Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

InitialDave posted:

America seems to have an utter disease on that front, people just do not use them. I'll admit some of the designs (e.g. food pedal operated) are a bag of poo poo, but still. I don't understand how it became an apparent cultural norm to not set the brake.

I've seen using the parking brake to stop a manual transmission car from rolling back during a hill start posted as a 'hack' on US-centric boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

dissss posted:

I've seen using the parking brake to stop a manual transmission car from rolling back during a hill start posted as a 'hack' on US-centric boards.

I never got the hang of that. I could use the rear brake on my motorcycle to hold the bike while I shift into gear and slip the clutch on a hill just fine, but could never do the same in the car.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Uthor posted:

I never got the hang of that. I could use the rear brake on my motorcycle to hold the bike while I shift into gear and slip the clutch on a hill just fine, but could never do the same in the car.

Just think of it as finding the "friction zone" of your parking brake. Hold it just enough to keep the car still on the hill, apply throttle and clutch, zoom away without any rollback.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Beach Bum posted:

Just think of it as finding the "friction zone" of your parking brake. Hold it just enough to keep the car still on the hill, apply throttle and clutch, zoom away without any rollback.

Holy gently caress, I never thought of that. I always had the parking brake all the way applied with the button in, and just released it when I felt the weight shift as I slipped the clutch.

That was stupid.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Quality drivers just heel/toe that poo poo and wonder why everyone is worried about hills. :colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

Quality drivers just heel/toe that poo poo and wonder why everyone is getting so much mileage out their clutch. :colbert:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The other option would be not sucking.

I'm starting to think that diesel bro trucks only have an on/off switch instead of an accelerator pedal. Within about 2 minutes I saw two different guys flooring it to blow black smoke up to traffic, then coasting, then flooring it again, another guy flooring it up the onramp only to sit there tailgating the car in front of him in a big line, and then another guy making an illegal u-turn while on the phone. All in full size diesel pickups.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

xzzy posted:

Quality drivers just heel/toe that poo poo and wonder why everyone is worried about hills. :colbert:

Sure you can do that, but to me that's a much more difficult technique that you'd only start using after you're confident with a manual anyway - that would be the 'hack' way of doing things.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If we had actual driver training instead of "buckle your seatbelt, adjust the mirrors, and don't speed!" then things like heel/toe wouldn't be some scary chasm people need to cross.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

jamal posted:

The other option would be not sucking.

I'm starting to think that diesel bro trucks only have an on/off switch instead of an accelerator pedal. Within about 2 minutes I saw two different guys flooring it to blow black smoke up to traffic, then coasting, then flooring it again, another guy flooring it up the onramp only to sit there tailgating the car in front of him in a big line, and then another guy making an illegal u-turn while on the phone. All in full size diesel pickups.

That's because they only have two modes:

1. ROLL COAL BRO
2. Diesel is expensive!

That's why you see that binary behavior.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

dissss posted:

This also works if you're driving a forklift up a slope to prevent jerky motions and is pretty much necessary because a 7000 pound machine can do a lot of damage.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

xzzy posted:

Should just adopt F1 style "flicker then solid" style brake lights.

I have seen this on a lot of bikes. As a matter of fact, I saw a badass loud sportbike the other day which had what I believe is an aftermarket tail light. It worked as one large brake light, then as a signal would convert half of it's area to a turn signal.

I was mesmerized by it's function. Something in my brain told me that it was actually a sort of very segmented, very bright, and almost video screen like operation. I could almost make out the refresh rate as it functioned. Anyone familiar with this kind of modification?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

PenisMonkey posted:

Dude from the Star Trek movies got crushed by his empty car rolling into him when he was behind it. Parking brakes are there for a reason, even on automatics.
On that Jeep the parking brake is electric and activates automatically when the car is put in Park. Which he thought he did, obviously.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

My understanding is you have to push the button on the shifter and hold the brake down while you push up on the shifter to get it into park. So if you take your foot off the brake or your thumb off the button just a little too early, it goes into neutral instead.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jamal posted:

My understanding is you have to push the button on the shifter and hold the brake down while you push up on the shifter to get it into park. So if you take your foot off the brake or your thumb off the button just a little too early, it goes into neutral instead.

It's actually just a button forward and back, and there are 2 very light notches. Sometimes pushing the stick hard forward doesn't get the second notch, so an action that gets you into park 99 times out of 100 does just that. That other 1 time out of 100, it ends up in reverse or neutral.

A regular vehicle would let you know this, by not letting you take the key out of the ignition, but the grand cherokee has that keyless go thing. so it beeps with the same beep it would if you left the lights on or whatever. It's the same way signal lights have gone to a simple button, only instead of accidentally leaving the signal light on, or fighting to get it off, your vehicle rolls backwards and squishes you against a mailbox.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 23, 2016

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
This appears to be some Australian altercations, Jeep versus motorcycle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOImGGmhPwI

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The biker kinda talked himself right into that bumper imo.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Murphys Law posted:

Is there some new trend where if you're on the highway and traffic suddenly has to slow down for a bit due to congestion you're supposed to turn your hazard lights on? I've been behind somebody who did this twice in the past few weeks.

My old driving instructor taught me this. Something happens up ahead - brake hard, slap the hazards, evade (if necessary.)

Quite surprised that's not more of a common practice.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Beach Bum posted:

I learned exactly this way from my parents when I was 15 - first thing my mom did was take me to an empty lot and teach me how to use the clutch to find the sweet spot where it would engage and feel like the car was about to pull forward. From there it was timing the shift/clutch, then she took me to some hills nearby to practice holding the car on the hill without stalling. I had the timing down within a day, and after a week I felt like I'd been driving the car forever when I'd putter around with my folks.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
In Britain using the handbrake on a hill start is part of the driving test and if you roll back more than an inch you will fail. This shows how different the attitudes to driving standards are.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
It's common practice around here to drive with hazards on when moving at low speed on the highways. Trucks climbing long grades and like that will click 'em on as soon as they drop to 50-ish. Also a lot of rural stuff goes on, the occaisional guy moving low speed farm equipment and stuff like that will have a following rig with hazards on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's what hazards are for: vehicles on or near the roadway that are not behaving like normal traffic.

It sort of follows to flip them on when slowing for an obstruction that other traffic may not be able to see, but is not something I've actually encountered.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just wish hazards were set up in such a way that turn signals still worked.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

xzzy posted:

That's what hazards are for: vehicles on or near the roadway that are not behaving like normal traffic.

Yesterday I saw a first gen Mazda 3/Axela with the hazards flashing. There didn't look to be anything obviously wrong but it was moving somewhat erratically so I was curious as to what was up.

Turns out both front wheels had at least 20 degrees of toe out and the moron was still driving along in heavy traffic. No body damage so who knows what had happened to the poor car.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Here is the shifter for the Jeep that killed Yelchin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUWVYrpd-3g

What a mess

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sigma posted:

Here is the shifter for the Jeep that killed Yelchin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUWVYrpd-3g

What a mess

Almost seems designed to kill someone.

Surely it's engineering 101 that if a standard feature requires a 2.5minute instruction video, then something is bloody wrong.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

spog posted:

Surely it's engineering 101 that if a standard feature requires a 2.5minute instruction video, then something is bloody wrong.

Didn't you watch the video? They say right at the beginning - "your vehicle may be equipped with a fuel efficient state-of-the-art 8 speed transmission." Do you really want your flashy state-of-the-art transmission to be shifted with the same kind of shifter that came on a K-car?

Goddamn philistines ITT :argh:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
So, let me get this straight.

It doesn't actually hold static in position, it re-centres after selecting a position.

And the handbrake is an automatic one, the car engages it, you can't do it yourself.

And the "Yo, you're opening the door while not in park" alarm is supposedly the same as the "lights left on" one and so on.

Aaaaand it's keyless start, so there's no "can't remove key if not in park" failsafe.

That's just insane.

Especially with literally half a century of everyone knowing you slap the shifter all the way forward and you're in park.
If it were a dial/knob or buttons, it'd probably be fine, but it's a familiar interface that operates in an unfamiliar manner.

I hope this ends up as a "don't be a smartarse and reinvent the wheel" footnote in physical UI/UX design textbooks.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Geoj posted:

Didn't you watch the video? They say right at the beginning - "your vehicle may be equipped with a fuel efficient state-of-the-art 8 speed transmission." Do you really want your flashy state-of-the-art transmission to be shifted with the same kind of shifter that came on a K-car?

Goddamn philistines ITT :argh:

You hit the nail on the head - different for the sake of being different

It's like the all touch air con controls on a new higher spec Honda Jazz/Fit - much, much worse than a normal knob-based setup but at least it doesn't work the same way as the base model.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
gently caress it, I already planned to drive my TJ until civilization collapsed, this just solidifies my righteous feeling about cars going to hell.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Murphys Law posted:

Is there some new trend where if you're on the highway and traffic suddenly has to slow down for a bit due to congestion you're supposed to turn your hazard lights on? I've been behind somebody who did this twice in the past few weeks. On the first occasion we hit a few brief back-ups in a five mile stretch and each time the hazards came back on, as if everybody will be completely unaware of the traffic without their extra input.

It's right up there with the people who feel the need to turn their hazards on as soon as it starts snowing.

I've been seeing this for years in western Europe, especially in Germany. When there is a traffic jam and people slow down to unusually slow speeds, they use the hazards to warn those behind. I think it was taught in my driving lessons too.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Foxtrot_13 posted:

In Britain using the handbrake on a hill start is part of the driving test and if you roll back more than an inch you will fail. This shows how different the attitudes to driving standards are.

The rental car I had when I visited England had a handbrake that would automatically engage on an incline. Unlike some other "features" that seem to cause more problems than they solved, this was quite useful without loving anything up.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EightBit posted:

gently caress it, I already planned to drive my TJ until civilization collapsed, this just solidifies my righteous feeling about cars going to hell.

Good news: It only needs to last a few more months at this rate.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Some Subarus have a thing like that, it's called hill holder. I haven't ever driven one with it though and am not exactly sure how it works. Some sort of a check valve that holds the regular brakes.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 24, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, my 97 outback had it. Just held the brakes for a preset amount of time (manual said 3 seconds iirc) if the car is tipped backwards. Also disengaged if you touched the throttle.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
My car has it and it is awesome. My wife's old car had it but you had to push the pedal all the way to the floor until a little light came on. Mine does it with any pressure.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

jamal posted:

Some Subarus have a thing like that, it's called hill holder. I haven't ever driven one with it though and am not exactly sure how it works. Some sort of a check valve that holds the regular breaks.

Mine sucks. It holds the car for about 5 seconds until you overcome it with the clutch, but I often find it engaging on flat surfaces and will often stall my car if I'm not expecting it to be on.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Hill holding assist is the best feature on any manual transmission car. My Mini has it as do a shitload of modern-era VWs (including the manual transmission Passats). I'd imagine that BMWs and Audi cars have it as well since the technology's in the family.

The Passat's implementation was so seamless that I specifically remember my brother and I only noticing after a month of ownership. Hell, the dealers never even mentioned its existence and it's a selling point to put the useless dual-climate controls to shame.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I had the exact opposite:

A foot-operated 'hand' brake on my Mercedes manual.

It was literally impossible to perform a hill start unless you borrowed someone else's foot.

spog fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

spog posted:

I had the exact opposite:

A foot-operated 'hand' brake on my Mercedes manual.

It was literally impossible to perform a hill start unless you borrowed someone else's foot.

Slow feet spotted.