Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Johnny Law posted:

The satisfaction of bouncing a grenade into a zombie, finished off with that squnchy gib sound, is the best.

That. I feel people missed out on when Quake was the competitive shooter and how important the multiplayer scene was. The verticality, advanced movement, and non-line-of-sight weaponry made the skill ceiling higher than it had ever been before. *bing* *bing* *bingbingbing* *SPLAT!* was at the time one of the most satisfying feelings in competitive gaming because you controlled the resources and predicted the enemy's movement well enough to kill them around a corner with no recourse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Zeratanis posted:

e; Beat that map~ Decided gently caress trying to kill everything. Found a BFG and just rushed through the rest cause holy crap that map sucked.

Oh boy, you're going to love Hell Revealed.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Klaus88 posted:

You should play alien vendetta if you want really lovely maps, friend.

6 cyberdemons in the equivalent of a broom closet

The horror...

Apologies if my irony meter is offline, but :lol: at calling AV lovely.

Also, if I'm thinking of the right encounter, isn't there an invulnerability for that fight even on UV?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

That. I feel people missed out on when Quake was the competitive shooter and how important the multiplayer scene was. The verticality, advanced movement, and non-line-of-sight weaponry made the skill ceiling higher than it had ever been before. *bing* *bing* *bingbingbing* *SPLAT!* was at the time one of the most satisfying feelings in competitive gaming because you controlled the resources and predicted the enemy's movement well enough to kill them around a corner with no recourse.

I pity the people for whom overwatch is their first non-console style FPS. They will never learn to rocket jump.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Oh boy, you're going to love Hell Revealed.

Seriously, AV ain't got nothing on the poo poo Hell Revealed will throw at you.

:getin:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A.o.D. posted:

I pity the people for whom overwatch is their first non-console style FPS. They will never learn to rocket jump.

I don't think I've played a game that has useful rocket jumping besides Team Fortress 2.

edit: And, yknow, Quake.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CJacobs posted:

I don't think I've played a game that has useful rocket jumping besides Team Fortress 2.

edit: And, yknow, Quake.

Unreal Tournament games.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

That's the advanced movement that got people addicted. It got to the point where almost every dm server had the ubiquitous grappling hook and it became Joust with rocket launchers.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
you can totes rocket jump with pharrah

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You can rocket jump, concussion boost, and ski, just like Tribes 2 all over again.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I just got completely blindsided by Reelism's secret ending today. What a lovely thing it was. Highly recommended.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dr Snofeld posted:

I just got completely blindsided by Reelism's secret ending today. What a lovely thing it was. Highly recommended.

Holy Brick + Dog Pope? Yeah, it's definitely something.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

Holy Brick + Dog Pope? Yeah, it's definitely something.

I think it's just any boss, I got it with A Motherfucking Wizard In A Motherfucking Monster Truck.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, the secret ending doesn't require a specific boss. You just need the Holy Brick.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

Yeah, the secret ending doesn't require a specific boss. You just need the Holy Brick.

I need to experience this.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
I never really considered it until this week, but thought of it since it is the 20th anniversary of both the following games.

Which was technically superior (in terms of 3D engine) Quake or Super Mario 64? At the time I was all for quake despite the brownness as I found it a more addicting less frustrating game (SM64 is still great though) but in terms of 3D/graphical performance for the time is quake technically superior? It is very brown

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
What does "technically superior" mean when you compare two games from different genres running on different platforms with very different strengths and limitations?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you just go down just a list of tech buzzwords Quake probably wins thanks to its networking and extensibility features. What Mario brought to the table was gameplay and control innovation.

And yeah, it was also running on a totally different hardware platform.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 24, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Babylon Astronaut posted:

That's the advanced movement that got people addicted. It got to the point where almost every dm server had the ubiquitous grappling hook and it became Joust with rocket launchers.

And it was glorious.

gently caress I loved me some 3wave CTF. voosh.wav

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Blackfyre posted:

I never really considered it until this week, but thought of it since it is the 20th anniversary of both the following games.

Which was technically superior (in terms of 3D engine) Quake or Super Mario 64? At the time I was all for quake despite the brownness as I found it a more addicting less frustrating game (SM64 is still great though) but in terms of 3D/graphical performance for the time is quake technically superior? It is very brown

The Mario 64 engine is technically inferior compared straight up, but a close tie with Quake running on its own original hardware for technical ability in bringing in that kind of 3D performance given the platform its on.

If you compare things straight up, a lot more things had to be sprite based in Mario 64 where nearly everything in Quake was a 3D model. Also, Quake supported a lot more texture mapping stuff - but it didn't have to deal with a 4 kilobyte texture cache in the first place.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hasn't mario64 been more or less recreated in the quake engine? Or am I thinking of an entirely different engine?

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
https://twitter.com/machinegames/status/746363189768650752

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Holy poo poo! Very cool.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wow! Can you imagine being in charge of creating that? Like your job for a month or three is delving back into Quake and just going nuts.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wow! Can you imagine being in charge of creating that? Like your job for a month or three is delving back into Quake and just going nuts.
"Where the gently caress are the megatexture tools? All I have are these 64x64 tiles..."

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Some time after Wolf: TNO came out someone asked one of the developers in an interview about what game they'd like to work on next and they said they'd like to do a Quake reboot if they got the chance, so there's that.

Edit: Found it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

fishmech posted:

The Mario 64 engine is technically inferior compared straight up, but a close tie with Quake running on its own original hardware for technical ability in bringing in that kind of 3D performance given the platform its on.

If you compare things straight up, a lot more things had to be sprite based in Mario 64 where nearly everything in Quake was a 3D model. Also, Quake supported a lot more texture mapping stuff - but it didn't have to deal with a 4 kilobyte texture cache in the first place.
Another thing to note is that all lighting in SM64 is flat-shaded, while Quake's use of lightmaps allows for some very striking, complex shadows to be cast by level geometry.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Well they announced a new Quake game at E3 that's taking the Q3 route of multiplayer arena shooter. Tim Willits (he must be the only 90s id vet still working there?) said in a interview that theyre "not shutting the door" on a new single-player Quake game, I'd say there's a pretty good shot of it happening given the success of Doom 2016.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

Tim Willits (he must be the only 90s id vet still working there?)
Kevin Cloud is still there. And Donna the Id Mom.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

that settles it, I'm going to dig out my old quake CD and install it this weekend. Will it run on a modern machine or do I have to use a source port?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The Kins posted:

Kevin Cloud is still there. And Donna the Id Mom.

So they are. Love that Donna's actual job title appears to be "iD Mom" according to her LinkedIn.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

that settles it, I'm going to dig out my old quake CD and install it this weekend. Will it run on a modern machine
It should.

A.o.D. posted:

do I have to use a source port?
You should.

Mostly because GLQuake is missing some effects from Software that source ports like Quakespasm and Darkplaces re-implement.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

that settles it, I'm going to dig out my old quake CD and install it this weekend. Will it run on a modern machine or do I have to use a source port?
The original CD release is MS-DOS. Just use Quakespasm, it works very nicely under modern platforms without throwing in any modern effects or whatever.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
I suppose the anniversary means I should actually give Quake 1 a proper playthrough. I played (and enjoyed) the shareware episode, but never got around to the entire game just because I was (am) enjoying Doom 2 maps more.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

daft punk railroad posted:

I suppose the anniversary means I should actually give Quake 1 a proper playthrough. I played (and enjoyed) the shareware episode, but never got around to the entire game just because I was (am) enjoying Doom 2 maps more.
Episodes 2 and 3 are good fun!

Episode 4 is Spawn Hell and I don't like it quite as much, but it still has its moments.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Kins posted:

The original CD release is MS-DOS. Just use Quakespasm, it works very nicely under modern platforms without throwing in any modern effects or whatever.

I don't mind modern effects, especially stuff like better dynamic lighting, more realistic shadows, higher quality texture filtering, anti-aliasing, and 3-D soundprocessing. Once I got a 3d accellerator, I never once went back to win or gl quake. I don't want to go back to software mode now. So if I go with a source port, I'd like some bells and whistles.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

what are the pro-tier quake single player campaigns/mods?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

I don't mind modern effects, especially stuff like better dynamic lighting, more realistic shadows, higher quality texture filtering, anti-aliasing, and 3-D soundprocessing. Once I got a 3d accellerator, I never once went back to win or gl quake. I don't want to go back to software mode now. So if I go with a source port, I'd like some bells and whistles.
Well, the thing is that the premiere "bells-and-whistles" source port, Darkplaces, is sort of falling behind, not having been updated since 2014. Quakespasm actually supports maps that DP doesn't, whether it's due to new entities that DP can't correctly handle (like the giblet spawners in func_mapjam3) or level geometry that's so complex that DP just stops rendering it entirely, resulting in holes in the level (more common in more-recent maps, particularly outdoorsy ones with complex mountainsides/cliff faces).

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Also honestly Quake content wasn't designed with various modern bells-n-whistles in mind. It can be fun to experiment with, but eventually to me it all started looking like that picture being shared around a while back, with all those garish super HD bumpmapped textures on the minecraft pig.

e: can't find the pig pic right now, but maybe some more useful illustrations...

Most of the people who still play Quake are fine with things like widescreen, higher res, and even tasteful colored lighting. Where the "purists" bail out is usually at the line of "HD textures" (sometimes just textures with noise added to make them look more detailed) and extra lighting effects etc.

I think Quake generally looks great without that stuff, especially on modern maps: http://steamcommunity.com/id/jlaw/screenshots/?appid=2310

There's some pretty dire stuff going on with the "HD packs" though:

It's not all that bad of course. But even the best stuff is hit-or-miss since the original map designers didn't expect the sorts of changes that people are making.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I turn off the texture filtering in quakespasm, pixels4lyfe