Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

duckfarts posted:

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is also an action game with puzzle challenges and is fantastic and also not easy.

And to round this chain out: Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris is a broken game abandoned by its developers which should be skipped no matter how much you enjoyed GoL. (Which makes me sad.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

END ME SCOOB posted:

And to round this chain out: Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris is a broken game abandoned by its developers which should be skipped no matter how much you enjoyed GoL. (Which makes me sad.)
What happened? I was able to complete it in 2 player coop. Did it get buggier over time?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Grapplejack posted:

I would suggest having him wait a bit for the 480 to drop; it's set to be about $200 and have specs only a little lower than nvidia's 1080, and according to the internet it'll release around the end of this month.

Not to single you out specifically but it's funny how the hype train for the 480 keeps building. It started out as "probably about 970 performance" given their claims of affordable VR, then some questionable leaked benchmarks come out and people start saying it's more like a 980, then similar questionable benchmarks show that it overclocks to near-980 Ti performance, and now it's only a little weaker than a 1080. By release it'll be the strongest card ever created.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
You got lucky or something broke since, but the chain of angry people on the community hub when I played tells me it wasn't just my curse. The stuff I experienced was a lot of falling through the world (which is death, which kills your combo and a lot of challenges instantly), a bug wherein the game would just NOT STOP FIRING WEAPONS if I used a controller (and I could use it in plenty of other games without error, so it was decidedly ToO's fault), one type of enemy failing to die reliably (and since they were an auto-reviving gimmick enemy, this was the shittiest thing)...

It was pretty hellish. I started praying for boss stages because those were at least brief if I died spontaneously, as opposed to what would have been much more fun in its more polished cousin.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

Not to single you out specifically but it's funny how the hype train for the 480 keeps building. It started out as "probably about 970 performance" given their claims of affordable VR, then some questionable leaked benchmarks come out and people start saying it's more like a 980, then similar questionable benchmarks show that it overclocks to near-980 Ti performance, and now it's only a little weaker than a 1080. By release it'll be the strongest card ever created.

I agree, i'm just going by hearsay of what i've heard, so. One of the good things i've heard about the card which I believe AMD has repeated is that the power usage is about 150W, which is really good, even for a midrange card.

I would assume it'd run as well as the 970, give or take.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Kins posted:

It's not just rights hell they fight through, but compatibility hell - they had to abandon a release of The Residents' Bad Day On The Midway because literally the only way to get it working would have been to pack in Windows 3.1, and Titanic: Adventure Out of Time is giving them a bunch of trouble right now.
Ah really, I would have liked to play Bad Day on the Midway.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Kins posted:

It's not just rights hell they fight through, but compatibility hell - they had to abandon a release of The Residents' Bad Day On The Midway because literally the only way to get it working would have been to pack in Windows 3.1, and Titanic: Adventure Out of Time is giving them a bunch of trouble right now.

The source code to Strife was lost forever so when they put out Strife: Veteran Edition they basically just rebuilt the game from the ground up.,

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Hey so I noticed this post getting lost in people wanking off over the bartender game.

(games)

Thanks a lot!

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

mike12345 posted:

No no, it's the other guy, with the black/white anime (?) bear.

that describes me, hooray!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

END ME SCOOB posted:

You got lucky or something broke since, but the chain of angry people on the community hub when I played tells me it wasn't just my curse. The stuff I experienced was a lot of falling through the world (which is death, which kills your combo and a lot of challenges instantly), a bug wherein the game would just NOT STOP FIRING WEAPONS if I used a controller (and I could use it in plenty of other games without error, so it was decidedly ToO's fault), one type of enemy failing to die reliably (and since they were an auto-reviving gimmick enemy, this was the shittiest thing)...

It was pretty hellish. I started praying for boss stages because those were at least brief if I died spontaneously, as opposed to what would have been much more fun in its more polished cousin.
I definitely got the falling through the world due to lag on the forced scrolling sections and a few other hilarious lag related bugs but no forever shooting or anything. Of course i didn't use a gamepad so who knows.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

GhostDog posted:

It's an optional mode, how does that make the EE as a whole "not worth it"?
Its hyperbolic, but the easy mode is representative of the goals of the EE update. IWD entire claim to fame was its fairly deliberate combat balancing and encounter design, but they up and ported it into the BG2 engine which is a fairly different beast to the general tune of making everything easier. Its probably mostly grog bitching about the good old days since anyone interested in the original design would have played IWD ages back but is worth mentioning.

IWD has an awesome story, but its not about the player's party, or even the villains. The players and villains are the foils for uncovering the geopolitical troubles of settling frontier lands. The archaeology is 100 times more fun than any of the dumb plot beats you need to follow involving the villains of the game.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,King of Dragon Pass just updated. Shame Steam seems unable to download it,getting a "disk write error" every time I try.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

VolticSurge posted:

So,King of Dragon Pass just updated. Shame Steam seems unable to download it,getting a "disk write error" every time I try.

is your hdd full?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Dr Sun Try posted:

is your hdd full?

No,I've still got 150 gigs available. And some other games updated successfully,just KODP keeps being stubborn.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
weird

delete and redownload would prob help; backup your saves

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Dr Sun Try posted:

weird

delete and redownload would prob help; backup your saves

Thing is,I've already done that. It still refuses to download the update. I guess I can try to verify the cache,see if that helps?

E:no,it still doesn't do anything.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

VolticSurge posted:

Thing is,I've already done that. It still refuses to download the update. I guess I can try to verify the cache,see if that helps?

E:no,it still doesn't do anything.

try throttling your download speed in the client; maybe your internet is too fast (I'm not joking)

edit: to explain - if there are a lot of small files your hdd may not create new files fast enough and steam chokes; happened on my laptop once

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Dr Sun Try posted:

try throttling your download speed in the client; maybe your internet is too fast (I'm not joking)

edit: to explain - if there are a lot of small files your hdd may not create new files fast enough and steam chokes; happened on my laptop once

Doesn't seem to help. It still refuses to download.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

The source code to Strife was lost forever so when they put out Strife: Veteran Edition they basically just rebuilt the game from the ground up.,
Their lead programmer and one of their contractors had already reverse-engineered most of the game in their own time using their extensive Doom engine experience for the Chocolate Doom project, so a lot of the coding work (minus the graphical enhancements and new/fixed content) was done before the project even started.

Judging from Stephen Kick's comments in that AMA, Win 3.1 apps are a blind spot for them right now... hopefully they can find someone or some way to bridge that gap.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

VolticSurge posted:

might still be a steam bug,
but to be sure, you should check your hdd for errors:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9709-FKCB-4230&l=german

quote:

The first step is to verify that your hard drive is in good health and that all bad sectors have been marked as such by the drive.
To do so on Windows:
Click Start > (My) Computer
Locate the hard drive Steam is installed on. By default, this is C:
Right-click this drive and select Properties.
Click the Tools tab.
In the Error-checking category, click Check now...
In the dialog that appears, check "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors."
Click Start.
If you are scanning the C: drive, you will be asked to schedule the disk check the next time you start Windows. Accept, restart your computer, and allow the disk check to start—do not press any keys to skip the disk check.
Allow the disk check to complete. This process may take up to several hours, depending on the size of your hard drive and the number of errors.

backup your important poo poo before you do that.

I'm actually guessing your hdd is fine, since steam has nor problem downloading games, the bad hdd sectors would have come up with one of those (probably).
You should still do the check, just to be safe.

May be an issue with the upcoming sale and steam server updating...or something else.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

On the other hand, Phantom Brave is loving amazing.

What makes it amazing?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I apologize in advance:

HXL0G-JXZLL-0ZTA9
C7EYJ-2EXKG-M2ZD2

Also, Merry Steam Sale, everyone. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jamfrost posted:

I apologize in advance:

HXL0G-JXZLL-0ZTA9
C7EYJ-2EXKG-M2ZD2

Also, Merry Steam Sale, everyone. :v:

I got the first one. No idea what Broken Dreams is though.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's better that way.
-
Hey, if any of you have garbage tier cards that they don't want to bother selling, I'd be willing to take them to attempt badges for this sale. Please don't forget to sell your anime cards during this sale to strengthen your Steam Wallet such as Final Fantasy or any erotic visual novel.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

zedprime posted:

Its hyperbolic, but the easy mode is representative of the goals of the EE update. IWD entire claim to fame was its fairly deliberate combat balancing and encounter design, but they up and ported it into the BG2 engine which is a fairly different beast to the general tune of making everything easier.

Didn't know about the engine porting, that's an argument at least.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kennel posted:

What makes it amazing?

Reasons I like phantom brave more than other NIS games:

1. I like the gameplay. It is a tactics rpg that is not grid-based, but rather distance based. Every person can move a set amount of distance per turn and I just like this a lot more than than the standard block-based movement, since with block-based you can only move to specific points but with the distance based movement, you can move to any possible point within your circle of movement.
2. I like the story. Other NIS games are fine and they're just comedies and stuff but I liked phantom brave's story for trying to be serious and specifically because it tried to be a feel-good story about a character that everybody discriminates against and her overcoming this discrimination and managing to make friends.
3. I like the weapons. At first I thought phantom brave was just "okay" but when I realized how the weapon system worked, I really liked it. Essentially, the way battles work is you can confine one of your units to an item on the map and your unit will get a buff from being confined to that item and your unit can only exist for a set number of turns before disappearing. When they disappear, there is a percentage chance that they will take the item with them. This means you'll want to try to confine phantoms with a high percentage of taking their item to any rare items you see on the battlefield, like if you see a unique weapon or something really strong. However, items you can confine to are not just weapons like swords and stuff. You can also confine to logs, trees, rocks, food, tools, bones, barrels, boxes, etc, and all of these are viable weapons with their own skillsets and special moves

At that point I ended up making a bunch of phantoms who specialized in wielding driftwood, trees, and rocks and had a bunch of fun collecting new powerful equipment for them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

END ME SCOOB posted:

ToO was unplayable online for me and my friends, there was so much jittering and warping. It's a huge shame, GoL was an amazing game.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Gomi Day posted:

i legit would like to see some of the sega cd era fmv games get remastered and tossed on steam.

been itching for some sewer shark.

Night Trap is supposedly getting a rerelease at some point; a goon I paid to do some mastering a few years ago said he was working on the sound files.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ask your parents.

Joking aside, it's probably a bad RPG maker game.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

VolticSurge posted:

You wouldn't have happened to migrate your Steam folder at any point with that game in your library? Scroll down to Monthar's post:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3096140

I had a similar issue and this was the solution. Heck, check the app file anyway.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I'm not super into NIS strategy RPGs but I hope eventually Soul Nomad gets ported to PC just so I can actually experience the bonkers evil path.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Not really bonkers, but a tell you don't show you evil path.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Quidnose posted:

GMG 5-pack gave me:

Bridge Constructor (some sort of bridge constructor simulator or something, rated mostly positive overall but mixed lately)
Shattered Haven (puzzle game of some kind, mostly negative)
Steel Storm Burning Retribution (a mixed review shmup)
Data Hacker: Initiation (RPG maker game)
and Call of Duty: Black Ops (which I don't own!)

tempted to do that again but I should probably save my money for the sale. Some dude in the Summer Sale thread got 2 Far Cry Primal's and a Witcher 3 key unless he's photoshopping things~

e: I have no self control and bought another 5 pack, got Bridge Constructor and Shattered Haven again, and the sequel game to Data Hacker (corruption), but I also got The Inner World which is worth 15 bucks and has very positive reviews http://store.steampowered.com/app/251430/

And Incitement 3, another RPG maker game, hooray.

No more of this :v:

I didn't photoshop poo poo :argh:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

VolticSurge posted:

I had this problem for like a week with a game updating. All other games would download fine but one game kept saying disk write error. I tried everything. Then after a week it updated and worked out of the blue.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

FirstAidKite posted:

I will second all of this. I haven't played Phantom Brave since it first released but I remember REALLY enjoying the unique battle mechanics. Having to use environmental objects to summon your units adds a surprising amount of strategy to consider.

Cowman posted:

I didn't photoshop poo poo :argh:

The promo image for the mystery games DOES have a blurred-out shot of Witcher 3, but I honestly assumed that was GMG being shady motherfuckers. I bet you got the only copy they put up for it, congrats!

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Is the wired 360 controller still the default recommendation for Steam games? I'm looking for something to use with racing games (Dirt 3/Showdown, Grid 2, GTA 3/VC/SA) on a Mac.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

surrender posted:

Is the wired 360 controller still the default recommendation for Steam games? I'm looking for something to use with racing games (Dirt 3/Showdown, Grid 2, GTA 3/VC/SA) on a Mac.

Yeah the wired 360 controller is still excellent, I switch between that and the ds4 depending on the game I'm playing.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

This is the least simmy game on my list, but I had to play Cities XL last night so you're just going to have to deal with it.

1. Banished
2. StarTopia
3. Imperium Romanum Gold Edition
4. Port Royale 2
5. 1849
6. Cities in Motion
7. AdvertCity
8. Anno 2070
9. Big Pharma
10. Tropico Reloaded
11. The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom
12. SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition
13. Knights and Merchants
14. Patrician III
15. Stronghold HD
16. Children of the Nile
17. Anno 1404 / Dawn of Discovery
18. Cultures - Northland
19. Majesty Gold HD
20. Cities in Motion 2
21. Stronghold Crusader HD
22. Grand Ages: Rome

23. Triple Town

What is with our predisposition for match 3? What purpose does it serve our primordial lizard brains to delight us when we put three of something together and watch it disappear? Whatever the reason may be, the game industry has seized upon this weakness with terrible force, compelling us to crush candies and swap orbs and do all sorts of ridiculous things to rack up points. Triple Town would be no different, save for one additional level of complexity that adds a unique hint of progression to the formula.

Rounds in Triple Town take place on small islands, gridded off for you to set your plants and buildings on. You're given something to place, anything from a tuft of grass to a sturdy oak to an entire house, which you can put on any open square. If three of the same thing end up adjacent to each other, such as three bushes, they combine on the spot of the last one placed into the next level of thing, such as a tree. In this way you can work your way up from grass to bush to tree to house to mansion to castle and on. Most of the time you'll be placing grass but you occassionally get higher-level objects straightaway, which you can use to your advantage or store in your single storage spot for later.

There are other factors at play, such as bears you must place that move about and block your construction, or crystals that act as wildcards, combining with any two other things to complete the set. Your goal is to amass points and reach certain milestones like Settlement and City, and the simple challenge of trying to finagle everything into place is honestly enough to keep you going. You'll slowly start puzzling out how to plan your grasses ahead to get the bushes in the right places to get trees where you want, and then realize you need to plan even further for the houses that the trees become. There's a remarkable amount of planning and strategizing involved, as well as the challenges of unexpected bear or crystal appearances.

All this would make for a fine coffee-break puzzle game, at least for awhile, but there's thankfully more to it than that. As you play, you obtain special items like farms and ores that cannot be used in normal maps. In between rounds, you travel to your capital city where you can place these to grant you additional resources periodically. These resources come in the form of items that can be used during rounds to place certain clutch objects when you need them most. The capital follows the same match-3 rules as well, meaning placing your special items intelligently can yield much greater returns. Triple Town basically gives you a hub city to develop which provides resources that makes the individual puzzles easier, allowing you to earn more items to develop your hub. It's a brilliant little gameplay loop that can keep you hooked for want of one more upgrade to your city.

It's almost a perfect package, but I must admit the presentation drags it down a little. The actual feel of Triple Town is like that of a Flash game, trapped in a static windowed mode with simple vector graphics and animation. There's almost no polish to the menus or buttons, either, which makes them feel more like developer placeholders than finished products. The sound is adequate for what it is but does nothing to alleviate the otherwise cheap feel of the game. Coming off of titles like Mini Metro that manage to be simple AND stylish, Triple Town can feel a bit disappointing. Still, the core mechanics are plenty solid and the progression systems are very addictive, so if you can look past the presentation you'll have a lovely little timesink to enjoy here.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

1. I like the gameplay. It is a tactics rpg that is not grid-based, but rather distance based. Every person can move a set amount of distance per turn and I just like this a lot more than than the standard block-based movement, since with block-based you can only move to specific points but with the distance based movement, you can move to any possible point within your circle of movement.
2. I like the story. Other NIS games are fine and they're just comedies and stuff but I liked phantom brave's story for trying to be serious and specifically because it tried to be a feel-good story about a character that everybody discriminates against and her overcoming this discrimination and managing to make friends.
3. I like the weapons. At first I thought phantom brave was just "okay" but when I realized how the weapon system worked, I really liked it. Essentially, the way battles work is you can confine one of your units to an item on the map and your unit will get a buff from being confined to that item and your unit can only exist for a set number of turns before disappearing. When they disappear, there is a percentage chance that they will take the item with them. This means you'll want to try to confine phantoms with a high percentage of taking their item to any rare items you see on the battlefield, like if you see a unique weapon or something really strong. However, items you can confine to are not just weapons like swords and stuff. You can also confine to logs, trees, rocks, food, tools, bones, barrels, boxes, etc, and all of these are viable weapons with their own skillsets and special moves

At that point I ended up making a bunch of phantoms who specialized in wielding driftwood, trees, and rocks and had a bunch of fun collecting new powerful equipment for them.

The massive number of possible weapons in Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom are what really make them my top 2 NIS games. PB in particular had something like 350 skills across all the various weapon types that you could learn.

Im so excited. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

surrender posted:

Yep but look at your local best buy for the "pc" xbox controller (jr9-00011) it'll cost you 37 bucks.. which is less than the wired ones I saw.

Edit: I get about 2months of light gaming usage out of the 2 aa batteries.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 23, 2016

• Locked thread