Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fat and Useless posted:

Loran wears a dress pretty good though. He has that over Heero and Mika.

"Hey Kamille put this dress on!"

I really need to finish Zeta...

Does he wear that dress again or is the dress' presence in the OP just representative of the relationship between Harry and the supposed Laura Rolla?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Cheap aesthetics (even if the fight choreography is good) and a story that spends most of its time as bland and bloated with steadily more frequent diversions into frothing batshit insanity? Unicorn was bland, but it was bland and pretty, and didn't slowly dissolve into a Dave Sim-esque rant on its writer's Very Important Views On Gender.
Pretty much how I feel exactly, though I think the choreography feels kind of samey as the show goes on as Usso keeps crashing parts of the Victory into things.

I don't think a single one of the characters was especially interesting either. Thematically I find the post-9/11 and War on Terror stuff in 00 more interesting than what's going on in Victory as well.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
As someone who has only watched 79, Zeta, and a bit of ZZ out of the Tomino shows I think what I like most out of them is Tomino's weirdness. Like, those shows are very weird and its kinda odd for me coming into this show because you never hear those aspects of it when you see them casually mention around.

I mean I haven't watched Victory yet where it sounds like these traits turn really negative but its what is really making me enjoy the shows he directs so far though.

I need to get back to watching ZZ, I was really having fun with it.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
Against better judgement I am going to come up to bat for Victory. It is certainly the weakest of all of Tomino's entries into Gundam but I'd gladly take it over a lot of UC side content, maybe even Unicorn. Admittedly I'd take 00 over either two choices though.

The important key to enjoying Victory isn't expecting a show that tries to be good, because I won't tell you that it is well-written. It's not a show with so much of a strong plot built on character development or focusing on on the shifting tides of war, but is just all about how the world of Universal Century has become completely hosed. Regular massive wars have depopulated the Earthsphere, the Federation has completely fallen apart that a major branch defected and the elite's do poo poo all about it. The only people left to fight a fascist aristocracy are basically children, women, and old men. Newtypes are nearly completely forgotten about, the hope they presented squandered, though they still technically exist. Even the first Victory Gundam itself is basically garbage that gets busted apart regularly. The villains understand what it symbolizes and are confused or enraged it's there, and the young heroes don't really know it's there or even want anything to do with it.

Tomino is trying absolutely everything he can get away with. It goes full grim, introducing a whole squad that gets killed off one by one as gruesomely as an early 90s TV show let's. It's completely bizarre with bug-eyed suits with beam helicopters and motorcycle battleships. Heroes sacrifice themselves for basically nothing. Even when villains are written off, it rarely delves into catharsis a monstrous human is dead or give them the proper reverence prototyped by Ramba Ral, and even the first time it does, it get's really loving out there. An early episode has Usso killing a villain's entire squad and being caught alive. The revelation that a child is fighting in a war pushes him to flat out blow himself up while crying over what the world has become, and that is always the microcosm of Victory to me. That or the time a cherry blossom grove is burnt to the ground during a meaningless battle.

The main upside to the show is that it some how ended up with some of the most dynamic fight scenes, and is incredibly well animated despite the noticeable lack of shading.

Victory is a flawed show, and that's kind of the point. The intent isn't to be good or enjoyable, and Tomino knows it isn't good. Tomino basically turns around and disavows a lot of his work, but there is none he disavows more vocally than Victory Gundam. in 2004 for the DVD release he was quoted, "These DVDs are not worth watching. Don't buy!" For the recent Bluray release he let up just a tiny bit, saying "This is a series that I want to deny completely. Such a result was all my responsibility. If you watch this Blu-ray due to some kind of mistake, please find what went wrong with 'Mobile Suit V Gundam.' If there is anyone who can learn something from it, we will have a meaning to release it as Blu-ray." And that's basically how you need to watch Victory Gundam.

That said, as much as I love Victory Gundam, it's still a bad show. It's fascinatingly bad, but still bad. But if you wanted to watch good anime, I don't know why you'd be into the Gundam franchise beyond a couple of its entries.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Waffleman_ posted:

Does he wear that dress again or is the dress' presence in the OP just representative of the relationship between Harry and the supposed Laura Rolla?

I don't think the dress comes back, I'm sorry. Take this as a substitute...

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 24, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

When the video game I Am Setsuna was announced was anyone else hoping that the main character would be Exia?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of Gundam, I'd say, has good elements but almost every series has flaws. What tends to make a Gundam 'work' is if those flaws outshine the weaknesses which is why there is such a large divide on what is and isn't a good Gundam show.

I'd definitely agree with this. I love Double Zeta Gundam but I'm not even going to pretend that the show is a good show. ZZ Gundam is, however, a brutal flip side to Zeta Gundam. Zeta Gundam is a show filled with a cast of raging assholes who keep making things worse for everyone around them because war is poo poo. ZZ Gundam is a show filled with a cast of adorable street urchins and goofy comic relief villains who...keep making things worse for everyone around them because war is poo poo. ZZ Gundam almost hits harder than Zeta does because ZZ Gundam has a cast of characters who hope for and expect better results than Zeta's characters do.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Of the Tomino Gundams, I'd rate Zeta as the lowest, with Victory just above.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muike posted:

I like Loran but he's pretty boring and doesn't have much in the way of character traits other than "lets some people walk over him like a doormat"

I'd say he's got a bit more to him than that. He generally thinks people can get along if they just stop trying to murder each other for five loving seconds, he thinks Earth is the loving best, and he's oddly more comfortable fighting and killing than he is lying.

I mean, Loran has less obvious character development than most Gundam leads since he basically has his head on straight, and he's the kind of guy who apologizes if you run into him in a hallway, but he does change as the series goes on, and he does have a decent amount going on.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

It doesn't sound like a lot of Gundam is very good.

It's probably 50/50, but there's a lot of Gundam in general, so that's still a lot of good Gundam.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The majority of Gundam is good

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
If you like mans in robots mashing other mans in robots you will have a blast.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gundam has a shaky track record but Tomino mecha shows in general have a fairly solid record.

I wish the early eps of L-Gaim had better subs since it seems like something I'd love, but boy the mental gymnastics to decipher those iffy subs....

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'd say 50%of gundam is good 30% is meh and 20% is bad. A lot of gundam fans seem to think that "meh" shows are total poo poo IMO.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
There's so much Gundam, every show is gonna have at least a couple people who think it's terrible.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
The only Gundams I can think of that are straight up bad are Destiny and AGE.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Yeah, these are pretty much my thoughts, although I really don't like igloo as well.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
People say that Victory Gundam is bad, but they're wrong *spoilers*

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Destiny is bad but also one of the most interesting series.

11ish years later people still can't shut the gently caress up about it.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Raxivace posted:

Destiny is bad but also one of the most interesting series.

11ish years later people still can't shut the gently caress up about it.

Its just because it started really strong and then punted completely later.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did I hear right that thunderbolt is going to be re-edited into a 1hr 20min film?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

boom boom boom posted:

People say that Victory Gundam is bad, but they're wrong *spoilers*

Indeed.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I haven't seen either of those, but I very much doubt I'd like either of them.

Monaghan posted:

Yeah, these are pretty much my thoughts, although I really don't like igloo as well.

I didn't like IGLOO at all, but I could at least respect what it was trying to do. I think IGLOO is an interesting premise marred by absolutely atrocious execution.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Patter Song posted:

I haven't seen either of those, but I very much doubt I'd like either of them.

I didn't like IGLOO at all, but I could at least respect what it was trying to do. I think IGLOO is an interesting premise marred by absolutely atrocious execution.

Igloo has some really bad cgi that hampers it from a visual perspective. Somehow it makes mobile suits look simultaneously floaty and stiff which is some accomplishment.
This is before getting into the shows zeon fetishism

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Is it wrong to say the Destiny itself is pretty rad? As much as the show was disappointing, I love the design.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Azubah posted:

Is it wrong to say the Destiny itself is pretty rad? As much as the show was disappointing, I love the design.

The Metal Build redesign of it looks good, but the default design is pretty meh to me.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I like the Destiny overall, but the red on its face that makes it look like it's crying blood always seemed a bit too edgelord-y to me, even if it is appropriate for Shinn.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I like the Destiny a lot, personally, but I'll also be the first to admit that a big sword, an extending buckler, and wings of light will basically make me like any suit.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Destiny is sort of a fixed Freedom in that it combines the Impulse's frames better than the Freedom combines the Strike's. That's cool, IMO.

Also its sword is a light tube, which amuses me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GimmickMan posted:

The Destiny is sort of a fixed Freedom in that it combines the Impulse's frames better than the Freedom combines the Strike's. That's cool, IMO.

Also its sword is a light tube, which amuses me.

That's because the Freedom does not do that at all, while the Destiny (somewhat loosely) combines the Strike's packs, not the Impulse's.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spelling Mitsake posted:

A Wakening of the Trailblazer.

Also I swear someone in this thread (at least a version of) said the Destiny Gundam was recycled from the Freedom's original design wasn't it?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
My god that one goons suffering watching AGE and giving us a recap every episode in the last thread was a drat marvel to read.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja always gives things his all.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Artum posted:

Its just because it started really strong and then punted completely later.

This is a big reason why. Destiny actually started off with a lot of potential and had some really neat stuff in the beginning, and still had some glimmers of Good Show every so often in the first half or so(Angel Down is a really great fight!). Then it fell into a tailspin and turned into total loving garbage. If Destiny were just flat horrible and worthless the entire way through from the word go then it wouldn't be as notable or remembered.

His name really did live forever. :911:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Inglessa, Lousana, whoever's in charge here needs to get on fixing Turn A's gotdamn mustache!

Edit: Also, if this is the Suicide Squad, which of these Cajun fucks is Will Smith?

Edit 2: This dress is a lot better. Laura is a very dapper gal.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 26, 2016

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Whereabouts are you up to? There's one big bit that's made embarrassing in the HD remaster.

I'm at episode 12, have I hit it yet?

Think I'm going to mix Iron Blooded Orphans into my viewing starting tonight as two of the voice actors are doing a chat at the Char Expo here in a few weeks. I'm going to be going anyway to see the New Japan Pro Rasslin there so I figured I'd check it out too and I'd like to have some idea what they're talking about.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sooper Gila posted:

I'm at episode 12, have I hit it yet?

Think I'm going to mix Iron Blooded Orphans into my viewing starting tonight as two of the voice actors are doing a chat at the Char Expo here in a few weeks. I'm going to be going anyway to see the New Japan Pro Rasslin there so I figured I'd check it out too and I'd like to have some idea what they're talking about.

IBO was pretty good, I thought. Not perfect, but good. The characters were interesting, as were most of the dynamics between them, the fights were brutal, and a few of the characters had pretty nice arcs.

Of course, the ending did cop out a bit. As a warning.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 26, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Im watching Reconguista since it's on Hulu.

That was uhh, certainly a first episode i guess?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I really liked the modified worker bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

I really liked the modified worker bots.

I wish we'd gotten a kit of the ones in IBO :sigh:.

The Recten and Recksnow really should've had a kit though, because they were prevalent right to the end.