Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

After shows are a blight on the television landscape.

It's easy to just not DVR them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rhyno posted:

After shows are a blight on the television landscape.

They're really stupid and I would never watch em but eh at least it reinforces the networks' confidence in their show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't get after shows and I started to type a post saying as much... and then I remembered that I don't actually care because there's a million options and no one is making me watch anything. Its not like Person of Interest was canceled so that Hawaii 5-0 could get a post show, so why care?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I could conceive of caring because usually it's cable networks filling the hour after a show with garbage when they would normally re-air said show, which was nice if there was a DVR conflict, but it's never come up so I will continue to not care.

It's not like the early 2000s when yet another reality show meant one less good show; we're at peak TV and there's so much stuff on that one more hour of talking heads isn't coming at the cost of anything good.

And yeah I guess it's a good indicator that a show probably isn't going to get summarily canceled.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wish any after shows were any good.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's basically like the after show for sporting events. I'm waiting for the Mr Robot 2-hour pre-show show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

GreenNight posted:

It's basically like the after show for sporting events. I'm waiting for the Mr Robot 2-hour pre-show show.

In fairness sports post games tend to only go half an hour and heavily involve highlights from other games you missed while you were watching this one.

But hey, like I said, who cares? There's a million other things for me to watch when Mr. Robot or Better Call Saul is over. And who am I kidding? I binge those shows anyway.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pedro De Heredia posted:

You're giving HBO too much credit. They are kind of terrible at bringing shows to fruition and keeping them around these days.

Off the top of my head, they've had the David Fincher music video comedy (which didn't sound good tbh) which was scrapped in mid-production, the Utopia adaptation by Fincher which was scrapped shortly before it was supposed to start shooting, a Steve McQueen directed drama which had been greenlit and then they changed their minds and decided not to go for it, the Lewis & Clark miniseries which halted production mid-shoot, and Westworld's well-publicized issues.

Then there's a billion other projects that never went anywhere past a failed pilot. Which would be understandable if the series they were producing were uniformly high quality, but a lot of them have amounted to nothing (Togetherness? Looking? Getting On?).

Then they cancelled The Brink after renewing it and now they've done the same with Vinyl.

It's pretty clear that as a network they don't really know what it is they want to put onscreen and how to get it there, they just seem to be changing their minds about shows they're developing or that are already made at an alarming rate and there's no way so many talented people are producing so many poo poo pilots.

quote:

Lifetime had turned out to be a suitable companion after all. “I have friends who sold their projects to HBO,” Shapiro said. “And those projects are still in development.”

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/06/20/sarah-gertrude-shapiro-the-savagely-clever-feminist-behind-unreal

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Speaking of HBO shows I'm really looking forward to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veqxnUWa1Hk

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

I never watched it, but is true that it was set in 1974, and was about a burgeoning music scene that didn't include funk or disco? I saw the photo of the cast attached to the article and it was extremely lily white.

I feel like it would've been much more interesting if they'd done the 1950s or the 1960s than the 1970s. Just do the equivalent of the movie Ray as a TV show and you'd be golden.

The story of Motown or Atlantic or Stax would make a great drama series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

pentyne posted:

Isn't Pizzolatto the crazy loving a-hole who's the reason season 2 tanked? I thought everyone agreed that Fukugawa's role as director is what made season 1 so special.

One of the bigwig HBO executives said it was all their fault because they pushed him to put something out when he wasn't ready.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

S2 reeked of executive meddling and HBO is all too glad to let Pizzolatto and the public believe it was his fault.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Dexo posted:

Speaking of HBO shows I'm really looking forward to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veqxnUWa1Hk

This looks fantastic

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
HBO kind of seems like a mess right now, and they'll likely be in deep poo poo once GoT ends.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Spatula City posted:

HBO kind of seems like a mess right now, and they'll likely be in deep poo poo once GoT ends.

Haha. Ends. Like they aren't gonna just drag it on for ever.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Snak posted:

The main show will end, that much is certain. I'm betting they have a spinoff though.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Spatula City posted:

Same with AMC and The Walking Dead. It seems like Peak TV is leading more to anyone and everyone having one or two good scripted shows rather than one channel dominating everything, which is great for creators and not so great for people who want to watch shows legally without subscribing to a half dozen proprietary streaming services.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snak posted:

The "main" actors are getting renewals for 2 more seasons at least and supposedly everyone is getting big raises.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

The "main" actors are getting renewals for 2 more seasons at least and supposedly everyone is getting big raises.

I don't know what that means. Do raises correlate to the she ending somehow?

They have plenty of time to play musical main characters and rotate new completely new characters into the show. But I don't really care either way.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Every time they've been asked in the last couple years, the showrunners said there will be 7 to 8 seasons. And now they're saying 8 and that the last couple seasons will be short. It's ending. But I expect HBO to try a spin-off.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I can't believe Looking, a show nobody watches, gets a movie ending while Deadwood is still going nowhere.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Spatula City posted:

They've still got at least 2 years before GoT ends, maybe they can come up with something in that time.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Snak posted:

From what I know, it seems like the showrunners are actively working to bring the show to a point where it can logically end, tying up loose ends, ending dumb plotlines, bringing characters together; like how Sansa, Jon, Melisandre, and Davos are in one place, Tyrion, Daenerys, and Theon in another, and most of the other characters that matter are in King's Landing.
I think a significant number of characters are going to bite it in the season finale, too. The show is finally compressing rather than expanding, so it would probably be kind of difficult to extend it past a certain point. They're also basically completely out of usable source material, fwiw.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Spatula City posted:

From what I know, it seems like the showrunners are actively working to bring the show to a point where it can logically end, tying up loose ends, ending dumb plotlines, bringing characters together; like how Sansa, Jon, Melisandre, and Davos are in one place, Tyrion, Daenerys, and Theon in another, and most of the other characters that matter are in King's Landing.
I think a significant number of characters are going to bite it in the season finale, too. The show is finally compressing rather than expanding, so it would probably be kind of difficult to extend it past a certain point. They're also basically completely out of usable source material, fwiw.

that's good to hear, I guess.

The part about being out of source material has never stopped a tv show everv though, so I think it's funny people expect the show to give a poo poo when the books end.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They wont go past another 2 seasons because then the paychecks for the actors becomes too huge. And some of them like Natalie Dormer and Emilia Clarke are getting too famous and rather do movies.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean I guess I've just seen so many shows that rotate in new lead characters to continue with being cash cows rather than end. For a show that is such a loving brand icon, I don't see why HBO would let the entire main cast leaving stand in the way of continuing the show.

They could do a spinoff instead.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
There's already material for a spin-off if they don't want to create something original.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

I never watched it, but is true that it was set in 1974, and was about a burgeoning music scene that didn't include funk or disco? I saw the photo of the cast attached to the article and it was extremely lily white.

The show focuses on punk/rock because that's what the main character wanted to re-brand his new label into, but it doesn't ignore funk/disco. There are few subplots:
-The record label trying to court Hannibal Lokumbe to defect to them (I guess he is jazz/soul but he is played off as a funk/disco guy)
-The black guys in the mail room are stealing records to play at discos/clubs in return for drugs and a good time. This results in the execs wondering why records they aren't pushing are becoming underground hits.
-The main character comes across a guy spinning records and loves what he is seeing/hearing, but he is managed by a blues musician he screwed over back in the day so he needs to win him over. This story wasn't fleshed out greatly but you could tell it was going to form the basis for future season story lines.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

There's already material for a spin-off if they don't want to create something original.

Dunk and Egg spinoff would be awesome.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

xcore posted:

It would be such a completely different show too. Tiny cast, and very episodic.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When has HBO done spinoffs. It's not like they were desperate to do more True Blood or Sopranos.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

theflyingexecutive posted:

S2 reeked of executive meddling and HBO is all too glad to let Pizzolatto and the public believe it was his fault.

And the internet nerd public is all too happy to believe season 2 sucked (even though it didn't) and all the different conspiracy theories they've made up about why it "sucked" just cuz the season didn't personally cater to what they thought it should be and they personally dislike pizzolato and his overnight success

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

savinhill posted:

And the internet nerd public is all too happy to believe season 2 sucked (even though it didn't) and all the different conspiracy theories they've made up about why it "sucked" just cuz the season didn't personally cater to what they thought it should be and they personally dislike pizzolato and his overnight success

Literally everyone thought that S2 sucked, HBO themselves even apologized for what a garbage fire it was.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

savinhill posted:

Except there was that interview where the president of HBO admitted to rushing TD s2 out the door and apologizing for it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

When has HBO done spinoffs. It's not like they were desperate to do more True Blood or Sopranos.

Neither were Game of Thrones.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Game of Thrones could compensate them by fulling funding their dig for a further three years.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Highlights of True Detective Season 2:

-having twice as many characters as season one when half of them had no reason to be involved with the main story
-hiring action movie director Justin Lin to work on the show and having him not direct the episodes with actual big action scenes
-having a subplot about a movie studio that existed almost entirely so Nicky Pizzas could make potshots at a Cary Fukunaga stand-in after he left the show
-Tim Riggins' entire plotline about him being a deeply closested homosexual willing to kill to hide his secret being over a decade past the point where it would be believable let alone relevant
-following up the first season's incredibly tense single-shot action setpiece with a dull mess where a guy armed with infinite ammo and a camera that cuts away every half second mows down an entire squad of policemen in broad daylight
-Vince Vaughn thinking that staring into the middle distance and flatly delivering his lines is all it takes to look deep and mysterious
-having the entire ending of the finale spoiled in a dream sequence for no reason and then still trying to act like its dramatic and shocking when it all happens

On the plus side at least it didn't lift entire passages of dialogue from Alan Moore comics like season one did.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

xcore posted:

I was under the impression that HBO has already backed a dumptruck of money and lemoncakes up to the Gurm's house and signed him on for some sort of other show, presumably dunk and egg or his magnum opus/autobiography, The Pear Shaped Man.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

I can't believe Looking, a show nobody watches, gets a movie ending while Deadwood is still going nowhere.

Is this a joke I don't understand, because Deadwood's movie was greenlit and EW were doing photo shoots just the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure the single best scene in TD season 2 is Vince Vaughn walking in the desert at the end.

Oh and when Colin Farrell beat up that kid's dad.

So 2 good scenes out of 8 episodes.

I can't believe I watched that whole lovely season. I wanted it to be good, or I wanted to like it.

Mostly I don't have anything against Vince Vaughn or Colin Farrell and I wanted the people who saw their casting as a bad sign to be wrong.

It's like they forgot to write a loving plot. They wrote characters with issues, and forgot to have a plot that related to those issues and allowed the narrative to explore the interaction between the universe and human nature. And they didn't have the characters actually interact with each-other at all. For 90% of the show, we were only following one character at a time.

edit: Now I just want to watch season 1 again. I've already watched it twice. It's so good.

• Locked thread