Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

It's so weird seeing the rerelease of DMC4 being hailed as a modern classic when the original game got a ton of poo poo at launch for being anime as gently caress with a boring new protagonist on top of the bad level design and recycling/backtracking. I'm sure backlash against the western DmC game had a lot to do you th it but still.

Possibly. Maybe they looked at it and after seeing DmC get things so, so wrong they learned to live with some of the annoyances in the earlier games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leal posted:

I don't play the game and this infuriates me. Do the DD guys sit down with a white board and go "How else can we add tedium to the game?"

Imagine if From Software, after releasing Demon's Souls, had listened strictly to the feedback from people who thought item burden was awesome and said "git gud" unironically and made their next game based around what those people liked. Because that's basically what happened to Darkest Dungeon. It was a fun game at first but now it's kind of bullshit because it's so determined by RNG that it's entirely possible to set out well over-prepared and just lose because the game decides you're not going to win and kill everyone off with surprise attacks and random events you have zero control over.

Lizard Wizard posted:

"Y'know, the concept of paper is coming up a lot in this game called Paper Mario and it's really starting to chafe my rear end."

Well that's the thing, it didn't really in the first game outside of a few minor jokes the game didn't really draw much attention to. It was just a Mario RPG where everything happened to be made out of paper, the paper thing didn't have to be a central theme to it and I just liked that more, that's all. :shrug:

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Jun 23, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Haven't seen this, but have you ever played Devil May Cry 4? About half the cutscenes in that game are cringeworthy enough that I physically couldn't stand to watch them. Especially the scene where one of the main bad guys starts doing some sort of Shakespearean play type thing for no reason and good lord is it terrible.

I'm sorry but what is wrong with you holy poo poo.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
^^^^^
You can all think I'm wrong but this is literally the only place I've seen where it isn't unanimously agreed upon that the cutscenes in DMC4 are embarassing beyond what any video game has managed to offer to date.

Fingerless Gloves posted:

This is the most wrong opinion

Did you not see the scene when Dante unlocks Lucifer and does a flamenco dance out of demon crystal spears that turns a monolith into a giant stone heart that then splits down the middle? As a game it plays great, but I can't see how anyone can possibly defend the poo poo that goes on in the cutscenes in that game.

Nuebot posted:

Imagine if From Software, after releasing Demon's Souls, had listened strictly to the feedback from people who thought item burden was awesome and said "git gud" unironically and made their next game based around what those people liked. Because that's basically what happened to Darkest Dungeon. It was a fun game at first but now it's kind of bullshit because it's so determined by RNG that it's entirely possible to set out well over-prepared and just lose because the game decides you're not going to win and kill everyone off with surprise attacks and random events you have zero control over.

I played DD in early access some time right before they added the Arbalest and Houndmaster classes and it seemed like a good amount of fun. Then they kept patching it to add more and more bullshit and it was more or less unplayable last I checked. It wasn't even the damage or corpses or anything, everyone would just get too stressed out from every single thing and start going insane and killing each other or refusing to attack or dying from heart attacks. Some dumb zombie threw his drink at you and did 2 damage, it's not necessary for you to have a complete mental breakdown.

NoEyedSquareGuy has a new favorite as of 23:29 on Jun 23, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nuebot posted:

It was just a Mario RPG where everything happened to be made out of paper, the paper thing didn't have to be a central theme to it and I just liked that more, that's all. :shrug:

uhhhhhhhhhhh

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
Is this the one where the lead director decided to model the character to look almost exactly like him and it ended up looking like a nerd in bad cosplay?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

^^^^^
You can all think I'm wrong but this is literally the only place I've seen where it isn't unanimously agreed upon that the cutscenes in DMC4 are embarassing beyond what any video game has managed to offer to date.

Did you not see the scene when Dante unlocks Lucifer and does a flamenco dance out of demon crystal spears that turns a monolith into a giant stone heart that then splits down the middle? As a game it plays great, but I can't see how anyone can possibly defend the poo poo that goes on in the cutscenes in that game.

3, the best entry in the series, was equally bizzare so as cliche as it is I guess you just don't "get" it :/

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

everyone would just get too stressed out from every single thing and start going insane and killing each other or refusing to attack or dying from heart attacks. Some dumb zombie threw his drink at you and did 2 damage, it's not necessary for you to have a complete mental breakdown.

This was definitely one of the biggest things they kept changing, they really loved their stress system and hated letting you mitigate it. It gets worse as the game goes on too. It was even worse when they took a hammer to the death's door system. That was where if your guy was hit and killed he'd have a random chance to survive with one HP and for a lot of bosses it was almost vital to use this to live because they'd just do so much damage that surviving was really hard, and by the time you could survive their attacks your guys would be out of the level range because balance. So they set it so if your guy did survive an attack with death's door they'd get a permanent stat debuff.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

^^^^^

that sounds badass

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

RagnarokAngel posted:

3, the best entry in the series, was equally bizzare so as cliche as it is I guess you just don't "get" it :/

Agreed that 3 is the best, but it made more sense there in a way since Dante is younger and the cheese factor was never ramped up quite as high from what I can remember. I accept him as the cocky, eccentric character but there were a few times in 4 where it felt like they were trying way, way too hard.

Then the second half of the game is just running through the whole game in reverse but that's already been complained about endlessly.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Boofchicken posted:

Is this the one where the lead director decided to model the character to look almost exactly like him and it ended up looking like a nerd in bad cosplay?

I liked Dante's redesign since he actually did look like some cocky little shithead punk. The plucky teenage girl sidekick being bland self-plagiarism of the plucky teenage girl sidekick from Enslaved was a lot worse, especially when they should have put a Piggsy character in the game instead.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lizard Wizard posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhh

On paper (:thejoke:) it really does sound like a dumb argument but I get it. The original Paper Mario was 2.5D and that was basically the end of it, the later games really bite into the theme of pretending to be a book or printouts or showing cardboard edges or making a bunch of goofy paper puns and so on.

I don't mind it myself but I follow the logic behind the argument.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
dying light does not let you change your buttons around on a controller. why do games do this? i just want jump on X and "survivor sense" on RB.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My new favorite thing dragging down a game is how Dishonored: Definitive Edition doesn't let you turn off the speaker on the PS4 controller, and it's used sooo loving much holy poo poo

This is probably the worst feature in a game, in all time. In what conceiavble loving circumstances would this ever be a good and cool thing to do. After everyones gone to bed and I've smoked a bowl I do not want the terrible, sharp, static-ridden noise that loving speaker can make, I do not want the love of my life to wake up to the freakish loving alien sex noises made whenever you use a power, and honestly youre playing it wrong if you're not using powers all the time.

I honestly wish I could tell the person that first got the idea of putting a tiny lil babby speaker in a controller that would make ears bleed, that they are a bad person, like for real bad.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Hold down the ps button, you can turn the speaker off in the device settings

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Biplane posted:

My new favorite thing dragging down a game is how Dishonored: Definitive Edition doesn't let you turn off the speaker on the PS4 controller, and it's used sooo loving much holy poo poo

I'm not home right now to check, but I'm pretty sure there's a setting on the PS4 itself to have all audio come out of your sound system and basically turn off the controller's speaker.

Edit: Beaten, of course...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Well that's the thing, it didn't really in the first game outside of a few minor jokes the game didn't really draw much attention to. It was just a Mario RPG where everything happened to be made out of paper, the paper thing didn't have to be a central theme to it and I just liked that more, that's all. :shrug:

Did you complain about kirby's epic yarn and yoshi's woolly world too

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

SwissDonkey posted:

Hold down the ps button, you can turn the speaker off in the device settings

CordlessPen posted:

I'm not home right now to check, but I'm pretty sure there's a setting on the PS4 itself to have all audio come out of your sound system and basically turn off the controller's speaker.

Edit: Beaten, of course...

I wish i could hug the both of you

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Digirat posted:

I didn't play Epic Yarn but Woolly World would work just fine without the whole yarn gimmick.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Digirat posted:

I didn't play either but they were presumably built around the whole gimmick whereas like I said, in the first paper mario it wasn't but in the second they just decide to start drawing attention to it more. I really didn't expect this to be the thing to bother people in the dragging down games topic, honestly. I could go back to talking about bloodborne?

EDIT: Wait no I got one. In Final Fantasy XIV they have these fanfest meetup things where if you go you get some cool looking exclusive items and I am too poor to go, nor do I want to buy the code off some jerk reselling it. So I will forever lack a silly looking moogle hat. :(

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Nuebot posted:

This was definitely one of the biggest things they kept changing, they really loved their stress system and hated letting you mitigate it. It gets worse as the game goes on too. It was even worse when they took a hammer to the death's door system. That was where if your guy was hit and killed he'd have a random chance to survive with one HP and for a lot of bosses it was almost vital to use this to live because they'd just do so much damage that surviving was really hard, and by the time you could survive their attacks your guys would be out of the level range because balance. So they set it so if your guy did survive an attack with death's door they'd get a permanent stat debuff.

I haven't played in a while but I'm pretty sure the death's door debuff is semi-permanent while you're still running the dungeon and that's it. Your characters also can't be killed unless they're already on death's door, so any heal means they can tank indefinitely (but stress ramps). You can't stack death's door live chance to 100% any more, I'm pretty sure you used to be able to do that.

Also they introduced the ability to raise the starting level of your dudes a few patches ago. If your heroes gamble away your one-of-a-kind boss trinkets you can even get them back now :v:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I really love the idle game Zombidle, but man does it take a while after restarting to get back to where you were, progress-wise.

At the moment I can generally get through level 300/320ish rather effectively. The way the game is designed, you have to destroy ten buildings per difficulty level, so when I restart I have to go through 3,000 buildings to get where I was before. Even if I'm one-shotting them, it adds up. Bonus points for the game not having the option to keep your phone/tablet's screen on, so I have to change my actual screen timeout so I don't have to poke the screen every five minutes.

It's funny because the game just got an update where there's more zones that try to fix this by having a higher starting difficulty and a corresponding higher final difficulty, but the bump is so low (yay! it starts at level 50 instead of 1!) that it hardly helps. And if you want to max out your improvements, you need to start at L1 (or go back afterwards to backfarm).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Agreed that 3 is the best, but it made more sense there in a way since Dante is younger and the cheese factor was never ramped up quite as high from what I can remember.

You remember wrong.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Haven't seen this, but have you ever played Devil May Cry 4? About half the cutscenes in that game are cringeworthy enough that I physically couldn't stand to watch them. Especially the scene where one of the main bad guys starts doing some sort of Shakespearean play type thing for no reason and good lord is it terrible.

:psyduck:

For reference, anyone who hasn't played DMC4, this is what he's referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpME4riPI1k

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Agreed that 3 is the best, but it made more sense there in a way since Dante is younger and the cheese factor was never ramped up quite as high from what I can remember.

Go check out one of the DMC3 lets plays and refresh your memory. You're so wrong.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Agreed that 3 is the best, but it made more sense there in a way since Dante is younger and the cheese factor was never ramped up quite as high from what I can remember. I accept him as the cocky, eccentric character but there were a few times in 4 where it felt like they were trying way, way too hard.

Then the second half of the game is just running through the whole game in reverse but that's already been complained about endlessly.

Phone posting but look up the cutscene where you get the guitar

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That comes across as your typical mad scientist bad guy speech, except this time the (anti)hero rolls with it instead of giving confused and angsty responses.

I like it, it fills my dark soul with liiiiiight.

Edit: Also, Devil May Cry 3 was one of the first games where the motion capture and voice acting was done by the same actors. I assume they did the same thing with the fourth game (they casted a former Power Ranger as the other protagonist, so why not?). That scene seems like an elaborate attempt to have fun with that tech and show it off.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 13:52 on Jun 24, 2016

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
my friend gifted me dmc. i'm gonna power through it and post here as i go here.

MiddleOne posted:

For reference, anyone who hasn't played DMC4, this is what he's referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpME4riPI1k

something i like about demon designs from japanese devs like capcom and team ninja were that they looked like they came from japanese superhero shows, but with a better budget. the bosses in onimusha 2 and ninja gaiden, in particular.

i don't see that in western action games. demon designs look more like doom derivatives or generic hellish designs.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Action Tortoise posted:

something i like about demon designs from japanese devs like capcom and team ninja were that they looked like they came from japanese superhero shows, but with a better budget. the bosses in onimusha 2 and ninja gaiden, in particular.

i don't see that in western action games. demon designs look more like doom derivatives or generic hellish designs.

Part of that might be Atlus' main artist, Kazuma Kaneko, being really prolific in the PS2 era. Even though he only did designs for DMC3, he probably influenced the series more beyond just that. And he was elsewhere, too.

Currently that balance has gone the other way, which is neat; the guy currently doing the demon designs for the Shin Megami Tensei games actually did work on Kamen Rider.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Action Tortoise posted:

It's honestly not that bad, assuming you go into it without a giant chip on your shoulder about how they RUINED EVERYTHING, Not My Dante, etc.

Though I never got to the infamous sniper scene...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

John Murdoch posted:

It's honestly not that bad, assuming you go into it without a giant chip on your shoulder about how they RUINED EVERYTHING, Not My Dante, etc.

It's funny because originally Ninja Theory was making the game a lot more mechanically similar to the original games and Capcom made them change it because they wanted to target a wider audience, but the internet's narrative is that it was the filthy gaijin developers that casualized everything and killed the series forever.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Really DmC's big screaming flaw is the mechanic where some enemies can only be hurt with devil or angel arms, and not the other.

The devil arms are these single target, high damage attacks, while angel arms are wide area, low damage attacks. The problem with this is pretty obvious from a cursory glance, the enemies who can only take damage from angel arms take longer to kill because the attacks do less damage.

There's also just a fundamental problem that outright limiting your arsenal against certain enemies isn't good gameplay.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty solid third person action game and I thought the protagonist worked well enough. I could definitely see it being very disappointing if you were expecting DMC5, though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Also, there's a boss fight where you go into the Internet to duel Fox News. Which is literally a talking head.

DmC was a lot of fun and definitely still crazy and over-the-top.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Somehow still less embarrassing than the succubus from DmC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEXe55h9Nec&t=60s

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Type-0 has really weird pacing with weapon upgrades. The Weapon shop claims "The more territory we claim the better the stuff we can carry" but midway through chapter 7 and that shop hasn't got anything beyong the +5 weapons. I had unlocked most characters +8 weapons after getting x number of kills with each, which I have been using for the entire game since due to never unlocking anything else - until now, where I unlocked a weapon that required Queen to get 700 Kills or something like that, the Hoarfrost sword, whih rocketed her strength from +5 to +46. Whata the hell? I glad I finally got a substantial upgrade but the pacing is so weird.

Edit: Looking at a wiki aparently there were a ton of upgrades I missed in towns. Whoops. Next stop - Roshana for the +16s!

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:27 on Jun 24, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

It's funny because originally Ninja Theory was making the game a lot more mechanically similar to the original games and Capcom made them change it because they wanted to target a wider audience, but the internet's narrative is that it was the filthy gaijin developers that casualized everything and killed the series forever.

No, Capcom brought in advisory staff because Ninja Theory was floundering in terms of combat and enemy design. They didn't really have any idea what they were doing from the word go.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Playing even a short session of Crypt of the NecroDancer causes involuntary rhytmic movements while browsing internet.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Was just reminded of something that bugs me in just about every open world GTA clone out there: muscle cars. Or basically any car that goes super fast but has abysmal steering to make up for it. Given how often you're tasked with zig-zagging through city blocks or dodging traffic, I have no idea what niche they're supposed to fill.

Edit: Actually, wasn't it a lot harder to roll around in a sports car all the time in older games? (Not to mention inherently lower map and traffic density.) Nowadays there's very few, if any, hurdles to driving exactly what you want, whenever you want.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 00:57 on Jun 26, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

John Murdoch posted:

Was just reminded of something that bugs me in just about every open world GTA clone out there: muscle cars. Or basically any car that goes super fast but has abysmal steering to make up for it. Given how often you're tasked with zig-zagging through city blocks or dodging traffic, I have no idea what niche they're supposed to fill.

Edit: Actually, wasn't it a lot harder to roll around in a sports car all the time in older games? (Not to mention inherently lower map and traffic density.) Nowadays there's very few, if any, hurdles to driving exactly what you want, whenever you want.

My favorite car for aesthetic reasons in Saint's Row 3 was the Wraith, a Tron-Line sports car that was stupidly fast and had insane turning. Once you got used to it it was actually really good to drive for that game, because it could make really solid ninety degree turns, so I used that thing all the time and just decided to be the most cyberpunk motherfucker I was capable of being once I started nailing those turns.

But then I couldn't use it for poo poo in SR4, because my ridiculously specific driving skills deteriorated between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Cleretic posted:

My favorite car for aesthetic reasons in Saint's Row 3 was the Wraith, a Tron-Line sports car that was stupidly fast and had insane turning. Once you got used to it it was actually really good to drive for that game, because it could make really solid ninety degree turns, so I used that thing all the time and just decided to be the most cyberpunk motherfucker I was capable of being once I started nailing those turns.

But then I couldn't use it for poo poo in SR4, because my ridiculously specific driving skills deteriorated between them.

You actually drove cars in SR4? Why? The protagonist ran faster than cars.

I'm replaying GTA5, and so far, I'm honestly amazed at how much detail this game has. I'm really taking my time with the game, and now I notice there's a tremendous amount of things I missed simply by finishing it too quickly. It's actually really good and enjoyable. The only thing dragging the game down is that it eats RAM for breakfast. It actually uses about 7 gigs of RAM just by itself. When I have it running, I can't do anything else with my computer because there simply isn't enough memory to go around. That and it was a huge install.

My only complaints, honestly.