Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Peanut3141 posted:

Since you seem to use a lot of cabling at work, is there a manufacturer that you are a fan of?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12784

Like he said though, basically any adapter will work and StarTech is fine for this. I wouldn't spend more for a different brand; sometimes I get Accell adapters at work but that's just because sometimes they're the cheaper ones from our vendors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

It's here https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-STRIX-Graphic-STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING/dp/B01HDUVJ1I :dance:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Peanut3141 posted:

Since you seem to use a lot of cabling at work, is there a manufacturer that you are a fan of?

For some reason there's always someone pushing Accell products in the comments sections when I'm looking at CableMatters or StarTech products. Yet I've never had a problem with CM or ST products that I've bought. Is Accell really better or are they the $100 Monster HDMI cables from Best Buy?

I have no idea with Accell. Cables and adapters are so full of poo poo its unbelievable, and its unfortunate too because there are plenty of shoddy and crappy products as well so its always difficult or nearly impossible to tell what one should buy. Sometimes its literally the same product in different packaging, sometimes it looks exactly the same but there are key differences in design or workmanship that make or break it. And add on top of that the fact that even if something is lovely, enough of them work out to skew reviews in their favor.

For what its worth, back in the day I used to work in A\V which used a lot of cables and adapters. There were some cables they did not skimp on, and there were plenty they just bought bargain priced versions by the truckload. All passive digital computer cables or adapters were always in that cheap category. But something as simple as VGA cables or adapters were not the cheapest you could find because those would actually cause problems. Active adapters or extenders of any sort are a minefield of lovely garbage that barely works. But passive digital stuff I personally would recommend whatever is cheapest as long as it doesn't have some wonky joint or flex in them (and like I said above, I greatly prefer cable style adapters for displayport).

Basically, no, I would not purchase a "high end" passive DP/HDMI/Single link DVI adapter of any kind

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bleh Maestro posted:

Wow NewEgg must have gotten some stock of the MSI Gaming 1070's. They're still in stock!!

So tempted to buy...but need to control myself. Do I REALLY need to go from a 970 to a 1070 RIGHT NOW? (god I wan to :smith:)

I know the temptation currently have a 970 as well. Though , I gave In and went for the 1080. :devil:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I have no idea with Accell. Cables and adapters are so full of poo poo its unbelievable, and its unfortunate too because there are plenty of shoddy and crappy products as well so its always difficult or nearly impossible to tell what one should buy. Sometimes its literally the same product in different packaging, sometimes it looks exactly the same but there are key differences in design or workmanship that make or break it. And add on top of that the fact that even if something is lovely, enough of them work out to skew reviews in their favor.

For what its worth, back in the day I used to work in A\V which used a lot of cables and adapters. There were some cables they did not skimp on, and there were plenty they just bought bargain priced versions by the truckload. All passive digital computer cables or adapters were always in that cheap category. But something as simple as VGA cables or adapters were not the cheapest you could find because those would actually cause problems. Active adapters or extenders of any sort are a minefield of lovely garbage that barely works. But passive digital stuff I personally would recommend whatever is cheapest as long as it doesn't have some wonky joint or flex in them (and like I said above, I greatly prefer cable style adapters for displayport).

Basically, no, I would not purchase a "high end" passive DP/HDMI/Single link DVI adapter of any kind

At work our supplier can only do one sort of cheap DisplayPort cable which has connectors that fall apart completely after 12-18 months of use so we've been buying murderously expensive HP branded passive DisplayPort to DVI converters and connecting up that way. Unfortunately the newer HP displays have completely dropped DVI so that won't work for much longer.

The latching mechanism on DisplayPort really seems to cause more harm than good - they should have just gone with an HDMI style push in.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

dissss posted:

At work our supplier can only do one sort of cheap DisplayPort cable which has connectors that fall apart completely after 12-18 months of use so we've been buying murderously expensive HP branded passive DisplayPort to DVI converters and connecting up that way. Unfortunately the newer HP displays have completely dropped DVI so that won't work for much longer.

The latching mechanism on DisplayPort really seems to cause more harm than good - they should have just gone with an HDMI style push in.

I'm with you on this specifically with displayport, especially if you disconnect them often enough. Displayport has quite a few annoying quirks in general, but for home use I'd still buy startech or monoprice or whatever. I'm sure from a company standpoint we still buy the cheapos because frankly all it takes is one person to yank on it "wrong" or not push the button far enough and poof, its done, and then that becomes a cost benefit thing.

Although I've seen enough shredded HDMI cables to know why they wanted a mechanical latch, the implementation has been poor across the board. And frankly, making every single cable latch mechanism more robust when in all liklihood it'll be used like two times is a tough sell for a manufacturer as it is. Its sad how much more resilient thumb screw cables are to anything else we've come up with. You could probably swing around a laptop with a VGA cable screwed in and it'll be fine lol

I always wished these cables were simply round, like a laptop power plug. They seem to be the best shape to prevent the largest variety of oopsies as long as the barrel itself isnt too long.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 22, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

You could probably swing around a laptop with a VGA cable screwed in and it'll be fine lol

Yep.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I have no idea with Accell.

Accell is about the only company on Amazon that has DisplayPort VESA Certification. So, you are at least paying for the fact that you KNOW it will work.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SlayVus posted:

Accell is about the only company on Amazon that has DisplayPort VESA Certification. So, you are at least paying for the fact that you KNOW it will work.

Do their 3m and longer cables still support all four lanes?

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
I ordered a MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G from Newegg earlier today, and I just got an email that they cancelled the order, even after taking the money :(

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

moostaffa posted:

I ordered a MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G from Newegg earlier today, and I just got an email that they cancelled the order, even after taking the money :(

the regular gaming 8g is still available. looks like the only difference is price (cheaper) and the out of box core clocks which you could probably tune after you get it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127955

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

xthetenth posted:

Do their 3m and longer cables still support all four lanes?

Only thing I can tell you that is that the 3m ultraAV cable is certified.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098HVXVQ

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

an iksar monk posted:

I know the temptation currently have a 970 as well. Though , I gave In and went for the 1080. :devil:

Same here! I was coming from 970 SLI but I sold one a few weeks ago and my MSI Gaming 1080 I ordered Friday from Newegg was delivered today. Can't wait to get home and fire it up! Then it's time to unload the 970.

Was it really necessary? Nah. I bought the 970's several months apart from each other, and after selling them, the 1080 was only another $150. So it doesn't seem like I spent that much, when you space it out over that much time. At least that's what I'm telling myself to make me feel better :)

First thing I noticed when unboxing was that the 1080 is loving huge and heavy, it seems like my MicroATX motherboard and video card should have their positions switched!

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Smithereens posted:

the regular gaming 8g is still available. looks like the only difference is price (cheaper) and the out of box core clocks which you could probably tune after you get it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127955

I wonder if their system has been bugged out with those 2 cards today? The gaming X finally says out of stock but I've been amazed they were available all day.

E: seemingly available anyway

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
My Gigabyte G1 1070 arrives tomorrow :)

I'm thinking of putting it on eBay with a $100 markup :twisted:

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

I'm excited about the 480. I don't even care if it can OC to 1500+ and nip at the heels of a 1070. I'm on a 1080p screen and I'm not exactly rich. I'm currently running a 280x that I bought used for 140. Because of mining, I suppose, I can still sell this card for around 140 on ebay. That makes an upgrade to a 480 8GB card only 80 dollars. I'm sure there are many people in my shoes who want HD gaming at high and ultra res in AAA games but just can't scrape up nearly double the money for a 1070. I think AMD has a winner on their hands. It reminds me of the 4870 days. Yeah, the Geforce 280 was faster, but cost so much more that it was out of reach for a majority of gamers.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

dissss posted:

I don't get why DisplayPort is used at all anymore now that Mini DisplayPort exists. Does it have any advantages other than the secure latching if you want that for some reason?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Got the card into my shopping cart. Stopped to change from debit to credit. Before I finished it had run out of stock. :argh:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Mad_Lion posted:

I'm excited about the 480. I don't even care if it can OC to 1500+ and nip at the heels of a 1070. I'm on a 1080p screen and I'm not exactly rich. I'm currently running a 280x that I bought used for 140. Because of mining, I suppose, I can still sell this card for around 140 on ebay. That makes an upgrade to a 480 8GB card only 80 dollars. I'm sure there are many people in my shoes who want HD gaming at high and ultra res in AAA games but just can't scrape up nearly double the money for a 1070. I think AMD has a winner on their hands. It reminds me of the 4870 days. Yeah, the Geforce 280 was faster, but cost so much more that it was out of reach for a majority of gamers.

This is basically me right now.

I'm on a 1080p 21:9 Ultrawide that I got on sale for $270. I love it, but a 1070 is probably overkill. The 480 is literally right up my alley, especially because I might be able to get a modest overclock out of it. That it ALSO provides freesync, which my monitor supports, is extra incentive. Basically, the 480 8GB is made for people like me who can't afford to dump $400 on a video card right now. (Some day, perhaps, but not right now.) I'm hoping it lives up to the 980 (non-Ti) level of performance that it seems it should. If it does, I'm happy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

OhFunny posted:

My Gigabyte G1 1070 arrives tomorrow :)

I'm thinking of putting it on eBay with a $100 markup :twisted:

After ebay fees and shipping wouldn't you barely come out ahead? Just use the card.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Mad_Lion posted:

I play on a 1080p screen as well and look forward to the 480, not because it would be a nice upgrade but later this year I may go for a VR toy.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Eletriarnation posted:

I don't get why DisplayPort is used at all anymore now that Mini DisplayPort exists. Does it have any advantages other than the secure latching if you want that for some reason?

I don't think Mini DisplayPort needs to exist either, because it is supported over USB-C. Are there any disadvantages to a certified USB-C cable? Does it have more crosstalk over long runs or anything?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

I don't think Mini DisplayPort needs to exist either, because it is supported over USB-C. Are there any disadvantages to a certified USB-C cable? Does it have more crosstalk over long runs or anything?

USB-C is a place where specs go to get violated worse than DP.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Regardless of which 480 rumors are true it should be a $200 card that can max out 1080p, moving gaming rigs that crush consoles in performance down to a lower price point. That can only be a good thing for the PC gaming market as a whole.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mad_Lion posted:

I'm excited about the 480. I don't even care if it can OC to 1500+ and nip at the heels of a 1070

I am too. I'm upgrading my whole system -- mostly in advance of the new Deus Ex game -- and am looking at a new monitor as well as a new GPU. An RX 480 and a 2560x1440 monitor with freesync/ips/144hz nets out significantly cheaper than a 1070 or 1080 and a 2560x1440 monitor with Gsync/ips/144hz, and that's not even factoring in that the new Deus Ex game is claiming it will be be optimized for AMD and include DX12 support at launch.

I mean, I could theoretically buy the Gsync monitor and the 1080. But I'd rather have, you know, four hundred dollars.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Eletriarnation posted:

All I know is all the HP gear we buy comes with full sized DisplayPorts and no other digital video connections. This is everything from desktops to docks to 12" laptops, the only exception is the HP Surface clone which has USB C instead (dock is still full sized DisplayPort)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EdEddnEddy posted:

But dammit it is 2016 and we have been through DX 10 and 11 and onto 12. Freaking A we need a Freespace 3 or 1/2 redux or whatever with some high end super space graphics dammit. Space in games like Elite Dangerous is goregous and in VR its 10X better.

Descent/Freespace were an Interplay property and ownership of Interplay properties got massively hosed up when they went bankrupt. We are seriously no-poo poo lucky that they ever made it to GOG.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I am too. I'm upgrading my whole system -- mostly in advance of the new Deus Ex game -- and am looking at a new monitor as well as a new GPU. An RX 480 and a 2560x1440 monitor with freesync/ips/144hz nets out significantly cheaper than a 1070 or 1080 and a 2560x1440 monitor with Gsync/ips/144hz, and that's not even factoring in that the new Deus Ex game is claiming it will be be optimized for AMD and include DX12 support at launch.

I mean, I could theoretically buy the Gsync monitor and the 1080. But I'd rather have, you know, four hundred dollars.

I don't know if a stock RX480 will be able to drive 1440 @ 144 fps constantly though - even with AMD optimizations and the theoretical edge in DX12. I'd say hold off on RX480 reviews to see how well it overclocks if you're set on that path.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Seamonster posted:

I don't know if a stock RX480 will be able to drive 1440 @ 144 fps constantly though - even with AMD optimizations and the theoretical edge in DX12. I'd say hold off on RX480 reviews to see how well it overclocks if you're set on that path.

You must also look at the freesync range if its 38-144 then who cares if it can't hit 144hz at 1440p.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
For some perspective I'm upgrading from a ten year old Dell 1920x1200 monitor (the 2405fpw) -- I don't need bleeding edge performance, I just figured it was time to upgrade when I realized all the new video cards that were coming out no longer had ports that my monitor even knew how to plug into.

edit: checking my newegg order history, the last time I got a new graphics card was in 2013 right before Bioshock Infinite came out.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 23, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

There's also a huge difference between being cool with 144 Hz on games that aren't demanding and wanting it on every game you play. I'm cool with freesync a bit below 60 fps on my most demanding games, so I can see the draw of saving a pile.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist
There was a 1080 FE and two 1070 FEs at the Best Buy I just left. I thought briefly about "investing", but ... FEs... :-p

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
My GTX 1080 came in today. Here is a benchmark that is kind of interesting for some people that I haven't seen anyone else do:

Batman Arkham Knight - all settings to max including gameworks, 3440 x 1440

GTX 980 TI:

Min - 28
Max - 81
Average - 54

GTX 980 TI with a GTX 960 dedicated to PhysX

Min - 31
Max - 86
Average - 64

GTX 1080:

Min - 36
Max - 94
Average - 66

I had to ship out the 960 before the 1080 came in so I can't see if dedicating it makes much difference but I can't imagine that it does.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm impressed that the 960 helped that much at all!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Durinia posted:

There was a 1080 FE and two 1070 FEs at the Best Buy I just left. I thought briefly about "investing", but ... FEs... :-p

What brand?

edit: drat, bestbuy changed their stock checker. Was gonna figure out who had stock in my area.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 23, 2016

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist
They were the nvidia direct branded.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Oh my god

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

God dammit I almost have to rage buy an X34 and 1080.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Why does this even *exist*?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
because wccftech?