Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Linux on the desktop: well yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
uhh it's totally giving you a valid explanation:
*barfs up some halfassed libcurl error message like a cat on the floor*

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ahmeni posted:

uhh it's totally giving you a valid explanation:
*barfs up some halfassed libcurl error message like a cat on the floor*

linux.txt

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
It's the unix philosophy, we don't do file download because curl does it better, so here's curl's explanation for what broke

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
that is not an error message from libcurl and was in fact hand-written by the rpm/dnf team. they do not know how to write error messages.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Apocadall posted:

i am having such a bitch of a time getting a yealink voip phone talking through a linux openvpn server to an asterisk pbx

kill me

Sngrep. You're welcome.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Apocadall posted:

i am having such a bitch of a time getting a yealink voip phone talking through a linux openvpn server to an asterisk pbx

kill me

sounds hosed up

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

ratbert90 posted:

Sngrep. You're welcome.

thanks! trying to watch two linux servers using iptraf and grepping through logs is a real ballache

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Apocadall posted:

thanks! trying to watch two linux servers using iptraf and grepping through logs is a real ballache

Yeah, that app has saved me so much time in the past. My job is a lot easier when I can tell Avaya that it's their issue even quicker!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Dnf is a tool for sysadmins anyway, you should be using gnome software and Chrome should provide flatpaks for their poo poo. But that tech is all very new and of course loving Shuttleworth had to go front-run it with his own lovely garbage alternative (see also: Mir, political manouvering around the existing Upstart project) and do so in his usual dishonest fashion.

(Whoosh go the goalposts etc)

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Just installed Fedora 24 over Fedora 23. Only kept my home and opt partitions... everything else was a fresh install.

Compared with moving from ubuntu to fedora 23, this was much less painful. The only unexpected thing was adding myself to the ecryptfs group. Oh, and the desktop icons are now comically big!

Gonna boot into wayland next, see if I can summon the magic smoke...

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
cant get plex to see my drat thing. mayube im retarded. it can see it in /media, which i gavbe my dude permissions to edit etc, but uh. i mouinted my old big media drive (ntfs) and its /dev/sdb2 and i cant figure out how to get plex to see it. whatever. agg. fail

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im a fucktard with a small ssd and a spinny, you see.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Smythe posted:

im a fucktard with a small ssd and a spinny, you see.

that's what I do too

64 gb ssd root drive

500 gb slow home drive

I'd try to help but I know nothing about plex

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

celeron 300a posted:

Just installed Fedora 24 over Fedora 23. Only kept my home and opt partitions... everything else was a fresh install.

Compared with moving from ubuntu to fedora 23, this was much less painful. The only unexpected thing was adding myself to the ecryptfs group. Oh, and the desktop icons are now comically big!

Gonna boot into wayland next, see if I can summon the magic smoke...

posting from wayland now, with a geforce 210 running nouveau drivers

all of my desktop icons have mysteriously disappeared

other than that, it seems to work fine.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

celeron 300a posted:

that's what I do too

64 gb ssd root drive

500 gb slow home drive

you might consider keeping most of /home on the ssd too -- time to read things like desktop environment config and web browser profiles can be pretty significant in time from boot to usable desktop, and opening web browsers and such

i keep things like 'vmware', 'Downloads', steam library, etc. on a big spinny drive and symlink/mount things into the right place in my home directory as appropriate

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

celeron 300a posted:

that's what I do too

64 gb ssd root drive

500 gb slow home drive

I'd try to help but I know nothing about plex

same but 240/1000

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

same but 2tb/36tb on nas over 40gbe

some rubberized pink weight weak poo poo itt, compute big or go home

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Well, alright .. I guess *dejectedly collects belongings into jansport bag and leaves*

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i can't tell if it's linux being a shitpile, or unraid, or docker
but a plex client now takes 10+ seconds to start a video when before it took 2 seconds max running the server on windows

it's me, the idiot who thought switching was a good idea

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

wait, you're running plex in docker?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
DID SOMEBODY SAY DOCKER???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PivpCKEiQOQ&hd=1

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I love an incredibly specific Hitler parody.

ugh. I don't know kubernetes from borg. my poo poo goes to an autoscaling group on AWS and that's it and that's all

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 27, 2016

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
I haven't used docker but after hearing about it, there is something I don't get. If people are just creating these distribution independent things without virtualization, then how does it account for api changes between libc versions and kernel versions? I understand that with cgroups, you can have a process see only a specific set of processes and files, but they're sharing the same kernel at the very least.

Also, wouldn't an enterprise deployment be using nfs or iscsi (for each container) to mount a working directory, instead of using the same mounted filesystem, to reduce or eliminate the chance of an errant container bringing down a whole kernel and fudging the disk?

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
I think I made fun of people for talking about containers in the desktop linux thread

or was that configiration management?

either way I declare myself a hypocrite

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Desktop linux chat. I put ansible on my fedora 24 workstation and now I have a recipe to do most everything except install a bios grub password. Feels good.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

wait, you're running plex in docker?

unraid has an app store that installs in docker containers.
it's actually nice in a lot of ways. If an image needs to be updated, just restart and pull

but it's also another layer making things harder to debug when there's a problem

there's always a problem.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Mr Dog posted:

Dnf is a tool for sysadmins anyway, you should be using gnome software

I was. I think. I was using whatever graphical tool you get when as a normal person you try to install a software by clicking on a download link. it had reviews and star ratings and everything.

that's why I was complaining. those error messages would have been fine for a command line sysadmin tool.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
increased containerisation on the desktop is a nice thing to see cause it's basically btrfs and cgroups but for humans

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Soricidus posted:

I was. I think. I was using whatever graphical tool you get when as a normal person you try to install a software by clicking on a download link. it had reviews and star ratings and everything.

that's why I was complaining. those error messages would have been fine for a command line sysadmin tool.

then yeah that kinda sucks, hopefully it will improve as it matures because it's a rather new project at the moment.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

so i'm kind of new at this whole pbx/vpn/godonlyknows systems admin thing, i did get the openvpn passing traffic through to an asterisk pbx server and we got two phones connecting to each other over it. my boss wants to now set up a couple hundred on it

how screwed am i?

should i start worrying about codecs and overhead or is it still small for what these systems can handle?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
start drinking

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PBX systems are universally awful, have fun janitoring insane configs until the end of time

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

celeron 300a posted:

I haven't used docker but after hearing about it, there is something I don't get. If people are just creating these distribution independent things without virtualization, then how does it account for api changes between libc versions and kernel versions? I understand that with cgroups, you can have a process see only a specific set of processes and files, but they're sharing the same kernel at the very least.

kernel guarantees abi compatibility, there isn't anything fundamentally being broken between it and libc. cgroups does indeed lead to a lot of corner cases that have resulted in security bugs

celeron 300a posted:

Also, wouldn't an enterprise deployment be using nfs or iscsi (for each container) to mount a working directory, instead of using the same mounted filesystem, to reduce or eliminate the chance of an errant container bringing down a whole kernel and fudging the disk?

yes, it's hard to allocate I/O since it's typically allocated per-device rather than per-process/container*, the easiest workaround therefore is to have multiple devices

* can depend on the io scheduler you're configured with

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

for docker specifically, you can easily have a running docker image consume your whole filesystem

ama about running graphite for a couple hours

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
docker is bad, this seems like a much better approach

https://lwn.net/Articles/644675/

idk how much traction it will get though

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Progressive JPEG posted:

kernel guarantees abi compatibility, there isn't anything fundamentally being broken between it and libc. cgroups does indeed lead to a lot of corner cases that have resulted in security bugs

thanks, this clears it up

The kernel abi is stable now, I guess? I guess we aren't gonna have any new system calls until the end of time or at least they will be backwards compatible.

Progressive JPEG posted:

yes, it's hard to allocate I/O since it's typically allocated per-device rather than per-process/container*, the easiest workaround therefore is to have multiple devices

* can depend on the io scheduler you're configured with

thanks.... I'm gonna go see how much of this is already commonplace in standard deployment instructions

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
does anyone remember from 10+ years ago when usermode linux was a thing?

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Apocadall posted:

so i'm kind of new at this whole pbx/vpn/godonlyknows systems admin thing, i did get the openvpn passing traffic through to an asterisk pbx server and we got two phones connecting to each other over it. my boss wants to now set up a couple hundred on it

how screwed am i?

should i start worrying about codecs and overhead or is it still small for what these systems can handle?

is everybody going to call into the conference room at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Apocadall posted:

how screwed am i?

probably wont be a problem unless you're doing a lot of call recordings on the switch and even then the problem will be disk I/O. Something you should understand here is that unless asterisk needs to participate in the audio path (ex: playing an IVR or recording a call) it wont be in the audio path and will just tell the participants how to talk to each other directly. This is generally fine, but then you need to make sure your clients can actually reach each other.

If you're going thru a vpn, depending on your OS, vpn client, and sip client, you may run into a 1 way audio problem where audio gets from the remote (VPN) machine to the destination but not back to the remote client. This is because the sip client you're using cant figure out what its VPN address is and its sending its local IP address as its contact address. I've never seen it happen in windows because most windows VPN clients create a virtual NIC to handle the VPN connection and that makes it easy for the SIP client to discover the correct address. It will happen with OSX depending on the vpn client you're using. Any of the cisco clients don't create virtual adapters under osx so whatever sip client you're using cant figure out what its vpn address is. The best way to fix this is to setup a STUN server inside your network. When the SIP client connects to your asterisk server (or to peers) it will ignore the ip address reported by the OS and use the IP address as seen by the STUN server which will be the VPN address.