Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

The Locator posted:

Depends a lot on where you drive, and how much. Also some cars seem to be cursed. My car is not quite 17 months old, I'm on the 4th windshield.

Do you live and commute in a quarry or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Residency Evil posted:

Do you live and commute in a quarry or something?

Nope, but commute 52 miles 1 way, mostly on I-10. I've had windshields replaced in previous cars, but nothing like this one. Just a string of bad luck I suppose, the last one cracked from the edge of the passenger side window and I couldn't even find an impact point and never noticed anything hit it, so might have been a glass flaw or installation issue, but of course they claimed it wasn't so they could replace it on insurance instead of warranty from the prior replacement. I told the insurance everything and they didn't care, just had them replace it under the glass coverage again.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
100 miles a day is a lot of driving. I barely put 10k a year on my car. The biggest issue out here in CO is there is so much crap on the road all year round that the windshields are usually sandblasted to poo poo after about 3 years. But lately I haven't really kept my cars much longer than the windshield could handle.

Also, they did -not- tint the little triangles in front of the doors, and it's not really an issue.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

Also, they did -not- tint the little triangles in front of the doors, and it's not really an issue.

Same on mine. The shop I used gave me a few bucks off, and they gave me a piece of tint with pre-cut pieces for them that I requested. I found a guide online showing how to remove the A-Pillar trim which gives access to the area, so I may try that some day. Not having them tinted really hasn't bothered me though.

DeathbyMisadventure
Apr 2, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

To clarify on this, as applies in Texas, your front windows must have 25% light pass through, and since glass doesn't allow 100, more like 93, most places will only apply 35% tint on the fronts, because when tested it is pretty close to 25%.

I just had mine done, went with 35% fronts, 20% rears and hatch. I love it, looks great, doesn't affect night time visibility much.

And congrats, DeathbyMisadventure. However, get a price quote from your dealer and see if it seems like way too much. Mine wanted 2x what I ended up paying. Also, check and see if they do the 2 little triangles at the front of your driver/passenger doors, as some places say they cant access them.

Thanks! The dealer was a little above local shop quotes, like 50 bucks, but they sold me on their experience tinting these cars and supposedly having laser cut tint (maybe everyone does, hell if I know) but they are letting me drop the car off and get a loaner to go to work and pick it up afterwards so it's worth the little bit extra for me. I assumed they were tinting every piece of glass but I will ask to make sure, I appreciate the advice as usual.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Shouldn't need to remove the apillar to tint those triangles

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Had my car for almost a year and this is by far the most common interaction:

Middle aged woman: How do you like your car?

Ehud: I like it a lot, it's a lot of fun.

Middle aged woman: I love it! I think it is so cute!

Ehud: Thank you!

Middle aged woman: What kind of gas mileage do you get?

Every time with the gas mileage question...

Anyways, I was looking down the road a few years to see what I might get to replace my Abarth when I have a need for an actual back seat. I saw that Honda is supposed to bring the Type-R to the US at one point so I looked into it. Man, that is an XTREME design.

I kind of like it :q:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ehud posted:

Anyways, I was looking down the road a few years to see what I might get to replace my Abarth when I have a need for an actual back seat. I saw that Honda is supposed to bring the Type-R to the US at one point so I looked into it. Man, that is an XTREME design.

I kind of like it :q:

I generally like white cars, but the red looks way better than the white they've previously shown. It somehow looks way less busy and tacky without changing anything else. I think the key to the success of the Type R in the US will depend hugely on price. If it doesn't undercut the Golf R/STI/Focus RS by a few grand I think it will flop pretty hard outside of die hard Honda fanboys. It looks like a blast in the videos I've seen and I've become a pretty big fan of what Honda is(or at least was) capable of with engines since I bought my s2k.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Ehud posted:

...Middle aged woman: What kind of gas mileage do you get?..
I once had a middle-aged man in a Prius start chatting me up at a stoplight, the interaction went something like this:

Man: Hey, nice car! What is it?

Sig: It's a Porsche, Porsche Cayman.

Man: Nice, what kind of gas mileage do you get in that thing?

Sig: Who the gently caress cares; it's a sports car!

And then I rode off into the sunset, tipping my fedora.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

fknlo posted:

I generally like white cars, but the red looks way better than the white they've previously shown. It somehow looks way less busy and tacky without changing anything else. I think the key to the success of the Type R in the US will depend hugely on price. If it doesn't undercut the Golf R/STI/Focus RS by a few grand I think it will flop pretty hard outside of die hard Honda fanboys. It looks like a blast in the videos I've seen and I've become a pretty big fan of what Honda is(or at least was) capable of with engines since I bought my s2k.

Car and Driver thinks it's going to be around 30k and that it is meant to split the difference between Focus ST/Focus RS and GTI/Golf R. If they actually hit that 30k mark then that would be appropriately priced based in its intentions. We'll see. It might not hit the states for two more years.

Sigma X posted:

I once had a middle-aged man in a Prius start chatting me up at a stoplight, the interaction went something like this:

Man: Hey, nice car! What is it?

Sig: It's a Porsche, Porsche Cayman.

Man: Nice, what kind of gas mileage do you get in that thing?

Sig: Who the gently caress cares; it's a sports car!

And then I rode off into the sunset, tipping my fedora.

This lady was driving a mid 00's VW Beetle :haw:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

1st photo: Hmmm an FWD doing donuts without lunch trays lol ok.
2nd photo: Yikes that's a lot of edginess comin' at me that even an STi would blush at.
3rd photo: What in the gently caress is this poo poo? It's a god damned Red Wedding in there and then I guess that enormous shift knob is meant to go straight up your rear end.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 21, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fyodor posted:

1st photo: Hmmm an FWD doing donuts without lunch trays lol ok.
2nd photo: Yikes that's a lot of edginess comin' at me that even an STi would blush at.
3rd photo: What in the gently caress is this poo poo? It's a god damned Red Wedding in there and then I guess that enormous shift knob is meant to go straight up your rear end.

Heh, I was going to ask who did the donuts around the car :p

That car, similar to the STI just screams PULL ME OVER I'M SPEEDING, no matter how fast you're going. Should sell like hotcakes to the ricers.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I bet it's fun though. :)

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

My RS is finally at the dealer! Picking it up tomorrow is going to be so good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KidDynamite posted:

Please make a thread and post 1,000 pictures and videos.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

KidDynamite posted:

Try not to wrap it around a tree 100 yards from the dealership.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
My FoST lost power and made weird whistling noises under acceleration. A quick look at the engine bay revealed the culprit: intercooler hose popped off. Apparently this isn't an uncommon problem? Only took half an hour at the dealer and no charge to get it fixed so no harm no foul, but it does make me concerned about the next thing that's going to fall off.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
That can happen on any forced induction, it's not need for consern about the rest of the car. You should be checking the clamps for tightness anyway. They operate under a good amount of pressure, and are prone to loosening (at least on the FiST)

When I got mine home from the dealer, brand new, a few of the clamps were loose. Tightening them was the cheapest HP gain ever. Now I check them everytime I do the oil

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 24, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr.Caligari posted:

That can happen on any forced induction, it's not need for consern about the rest of the car. You should be checking the clamps for tightness anyway. They operate under a good amount of pressure, and are prone to loosening (at least on the FiST)

When I got mine home from the dealer, brand new, a few of the clamps were loose. Tightening them was the cheapest HP gain ever. Now I check them everytime I do the oil

I do the same thing with mine on every oil change, and did the same for a friend with a FiST too. It made a noticeable difference the first time. I'm thinking of changing the clamps out for a more robust clamp. I overtightened one of them and it broke the clamp so I replaced that with something a bit larger and I doubt I'd be capable of overtightening.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 24, 2016

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Dr.Caligari posted:

I never ended up doing this on my '16...was the loose clamp issue only on the older models or are all affected? I've had my FiST for 8 months now with 12.5k miles running up to 24-25psi boost so im likely in the clear if nothing bad has happened yet but ill make a mental note to have a look next time im underneath the car.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I know what I'm doing to the Speed this weekend

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Mariana Horchata posted:

I never ended up doing this on my '16...was the loose clamp issue only on the older models or are all affected? I've had my FiST for 8 months now with 12.5k miles running up to 24-25psi boost so im likely in the clear if nothing bad has happened yet but ill make a mental note to have a look next time im underneath the car.

It is standard maintenance. Check yo clamps when you change your oil/air filter. Heat cycling, vibration, voodoo can all loosen them up over time.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

When did you order?

Mine was ordered in January and still hasn't been built.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

The Pell posted:

When did you order?

Don't feel bad, I put down a deposit just to get something off the first boat and it took from mid Feb until the end of July. Then some uninsured piece of poo poo ran in to it.

I have to take it back in because there's a big dent in the sheet metal on the sill plate that they painted right over and the driver's door speaker is shorting out. JUST AS GOOD AS NEW, NO REALLY.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I can't remember the thread but there was some sort of fancy Audi copper(?) turbo plumbing clamps that everyone raved about.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The Pell posted:

When did you order?

I ordered back in October when the order banks first opened. This car is nuts. I don't have many points of reference the only other truly fast car I've driven recently was a Lamborghini at one of those parking lot hot lap groupon things which my gf got me as a gift and that was a few years ago. All I can say is this thing is fast, and then you put it in sport mode and it gets faster, evil, and mean. It's a joy to drive. It's my first manual so I was stalling a bunch getting home from the dealer, but I went for a drive with a friend who came to see it, and he got me to calm down and gave me tips. It's going to be fun learning with this car. I'm going to book a track day in a month or two and enjoy.

Edit: the first time it did the back-fire thing I felt like a kid playing Gran Turismo.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Your first manual was a Focus RS? :psyberger:

Mine was a 1996 Honda Civic haha

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ehud posted:

Yeah I jumped into the deep end. I rode a motorcycle as my only vehicle for 4 years and I've driven manual cars before but just for a lap around a park or something. My Fiance's father also took me out one day back in October when I first ordered the car, but I didn't keep practicing because I thought I had it. I was wrong, you totally need to practice and there's a level of performance anxiety to it as well. It's fun as gently caress though and so much more satisfying than auto but god drat are people behind you jerks.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Maybe it's because it's black but your Focus RS doesn't stand out and scream boy ricer nearly as badly as other publication photos would have suggested. Compared to the regular Focus and the ST, I don't like the looks of the black front grille splitter and the fog lamp moldings but the black paint helps to mask and subdue their rather extreme design elements.

I guess we'll also get to see how (badly) a front-mounted license plate will look on it.

Ehud posted:

I'm planning on jumping into the deep end like that when if a new WRX hatchback comes out. I have driven manual dirt bikes before and drove a friend's manual Camry in a parking lot though I've never taken a manual vehicle on the road before.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

You'll get the hang of it in no time. I bet it is pretty funny to watch somebody in such a sick car stall out though :hehe:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's got launch control, Just use that at every stop and you'll be fine.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Powershift posted:

It's got launch control, Just use that at every stop and you'll be fine.

hahaha

"Do you know why I pulled you over?"

"Sorry officer, I'm just learning to drive stick."

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Please tell me you aren't street parking that. It'll be all dinged up inside of a week. :(

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I am, but I am getting a wrap and xpel and also will only be parking in two car spots. Looking for a garage if I can though.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KidDynamite posted:

I am, but I am getting a wrap and xpel and also will only be parking in two car spots. Looking for a garage if I can though.

I hope this means "I have two spots reserved and I am parking across both of them" and not "I'm just parking across two spots because my car is more important than everyone else's".

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Sigma X posted:

I hope this means "I have two spots reserved and I am parking across both of them" and not "I'm just parking across two spots because my car is more important than everyone else's".

No I mean I've been making mental notes of the spots around my apartment and I'm confident I can get one of the spots in a two car one every day. So hopefully no one will be parallel parking near the car. Definitely still sharing the spots.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ehud posted:

hahaha

"Do you know why I pulled you over?"

"Sorry officer, I'm just learning to drive stick."

I actually got out of a ticket once using this. Back in my old 68 bug, I had just put a new short shifter in and was loving around in a neighborhood after leaving my gf at the times house. Told him the new shifter wont hit 2nd so i have to dog it first to third. He knew I was full of poo poo, but he let me go :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Bovril Delight posted:

Please tell me you aren't street parking that. It'll be all dinged up inside of a week. :(

It's just a car, not very rare, and meant to be driven hard.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Just fyi if anyone has a car that might get tuned by tork motorsports please read:

http://www.velosterturbo.org/forum/product-reviews/14301-tork-motorsports-review-buyer-beware.html

Torks response in the end basically threatening to send a bad tune that could blow up his engine

quote:

If you are willing to listen and take a little advice... Never, ever, accuse or imply to your tuner that he is wrong or lying. He is the one tuning your car and may not care what you get in return. I have never done that, because I issue refunds when I get upset with a customer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That guy wanted 2k for hotel and food expenses to drive to the event? Hahaha, what a tool.