Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Escobarbarian posted:

Apparently it was always planned for this to be the last season. Or at least since sometime last year.

I'm not sure how easy that is to believe given how much Green's final scene looked like a reshoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Escobarbarian posted:

Apparently it was always planned for this to be the last season. Or at least since sometime last year.

Oh my sweet summer child.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

HBO came to their senses and decided to cancel Vinyl season 2 even when they announced it was renewed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

less laughter posted:

Oh my sweet summer child.

I don't watch the show. I just saw lots of articles after the finale with John Logan saying this was always the plan. Sorry if believing what a creator says about his own show makes me some kind of gullible idiot.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Escobarbarian posted:

I don't watch the show. I just saw lots of articles after the finale with John Logan saying this was always the plan. Sorry if believing what a creator says about his own show makes me some kind of gullible idiot.

It was all PR speak to save face and not throw Showtime, which he has a lucrative development deal with, under the bus. The season finale ended in medias res for the entire cast save for two characters (John and Vanessa) and set up storylines for 3 more seasons. The show was prematurely canceled, mercilessly.

less laughter fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 22, 2016

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Not at all, it's just a lot harder to believe having watched it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

less laughter posted:

It was all PR speak to save face and not throw Showtime, which he has a lucrative development deal with, under the bus. The season finale ended in medias res for the entire cast save for two characters (John and Vanessa) and set up storylines for 3 more seasons. The show was prematurely canceled, mercilessly.

Three more seasons is a massive stretch. I'd be curious to hear what you think those storylines are.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aphrodite posted:

There's one guy who posts here a lot who won't watch a show until he knows it's renewed.

So maybe there's more of him.

I don't do that deliberately or anything but a lot of the time I have like 10 shows I want to check out and I only get to half of them until finally they add up and I say "eh, I'll check back on that at the end of the season and binge it if it has good reviews/gets renewed."

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ShakeZula posted:

Three more seasons is a massive stretch. I'd be curious to hear what you think those storylines are.

One centered around Jekyll/Hyde as the main villain, now that he was just about to start developing his potions, one centered around the mummy from Egypt that Lyle set off for as the main villain, and one centered around the battle against the time travelers creeping in from the future to mess things up (of which Catriona was the precursor). With Brona/Lily, Frankenstein, Malcolm, Ethan & Kaetenay, John, Dorian, Dr. Seward etc.'s continuing storylines all built upon further during those seasons, since there was still so much untapped potential in those as well.

less laughter fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 22, 2016

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

less laughter posted:

One centered around Jekyll/Hyde as the main villain, now that he was just about to start developing his potions, one centered around the mummy from Egypt that Lyle set off for as the main villain, and one centered around the battle against the time travelers creeping in from the future to mess things up (of which Catriona was the precursor). With Brona/Lily, Frankenstein, Malcolm, Ethan & Kaetenay, John, Dorian, Dr. Seward etc.'s continuing storylines all built upon further during those seasons, since there was still so much untapped potential in those as well.

I'll grant you that Jekyll/Hyde could possibly have been a compelling storyline for a season, though a massive step down in power from Lucifer/witches/Dracula (and with a far less personal motivation). The mummy and time travelers things are pure fan invention with almost no basis in the show. Lyle going to Egypt was the show giving him an ending of sorts and opening the door for Catriona as the Dracula expert who is also a capable fighter for the finale. Her last name was just a nod to Logan's previous work, and to take it as the foundation of a future time travel plot is a huge reach.

Pretty much everybody got as much of an ending/resolution as they were ever going to get, and I don't see a lot of ongoing storylines for them to explore in most of those cases.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Who decided to make a Lost parody in the year of our lord 2016?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzwxEqqvsCQ

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

Who decided to make a Lost parody in the year of our lord 2016?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzwxEqqvsCQ

More like a reboot of Gilligan's Island.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

Because the series failed, but saying "We have a new staff, we'll do it right" acknowledges that and gives the failure time to mellow out a bit. A lot of people will drift away and forget about it after a few months [Because, again, the series was a failure], so that when you finally say "Yeah it's cancelled" it makes less of an impact. It going to poo poo and being immediately cancelled turns it into a bigger deal. Not like it cost them much of anything to wait a bit.
Aren't the cast and crew prohibited from trying to find other work while the show is fake renewed? Do they even get paid for that period?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Some of the trailers just seemed really off given how many plane crashes are killing a ton of people this last few years.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

EL BROMANCE posted:

Some of the trailers just seemed really off given how many plane crashes are killing a ton of people this last few years.

Fox is making a show where a privatized police force is portrayed as A Good Thing and movie studios are making a Death Wish reboot starring Bruce Willis, it's hard to top that.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Bill Simmons show was good. I recommend watching it, especially if you like Charles Barkley. Dude always owns.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I believe nobody should watch Bill Simmons.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I believe nobody should read your posts but here we are :colbert:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Veskit posted:

At least they're all only one line long

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Aphrodite posted:

Bill Simmons is the Skip Bayless of hosts. You can quote me on this one.

Mu Zeta posted:

HBO came to their senses and decided to cancel Vinyl season 2 even when they announced it was renewed.

This is a shame if only because Olivia Wilde and Ray Romano were actually acting their asses off. I like Bobby Cannavale but Richie Finestra was completely and totally unlikable and made Tony Soprano seem like a stand up guy by comparison and that's impressive.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

It was the worst HBO show I've ever seen, and probably the worst 'prestige' show too.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Oh my god Feed the Beast might be the worst thing I've ever seen AMC produce. It's just terrible all the way around.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Vanderdeath posted:

Bill Simmons is the Skip Bayless of hosts. You can quote me on this one.

The gently caress is Skip Bayless then?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

whowhatwhere posted:

The gently caress is Skip Bayless then?

The Caligula of hosts.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bill Simmons hosted a few shows on his Grantland site and they were terrible. He's one of the worst movie reviewers too.

"Yeah I didn't like it that much. She's usually a good actor but I don't know what happened. Yep, didn't like it."

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Das Boot sequel series incoming

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-+Television%29

Not sure how the broadened focus will work, the claustrophobia of being on the sub was a major part of the original.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Mann posted:

I enjoy it for what it is but the swearing is so forced that it actually make me appreciate broadcast television more. Especially when it's coming from someone whose costume is even lower budget than that 90's Disney Channel movie where Sherman Hemsley is a superhero grandpa and Sharlto Copley's American accent is falling apart with every syllable.

I don't care, it's the best superhero show currently airing.

His accent is fine, people talk weird from the US too.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Boogaleeboo posted:

Because the series failed, but saying "We have a new staff, we'll do it right" acknowledges that and gives the failure time to mellow out a bit. A lot of people will drift away and forget about it after a few months [Because, again, the series was a failure], so that when you finally say "Yeah it's cancelled" it makes less of an impact. It going to poo poo and being immediately cancelled turns it into a bigger deal. Not like it cost them much of anything to wait a bit.

You're giving HBO too much credit. They are kind of terrible at bringing shows to fruition and keeping them around these days.

Off the top of my head, they've had the David Fincher music video comedy (which didn't sound good tbh) which was scrapped in mid-production, the Utopia adaptation by Fincher which was scrapped shortly before it was supposed to start shooting, a Steve McQueen directed drama which had been greenlit and then they changed their minds and decided not to go for it, the Lewis & Clark miniseries which halted production mid-shoot, and Westworld's well-publicized issues.

Then there's a billion other projects that never went anywhere past a failed pilot. Which would be understandable if the series they were producing were uniformly high quality, but a lot of them have amounted to nothing (Togetherness? Looking? Getting On?).

Then they cancelled The Brink after renewing it and now they've done the same with Vinyl.

It's pretty clear that as a network they don't really know what it is they want to put onscreen and how to get it there, they just seem to be changing their minds about shows they're developing or that are already made at an alarming rate and there's no way so many talented people are producing so many poo poo pilots.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Which would be understandable if the series they were producing were uniformly high quality, but a lot of them have amounted to nothing (Togetherness? Looking? Getting On?).

Getting On was brilliant.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
I don't know how good it was, I've never seen it. But it didn't have a mass audience (insanely low ratings) nor much of a critical audience either (good reviews, but was not the kind of show you were hearing about everywhere despite its ratings). It just quietly and harmlessly existed, then didn't anymore.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pedro De Heredia posted:

the Utopia adaptation by Fincher which was scrapped shortly before it was supposed to start shooting

Still mad about this

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://www.avclub.com/article/matthew-mcconaughey-and-nic-pizzolatto-might-be-pl-238660

Uhh, sure Matt.

Matthew McConaughey and Nic Pizzolatto are talking about a sequel to season 1 of True Detective.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Veskit posted:

You would like a sad old guy trying desperately to be hip.

And still thinks 'hip' is the right word to use there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bring back old gbs posted:

Why does HBO do this? The renewed lol j/k cancelled thing? Why not just wait a few months until they actually know what they want to do? They did the same thing with that Jack Black war comedy last year.

I might be the only person to really miss this show. Really underrated and completely different than anything else you'd see on TV.

PriorMarcus posted:

It was the worst HBO show I've ever seen, and probably the worst 'prestige' show too.

I never watched it, but is true that it was set in 1974, and was about a burgeoning music scene that didn't include funk or disco? I saw the photo of the cast attached to the article and it was extremely lily white.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 23, 2016

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Inspector 34 posted:

Oh my god Feed the Beast might be the worst thing I've ever seen AMC produce. It's just terrible all the way around.

I've seen three episodes and I refuse to believe it's a real TV show. It's somebody's brilliant April Fools day prank gone mad.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

You would like a sad old guy trying desperately to be hip.

And still thinks 'hip' is the right word to use there.

You don't need a hip dude to have a good sports show, just a palatable guy where people can come on and say fun poo poo and swear. It's loving Charles Barkley talking off the cuff what the gently caress more do you want

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GreenNight posted:

https://www.avclub.com/article/matthew-mcconaughey-and-nic-pizzolatto-might-be-pl-238660

Uhh, sure Matt.

Matthew McConaughey and Nic Pizzolatto are talking about a sequel to season 1 of True Detective.

Isn't Pizzolatto the crazy loving a-hole who's the reason season 2 tanked? I thought everyone agreed that Fukugawa's role as director is what made season 1 so special.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

pentyne posted:

Isn't Pizzolatto the crazy loving a-hole who's the reason season 2 tanked? I thought everyone agreed that Fukugawa's role as director is what made season 1 so special.

That's exactly why I'm hoping it happens. The fact that it only took like two years for him to burn his bridges so badly that he's already revisiting his sole success is amazing and worst cast scenario will still be an entertaining fiasco.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mr Robot got an upped episode order from 10 to 12 and an after show Hacking Robot.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/mr-robot-live-show-ordered-905870

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
After shows are a blight on the television landscape.

• Locked thread