Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I think I watched it...

nooooooooooooooooooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om8EObS6Q5o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I'm going to ironically download this game tonight while I'm out. I don't know if I'm banned or not or what though so we'll see.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

I'm going to ironically download this game tonight while I'm out. I don't know if I'm banned or not or what though so we'll see.
I opened Star Citizen up and the launcher instantly crashed.

I restarted it and then got this screen:

Both options lead to another loading screen which inevitably fails and gives me the UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD MANIFEST error again.

Is my version too old or something? MoMA please help.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

thatguy posted:

Both options lead to another loading screen which inevitably fails and gives me the UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD MANIFEST error again.

Yeah you need the new launcher, welcome to star citizen, it gets worse from here

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

AP posted:

When did they come up with the idea of a single seater jetbike/speeder whatever they call it. I dunno it was quite a while ago, maybe around the time the Episode VII trailer was a big thing?

We need some concept shots, well obviously it can't look like Rey's speeder that would be too obvious and Chris doesn't like it anyway as it looks like a brick, no way we're going to squeeze a few million polys out of that, the frame rate mightn't even dip 15 frames with 2 of them on the screen.

Background? Can you stick a large derelict spacecraft right at the back and have it half buried? Also set it in the desert with a cool dust trail. Also one more thing the jetbike thing must be shown travelling right to left, right to left, got it? Boss doesn't want it going left to right, people might wonder if we just copy cool poo poo from other people.

To answer your earlier question on concept sales I have no idea and I follow them quite closely. Only thing I'm aware of is the Polaris Corvette and I don't see that launching next month. I was wrong several months ago, figured they'd release it to critical acclaim for everyone that didn't get an Idris. Instead they shoehorned in much cheaper ones.

In short, expect a lot of hacked together yet unnamed concepts coming soon.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
2014? Huh, honestly Star citizen doesn't look too too bad for a 2-year old game--

What do you mean it hasn't released yet?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah you need the new launcher, welcome to star citizen, it gets worse from here
Alright I downloaded a new thing and it gave me a funny DOS installer thing.

Then it crashed. I don't know how you make DOS crash but it's probably my fault.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

thatguy posted:

Alright I downloaded a new thing and it gave me a funny DOS installer thing.

Then it crashed. I don't know how you make DOS crash but it's probably my fault.

It's because it's fake DOS, it's a pointless thing but I think because they made it it doesn't work.
You'll spot a pattern pretty soon

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I entered all the stuff and signed away my soul to Chris Roberts but the game didn't want to start downloading so I looked and found some helpful advice.
"If the patcher does not start to download, just wait, it can take quite some time for him to get active."

So I guess now I just have to wait and hope whoever "he" is starts working.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

thatguy posted:

I entered all the stuff and signed away my soul to Chris Roberts but the game didn't want to start downloading so I looked and found some helpful advice.
"If the patcher does not start to download, just wait, it can take quite some time for him to get active."

So I guess now I just have to wait and hope whoever "he" is starts working.

Did you try these steps:

1) Play iracing

This is what I did and things are pretty fun at the moment

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

thatguy posted:

I'm the copyright from 2 years ago.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

DogonCrook posted:

Do any games actually simulate air? Spacestation 13 tried and even in that relatively simple game it would lag constantly because of it. Im not sure they were ever able to fix that either.

I dont know poo poo about games development i guess, but if the purpose of the program isn't to simulate air, why the gently caress would you ever go through the trouble of doing it? As far as im aware not even dcs or any of the consumer flight sims do this and thats the only type of game where this even begins to make sense. But even then thats a goal to be reached when consumer hardware can handle it and im sure thats still a ways out.

How does subnautica do it? Your base and subs can slowly flood, and drain and im sure its trickery but to the player it doesn't matter at all, it all works exactly as it should.

First player games rarely do it.
Various base management sims (Maia, even that poo poo-heap DF-9) often do it.

The whole point of pretty much any software development can be summed up with what you wrote, though - if it's not its purpose, don't loving do it.
Addendum #1 to that is - if you can do it simpler, do it simpler. Addendum #2 is - if you can cheat your way through it, cheat your way through it.

Subnautica's flooding and draining doesn't have to deal with the same thing, really. All it is is an arbitrary Z-value within a room - if you're under it, you're underwater. That Z value is not global, though, like with Crysis' water level, and it's not fixed (but dynamic, based on flooding / repair events).

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

orcinus posted:

It's harder to not have him in the frame, though.
That, plus, if you define "screen time" as pixel-seconds, then he wins by default.

Is pixel-seconds a thing that's used? I immediately thought of Sandi moaning to Chris that she wants more pixel-seconds in the movie

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

ZenMaster posted:

Here is the English translated video:

http://sendvid.com/d98gh3k3

There's no way that isn't Ben.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm the copyright from 2 years ago.

I don't understand how does this game have a copyright on its launcher from before it started development?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Lol 2 hours ago AtV came up and nobody posted it? Well in case you can't wait for the inevitable spam of archive links to prevent CIG from getting views HERE IT IS!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIOLpwvF4Lc

quote:

Published on Jun 23, 2016
THE SHIRTS OFF THEIR BACKS. This week, Forrest Stephan and Cheyne Hessler explore the character pipeline, and Senior Writer William Weissbaum from the CIG Lore Team explores the Rhetor System.

01:09 - Intro
05:43 - NFATV
14:12 - ATV BTS: Character Pipeline
21:18 - Loremaker's: Rhetor System
26:15 - MVP with Tyler Witkin

Wow today is one meaty episode. Character pipeline? Rhetor system? Intro? It's all in AROUND THE VERSE (brought to you by subscribizens)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
orcinus, I wasn't trying to suggest they should try and simulate space. I was typing on lack of sleep with a sick kid but I was just trying to say what they are doing is mind blowing, which I guess we all already know.

I was basically thinking zone border checks in the way you're talking about but couldn't get it out.

Also, just having an automatic bubble come over your head, or not allowing the airlock to cycle (liable to be supremely griefable) would be better anyway

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Lol 2 hours ago AtV came up and nobody posted it? Well in case you can't wait for the inevitable spam of archive links to prevent CIG from getting views HERE IT IS!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIOLpwvF4Lc

Wow today is one meaty episode. Character pipeline? Rhetor system? Intro? It's all in AROUND THE VERSE (brought to you by subscribizens)

It takes them over a minute to get to the introduction? Are they in pre-introduction until then?

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

DogonCrook posted:

Do any games actually simulate air? Spacestation 13 tried and even in that relatively simple game it would lag constantly because of it. Im not sure they were ever able to fix that either.

I dont know poo poo about games development i guess, but if the purpose of the program isn't to simulate air, why the gently caress would you ever go through the trouble of doing it? As far as im aware not even dcs or any of the consumer flight sims do this and thats the only type of game where this even begins to make sense. But even then thats a goal to be reached when consumer hardware can handle it and im sure thats still a ways out.

How does subnautica do it? Your base and subs can slowly flood, and drain and im sure its trickery but to the player it doesn't matter at all, it all works exactly as it should.

AFAIK Space Engineers simulates air density in enclosed volumes. As in an enclosed volume takes a while to pressurize to breathable levels. If a wall is breached, the air will vacuum out. Not sure how this is implemented though.

Kerbal Space Program has a height vs air density gradient for bodies with atmospheres. It uses that to calculate lift/drag/heat/O2 intake. That one seems pretty simple as far as air goes.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Chalks posted:

I don't understand how does this game have a copyright on its launcher from before it started development?
I haven't been in the game since the thing where you fight a bunch of bots so maybe that's my fault.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

thatguy posted:

I haven't been in the game since the thing where you fight a bunch of bots so maybe that's my fault.

That's a very commando thing to think about

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

”A speech made in January, 2017” posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd planned to speak to you tonight to report on the state of the Squadron 42, but the events of earlier today have led me to change those plans. Today is a day for mourning and remembering. Sandi and I are pained to the core by the tragedy of the Persistent Universe. We know we share this pain with all of the people of our country. This is truly a national loss.

Nineteen months ago, almost to the day, we lost three developers in a terrible accident at Illfonic. But we've never lost a developer on S42. We've never had a tragedy like this.

And perhaps we've forgotten the courage it took for the crew of the shuttle. But they, the Persistent Universe Crew, were aware of the dangers, but overcame them and did their jobs brilliantly. We mourn these heroes.
We mourn their loss as a nation together.

For the families of the developers, we cannot bear, as you do, the full impact of this tragedy. But we feel the loss, and we're thinking about you so very much. Your loved ones were daring and brave, and they had that special grace, that special spirit that says, "Give me a challenge, and I'll meet it with joy." They had a hunger to explore the universe and discover its truths. They wished to serve, and they did. They served all of us.

We've grown used to wonders in this century. It's hard to dazzle us. But for five years Cloud Imperium Games has been doing just that. We've grown used to the idea of space, and, perhaps we forget that we've only just begun. We're still pioneers. They, the members of the Persistent Universe crew, were pioneers.

And I want to say something to the backers who were watching the live meltdown of the game’s development. I know it's hard to understand, but sometimes painful things like this happen. It's all part of the process of exploration and discovery. It's all part of taking a chance and expanding man's horizons. The future doesn't belong to the fainthearted; it belongs to the brave. The Persistent Universe crew was pulling us into the future, and we'll continue to follow them.

I've always had great faith in and respect for our developers. And what happened today does nothing to diminish it. We don't hide our development. We don't keep secrets and cover things up. We do it all up front and in public. That's the way open development is, and we wouldn't change it for a minute.

We'll continue our quest in space. There will be more jpegs and more fidelity and, yes, more moderators, more backers, more systems in space. Nothing ends here; our hopes and our journeys continue.

I want to add that I wish I could talk to every man and woman who works for CIG, or who worked on this game and tell them: "Your dedication and professionalism have moved and impressed us for decades. And we know of your anguish. We share it."

There's a coincidence today. On this day three hundred and ninety years ago, the great explorer Sir Francis Drake died aboard ship off the coast of Panama. In his lifetime the great frontiers were the oceans, and a historian later said, "He lived by the sea, died on it, and was buried in it." Well, today, we can say of the PU crew: Their dedication was, like Drake's, complete.

The crew of the Persistent Universe honored us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye and "slipped the surly bonds of earth" to "touch the face of God."

Thank you.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
"I think the example of doing a two day 'job' because your ship will take two days to unlaod is an excellent example of what the game play should entail." -ABH

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

That's a very commando thing to think about
I can't wait to see you in the 'verse.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sunswipe posted:

It takes them over a minute to get to the introduction? Are they in pre-introduction until then?

Gotta roll that amazing B-footage to hype up the intro, bro.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DogonCrook posted:

Space Engineers does, using a decently realistic volumetric system -- if you have a big box filled with air, building a wall in the middle and evacuating one half will leave you with half as much air, etc.

quote:

Flightsims definitely simulate air, even though they don't think of it like a virtual material. They just model all of it's effects. I'm pretty sure DCS would model vacuum if you hacked the world to have air pressure of zero. The engines wouldn't work, and if you spawned an airplane a mile in the air it would fall with no lift or drag.

So at some point you have to ask more philosophical questions like "what do you mean by realistic" or "to simulate something, do you have to model it down to the molecule or what?"

Or you can just stop thinking that Star Citizen is any sort of useful example when talking about videogame development.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

making GBS threads poo poo

I watcheded :ohdear:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Don't forget the many, (way too loving) many 10FT# videos that all have the same minute-long intro that then cuts to an intro.

And no, in 90~ish episode, Chris still can't loving memorize the explanation for the videos theme/purpose.

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VltHlKsGgvM

SPACE DOOR shoutout at 3:22

Plural Abysss fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 23, 2016

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Do they do tours of the studios for fans? Like if I got the train to "the heart of Manchester" and was like hello yes Big Star Citizen Fan here, would they let me look around. To be fair I accidentally wandered into a Rockstar office building because I was on my way to a job interview and I needed a wee and there were very funny about security, so probably not

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

why do these dummies think there are builds that are significantly better that cig are holding back?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

cocaine dad show posted:

Do they do tours of the studios for fans? Like if I got the train to "the heart of Manchester" and was like hello yes Big Star Citizen Fan here, would they let me look around. To be fair I accidentally wandered into a Rockstar office building because I was on my way to a job interview and I needed a wee and there were very funny about security, so probably not

I have been tempted, it's not far from me at all

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Google Butt posted:

why do these dummies think there are builds that are significantly better that cig are holding back?

~~~***Faith***~~~

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Google Butt posted:

Honestly, because even the backers knows that the 2.whatever pre-alpha is really bad and that hardly any work have been done on the game the last 5 years. But they can't admit that to themselves or others, so they make up this stupid dev-build where everything works.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

you have to be the dumbest fucker imaginable to believe that

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

They gave Chris Roberts money...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The praise the game for being the most open development ever then swear until they are blue in the face there is a secret hidden build and that is just dandy!
And they have the loving NERVE to call themselves humans

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

The praise the game for being the most open development ever then swear until they are blue in the face there is a secret hidden build and that is just dandy!
And they have the loving NERVE to call themselves humans

please be nice to moma/logic sol

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

:five:

Awesome vid, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Google Butt posted:

Every lovely game in development for forever has had fans that think this and developers who lead them on.

• Locked thread