Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

spog posted:

Almost seems designed to kill someone.

Surely it's engineering 101 that if a standard feature requires a 2.5minute instruction video, then something is bloody wrong.

Chrysler: "Our cars aren't yet dangerous enough by themselves to steer people away from buying. Let's change that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

um excuse me posted:

Mine sucks. It holds the car for about 5 seconds until you overcome it with the clutch, but I often find it engaging on flat surfaces and will often stall my car if I'm not expecting it to be on.

Wasn't a big fan of hill assist on my WRX either, slight inclines would trigger it sometimes and would all of a sudden require much more throttle input that normal, which usually meant a stall or at least a jerky motion while you corrected.

My golf R has it as well, but is optional. I don't think I've used it once.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
My M3's hill assist is smooth as all gently caress. The instant the car starts wanting to move forward it disengages. It's so nice.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
VW's hill hold is easy to trigger, and has a timer instead of a throttle pedal trigger for release. I don't know if that's just for the TDI, which has all the torque of a wet fart until the turbo spins up a bit.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Hell, even my Kia Soul's hill assist was fine. It was so transparent that I didn't even notice I had it until I went to roll back down a steep driveway and the car didn't move when I released the brake.

My Fiesta has it as an option in the computer, I can turn it on and off with the press of a button. I leave it on because it's never gotten in the way but there are a few places I regularly have to launch on a hill from and it's nice to have there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hePrs5TyE0A

Lithuanian cops chase a Volvo that deploys a smokescreen (or maybe it's just a diesel) and spikes in an attempt to get away. Nothing extraordinary other than that but I'm actually surprised something like this doesn't happen more often because dumping some oil in the exhaust would be a trivial mod.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The thing about smokescreens is that all they have to do is drop back a little ways and follow the massive trail you're leaving behind.

I guess the trick is to smoke them up then quickly do something to force them to panic steer. Throwing a handful of caltrops on their hood is probably not sufficient.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Pop the smoke on a roundabout, do a few laps and disappear out a random exit. Likely the same one you came and get caught immediately.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Is PIT maneuvering not a thing in Europe? Seems like he had a couple good chances to do it before the Volvo started throwing stuff.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

xzzy posted:

That's what hazards are for: vehicles on or near the roadway that are not behaving like normal traffic.

It sort of follows to flip them on when slowing for an obstruction that other traffic may not be able to see, but is not something I've actually encountered.

Pretty sure they're actually for letting people know that you're parking in a no parking zone or double parked. This tells the parking authority to not give you a ticket because mysterious rules of the city.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That would be the common law interpretation, yes. That red triangle on the dashboard is basically a "break the law for free" button.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The proper way to do it is to park in a loading zone, leave your trunk open and a cardboard box on the curb.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Orange traffic cones - the other 'I get to do whatever I want to do' token

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'll admit I used those orange triangles when I had to do major bus work on the road.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Deeters posted:

Is PIT maneuvering not a thing in Europe? Seems like he had a couple good chances to do it before the Volvo started throwing stuff.

Nope - police in other countries generally don't pretend they're the star of some bad action flick.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dissss posted:

Nope - police in other countries generally don't pretend they're the star of some bad action flick.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Deeters posted:

Generally in Europe the police are still responsible for their own actions, even during a chase, so if the PIT went wrong and caused a collision then the police officer would be at fault, just like if they blew through a red light during the chase and hit some one.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

The proper way to do it is to park in a loading zone, leave your trunk open and a cardboard box on the curb.

On the other hand, I hate when people, usually van drivers, get pissed off at me for using the loading zone for loading. It doesn't say "Canada Post only" or "commercial loading only" it just says "loading" and I get up to 20 minutes to do so according to the sign.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
WOW!
http://i.imgur.com/6B13rg0.mp4

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDoerxecKF8

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's some nice target fixation.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I bet he wasn't happy with his terrible choice of riding clothes after that. :allears:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
stiff rider with soccer mom reaction syndrome (slam on the brakes always).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was just following the sign. :qq:

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Was stuck behind a guy in an SUV on a no-passing 2-lane for miles and he took about 15 seconds to get up to speed at every one of the many stop-signs, drove me bananas. How long does it have to take someone to get up to speed before they start to annoy yall? Not jamming on the gas the instant you can is well and good, but loving come on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I start getting twitchy if they aren't going 25 by the time they cross the intersection.

The worst are the ones obviously pecking at their phone at a stop light. They ignore the green, you bap your horn, and their concession is to let off the brake and idle through the intersection as they try to tuck the phone back into its cubby. Then they creeeeeeeeep towards the speed limit in some kind of passive aggressive attempt to punish you for being tired of their poo poo.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My favorite is people in the right hand lane that have to slow or stop for someone ahead of them making a right turn into a driveway.

And then they just never speed back up again.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
Hey! So, there's a type of accident that I figure probably happens here on base several times a week, but I finally got to see it.

The mass exodus to get off base is kind of a nightmare because of the way they've got the gates messed around here and so you have a main street packed full of cars and cars on side roads trying to get onto the main road. Generally people are nice and will each allow a car in ahead of them, but occasionally someone refuses to play along and either a car gets skipped or they aggressively pull out in front of that car and make them slam on the brakes.

Well, just ahead of me a car decided to speed up to not let the side street car into the gap and at the same time, the side street car also gunned it to go into the gap and blammo, main road SUV smashed left rear corner of some luxury sedan. So that slowed things up even more as we all had to crawl around them. It also blocked the rest of the people on the side street from getting out onto the main street. All because "gently caress you, no one cuts in front of me, I don't care how long you have to wait!"

I guess the car who pulled out is legally in the wrong so the guy that rear ended him is not at fault, but geez, what a dick move.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sleepy.eyes posted:

Was stuck behind a guy in an SUV on a no-passing 2-lane for miles and he took about 15 seconds to get up to speed at every one of the many stop-signs, drove me bananas. How long does it have to take someone to get up to speed before they start to annoy yall? Not jamming on the gas the instant you can is well and good, but loving come on.

I can't really quantify a specific speed because it varies by vehicle, but basically I want to feel like you're applying more pressure to the accelerator than just resting your foot on it. If you're driving something slow I want to hear it getting revved out at least to 2/3 of the useful range, show me that you're actually trying to minimize its slowness. If you're driving something fast you obviously don't have to get on it as hard but I'll be a lot less patient if you choose to be slow.

e: Also just thought of this, in many states it's legal to pass slow-moving traffic even in no passing zones as long as you can see that it's clear for sufficient distance to make the pass. If the person's slow off the line and there's no oncoming traffic at the time it's usually straight/flat enough near intersections that a quick vehicle shouldn't have trouble passing such a dawdler in a safe fashion.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 28, 2016

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Close call with kids in the car
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=345_1467056235

I like the camera setup he is using. Would be a great way to catch a plate number in a hit and run case. In this case it gets a great shot of the douche taking off afterwards.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I love how if you're a metered on-ramp at the time of day when the metering stops and the red/green signal just shuts off, the fuckwits at the front of the line have *no idea what to do* now that the light isn't toggling anymore. Just loving *go*, you stupid fucker! And then they creep forward slowly like they're proceeding into a four-way intersection during a power failure. No, you stupid fucker, there's no cross traffic, you're now on a regular old on-ramp and you need to *press the loving accelerator*.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

sleepy.eyes posted:

As a slowly accelerating SUV driver I apologize but when i hit the gas on my old Suburban it makes the sounds of the devil and my gas mileage goes from 10 to 5.

I don't crawl up like an old person but it is slow. To make up for it on my bike I hit the limit in about 1 second.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Just spent an afternoon in LA, where "don't block the box" is a foreign concept. I move we void every license south of Bakersfield and make them all try again after 100 hours of supervised practice.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

nsaP posted:

As a slowly accelerating SUV driver I apologize but when i hit the gas on my old Suburban it makes the sounds of the devil and my gas mileage goes from 10 to 5.

I don't crawl up like an old person but it is slow. To make up for it on my bike I hit the limit in about 1 second.

This was a brand-new Escalade, so lack of horsepower had nothing to do with it. I fully appreciate lack of power and mileage concerns being a thing in slow starts.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Phanatic posted:

I love how if you're a metered on-ramp at the time of day when the metering stops and the red/green signal just shuts off, the fuckwits at the front of the line have *no idea what to do* now that the light isn't toggling anymore. Just loving *go*, you stupid fucker! And then they creep forward slowly like they're proceeding into a four-way intersection during a power failure. No, you stupid fucker, there's no cross traffic, you're now on a regular old on-ramp and you need to *press the loving accelerator*.

Haha I hate that too, although I'm rarely there. In the early morning if I get there and I'm alone I just go, sometimes I forget other people don't do that. This one isn't sensor based so it just keeps changing, it's heartbreaking to see someone stopping while its green. Plus it's so late on the on ramp that it takes away a lot of the acceleration room and contributes to slowdowns.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If I could get to 25 by the other side of the intersection, I'd have the fastest stock beetle in history.

t:mad:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The one I hate is the person who sneaks in a right turn on red right as my light turns green and I catch up to them before they even complete the turn. If you were in such a hurry, why are you going so slow?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

If I could get to 25 by the other side of the intersection, I'd have the fastest stock beetle in history.

I generally get very relaxed and protective around old/small cars which I'm sure makes the drooling brain donors in Rogues behind me even angrier.

Mostly because I want to look at an old/cool car instead of some other rear end in a top hat's cracked leased bumper cover.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Pfft I drove a '66 for years and while I don't exactly remember how fast it got to 25, it could burn through first gear quick enough to appease pretty much anyone. :colbert:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Well, yeah. First gear is from 0-7mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I generally get very relaxed and protective around old/small cars which I'm sure makes the drooling brain donors in Rogues behind me even angrier.

Mostly because I want to look at an old/cool car instead of some other rear end in a top hat's cracked leased bumper cover.

Me too, this time of year is perfect around my town because there's always some classic cars rolling around, even a few old hot rod/rat rod types. There's an A&W a couple miles away that sometimes has small "car shows" in their parking lot, I'll have to see if/when they do it next and get some pictures. Old, rare cars kick SO much rear end.