Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What in the gently caress.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/475430/

quote:

Prepare yourself for a first person shooter with full motion video cutscenes ! In this game, you will play as a random French Canadian who need to infiltrate a North Korean base with his friend Jesus. Will this dude succeed his quest ?
Find it out in : Kimulator : Fight for your destiny

Warning 1 : This game contains some Dark humor , if you are easily offended , please take that in consideration

Warning 2 : Take in consideration that this game have lots of bugs , and by buying it , you accept to be a beta tester , Thanks :)

The game will offer :

-A free copy of DREAMBLASTER!

-A campaign mode where you will play as a French Canadian and his friend Jesus !

-A 3D platformer where you play as a rabbit !

-Full motion videos

-fast action first person gameplay !

-Full of bonus levels !

-Full of easter eggs !

-Real english actors and voice actors !

-And more !

Well... this is what I call a REAL Kim jong un simulator

On the other hand this review is something else.

quote:

I've constantly been criticized for making comments about the developer and ranting about the "how did this game get on Steam" effect instead of making a review of the actual game, however, there are some games that really need it. This is one of those games.

I used to not give any thought to the terribleness and cancer of Steam after campaigning against it for a while. I just came to accept that we would get the constant crap that comes with weak quality control. This is both good and evil; there are terrible games that are fun and good jokes (see also: Bad Rats, because we all know how amazing THAT phenomenon was), and there are the really bad ones, the cash grabs, that just slip by. This has spawned many memetic reviews on my part, and, to be honest, I just really enjoyed playing these games. It was a fun thing for me to sort my library from the lowest-rated to highest-rated and play the first item on the list.

Now, I've shifted from just a player of games to someone who actually works with a game (and is going to be developing one themself). My viewpoint has really changed and I stand by my anti-crap stance yet again. I see the love developers have for the games that they put effort into. I see the true art that comes out. And, y'know, right now, I feel this insults indie game development as an art.

It's totally unfair to developers that that put time and love and personal sacrifices into their games have to sit next to this 5-minute, 5-dollar, 5-ounce puddle of wank. I genuinely feel really sorry for them. I feel really sorry for the games on Steam that deserve the rewards for having to be a part of a platform where their exposure is taken up by memes and ludicrousness. Saturating Steam with these games wastes resources, time, and pushes the good games that actually matter and need the exposure out of the storefront.

Games like this need to go back to Greenlight and get rejected. Games like this should never be allowed Greenlight at all. I just hope that when I finish my own game, someday, that Valve will have thought some more about the process that goes into getting games on Steam, and, as a result, Steam will have evolved and raised the bar higher than this, giving the attention back to the good games and turning away the developers that produce things like this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

If he's French-Canadian, he should have a fleur-de-lis on his hoodie instead of just CANADA.

breaks my immersion.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Steam reviews should have a character limit.

Also some sort of algorithm that automatically deletes any review that is autobiographical.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Guy Mann posted:

I think the nod that they're mentioning is a part where you visit a bar and they have dozens of drinks that were contributed by Kickstarter backers as pledge rewards.

All I remember of that part is that one of the drinks was a shot of everclear in a glass of chocolate milk and that later on you come back to the bar and the bartender's cute chubby bear boyfriend is working the cash register and gives commentary on every drink you can order.

Yeah, but there's atleast one character from ROM who makes an appearance in Valhalla (and it's unfortunately the worst loving character), and Dana makes references to the other characters of ROM at times as well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Update #1

-Remove White Comic until we are 100% sure they are fine with the fact that I use there song

-Some bugs fixed (Will fix more of them in update #2)

-(french flag emoji)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Jamfrost posted:

I wish I spent my money on the Humble Monthly instead.

Speaking of which, buzzed through a third cooler and WASTED still continues to own and has been the best humble monthly surprise so far

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The Grimace posted:

Yeah, but there's atleast one character from ROM who makes an appearance in Valhalla (and it's unfortunately the worst loving character), and Dana makes references to the other characters of ROM at times as well.

Which character is this? I don't remember any of the regulars being particularly (unintentionally) insufferable.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Jordan7hm posted:

This looks like some high school film project but as a game. I'm so gonna drunk buy this at some point :lol:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jordan7hm posted:

I love FMV games in theory and I legitimately loved Contradiction and Her Story but after paying money for Press X To Not Die I learned my lesson about giving money to FMV games sight-unseen.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop
i legit would like to see some of the sega cd era fmv games get remastered and tossed on steam.

been itching for some sewer shark.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Gomi Day posted:

i legit would like to see some of the sega cd era fmv games get remastered and tossed on steam.

been itching for some sewer shark.

Night Dive Studio is amazing for this, they're single-handedly responsible for working through the rights hell of old FMV games to get The 7th Guest/The 11th Hour/Harvester/Bad Mojo working on modern systems and available on contemporary storefronts.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Guy Mann posted:

I love FMV games in theory and I legitimately loved Contradiction and Her Story but after paying money for Press X To Not Die I learned my lesson about giving money to FMV games sight-unseen.

What's so bad about it? The steam reviews look pretty positive.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

dmboogie posted:

Which character is this? I don't remember any of the regulars being particularly (unintentionally) insufferable.

Jess Meas, the lawyer catgirl whose character revolved around being a gigantic bitch for the sake of being a gigantic bitch as a defense against people she deemed non progressive. She apparently appears at some point in Valhalla- the sprite art by Kiririn51 was released some time before the game was released as another showing of the links between the two games.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 23, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Eldred posted:

What's so bad about it? The steam reviews look pretty positive.

It's nothing but QTE events, it's like 15 minutes long, full of dated pop-culture references, and the story is some :jerkbag: about ~us gamers~ being advanced enough to survive a plague because we're so much smarter than the normies.

The high point of the game is 30 seconds in when he gives his pet cat a snoot boop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOLeCs2udZg

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 23, 2016

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

The Grimace posted:

Jess Meas, the lawyer catgirl whose character revolved around being a gigantic bitch for the sake of being a gigantic bitch as a defense against people she deemed non progressive. She apparently appears at some point in Valhalla- the sprite art by Kiririn51 was released some time before the game was released as another showing of the links between the two games.

I still hate the fact that they made a catgirl who dislikes cat puns. It's just wrong and a waste of a cute character design.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The Grimace posted:

Ah. I played through the entire game and didn't run into her at all.

Looking at the steam achievements there are some characters that make an appearance if you serve the right drink at the right time, I'm assuming she's one of those.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

dmboogie posted:

Looking at the steam achievements there are some characters that make an appearance if you serve the right drink at the right time, I'm assuming she's one of those.

I think there's one if you serve Alma and one if you serve Stella, yeah e: also one for Dana which I think is if you serve a Flaming Moai

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

chumbler posted:

You'd think that if Disgaea 1 sold well they'd be in a bigger hurry to port the much better Disgaea 2, but so it goes.

On the other hand, Phantom Brave is loving amazing.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Freak Futanari posted:

I still hate the fact that they made a catgirl who dislikes cat puns. It's just wrong and a waste of a cute character design.

Everything about her character was awful, whether it was to move the plot forward or not. She existed to be as spiteful as possible as a puzzle for the plot, but she never evolves beyond the frigid personality.

Stella in Valhalla is the complete opposite and she's great.

dmboogie posted:

Oh, huh. That's fascinating. I had no idea she was optional content, which is ambitious, but... still a shame that now I feel like I just got really unlucky and had a worse time in the game, as a complete fluke. I still want to play through ROM again sometime to get the "good" ending, but it's not high on my list. Maybe I will after they add in the voice acting patch they're working on. Or maybe that will drive me away, depending on the quality.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Night Dive Studio is amazing for this, they're single-handedly responsible for working through the rights hell of old FMV games to get The 7th Guest/The 11th Hour/Harvester/Bad Mojo working on modern systems and available on contemporary storefronts.
It's not just rights hell they fight through, but compatibility hell - they had to abandon a release of The Residents' Bad Day On The Midway because literally the only way to get it working would have been to pack in Windows 3.1, and Titanic: Adventure Out of Time is giving them a bunch of trouble right now.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

On the other hand, Phantom Brave is loving amazing.

The updated PSP version is amazing, which I believe this is a port of. The original PS2 game was very rough around the edges.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

GMG 5-pack gave me:

Bridge Constructor (some sort of bridge constructor simulator or something, rated mostly positive overall but mixed lately)
Shattered Haven (puzzle game of some kind, mostly negative)
Steel Storm Burning Retribution (a mixed review shmup)
Data Hacker: Initiation (RPG maker game)
and Call of Duty: Black Ops (which I don't own!)

tempted to do that again but I should probably save my money for the sale. Some dude in the Summer Sale thread got 2 Far Cry Primal's and a Witcher 3 key unless he's photoshopping things~

e: I have no self control and bought another 5 pack, got Bridge Constructor and Shattered Haven again, and the sequel game to Data Hacker (corruption), but I also got The Inner World which is worth 15 bucks and has very positive reviews http://store.steampowered.com/app/251430/

And Incitement 3, another RPG maker game, hooray.

No more of this :v:

Quidthulhu fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 23, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ZZZorcerer posted:

So... we can customize our discovery queues now, besides unchecking "Early Access Products" what tags are you guys blocking?
My name is Ozymandias

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fun Times! posted:

During this sale I'll be on the lookout for fun and easy local coop games to play with my girlfriend who hasn't played a game since the original Sims. Any suggestions?

Hey so I noticed this post getting lost in people wanking off over the bartender game.

Guacamelee is a game that a lot of people enjoy, it's bright and colorful and is basically a metroidvania where all of the characters are luchadores. It offers same-screen coop. The game can be difficult at times, but so long as one of you can defeat a challenge (like say a hard jump) it'll let you continue on. People complain about a difficulty spike later on, so maybe this isn't an optimal choice, but it's a really great couch coop game that isn't too hard to learn. It's been out for awhile, and you should get whatever the most recent release is called (I forget the name of it, but basically they re-released the game and redid a bunch of stuff in good ways)

Helldivers is a really great coop twinstick shooter and should also be pretty easy to learn, it's a more recent game so you may have already heard of it but basically you and up to 3 friends fight hordes of enemies on a shared screen while trying to accomplish various objectives. It takes a very tongue-in-cheek approach to the setting, like if Starship Troopers was even way more self-aware. You can choose what kind of enemies you want to fight based on location, including bugs, robots, etc.

Loves in a Dangerous Spacetime is a bright and colorful game that kind of reminds me of the Space Alert board game, you basically each control a character walking around on a ship in order to use that ship's turrets, engines, shields, etc. Pretty hectic, fun game and it's also got a neat bright and colorful thing going for it, if you don't mind all of the neon. Good coop title in any case.

There's basically all of the LEGO games, which are supposedly great coop but I haven't played any of them

Metal Slug, you probably already know what this game is

People have told me that Magicka is a good coop game, but I haven't played it

FORCED is supposed to be a pretty good coop game but I haven't actually played it

Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara had some forum love for awhile, it's an old-school side-scrolling fighting game but in a D&D setting. Pretty enjoyable overall

.... Gauntlet is apparently on Steam? Classic series, probably good but I don't really know

There's a site called cooptimus which lists basically every coop game for each platform, what kind of coop it offers (couch vs online vs lan or some combo of those, split vs shared screen, etc)

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Ghostlight posted:

My name is Ozymandias

but the steam discovery queue was never great, or even good.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The thing about Helldivers is that if you didn't like Magicka, this game isn't going to change that.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
I don't see a games thread for that bartender game and it's being talked about here so I'll ask...

What drink is that cat eared red headed chick with the robot eye asking for? The drink in honor of a friend. Browsed the whole list, didn't get one clue. Tried the grizzly drink, nada.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Fun Times! posted:

During this sale I'll be on the lookout for fun and easy local coop games to play with my girlfriend who hasn't played a game since the original Sims. Any suggestions?

I like Chariot, it's a pretty simple platformer where you take a King to his rightful burial spot. It's got special challenge routes for two players that are super hard/impossible to do alone, but aren't too bad to do together.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Blackray Jack posted:

I don't see a games thread for that bartender game and it's being talked about here so I'll ask...

What drink is that cat eared red headed chick with the robot eye asking for? The drink in honor of a friend. Browsed the whole list, didn't get one clue. Tried the grizzly drink, nada.

The one you're looking for is Piano Man. I think it is mentioned earlier by another patron as an off hand comment.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!

chumbler posted:

The one you're looking for is Piano Man. I think it is mentioned earlier by another patron as an off hand comment.

Thanks a million pal. Gonna take a break for dishes and launch right back into it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Testekill posted:

Enhanced Edition of Icewind Dale ain't worth it just because of the fact that they added a story mode (As in your party is super overpowered and can easily beat the game with zero difficulty) into a game that is literally a traditional dungeon crawler with no story. Now I can understand something like that in a story orientated RPG but not when the whole game is literally just fighting through various modules.

Icewind Dale actually has a pretty cool story even though your party is just a bunch of faceless adventurers. It pales in comparison to a Baldur's Gate, but you have definitely a reason for exploring, fighting and looting.

I like the last minute plot-twist that the narrator is in fact the main bad guy who is still pretty pissed about being beat by your dudes.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

QuarkJets posted:

Hey so I noticed this post getting lost in people wanking off over the bartender game.

Guacamelee is a game that a lot of people enjoy, it's bright and colorful and is basically a metroidvania where all of the characters are luchadores. It offers same-screen coop. The game can be difficult at times, but so long as one of you can defeat a challenge (like say a hard jump) it'll let you continue on. People complain about a difficulty spike later on, so maybe this isn't an optimal choice, but it's a really great couch coop game that isn't too hard to learn. It's been out for awhile, and you should get whatever the most recent release is called (I forget the name of it, but basically they re-released the game and redid a bunch of stuff in good ways)

Addendum: Make sure to pick the Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition and not Gold Edition, especially if you worry about the difficulty spike. Super Turbo is basically the same game, but it

- added a completely new area and a new fun boss, also one or two new enemy types

- added a new ability called Super Intenso that is basically Goku Mode and it makes those certain difficult boss fights a lot easier

- toned down the dank memes a hell of a lot. There's still some wacky posters around here and there, but not nearly as many as there were in Gold Edition.

Gold Edition is still good in itself, but there's no reason to buy it now that Super Turbo exists.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Quidnose posted:

GMG 5-pack gave me:

Bridge Constructor (some sort of bridge constructor simulator or something, rated mostly positive overall but mixed lately)
Shattered Haven (puzzle game of some kind, mostly negative)
Steel Storm Burning Retribution (a mixed review shmup)
Data Hacker: Initiation (RPG maker game)
and Call of Duty: Black Ops (which I don't own!)

tempted to do that again but I should probably save my money for the sale. Some dude in the Summer Sale thread got 2 Far Cry Primal's and a Witcher 3 key unless he's photoshopping things~

e: I have no self control and bought another 5 pack, got Bridge Constructor and Shattered Haven again, and the sequel game to Data Hacker (corruption), but I also got The Inner World which is worth 15 bucks and has very positive reviews http://store.steampowered.com/app/251430/

And Incitement 3, another RPG maker game, hooray.

No more of this :v:

Well gently caress, they poo poo the bed for me didn't they

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Yo, the summer gift train thread is up and running. Get in there, I chose some gifts specifically for you guys.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Xander77 posted:

Yo, the summer gift train thread is up and running. Get in there, I chose some gifts specifically for you guys.

Nah, we heard ya the first time. Thanks though!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Testekill posted:

Enhanced Edition of Icewind Dale ain't worth it just because of the fact that they added a story mode (As in your party is super overpowered and can easily beat the game with zero difficulty) into a game that is literally a traditional dungeon crawler with no story. Now I can understand something like that in a story orientated RPG but not when the whole game is literally just fighting through various modules.

It's an optional mode, how does that make the EE as a whole "not worth it"?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I really don't want to take this to a Tech topic because like some of those peeps are super anal over this:
I have a US buddy that wants a new card, he was looking at a grabbing a new GTX 750 Ti but it is worth/safe hunting down a used 960? Cash range is $100-$150.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Croccers posted:

I really don't want to take this to a Tech topic because like some of those peeps are super anal over this:
I have a US buddy that wants a new card, he was looking at a grabbing a new GTX 750 Ti but it is worth/safe hunting down a used 960? Cash range is $100-$150.

I would suggest having him wait a bit for the 480 to drop; it's set to be about $200 and have specs only a little lower than nvidia's 1080, and according to the internet it'll release around the end of this month.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Icewind Dale was cool for it's selection of Voice Actors, although I'm a little sad to think that it was Kath Soucie's Swan song :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

QuarkJets posted:

FORCED is supposed to be a pretty good coop game but I haven't actually played it

FORCED has rather good co-op, and is like an action game with puzzle challenges. It's not easy though.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is also an action game with puzzle challenges and is fantastic and also not easy.

• Locked thread