Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah. It doesn't have such a deep and complex story than you can't tell it in two hours on screen. There aren't big movements in the plot that necessitate breathing room. Splitting the book into two movies sounds like it's going to drag a ton.

Imagine if they made the first LotR trilogy these days. It would be five movies long, but at least the nerds would shut up about not having Tom Bombadil or the Scouring of the Shire.

I actually knew someone at the time Fellowship came out that was pissed Fellowship wasn't it's own trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Electromax posted:

This might've been posted already, but it's one of my favorite books I read as a kid so I'm hoping the adaptation can do it justice. There's a lot of content stuffed in the book across a lot of years, even for 2 films.

The cast of the two-part It film adaptation is coming together.

The Losers:

They don't look real. The kid on the left looks like a mannequin.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Why the gently caress wasnt Derry Maine blasted off the map after all that went in there? Child eating clowns, shitweasels, etc. Gotta nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Wasnt lotr the most read book of all time after the bible?its cultural footprint even before the movies was huge.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Wasnt lotr the most read book of all time after the bible?its cultural footprint even before the movies was huge.

I'm not sure, I know Dune is the best selling Sci-fi novel of all time though and it's cultural footprint is negligible compared to the Bible.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Just watched ID4 and the sequel is coming up next. I did not remember that the lines "welcome to Earth" and "now that's what I call a close encounter" were said one right after the other with nothing but a small pause in between.

They gave us little flags to wave for President Pullman's speech and a bunch of people screamed "AMERICA!" :buddy: Some crowds are great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I remember when (white) people would quote it as "Welcome to Erf" which always struck me as super racist, since Will Smith has pretty clear enunciation both in general and specifically during that line.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Guy Mann posted:

I wouldn't quite say nostalgic, a big part of IT (and The Body/Stand By Me) is that the idyllic 50s were actually terrible and that people were just so repressed and/or damaged that they were willing to pretend problems didn't exist rather than confront it.

Yeah, nostalgic was the wrong word. 50s flavoring, maybe.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Skwirl posted:

I remember when (white) people would quote it as "Welcome to Erf" which always struck me as super racist, since Will Smith has pretty clear enunciation both in general and specifically during that line.

Welcome ta erf is just loving funny even if it's super racist

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Well bad news the second one sucks, though that still wasn't the worst double feature I have ever seen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ammanas posted:

Welcome ta erf is just loving funny even if it's super racist

It's like if I said "I'll be back" post in an effete French accent. Only, and you know, more racist.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The second one is better than the first but I'm drunk but I liked it way more.

It was more compact and not like a typical Emmeich. It's better. Like an Emmrich indi movie.!

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Actually you're wrong and the second one was far more longwinded and overstretching itself than the first. I also had a few of those so-called adult milkshakes so

The next time you think it's compact just think of that family of four kids + the busfull of boy/girl scouts that Jeff Goldblum's dad adopts after driving them to Area 51.

edit: things I liked

+ the spaceship design that alternated between tadpole, frog, and walking hand
+ some of the shots of the final boss
+ everything with that goofy scientist from the first movie who totally didn't die

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 24, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ID4 sucks poo poo after the aliens attack.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

ChainsawCharlie posted:

I think Don Quixote may be number two.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
ID4.2 is big, bombastic, and dumb as gently caress but I enjoyed the hell out it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

It's funny how they're jumping all over the place in this series. They started with the second book, used the first book for the sequel and now the third movie is the fourth book.

I read somewhere that the third book was a bit too close to National Treasure with the mason stuff. Of course they aren't making another sequel to that actively so that seems like an opportunity.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Is the final boss a godzillia sized exosuit think I saw that in the trailer and got super interested, worth the movie if thats all I want to see?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
It gets about 13 minutes of screentime out of the 2+ hours, there's a few different sequences with it, all at the very end.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Can we judge movies based on their theme songs? Because I didn't even know Fall Out Boy was still a thing let alone enough of a thing to do the theme song to one of the most anticipated (?) movies of the summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AQ44nPrRTM

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

GrandpaPants posted:

Can we judge movies based on their theme songs? Because I didn't even know Fall Out Boy was still a thing let alone enough of a thing to do the theme song to one of the most anticipated (?) movies of the summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AQ44nPrRTM

I don't know if I'm jealous or not that you missed out on their song that sampled the Munsters theme from last year.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Enos Cabell posted:

They could be ditching the framing story.

There's a lot in the book that can be excised, but the framing is practically the entire point of the story.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

The saddest thing is that if they'd just flipped the proportions of Missy and Fall Out Boy it might almost have been good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Is Dan Brown really still making a career out of writing the same book over and over, just swapping out the names and locations with whatever age-old religious conspiracy he looked up on Wikipedia this week?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

"Missy Elliot and Fall Out Boy do the theme song for the new Ghostbusters" sounds like a bad joke from 5 years ago.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

turtlecrunch posted:

Well bad news the second one sucks, though that still wasn't the worst double feature I have ever seen.
I'll bite, what was the worst and were the two movies actually in the same series?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Skwirl posted:

I just assumed it was people mashing Will Smith's character up with his Fresh Prince of Bel-Air character in their memory.

Len posted:

I don't know if I'm jealous or not that you missed out on their song that sampled the Munsters theme from last year.

Being unaware of something related to Fallout Boy is always something to be envied.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Is the final boss a godzillia sized exosuit think I saw that in the trailer and got super interested, worth the movie if thats all I want to see?

Maybe They went back to their Godzilla '98 roots...It does get to gently caress some poo poo up and it looks cool.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

raditts posted:

I just assumed it was people mashing Will Smith's character up with his Fresh Prince of Bel-Air character in their memory.

I haven't watched the movie in 18 years and I think in my mind I was picturing him saying it during that scene where he has a cigar in his mouth, so "earth" wouldn't have been said correctly in that case.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Hostile V posted:

I'll bite, what was the worst and were the two movies actually in the same series?

Yes they were. It was 21 Jump Street and 22 Jump Street, because the jokes are virtually identical.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I gotta watch those again. They're loving great. Thanks OP.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

CelticPredator posted:

I gotta watch those again. They're loving great. Thanks OP.

I'm eagerly awaiting for Hill and Tatum to trip balls on some alien drugs.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
The thing that always bothered me the most about Independence Day was the part in which Randy Quaid flies his jet into the ship and blows it up. As he pulls up and starts advancing on it, the plane climbs at an agonizingly slow rate, giving him time to deliver (in the exact same cadence and pitch) both lines they came up with for his heroic moment.

"In the words of my generation... UP.. YOOOOOUUUUURRRRSSSSS!!!!!!!!"
*ninety minutes pass*
"HELLO BOOOYSS!!! I'M.... BAAAA-AAAAAAACK!"
*seasons change*
*plane hits weapon and explodes*

That sequence is very bad to me

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do you think they ever approached Cousin Eddie about being in the new one? Hollywood finds ways to work with Polanski, so don't tell me it couldn't be done.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Lotish posted:

I haven't watched the movie in 18 years and I think in my mind I was picturing him saying it during that scene where he has a cigar in his mouth, so "earth" wouldn't have been said correctly in that case.

Judge for yourself.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cacator posted:

"Missy Elliot and Fall Out Boy do the theme song for the new Ghostbusters" sounds like a bad joke from 5 years ago.
5? poo poo, that's being generous.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

Do you think they ever approached Cousin Eddie about being in the new one? Hollywood finds ways to work with Polanski, so don't tell me it couldn't be done.
Polanski is a talented but rapey rear end in a top hat. Randy is a significantly less talented person whose crimes are certainly less severe, but he also just spent the last couple of years burning bridges.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

smackfu posted:

I read somewhere that the third book was a bit too close to National Treasure with the mason stuff. Of course they aren't making another sequel to that actively so that seems like an opportunity.

From what I remember the 3rd book was especially savaged by critics as being absolute trash so that might be why they avoided it.

I never saw the second movie but I read the first book, does the plot still revolve around the (not real) Illuminati and they're goofy brands that are words that look the same upside down?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

The thing that always bothered me the most about Independence Day was the part in which Randy Quaid flies his jet into the ship and blows it up. As he pulls up and starts advancing on it, the plane climbs at an agonizingly slow rate, giving him time to deliver (in the exact same cadence and pitch) both lines they came up with for his heroic moment.

"In the words of my generation... UP.. YOOOOOUUUUURRRRSSSSS!!!!!!!!"
*ninety minutes pass*
"HELLO BOOOYSS!!! I'M.... BAAAA-AAAAAAACK!"
*seasons change*
*plane hits weapon and explodes*

That sequence is very bad to me

It's a repeat of Will Smith getting two one-liners in a row – "Welcome to Earth" and "Now that's what I call a close encounter" – earlier in the film. The movie should really have done that a third time to make it more clearly a motif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

From what I remember the 3rd book was especially savaged by critics as being absolute trash so that might be why they avoided it.

I never saw the second movie but I read the first book, does the plot still revolve around the (not real) Illuminati and they're goofy brands that are words that look the same upside down?

Each book/movie has a different evil secret society with a different cartoonish henchman antagonist. Angels and Demons had the Illuminati and a swarthy arab assassin, DaVinci Code had Opus Dei and an evil albino killer.

• Locked thread