sales people shouldn't be trusted to tie their shoes in the morning let alone not triple book this conference room. Every time one of them tries to book a reservation for the room we'd like it to go in with a Tentative status so as to show that it has been reserved and that notice should be sent to Bob's mailbox until he approves it.

Set-MailboxCalendarSettings -Identity ConferenceRoom -AutomateProcessing AutoUpdate -AllInBookingPolicy:$false -AllInRequestPolicy:$true -ResourceDelegate Bob
code:
AutomateProcessing                  : AutoUpdate
AllowConflicts                      : False
BookingWindowInDays                 : 180
MaximumDurationInMinutes            : 1440
AllowRecurringMeetings              : True
EnforceSchedulingHorizon            : True
ScheduleOnlyDuringWorkHours         : False
ConflictPercentageAllowed           : 0
MaximumConflictInstances            : 0
ForwardRequestsToDelegates          : True
DeleteAttachments                   : True
DeleteComments                      : True
RemovePrivateProperty               : True
DeleteSubject                       : True
DisableReminders                    : True
AddOrganizerToSubject               : True
DeleteNonCalendarItems              : True
TentativePendingApproval            : True
EnableResponseDetails               : True
OrganizerInfo                       : True
ResourceDelegates                   : {contoso.com/CON - Users/Employees/Bob}
RequestOutOfPolicy                  : 
AllRequestOutOfPolicy               : False
BookInPolicy                        : 
AllBookInPolicy                     : False
RequestInPolicy                     : 
AllRequestInPolicy                  : True
AddAdditionalResponse               : True
AdditionalResponse                  : <DIV><FONT size=2 face=Tahoma>Thank you, 
                                      your request has been received. </FONT></
                                      DIV>
RemoveOldMeetingMessages            : True
AddNewRequestsTentatively           : True
ProcessExternalMeetingMessages      : False
DefaultReminderTime                 : 15
RemoveForwardedMeetingNotifications : False
Identity                            : contoso.com/CON - Users/Utility/Conference Room
Is there a way to allow people to book directly on the Room calendar and have it follow these rules? My users keep trying to directly book onto the calendar and complain that they can't book the room.

Never mind that learning to properly use the scheduling agent or book from your own calendar works fine. If users are provided with Author or above, all meeting requests will automatically be accepted by the room.

This is on Exchange 2007 SP3 :suicide: We have a mix of Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2010 deployed, there may be some Outlook 2007 still floating around, but the vast majority are on 2013.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
Right clicking the calendar and adding an event through Outlook doesn't send a meeting request to the room, so the automatic processing rules won't apply.

The best solution is to have the users use meeting requests. The next best is they talk to/message Bob directly, and he modifies the calendar himself. The third is giving users direct access to the calendar and let them deal with triple booking the resource.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Will Styles posted:

Right clicking the calendar and adding an event through Outlook doesn't send a meeting request to the room, so the automatic processing rules won't apply.

The best solution is to have the users use meeting requests. The next best is they talk to/message Bob directly, and he modifies the calendar himself. The third is giving users direct access to the calendar and let them deal with triple booking the resource.

This is exactly the answer that I expected that I would get, and it's probably 100% correct. :smith:

Even if you right-click and select "New Meeting Request" and select the room that still doesn't send a meeting request to the room?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Resources are meant to be booked by inviting them to events that you create on your own calendar. You're not alone in being asked to give people permission to edit resource calendars directly and then having it cause all sorts of issues, though.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

SeaborneClink posted:

Even if you right-click and select "New Meeting Request" and select the room that still doesn't send a meeting request to the room?

If you're adding the event directly to the room calendar, no it won't send a request to the room it will send a request to everyone else. If you're right clicking your own calendar (or a delegates) and add the room as an attendee then yes it will send a request.

Sorry :smith:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I'm new to Exchange and Windows admin. Sometimes everything seems completely backwards from a design paradigm, but once you understand the mechanisms behind what is actually going on it's like "ohhhhhhh.... Uhh, alright, I guess so.." But I definitely see why anyone would expect to be able to book direct and have things Just Work(tm)

Someone please take me back to Linuxland :yotj:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

By default people shouldn't have permission to throw things directly onto a resource calendar. Once people get their head around the meeting being theirs, and therefore living on their calendar, and picking the room from a list it should get easier. It's even better to arrange the rooms into room lists based on location and then set the attributes correctly and people can give up picking rooms and let the room finder choose for them.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
We have a bunch of poo poo that is, like, sometimes a shared mailbox, and sometimes a mailbox at group@domain.com which does a redirect to a distribution list at group_DL@domain.com. Except the group_DL doesn't accept external mail, so guess what happens when we put group@domain.com on our marketing crap.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
We have the exact same issue. poo poo is scattered across all different mailbox types. The previous IT people had made groups when they wanted distros, and users when they wanted groups, and every combination in between.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

anthonypants posted:

We have a bunch of poo poo that is, like, sometimes a shared mailbox, and sometimes a mailbox at group@domain.com which does a redirect to a distribution list at group_DL@domain.com. Except the group_DL doesn't accept external mail, so guess what happens when we put group@domain.com on our marketing crap.

:wtc:

Please tell me you have a plan to clean that up? Cause I can't imagine supporting it is much fun.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ChubbyThePhat posted:

:wtc:

Please tell me you have a plan to clean that up? Cause I can't imagine supporting it is much fun.
I would very much like to clean up Exchange before we migrate to O365, which will have the added benefit of reducing mailbox licensing costs. But, I think my boss is going to say that if we are going to do that we should do it in conjunction with the migration, and it will be my job to convince him otherwise.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

anthonypants posted:

I would very much like to clean up Exchange before we migrate to O365, which will have the added benefit of reducing mailbox licensing costs. But, I think my boss is going to say that if we are going to do that we should do it in conjunction with the migration, and it will be my job to convince him otherwise.

Shouldn't be too hard to convince him that they at least need to happen at separate intervals. Maybe he'll just want the time allocated to it to be bundled together. I would still rather do it long before hand, but sometimes you take what you can get.

Also I hope none of that mess is public folders cause migrating those was the worst experience ever.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I have a stupid question that I may have asked before, and may have even dealt with in the past, but I can't remember so here it is.

Did a cutover from exch on prem to exch online. Still have on-prem AD. I now need to decom the exchange server and to do that I need to delete all the mailboxes that are on there.

What's the correct way to do this - do I just do a disable-mailbox on everything (which would keep AD account intact)?

What's the cheater way to do this - just shut it down and remove reference from the adsiedit stuff?

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
The correct (MS) way of doing that is just like you said, disable all of the mailboxes, then remove all of the databases, etc. until eventually you uninstall Exchange from the servers.

While it is technically possible to "cheat" it by doing what you said I would put the effort in to do it the right way. If for some reason they ever decide to use on prem Exchange again or some other MS product that is Exchange aware and there's something that was missed in ADSIEdit then you could create huge headaches for yourself or whoever is standing up the new environment.

Edit: And depending on the number of users/servers you'd have to touch to remove all of the properties, it may be faster to do it the right way anyway.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm so scared that if I do "disable mailbox" that it'll affect the user's connection to the exchange online mailbox somehow

but there's nothing in AD attributes that tells it it's o365 right? It just uses UPN which isn't going to get touched bc it's not an exchange property...

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
O365 uses the email field on initial sync and also proxyAddress after the fact.

I'm not sure if this is 'correct' answer but it is something I deal with every day. If the AD email field is filled out on the initial sync it will properly map when you apply the Exchange License. If that's missing then it will apply an email of user@tenant.onmicrosoft.com. you can fix this by updating the proxyAddress to SMTP:user@domain.com and running ADSync again.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I have a stupid question that I may have asked before, and may have even dealt with in the past, but I can't remember so here it is.

Did a cutover from exch on prem to exch online. Still have on-prem AD. I now need to decom the exchange server and to do that I need to delete all the mailboxes that are on there.

What's the correct way to do this - do I just do a disable-mailbox on everything (which would keep AD account intact)?

What's the cheater way to do this - just shut it down and remove reference from the adsiedit stuff?

Just a heads up, depending on your config, the official Microsoft recommendation is to still maintain an on site server to manage the Exchange attributes in AD:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vilath/2015/05/25/office-365-and-dirsync-why-should-you-have-at-least-one-exchange-server-on-premises/

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

Just a heads up, depending on your config, the official Microsoft recommendation is to still maintain an on site server to manage the Exchange attributes in AD:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vilath/2015/05/25/office-365-and-dirsync-why-should-you-have-at-least-one-exchange-server-on-premises/

yeah except the exchange server is hosted and I want to drop that monthly cost.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

yeah except the exchange server is hosted and I want to drop that monthly cost.
Try clicking that link and you'll get to see some words that look like "Well if the following conditions apply you can request an Exchange Hybrid Server product key, with no additional costs"

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

anthonypants posted:

Try clicking that link and you'll get to see some words that look like "Well if the following conditions apply you can request an Exchange Hybrid Server product key, with no additional costs"

ooooh

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

in exchange hybrid - if email is flowing through office 365 mx records to an on-prem mailbox, it will have the default EOP policies applied right?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

ZetsurinPower posted:

I'm cleaning up the previous regime's mess, our email retention policy is non-existent. We have tons of mailboxes over 5gb, some over 20, and a couple that are 40 loving gigs. One of them has auto-archiving turned on and the pst is 60 gigs. This is a ticking timebomb.

What are you guys using for on-prem archiving? I'm looking at Enterprise Vault, what are your experiences? Any other suggestions (besides burning down the building and leaving town)?

edit: 250 employees and we have 3TB of mail on our exch server lol

Just get a barracuda box, configure it, import all the PSTs in the org, and never touch it again.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

in exchange hybrid - if email is flowing through office 365 mx records to an on-prem mailbox, it will have the default EOP policies applied right?

Seems like it.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj723119%28v=exchg.150%29

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Will Styles posted:

The correct (MS) way of doing that is just like you said, disable all of the mailboxes, then remove all of the databases, etc. until eventually you uninstall Exchange from the servers.

While it is technically possible to "cheat" it by doing what you said I would put the effort in to do it the right way. If for some reason they ever decide to use on prem Exchange again or some other MS product that is Exchange aware and there's something that was missed in ADSIEdit then you could create huge headaches for yourself or whoever is standing up the new environment.

Edit: And depending on the number of users/servers you'd have to touch to remove all of the properties, it may be faster to do it the right way anyway.

I did this when I was done migrating on prem 2003 to O365 via the MS tool.

Everything was going great until I went to remove the last Exchange server. Which removed all of the old internal Exchange addressing that the MS tool did not convert and all hell broke loose. I had to do some quick powershell from an export I did pre-migration of all the aliases and put them back. Most of the pain was because our users were supposed to delete and recreate recurring meetings and didn't, so the old rooms, booked with the old aliases, were all broken and everything bounced back.

A 3rd party tool I used to migrate a small subset of users to a different domain translated and removed those aliases.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

SeaborneClink posted:

O365 uses the email field on initial sync and also proxyAddress after the fact.

I'm not sure if this is 'correct' answer but it is something I deal with every day. If the AD email field is filled out on the initial sync it will properly map when you apply the Exchange License. If that's missing then it will apply an email of user@tenant.onmicrosoft.com. you can fix this by updating the proxyAddress to SMTP:user@domain.com and running ADSync again.

Hey so when I disabled the mailboxes it cleared the email field and consequently everyone got an onmicrosoft.com default smtp address. yuck

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Just looking at my current exchange situation and noticed that we're still just stilling on Exchange Server 2013 SP1.

I see we're a number of CU's back. How bad is it going to be going from SP1 to CU5-CU13.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

rotaryfun posted:

Just looking at my current exchange situation and noticed that we're still just stilling on Exchange Server 2013 SP1.

I see we're a number of CU's back. How bad is it going to be going from SP1 to CU5-CU13.

I don't recall anything breaking in between. Go hogwild.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Next question: they all need to be installed one at a time correct? I can't just install 13 and call it good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
You can install just CU13 and that will include everything up to it. It's a cumulative update.