Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

peanut posted:

Sup :japan: ^^^
The bars are definitely for a kitchen back door or the window of the bathroom/laundry area. Windows you might want to leave open at night or while you're not home.

The front of that house is less tedious, but shuttered up while the owner is away.

This house is also shuttered, but lived in...

Sup homie. :japan:

That's a lot of satellite dishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Well, there's a thing you just don't see every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHraJArVTMw

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Effective-Disorder posted:

Pretty good. I took a shower without having to step over my toilet today.

EDIT: I used to live in a place with a bathroom like this...

Why does your bathtub have a doggie door?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's a soap rack... and/or maintenance access.

A Japanese bathroom without a bidet, a shameful bathroom.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Elem7 posted:

Access panel to plumbing

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Nitrox posted:

Access panel to plumbing

When I lived in Akita that access panel was vital to thawing the plumbing. No central heating in Japan so sometimes it would get below freezing in the bathroom overnight or if we were gone all day. We basically would only heat the room we were sleeping in or using, and for a year we only had kerosene space heaters so we would have to ruen it off when we went to bed. There is a reason they like thier heated toilet seats over there.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Elem7 posted:

The tub at my parents' house used to be missing the maintenance hatch cover (which was in the linen closet next to the tub) and one of the cats would go and hide under the tub, so you'd go and turn on the water to take a shower and he'd come scrambling out at full speed.

He has since passed away and the bathroom has been remodeled and now you have to remove some large drawers that project into the hallway to reach the maintenance panel. I spent like 20 minutes making a paint diagram because it's kind of a weird setup now. Future owners will probably be like "what the heck is this?"

xezton
Jan 31, 2005

Sorry but this is all I can see:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

xezton posted:

:golfclap:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

xezton posted:

This is excellent, thank you.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Turned on my sprinkler system and a small lake formed under my mailbox.

No glue, just capped off. This makes sense since I had dug up another section of pipe a few months ago which had inline connectors just pushed together with no glue.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Turned on my sprinkler system and a small lake formed under my mailbox.

No glue, just capped off. This makes sense since I had dug up another section of pipe a few months ago which had inline connectors just pushed together with no glue.

I hope you don't have any lines running along your foundation.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Part of the agenda for a planning meeting for a new apartment block last night:

-Can a wardrobe be counted as storage space?

Of course it all makes sense in the context of a bunch of extremely dull bylaws, but, well, it's still a thing that happened.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jaguars! posted:

Of course it all makes sense in the context of a bunch of extremely dull bylaws, but, well, it's still a thing that happened.

Of course it can, depending on who is on the board.

Condo/homeowners associations are barely regulated poo poo shows that have a title encumbrance on you property. Avoid this like a plague.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Motronic posted:

Condo/homeowners associations are barely regulated poo poo shows that have a title encumbrance on you property. Avoid this like a plague.

I too hate living in houses built after 1964, intact lead paint and asbestos never hurt nobody!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jaguars! posted:

Part of the agenda for a planning meeting for a new apartment block last night:

Some guy made an office out of a cupboard so....

http://imgur.com/a/1dgWi

Best comment : What did you use for insulation? It might become an oven during summer

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Lime Tonics posted:

Some guy made an office out of a cupboard so....

http://imgur.com/a/1dgWi

Best comment : What did you use for insulation? It might become an oven during summer

I think the commenter is under the impression the office space was built in that shed.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Large closets make for great little offices for the perpetually shut-in. They don't want sunlight, they want the harsh isolated glow of the computer screen and the dusty dull hum of the computer fan.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Dude needed a place to masturbate after his mancave got renovated to pink and yellow

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Crotch Fruit posted:

I too hate living in houses built after 1964, intact lead paint and asbestos never hurt nobody!

Shouldn't be much lead paint left at this point, and asbestos is fine as long as you don't disturb it. Plus the houses that have survived the last 50 years are generally more solidly-built than new construction (for example, my 50's home has a subfloor consisting of 2x boards instead of plywood). There is nothing inherently wrong with living in an older structure.

Plus you don't have to pay $100+/month to be told you aren't allowed to paint your house yellow or have a scrap-metal sculpture of a dragon in your front yard.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

Yes, paying $110/month to have somebody mow my lawn, remove snow in the winter, maintain the community pool, and put money away for the inevitable driveway/roof/stucco repairs just kills me.

Also, I'm on the board, which means I'm the one who gets to be petty and decide which things are enforced and which things aren't. It's great fun.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Well, there's a thing you just don't see every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHraJArVTMw

Metal as gently caress

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Mister Dog posted:

Metal as gently caress

:agreed:

Motronic posted:

HOAs aren't a thing in NZ. The townhouse I rent does have a caveat on the title stating that the colour of the exterior isn't supposed to change, but the caveator is the company that developed the place, I don't see it having much teeth. If I bought one, I'd paint it a bright colour just to see what happened, because living in a suburb of mandatory slate coloured houses annoys me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are weird (terrible) parts of America where most new houses are in HOAs, but that's not the standard and people who live in those places should maybe consider moving somewhere better. You can have a new house without an HOA encumbering the title, it's totally a thing! For real.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
As I understand it, HOAs mostly come into existence when a developer makes an entire "neighborhood" all at one go, because of some legal issues or issues to do with preserving property values or something, I forget. But basically the developer makes the HOA to create some authority over the sold properties, and once all the units have sold they divest themselves of it and leave the homeowners to manage things from then on.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
This is rather scarily accurate for all the men (and some of the women) in my family:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwGrC0KicSo

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As I understand it, HOAs mostly come into existence when a developer makes an entire "neighborhood" all at one go, because of some legal issues or issues to do with preserving property values or something, I forget. But basically the developer makes the HOA to create some authority over the sold properties, and once all the units have sold they divest themselves of it and leave the homeowners to manage things from then on.

Generally the HOA is for dogwhistle racism, classism, or both. A set of rules to assure the scared white suburbanite that they won't have neighbors who are poor or too 'urban'.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Liquid Communism posted:

Generally the HOA is for dogwhistle racism, classism, or both. A set of rules to assure the scared white suburbanite that they won't have neighbors who are poor or too 'urban'.

"Preservation of Property Values"... Sure it can keep out "undesirables", but it's mostly people who have nothing better to do and think it's their god given right to tell you what color to paint your place because they bought a home near yours and they don't like the color you picked. These are the insufferable pricks that rule PTA's and want to tell which size soda you can buy... screw 'em. My goal is enough land to be able to not see a neighbor.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yes, it's a financial means too. On a per project basis if something very wrong happens like all the homes are built with a defect they can sue the HOA which did the work (owned by the developer at the time), but as they're sold the developer gets divested from it. So it more or less results in suing yourself (raising HOA fees) and the developer has no financial ties anymore.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Neighborhood I'm moving to has an HOA, all six houses of it. Apparently when the developer made it, he tried to make it super strict, but he's gone now and the neighborhood has become what it is and really always was: marginally rural Iowa. Now the HOA largely exists in name only, for the purpose of maintaining the gravel road. Guy I'm buying the house from (he was the treasurer) said they last met a year or two ago? So they may not even be meeting the requirements to actually be an HOA at this point and people are just voluntarily (knowingly or otherwise) pitching in to keep the road functional. Nice houses, though, and acreage. My kind of HOA, for sure.

Plus, it sounds like a couple of the families have grown up kids and that tends to lead to downsizing, which means a house or two could go up for sale in the next few years, and I have some friends that might be interested...hostile takeover, anyone? :getin:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

TheMadMilkman posted:

Yes, paying $110/month to have somebody mow my lawn, remove snow in the winter, maintain the community pool, and put money away for the inevitable driveway/roof/stucco repairs just kills me.

Also, I'm on the board, which means I'm the one who gets to be petty and decide which things are enforced and which things aren't. It's great fun.
Just because you got lucky doesn't mean the rest of HOAs across the country aren't disfunctional or problematic. Good for you, have fun.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bad Munki posted:

hostile takeover, anyone? :getin:

Mandatory pink mailboxes with crankshafts as support poles for everyone! Mounted in to concrete of course, say a fifth of a ton of it or so?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

wolrah posted:

Mandatory pink mailboxes with crankshafts as support poles for everyone! Mounted in to concrete of course, say a fifth of a ton of it or so?

Pretty much that. Then we rename the neighborhood something naughty and disband the HOA the day after everyone has their mailbox in place.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I have a neighborhood with an HOA, it is kinda nice that they provide a pool. I believe the fee is only about $100/year. It is a little annoying that the HOA mandates only two choices of fence - wrought iron or a ridiculously cheap wood fence that is always falling down. I also have received a nasty letter for leaving my trashcan near the curb overnight which I thought was ridiculous. . . I have since left the can overnight several more times in the future with no consequences (pro tip: take a pictures of all your neighbors doing the exact same loving thing).

I do kinda wish the HOA would do something about the people down the street with a yard that is literally 2 ft high weeds. . . it would look significantly better if the owner just mowed, and the owner does occasionally mow, like two times per summer.

Previously, my Dad used to live in an HOA in Albquerque with 18 town house. My Dad had a diesel pickup in a community of hippies and retired old people. . . HOA meetings were hilarious since they basically amounted to everyone saying "we don't want that guys pickup parked anywhere but we cant make up the right rules to discriminate only his pickup". They tried designating parking only in driveways, that didn't work due a family with 7 cars (3 of which were undriveable). They tried an "only hybrids can park out front" which fell through quickly since only the HOA secretary owned a Prius that qualified. Eventually, they finally settled on neglecting all the trees on the east side thus narrowing the driveway down to a point where My Dad's pickup would scrape on every branch, even my Firebird at the time was a close fit, and UPS and FedEx had to take a ridiculous route and back out of the street. . . but this was NOT an act of discrimination since there was a designated trailer parking area a half mile if my Dad needed a place to park his pickup. So yeah, gently caress small HOAs, but as for my big HOA I cant really complain too much. I wish I didn't have the drat title encumbrance but it's not too bad.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.
We own 2 of the 3 units in our HOA (one is our rental property now), and according to the bylaws, votes are based on unit ownership. We can literally just make completely unilateral changes to the HOA on the other guy. We don't, but we theoretically could.

Our HOA exists solely to collect funds for lawn care, snow removal and roof/siding replacement. In reality, I mow the tiny lawn and shovel snow because we can't be bothered to hire someone for a job that small.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I think my HOA is actually run by brownies or something. There are no dues, flags/bows appear on your mailbox as if by magic, and sometimes you can hear the sound of a summer block party but if you go looking for it you'll never find it. Only by letting your grass grow long in the first weeks of spring can a member be summoned, a small, ancient crone who will passive aggressively query you about the rustic state of your garden.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
No dues? wtf.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

One of the main reasons I'd never buy a condo is dealing with a strata council. So it's either rent from a professional landlord/rental company or buy a house because I never ever want to deal with these horrible little bureaucratic busybodies who seem obsessed with new ways to stick their nose in your business and spend your fees poorly. The best HOA is "the city". They maintain the roads and sidewalks, keep the streets clean, maintain public grass and gardens, and have a list of fairly reasonable bylaws for everyone, everyone pays their property taxes and the funds are used to maintain and improve the city for everyone, not just a select few. HOA neighbourhoods seem like they can only exist in places where the city government has failed or has been purposefully sabotaged over the years. People rather have low property taxes but then spend the difference on their own HOA area. Why improve the whole city when I can say FYGM and just focus on the "property values" in my little possibly gated fiefdom. A lot of it also ties into "property values cargo cult" stuff people utterly obsessed with property values do. As if "property values" were some sort of spooky ancient spirits that have to be appeased and the wrong type of fence on one house in the neighbourhood might offend them into not blessing the neighbourhood with good property values.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The property values stuff is hokey too, because I know people that spend over a grand every year on their dumb HOA. There's no way they're getting that back as the property value difference between codes enforced by the HOA rather than our responsive suburban city.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

HOA neighbourhoods seem like they can only exist in places where the city government has failed or has been purposefully sabotaged over the years.

Nah, they show up in functional cities as well. They just tend to cover things that the city doesn't care about, like landscaping, painting, and maintaining shared facilities (swimming pools, gardens, etc.). And, yes, restricting what you're allowed to do with your home.

quote:

A lot of it also ties into "property values cargo cult" stuff people utterly obsessed with property values do. As if "property values" were some sort of spooky ancient spirits that have to be appeased and the wrong type of fence on one house in the neighbourhood might offend them into not blessing the neighbourhood with good property values.

Go ahead and go massively into debt and make the biggest single purchase of your life, and see how you feel when its value fluctuates wildly due to factors outside your control. I mean, I'm not saying that HOAs necessarily help much with stabilizing property values, since the biggest factor seems to be how the economy in general is doing. I guess it's kind of like how people appreciate the massive security lines at airports even though they don't do squat for actual security: the appearance of helping is more important than actually helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
My neighborhood opted out of becoming part of the city when the city expanded. We only have to abide by county rules even though literally everyone around us is in the city. This means that the neighbor kids shoot off fireworks every day of the year. The best part though is shooting them off on Fourth of July which makes other neighborhoods think that it's okay and when they do the cops storm out to the no fireworks areas and confiscate everyone's stuff