Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
Right about here is where I really started to like Edgeworth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Edgeworth is the best. He's a good guy under all the pomp and snark.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
We have hit peak Edgeworth this update. :allears:

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

By the way, if we mess up now, even though it is basically impossible for Will Powers to have done it and we have proven someone else could have conceivably done it, we would still get a guilty verdict.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
This is the same guy that tried to get an even more obvious murderer to confess to much lesser crime so he'd still "win"

Something about this case must really bug him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mors Rattus posted:

: Ms. Vasquez! You did it!
: ... That wasn't a question.
: ...
: Um, did you do it?
: No.

Vasquez is also fantastic.

Mors Rattus posted:

: Don't "?" me! Don't you have anyhting to say!?

Typo here.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

yamiaainferno posted:

Edgeworth is the best. He's a good guy under all the pomp and snark.

You say this as if the pomp and snark aren't a major part of what makes Edgeworth a good guy.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Thanks for including this :)

The video isn't mine, but it's really great, and if you're not watching it, you're missing out. The game has a fairly limited set of tools in terms of sprites and music tracks, but goddamn if it doesn't pull together an amazing scene using these.

On the other hand, the anime kinda bungled this bit. Nowhere near as much of an impact.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 9, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

: Mmmph! Well, yes, um... ... Indeed! Verily, I say... Ergo!

This is still one of my favorite Edgeworth lines in the whole series. Admittedly, I still haven't played Investigations II, but I'm pretty sure it would still stand.

Underneath his bravado and cravat, Edgeworth is such a dork. And that might be a super common trope, but I still love it.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Xander77 posted:

Thanks for including this :)

The video isn't mine, but it's really great, and if you're not watching it, you're missing out. The game has a fairly limited set of tools in terms of sprites and music tracks, but goddamn if it doesn't pull together an amazing scene using these.

Yeah, their comedic/dramatic timing is in top form here.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Zerbin7 posted:

Right about here is where I really started to like Edgeworth.

Same here. My initial impression of him was not favorable. I believe I described him as a twat.

Right here was where I started to revise my opinion.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

darealkooky posted:

This is the same guy that tried to get an even more obvious murderer to confess to much lesser crime so he'd still "win"

Something about this case must really bug him.

Must have been a fan of the show.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
aspen colorado banned snowballs? Seriously?

Torches Upon Stars
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.

Aspen, Colorado, Municipal Code Section 15.04.210 posted:

It shall be unlawful for any person to ... discharge any ... device ... upon or at any vehicle, building, or other public or private property, or upon or at any person, or in any public way or place which is public in nature.
How wonderfully broad.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

MegaZeroX posted:

By the way, if we mess up now, even though it is basically impossible for Will Powers to have done it and we have proven someone else could have conceivably done it, we would still get a guilty verdict.

This is not the last time the series will do this, as previously discussed.

Somehow no one in Japanifornia seems to think that reaching the point where they need to start euthanizing people for space like a badly-run animal shelter might be a problem in the justice system.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Iron Heart posted:

How wonderfully broad.

Not particularly absurd for a resort town frequented by the ultra-super rich, that depends on tourism, where everything is windy mountain roads, often with very steep cliff dropoffs.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

This is just such a great scene. Up until now Edgeworth has been this genuinely threatening presence, always ready with another dirty trick or attack from an angle you didn't expect... and then he starts getting humanized a little, when Oldbag and Vasquez both put him off his stride more than once... and then he swoops in here to actually save your rear end right when he's on the verge of victory, overturning everything you expected from him.

And he's a total awkward dork while he's doing it. :allears:

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Plus, it hints at stuff that becomes a major plot/characterization point in the second game. I say this less to spoil and more because I've only really played the second game and now I'm going "oh poo poo" because some stuff is starting to make more sense.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, what kind of powers does Phoenix actually have as far as getting testimony out of people?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Leif. posted:

Not particularly absurd for a resort town frequented by the ultra-super rich, that depends on tourism, where everything is windy mountain roads, often with very steep cliff dropoffs.

Yes banning throwing of objects of any sort within town limits is a logical and sensible course of action.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Glazius posted:

Yeah, what kind of powers does Phoenix actually have as far as getting testimony out of people?

On a scale 1 to 10, it scores somewhere between negative and imaginary.
Or in other words: "gently caress the defense" - Japanifornia's law system

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

Glazius posted:

He can request that people testify again, but the prosecutor needs to approve of this. So basically, his powers are completely reliant on the prosecutor, much like everything else.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

i81icu812 posted:

Yes banning throwing of objects of any sort within town limits is a logical and sensible course of action.

If there's one thing I know about people, and especially the sort of people inclined to get up to mayhem but too much of a pussy to deal with the consequences, it's that unless you rigorously define every last minuscule detail/issue an iron-clad no-exceptions blanket declaration (choose whichever seems least necessary under the assumption that people are inherently reasonable), they will seek out any and all loopholes and use them to gently caress life up for everyone else and "get away with it" (scare quotes because there might not be any legal repercussions but guess who's gonna get punched in the teeth).

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
on the other hand, making perfectly innocuous acts into criminal offenses through overbroad legislation is a great way to encourage abuse of authority through selective enforcement of laws.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

PleasingFungus posted:

on the other hand, making perfectly innocuous acts into criminal offenses through overbroad legislation is a great way to encourage abuse of authority through selective enforcement of laws.

Welcome to human nature. "Don't be a dick" can't be legislated, but not trying to legislate it somehow comes out even worse.

Mors Rattus posted:

: I was hoping I'd come up with a question while pounding on my desk. I didn't.
: ... You have my sympathies.

: I was hoping to come up with a question while I was objecting, Your Honor... I didn't.
: I see... Very well.

This is one of my favorite gags.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Dr. Buttass posted:

If there's one thing I know about people, and especially the sort of people inclined to get up to mayhem but too much of a pussy to deal with the consequences, it's that unless you rigorously define every last minuscule detail/issue an iron-clad no-exceptions blanket declaration (choose whichever seems least necessary under the assumption that people are inherently reasonable), they will seek out any and all loopholes and use them to gently caress life up for everyone else and "get away with it" (scare quotes because there might not be any legal repercussions but guess who's gonna get punched in the teeth).

I'm really not sure how to illustrate that this line of thinking is absurd better than to point out that the law as written makes throwing any object within town limits against the law.

The people in law enforcement and the legal system are just as capable of loving life up for everyone else and have an advantage of a position of authority.

quote:

Aspen, Colorado, Municipal Code Section 15.04.210 posted:

It shall be unlawful for any person to throw any [...] missile, or discharge any [...] device, upon or at any [...] public or private property, or upon or at any person, or in any public way or place which is public in nature.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

And all those Colorado kids grew up without playing catch with their strong male role model.

On the other hand, gym class became marginally more tolerable with the absence of murder ball.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

i81icu812 posted:

The people in law enforcement and the legal system are just as capable of loving life up for everyone else and have an advantage of a position of authority.

I think you're overstating things for a town where Hunter S. Thompson was once a serious contender for sheriff.

The law basically exists so people don't throw snowballs at cars and send them careening off the road to a fiery death.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 3 - Turnabout Samurai
Trial (Day 4) - Part 3

: Hmm...
: I see no issues raised by this testimony...
: Mr. Wright, your cross-examination.
: Okay, Nick, we're close, real close!
: She may be acting tough now... But if you put her on the spot she's sure to falter!
: Find the key you need and twist the truth out of her, Nick!
: Right!

: What time was that?
: We were to meet at 5:00 for the rehearsal. So I'd say it was then.
: When exactly did you and Mr. Manella arrive at the studio?
: About 10 minutes before. I wasn't stuffing any bodies into costumes, mind you.

: Where were the other emplyoees when you got to the studio?
: They weren't there yet.

: Well!? Then you could have put Hammer in that costume, with Sal Manella's help!
: Oh? What did I just say? Did I not just say "I wasn't stuffing any bodies into any costumes"...?
: You should try to listen to what people are saying, boy.
: (B-boy!?)
: The witness will continue her testimony.

: Mr. Powers was taking a nap, correct?
: So he says.
: Did no one go to call him?
: Remember...
: Remember... what?
: There was a dead body lying in front of us. Yet you expect me to be calm?
: (You certainly seemed calm enough when I accused you of murder!)

: Wait a second! Wouldn't that be the other way around!?
: The other way around?
: You discovered a murdered body, and one person was missing, right?
: Wouldn't you normally go looking for the missing person!?
: I have to agree with the defense on this one. Well, Ms. Vasquez?
: Hmph. Logically speaking, perhaps. But no one there was thinking very logically, I assure you. Also.
: Without his Steel Samurai costume, Powers doesn't really stand out.
: We often left him on the bus when shooting at location. No one noticed he was missing.
: (Poor Powers...)
: Hmm... Well, I suppose that explains that.
: Very well, Ms. Vasquez. You may continue.

: What was everyone else doing at that time?
: No one said a thing. It was silent. Completely silent. So we stood there until Powers finally arrived on the scene. "Sorry! Sorry I'm late!" Then... silence. Dead silence.

: Silent.

: Why's everyone so quiet?
: Someone should do something to lighten things up!

: (Oldbag... the security lady.)
: Why did the security lady think Powers had done it?
: She said because she saw him going toward the studio.

: Did the detective arrest Mr. Powers based solely on the security lady's word?
: Perhaps not. She seems to have also given the detective that photograph... Of course, I heard all this after the fact.
: (That photograph... meaning the one taken by the security camera.)
: She's not known for exhibiting the best sense of judgment when it comes to Hammer.
: (Hmm. I don't think there's anything in there I can use.)

: You "asked to be left out"?
: Yes. It seems that everyone else was questioned. And I'm really not fond of that sort of thing.

: But, you can't just decide who the police will and won't question!
: Thankfully, the studio thinks otherwise. They were nice enough to understand that, since we were in a meeting... There was no way we could have been involved. Thus, they covered for us.
: (Covered for you... or covered it up for you? There must have been a lot riding on it, with all those bigwigs at the meeting... I'm sure her "professionals" helped convince everyone they didn't require questioning.)

: The script and your direction notes?
: Yes, they're quite valuable. It wouldn't do to have them stolen.

: Wait a second! I thought you came to Studio One for a rehearsal!
: Why didn't you bring your script and notes!?
: Well, I was under the impression that we wouldn't be able to rehearse anything.
: Why?
: There was a murder, after all! Who could think of rehearsing after that!
: (Oh, yeah, I guess...)
: Very well. Ms. Vasquez, please continue...

: Your Honor!!!
: I have an objection to the witness's last statement!

: (Huh...!?)
: Think!
: Ms. Vasquez said she didn't bring the script because there wouldn't be a rehearsal. Don't you see what that means?

: She would have had to know about the murder before going to Studio One!

: Order! Order!
: Mr. Edgeworth!
: What you have just said... is a reasonable observation.
: However, I find it hard to understand why the prosecution would make such a move! Or are you thinking of a career change to defense!?

: I... appreciate the concern, Your Honor.
: I will stand by my statement, however, regardless of how the court sees my role here.

: Now, Ms. Vasquez...

: (I can't believe Edgeworth is helping me!)
: Hmph. So the prosecution is in cahoots with the defense? What kind of court is this? No matter.
: I think you misunderstood me. I had a perfectly good reaosn to believe there would be no rehearsal.
: Very well, the witness will change her testimony to reflect this reason.

: How did you know about the injury?
: H-how did I know!?
: Sal. He told me.
: (Sal the director... Hmm...)

Loop!

: You have to find something to peg this on her here... Or everything we've done till now will have been wasted! I believe in you, Nick! Go get 'em!

Can you spot the contradiction? It's not hard.

: You "knew that Hammer was injured"...?
: Don't you think that's a little funny?

: I mean, it was the Steel Samurai who was injured!
: It was Will Powers!

: Mr. Wright! Explain yourself!
: Yes, Mr. Hammer is dragging his leg in this photo.

: P-pretending...?

: That person was Mr. Powers, not Mr. Hammer!

: Now, why did you think it was Mr. Hammer who was injured?

: I-I already said it was Sal who told me! Th-that's right! He must have gotten it wrong.
: I think not.
: Mr. Manella was at the run-through that morning. He would have known it was Mr. Powers who was injured. He saw it happen! Why would he tell you the wrong person?

: You must have heard Mr. Manella wrong! Even though he said Mr. Powers was injured...

: You thought he was talking about Mr. Hammer!
: ... Now that you mention it...
: Yes, I believe you're right.
: I'm sure that's what happened.
: Yeah! ...
: Nick!
: You're supposed to be putting her on the spot, not helping her out!
: Oh, right... I kind of talked myself out of that one, didn't I?
: Quick! Start over!

: Ms. Vasquez!

: Actually, you didn't hear anything from Mr. Manella.
: You saw Mr. Hammer limping with your own eyes!
: Yes, but... Wasn't it Mr. Powers who was injured...?
: Yes, but remember!
: Mr. Hammer was dragging his leg, too!

: Aah!
: And when was he doing this...?
: Well... It would have been after he put on the Steel Samurai costume... and went to Studio Two. Where he was murdered!
: Exactly!

: Ms. Vasquez!

: That's why you were confused!

: Order! Order! I will have order!
: Witness!

: Can you refute this claim?
: Hrrmmmm... hmph! ... ...
: (Yeah, let's see you sneak out of this one, Vasquez!)
: ... Very well! I have a question for you!
(Urk... Why are the real killers always so... persistent?)

: Why in the world would I want Mr. Hammer dead? Yes, he'd fallen on hard times, but he was a star! I had nothing to gain from his death! Nothing!
: Yes, you would need a motive. Why would she have killed the victim? If there is a reason, it is unclear to this court.
: Does the defense have anything to say on the matter?

: Nick, no! Saying you can't prove it now would be admitting defeat! She'll get away!
: But... but what proof could I possibly have!?
: I don't care if it's impossible, you still have to fight this one!
: Ugh...
: Okay.

And we end up at the right choice's spot.

: I have proof, and I'll show it to you!

But what could it be?

Next time: Victory?

Chico, California, Municipal Code Section 9.60 posted:

Prohibition on the production, testing, maintenance and storage of nuclear weapons and nuclear weapons delivery systems.
No person shall produce, test, maintain, or store within the city a nuclear weapon, nuclear weapon delivery system, or component of a nuclear weapon delivery system.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 29, 2016

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I find the fact that Municipal code needed to be made mildly disturbing.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Mors Rattus posted:

: Your Honor!!!
: I have an objection to the witness's last statement!

: (Huh...!?)
: Think!
: Ms. Vasquez said she didn't bring the script because there wouldn't be a rehearsal. Don't you see what that means?

: She would have had to know about the murder before going to Studio One!

: Order! Order!
: Mr. Edgeworth!
: What you have just said... is a reasonable observation.
: However, I find it hard to understand why the prosecution would make such a move! Or are you thinking of a career change to defense!?

: I... appreciate the concern, Your Honor.
: I will stand by my statement, however, regardless of how the court sees my role here.

: Now, Ms. Vasquez...

This section right here. This is the beginning of so many wonderful things.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean, it's clear what Edgeworth is doing. Miles isn't defending the innocent; he has the guilty right in front of him and he can tell it's her. So he's going after her.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Night10194 posted:

I mean, it's clear what Edgeworth is doing. Miles isn't defending the innocent; he has the guilty right in front of him and he can tell it's her. So he's going after her.

Except it's not the way things are done in Japanifornia.
Last case, anyone with half a brain could tell Redd White was the culprit two sentences in his testimony. And yet Edgeworth saved the rear end in a top hat before the Mia ex machina.

Once you drag a person into a trial, the Japanifornian prosecutor's duty is to grab, forge, cajole and fix a guilty verdict, come hell or high water. The mere factual innocence of the accused does not matter at that point.

E: I mean, it is already a demonstrated fact that Powers could not have murdered Hammer, because we have photographic evidence of the victim going to studio 2 just before the monkey head fell, with Powers on the wrong side of the head. And yet if we can't prove Vasquez did it Powers is going to swing.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 29, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Remember that Redd White was supremely connected and Edgeworth had a lot of very heavy orders saying 'Hey dude this guy didn't do it and the Attorney did, get it?'

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Miles almost certainly got a call from the Chief Prosecutor about half-assing the prosecution for Redd White.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

cokerpilot posted:

I find the fact that Municipal code needed to be made mildly disturbing.
I'm pretty sure it's the sort of symbolic language declaring a city to be a "nuclear-free zone."

Otherwise, it's redundant in light of a billion federal statutes regulating all things nuclear. If you ever get out of Leavenworth you'll get a municipal citation for $500 :v:

Leif. posted:

I think you're overstating things for a town where Hunter S. Thompson was once a serious contender for sheriff.

The law basically exists so people don't throw snowballs at cars and send them careening off the road to a fiery death.
Right, all the words being elided have meaning and you can't do that in a proper cite because they'd be considered limiting or contextual words necessary for the proper interpretation of the ordinance. The intent of the law is to prevent people from pelting other people or vehicles that could cause a hazard. Yes, theoretically it bans snowball fights, but that's not obviously the thrust of the ordinance.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Has any murderer on trail ever managed to defend themselves by claiming they didn't have a motive? Motive is actually really unimportant. For all we know she might have lost her temper and started fighting him when he insulted her wardrobe after she had a sleepless night. Legally nobody really cares why it happened.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's especially annoying when you consider that Will Powers also has zero motive, but nobody seems to care about that.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Motive tends to get wrapped into premeditation for how "aggravating" the crime was; generally, the more likely you were to have a motive the more likely the prosecution can show that it wasn't an accident gone wrong (involuntary manslaughter) or an activity taken too far without the intent to kill (voluntary manslaughter/recklessness). It's the layman getting confused about the concept of mens rea, or "evil mind" portion of some crimes. You had to have an intent to kill for something to be murder*, but not all homicides are murders, and you can be very well punished for it even if there's no obvious mens rea.

So that in essence renders motive an interesting but tangential part of the crime. If I get caught with a smoking gun over the cooling corpse of a homeless man I've never met, it'd be hard to demonstrate a classic "motive". But the sort of depravity of basically shooting a man to see him die would instantly tag my crime as murder 1 in most US jurisdictions. I didn't shoot him for his health, obviously. I knew precisely what I'd be doing when I pointed a deadly weapon at a person. There could be no mistake or defense in what I did. The actus reus speaks of the mens rea eloquently enough.

*Yes, there's the "felony murder" exception, and quite a few other situations, but that's a level of complexity I'm not willing to deal with at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Air is lava! posted:

Has any murderer on trail ever managed to defend themselves by claiming they didn't have a motive? Motive is actually really unimportant. For all we know she might have lost her temper and started fighting him when he insulted her wardrobe after she had a sleepless night. Legally nobody really cares why it happened.

Motive does matter in some cases, actually,, but it depends on the circumstances.

e;f,b with a much more thorough counterargument.

• Locked thread