Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Is there any podcasts that focus on crimes that aren't murder/death? Like bank heists prison escapes etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Harminoff posted:

Is there any podcasts that focus on crimes that aren't murder/death? Like bank heists prison escapes etc.

Criminal is close to this.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

ChetReckless posted:

Amy Webb (from the above video) was on The Allusionist somewhat recently: episode 29 in February, to be specific.

Good episode, great podcast.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Socrates16 posted:

I have two podcast requests:

1. A car podcast.

You might like Everyday Driver Car Debate

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Any recommendations for good current news podcasts? There's gotta be something better than "Amanpour". I'm down with Axelrod and the Axe Files though, even if he annoys the gently caress out of me every other episode.
KCRW's To The Point is quite good.
Vox's The Weeds does good in-depth wonkery, though its status quo bias sometimes leaves it more like wankery.
Foreign Affairs's The World Next Week has an awesome overview of events going on around the world.

I need something less serious to listen to, but I've been completely unable to get into Welcome to Night Vale, Lore, or Unexplained.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Invisible Ted posted:

I'm looking for some new podcasts with long backlogs of episodes, anything covering investigative journalism, philosophy, news, politics, etc.
Chapo Trap House only has like 12 episodes so far, but if you want your current events podcasts to be funny and brutal towards awful people in news and journalism while also having hosts who know what they're talking about, then it should be right up your alley.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Cugel the Clever posted:

I need something less serious to listen to, but I've been completely unable to get into Welcome to Night Vale, Lore, or Unexplained.

Maybe try The Black Tapes?

For non-supernatural, have you tried The Dollop? Or an Earwolf show, like Spontaneanation, Comedy Bang Bang, Who Charted, How Did This Get Made or Improv4Humans? Or Doug Loves Movies?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's really irresponsible to recommend the Black Tapes instead of Archive 81.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ChetReckless posted:

Amy Webb (from the above video) was on The Allusionist somewhat recently: episode 29 in February, to be specific.

That was it, thanks!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Wooden Overcoats, eos10, Answer Me This.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Franchescanado posted:

For non-supernatural, have you tried The Dollop?

Yeah, I listened to The Dollop before I listened to Lore and it ruined the latter for me because it had already covered a lot of stories that Lore mentioned only it was way more entertaining having two comedian friends goofing about how dumb people used to be than some awkward writer by himself play-acting like it was real and shilling for his book.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's really irresponsible to recommend the Black Tapes instead of Archive 81.

Tried the first couple episodes of Archive 81 and ran into the same thing that turned me off WtNV and Lore—I get that they feel the need to overact because audio is the only medium they have, but it's a bit too off-putting. Also doesn't help that the protagonist immediately exhibits a complete lack of common sense.

The Black Tapes does come off as more natural, or at least fits typical NPR-style dialog. I'm about halfway through the first season.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cugel the Clever posted:

Tried the first couple episodes of Archive 81 and ran into the same thing that turned me off WtNV and Lore—I get that they feel the need to overact because audio is the only medium they have, but it's a bit too off-putting. Also doesn't help that the protagonist immediately exhibits a complete lack of common sense.

The Black Tapes does come off as more natural, or at least fits typical NPR-style dialog. I'm about halfway through the first season.

My only issue with The Black Tapes was the amount of coincidences. I can still enjoy it and play along, because I like the mixing of actual supernatural ideas with an X-Files plot line, and the voice acting is pretty good. You just have to suspend your disbelief for it.

They took such a long time in between seasons 1 and 2, that I haven't even started the second season. I'm waiting for Halloween to binge.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Franchescanado posted:

My only issue with The Black Tapes was the amount of coincidences. I can still enjoy it and play along, because I like the mixing of actual supernatural ideas with an X-Files plot line, and the voice acting is pretty good. You just have to suspend your disbelief for it.

They took such a long time in between seasons 1 and 2, that I haven't even started the second season. I'm waiting for Halloween to binge.

Might as well wait longer. They just got back from a 4 month mid season hiatus. Tanis as officially overtaken them in episodes.

Cugel the Clever posted:

What are you looking for exactly it generally?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Wow 99% invisible is good.
I never gave it a try because the description of the podcast felt a bit vague. But the subjects they talk about are all interesting and it feels very well researched.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
I could listen to Roman Mars read a loving phone book.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hey. So I've used the native apple podcast for ages now without issue despite it not being all that good but it was serviceable enough for me since I didn't expect much out of it.

I've an iphone 4 and it's stuck on update 7.1.2 and I cannot at all get it to download things any more (though I can still stream at least). I don't want a solution for it but rather a good podcast app to replace it. I've looked at Overcast but I need iOS 9 to get it. Anyone know of anything I could actually download with my old technology? It doesn't even have to be free I can spare a few bucks if I have to.

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 16, 2016

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Anyone know a good show on gardening, maybe a bit on the nerdy/technical side? Maybe they talk about nutrients in the soil or what happens when compost breaks down, that sort of stuff.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Hello. I searched through the thread, but could not find anything. If Hollywood Handbook is my favorite thing in the world, what else should I be listening too? I only have like 10 left. :sadpeanut:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
May seem obvious, but have you tried any of Earwolf's shows? They have a lot of character based improv shows: Improv4Humans, Comedy Bang Bang, Spontaneanation

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Franchescanado posted:

May seem obvious, but have you tried any of Earwolf's shows? They have a lot of character based improv shows: Improv4Humans, Comedy Bang Bang, Spontaneanation

No I have not. I was thinking them as well, but it seems like they have 100 shows. I didn't even know how to describe what I liked, but you are correct. I want character based improv, but where they are not letting you in on the joke. I will try some of those out. Thanks!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Snowmankilla posted:

No I have not. I was thinking them as well, but it seems like they have 100 shows. I didn't even know how to describe what I liked, but you are correct. I want character based improv, but where they are not letting you in on the joke. I will try some of those out. Thanks!

You can to the shows threads. Everyone is happy to give best-of lists for episodes of each show, especially for CBB.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

So go to the earwolf thread? Or for a specific show?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Snowmankilla posted:

Character based improve? Point VS Point would have you covered.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Snowmankilla posted:

So go to the earwolf thread? Or for a specific show?

I don't think it matters

:justpost:

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

101 posted:

I don't think it matters

:justpost:

Ha. Thanks. I am going to try the 4 posted. I am not going to lie, seeing like 300-400 episodes I am behind freaks me out a bit. I got into HH last year, and it took at least a year to get through 100 and some. Hopefully I will not like all 4 of these? Wanting to be a completionist will probably kill me at this point.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Snowmankilla posted:

Ha. Thanks. I am going to try the 4 posted. I am not going to lie, seeing like 300-400 episodes I am behind freaks me out a bit. I got into HH last year, and it took at least a year to get through 100 and some. Hopefully I will not like all 4 of these? Wanting to be a completionist will probably kill me at this point.

Yeah I struggle with this too.

Got a book, video game, podcast, TV show, anime backlog to last me… well, probably far too much of my free time

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Snowmankilla posted:

I'd ask for CBB in the CBB thread, and then the other shows in the Earwolf thread.

Don't be a completionist on it. CBB didn't hit a strong stride until about a year in. Listen to some great episodes that are recommended, and then find a comedian or character you like and go to their beginning. It's not linear at all, and some of the funniest moments are characters trying to justify a character break.

They also do Best Of episodes every year. You can listen to those and find something that works,.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

After hopping around with the suggestions I think I like CBB style the most. Interviews where improv happens, but no everyone is playing. I will check out some best ofs and see where to go. Thanks.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to whoever recommended Amicus and Lexicon Valley. Both are really good, especially the latter.

Recommending Keepin it 1600, a political podcast by John Favreau and Dan Pfeifer, two of Obama' speechwriters. Primarily focused on the ongoing election cycle, which they address from a position of substantial experience. They also have great guests who interview well.

It's a little insidery, might help to have a little experience in politics, be conversant in how polling works, etc., but it's not really a turnoff to newcomers, i don't think.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended Amicus and Lexicon Valley. Both are really good, especially the latter.

Recommending Keepin it 1600, a political podcast by John Favreau and Dan Pfeifer, two of Obama' speechwriters. Primarily focused on the ongoing election cycle, which they address from a position of substantial experience. They also have great guests who interview well.

It's a little insidery, might help to have a little experience in politics, be conversant in how polling works, etc., but it's not really a turnoff to newcomers, i don't think.

If you are going to listen to Keepin' it 1600, which is one of the best political podcasts, you need to listen to its evil twin Chapo Trap House. Add Political Gabfest and you have all three "ideologies" of the Left covered. Except minority, but you can fill that in with Benjamin Dixon and slate's talk about race.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Chapo Trap House is essential listening.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

For some reason, when I try to add the following rss-feed to gpodder/iTunes, it always comes up empty

http://www.pbsfm.org.au/taxonomy/term/658/all/feed

just me, or what's going on here?

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

What are some good science or history podcasts that don't just regurgitate TED talks and aren't "baby's first interesting subject"?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hey. So I've used the native apple podcast for ages now without issue despite it not being all that good but it was serviceable enough for me since I didn't expect much out of it.

I've an iphone 4 and it's stuck on update 7.1.2 and I cannot at all get it to download things any more (though I can still stream at least). I don't want a solution for it but rather a good podcast app to replace it. I've looked at Overcast but I need iOS 9 to get it. Anyone know of anything I could actually download with my old technology? It doesn't even have to be free I can spare a few bucks if I have to.

I thought that if you went to the App Store on your iPhone4 it would let you download an old version of Overcast.
Been a while since I did that, though.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

~Coxy posted:

I thought that if you went to the App Store on your iPhone4 it would let you download an old version of Overcast.
Been a while since I did that, though.

I didn't have much luck but I realized that my problem came from having no storage space left like a dolt. The thing's working fine now it seems.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Gyre posted:

What are some good science or history podcasts that don't just regurgitate TED talks and aren't "baby's first interesting subject"?

Science Vs. should fit the bill, new season starts next week.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

counterpunch.org has a podcast, re:political podcast. just listened to the last episode about environment & capitalism, interesting.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

evilpicard posted:

Science Vs. should fit the bill, new season starts next week.

FINALLY. I thought they were done-for. I love Wendy Zukerman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
is mystery show ever coming back?