Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

The synopsis makes it sound like some Kung Fury monkeycheese trash.

It has Michael Ironside as the bad guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

It has Michael Ironside as the bad guy.

So does Highlander 2, doesn't mean you should watch it!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

So does Highlander 2, doesn't mean you should watch it!

That's the main reason you should watch it!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

That's the main reason you should watch it!

No, you watch a couple of YouTube clips of him killing John McGinley and most of Sean Connery's scenes and then go "welp, no need to watch the movie".

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

The synopsis makes it sound like some Kung Fury monkeycheese trash.

It absolutely isn't. The only similarity is it's styled after a movie made in the eighties, set in the future 1994. But that literally never comes up apart from text at the beginning.

It's closer to a teenage Mad Max.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

No, you watch a couple of YouTube clips of him killing John McGinley and most of Sean Connery's scenes and then go "welp, no need to watch the movie".

Millenials are the worst.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Wait I'm confused, I was under the impression Michael Ironside was the villain/tough commander in EVERY 80s and 90s movie, while Louis Gossett Jr. played the gruff but tender hearted partner/friend?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Medullah posted:

Wait I'm confused, I was under the impression Michael Ironside was the villain/tough commander in EVERY 80s and 90s movie, while Louis Gossett Jr. played the gruff but tender hearted partner/friend?

Louis Gossett Jr came down with dysentery one summer and Michael Ironsides played the gruff but tender partner to Marc Singer in V. Robert Patrick was in rehab for an adrenochrome overdose mid-filming so he was replaced by Michael Ironsides in Starship Troopers. He can be the Anti-Hero SOMETIMES. Casting: This post is completely fabricated but certainly believable

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone needs to see this so I will continue to post it in every appropriate thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98PCgjw__HQ

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Everyone needs to see this so I will continue to post it in every appropriate thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98PCgjw__HQ

Why. Why would you do this?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynthOrange posted:

Why. Why would you do this?

You must suffer as I have suffered.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Shield got old and fat.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

The Shield got old and fat.

Why do you think Roman did 'roids?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

No, Harley, you are supposed to only call the Joker "puddin'" and not eat a whole box each time you say that.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Codependent Poster posted:

No, Harley, you are supposed to only call the Joker "puddin'" and not eat a whole box each time you say that.

:iceburn:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Watching Preacher some more, it just isn't hooking me. But Ruth Negga is amazing in this, worlds beyond her role on AoS.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Watching Preacher some more, it just isn't hooking me. But Ruth Negga is amazing in this, worlds beyond her role on AoS.
Yup yup.

I honestly didn't even realize she was the same actress than on AoS until way later than I should have, she was so different.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I'm watching it just because I'm masochistic but man I just want to punch Seth Rogen so hard for "We're keeping it comic accurate!". I think I would be less sour on the show if I were expecting a completely different story like Lucifer, which I actually enjoyed way more than I thought I would, but no, I was expecting it to be close to the books and tonight we get Cassidy and Tulip hooking up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Preacher thread is gushing over it but even when I set the source material aside I find it to be a bad show. It's just not doing it for me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Agreed. I'm trying my hardest to be objective but it's really just not good. Oddly paced, strange character interactions, and stuff that if you don't read the comics you'd be super confused about, which is dumb because it's so different at this point.

Compare it to Lucifer, which by all means should have been atrocious and should have never been made because it was a complete departure from a quality book yet ended up being enjoyable due to a decent story and charismatic lead.

I'll stick with it just to see how the Saint ends up but ehhhh it's definitely not a live watch show.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm really enjoying it, but if Rogan said it was supposed to be comic-accurate, he was lying through his teeth, though maybe he just meant in terms of characterization. I think that's pretty close.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I'm really enjoying it, but if Rogan said it was supposed to be comic-accurate, he was lying through his teeth, though maybe he just meant in terms of characterization. I think that's pretty close.

I don't even agree with this. Cassidy is similar, but Jesse is definitely completely different (at this point) and Tulip is different as well. Hell, even Jesse's dad in a brief flashback was shown to be vastly different (John Custer never would have beat his son).

But whatever, comic poo poo is comic poo poo, there will always be nerds like me who nit pick.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I don't watch the show, but I think it is ok to nitpick when the people selling it to the potential audience are saying it will be very accurate to the source.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The pilot, maybe. Afterwards though?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Look, the show is called Preacher, there's a dude who's a Preacher, and they all call him Preacher like every five minutes, what more do you people want!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

The pilot, maybe. Afterwards though?

The pilot's not even all that comic accurate.

Tv Tulip does some irritating poo poo but Negga is killing it so I'm forgiving.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The pilot's not even all that comic accurate.

That's what I mean. Once the pilot establishes that whatever Rogan said was total bullshit, it's silly to keep complaining about it every episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

That's what I mean. Once the pilot establishes that whatever Rogan said was total bullshit, it's silly to keep complaining about it every episode.

I've stopped doing that and have moved on to complaining that the show just isn't very good.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

It just kinda feels like that second season of Walking Dead where they had to stay on the farm doing nothing because AMC cheapest out on the budget.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dacap posted:

It just kinda feels like that second season of Walking Dead where they had to stay on the farm doing nothing because AMC cheapest out on the budget.

Gotta skim that Madmen money from somewhere.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
When did Rogen say anything about comic accuracy? The only thing I read was about how it was gonna be totally different so fans of the comic would still be surprised.
I find it absolutely absurd that people like Lucifer but think Preacher is a bad show. I think it's time to change the thread title to Comic Book Television Complaint Thread because no one seems to have anything positive to say.

Seriously, you guys loving hate comic book shows.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno just hates, actually.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Rhyno just hates, actually.

I still love Arrow despite it being hard to watch, ditto for Flash and LoT. Supergirl was excellent, Gotham was great this year. Constantine had so much potential. I have yet to watch Lucifer so I have no real opinion outside of the pilot being a bit weak. Daredevil and Jessica Jones were also excellent.

Agents of Shield is still the worst loving thing ever though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sgt. Politeness posted:

When did Rogen say anything about comic accuracy? The only thing I read was about how it was gonna be totally different so fans of the comic would still be surprised.
I find it absolutely absurd that people like Lucifer but think Preacher is a bad show. I think it's time to change the thread title to Comic Book Television Complaint Thread because no one seems to have anything positive to say.

Seriously, you guys loving hate comic book shows.

It's me, I'm the guy he's talking about. Rogen said early on when the show was greenlit (though I can't find it now) that he was a huge fan of the comic, and he wanted to do it justice so it wasn't a complete change like most comic shows and movies are. That he "understood how much people love the book and the characters".

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Rhyno posted:

I still love Arrow despite it being hard to watch, ditto for Flash and LoT. Supergirl was excellent, Gotham was great this year. Constantine had so much potential. I have yet to watch Lucifer so I have no real opinion outside of the pilot being a bit weak. Daredevil and Jessica Jones were also excellent.

Just add iZombie to the "good TV" camp, and your TV opinions will be Correct and Good.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Rhyno posted:

I basically feel the same, except I don't much care for Gotham, and I quite liked Constantine. I guess I wouldn't say that I love LoT, and it kind of actively pissed me off with its writing. I'd put LoT below AoS, at least this season.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrProsek posted:

Just add iZombie to the "good TV" camp, and your TV opinions will be Correct and Good.

Another example of a show that deviated highly from its source material yet is fantastic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrProsek posted:

Ooooh I forgot! Yeah, that's be and the girlfriend's favorite show to watch together.

ToastyPotato posted:

I basically feel the same, except I don't much care for Gotham, and I quite liked Constantine. I guess I wouldn't say that I love LoT, and it kind of actively pissed me off with its writing. I'd put LoT below AoS, at least this season.

Gotham S1 is horrible and I was shocked it got a S2 but they seriously upped their game in the second year. LoT has Brandon Routh and that justifies my love right there.

Medullah posted:

Another example of a show that deviated highly from its source material yet is fantastic.

The difference it 1) iZombie is a great show and 2) they never said for one second that they were going to follow the course of the comic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Rhyno we talked about that word and why you can't use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Rhyno we talked about that word and why you can't use it.

I'm actually waiting for some idiot to report my post over her last name.