Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Alright, excellent. I've managed to make a choice, and I've got a nice new laptop on the way now. The help was really appreciated! Thank you very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Posting from my new Vivobook, and first impressions are good!

Keys themselves feel nice, though they feel a little oversoft underneath? I have some slight concern that they might start to go out after a while, especially since I'm normally a pretty heavy typer. Screen is nice and wide, wish it had some more vertical resolution, but that's mostly nitpicking. The tiny hard drive isn't a huge deal since I just got a $30 microSD card at the same time. Currently playing FTL while I type this post and it's working great. My mental checkpoint for whether I should try a game is, essentially, "can I imagine this running on a tablet", and for the most part, that's worked out as a metric.

Maybe in a couple months, I'll regret not getting a used thinkpad but right now, I'm pretty happy with this tiny baby computer.

Edit One more little nitpick is that the trackpad is a little weird about its right clicks, half the time it thinks I'm left clicking if I push too close to the far edge of the button.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I have a ~3 year old Thinkpad T530 and I can't access the BIOS, despite the start screen saying if you press f1 you can access it, and pressing f1 on that screen. I'm trying to underclock the CPU, because I bought it with an i7 that was probably too much and it overheats constantly. Not enough to shut down but it regularly hits 70C under load and I'm not really comfortable with that. What do I do?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

icantfindaname posted:

I have a ~3 year old Thinkpad T530 and I can't access the BIOS, despite the start screen saying if you press f1 you can access it, and pressing f1 on that screen. I'm trying to underclock the CPU, because I bought it with an i7 that was probably too much and it overheats constantly. Not enough to shut down but it regularly hits 70C under load and I'm not really comfortable with that. What do I do?

1) randomly hit f1 f2 f12 delete enter, it may or may not be one of these
2) do it on an external USB keyboard
3) I'm not sure thinkpads let your change the CPU clock since they're business machines and not :pcgaming: machines. You can probably use windows power options to prevent the CPU from going above a certain clock speed in use.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

icantfindaname posted:

70 under load is fine - just quit worrying about it

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

icantfindaname posted:

Hitting just 70 degrees under load is excellent for mobile i7 and is nowhere near overheating, that comes at 95 degrees and above. Reaching 90C is considered normal for i7 with average cooling. With even good cooling they still reach 80-85 degrees.

Also you can't do anything from laptop BIOS unless you have some very unique model. Try Intel Extreme Tuning Utility instead if you really want to do something. There you can change multipliers, power limits and even under/overvolt a little. (What options are available varies by CPU)

I was quite surprised how much can actually be tweaked from this. Tried to overclock i7 4720HQ as much as possible but current limit throttling is really unforgiving and didn't let me do too much.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

Posting from my new Vivobook, and first impressions are good!

Keys themselves feel nice, though they feel a little oversoft underneath? I have some slight concern that they might start to go out after a while, especially since I'm normally a pretty heavy typer. Screen is nice and wide, wish it had some more vertical resolution, but that's mostly nitpicking. The tiny hard drive isn't a huge deal since I just got a $30 microSD card at the same time. Currently playing FTL while I type this post and it's working great. My mental checkpoint for whether I should try a game is, essentially, "can I imagine this running on a tablet", and for the most part, that's worked out as a metric.

Maybe in a couple months, I'll regret not getting a used thinkpad but right now, I'm pretty happy with this tiny baby computer.

Edit One more little nitpick is that the trackpad is a little weird about its right clicks, half the time it thinks I'm left clicking if I push too close to the far edge of the button.

Some laptop keyboards are good, but most are not known for being fantastic; regardless of the type of keyswitches they'll probably last you the life of the machine. I've never heard of a keyboard actually wearing out, as it's far more likely that a damaged keyboard came from someone spilling something on it. Beyond that you could probably replace it if that actually did happen. Your best bet would be to get a good mechanical keyboard and hook that up at your desk if you're a serious typist.

If you think your laptop doesn't have enough vertical resolution, well just keep in mind that this exists:

(and I have one!) :psyduck:

Trackpads are another component where some are great, but mainstream ones can be pretty mediocre. I hear Macbooks have good keyboards & trackpads especially, but I don't use Apple stuff so can't confirm. (My Chromebook Pixel has good HIDs though.) Anyway, modern trackpads have software-configurable options for recognizing different areas and assigning different functions; you should be able to adjust this on your system but you can do things like add or remove scrolling areas along the sides, change the left/right bias for detecting clicks, and adding gestures. Have you tried doing a two-finger tap for right-click? Two- or three-finger scrolling/app-switching? Poke around in the Synaptics (or whatever) utility, you can probably get your trackpad working the way you'd like it to. (What I'm getting at is that you can probably ignore the trackpad buttons and just use taps to initiate mouse clicks if those buttons aren't behaving they way they should.)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
So I think I've decided on getting a ThinkPad x230. My reasons for this are that the x260s are expensive (~$2000 NZD), the x250s are still at almost new prices (~$1500) and the x240s have the crappy trackpad and seem to actually be slower than the x230s. Is this a bad call? Compared to the others I can get a used x230 for about $500.

My other question is how difficult is it to swap out the screen? Also how easy is it to find the right part? I don't think I'll be able to check if the screen is an IPS (probably won't be, most don't seem to be). I know the ram and HDD will be easy so not worried about that.

My main use for this will be my main computer while travelling for 4.5 months so multimedia, browsing and some games. When I get back I have a desktop so I won't use this much.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
TBH I wouldn't buy an X230 these days - while the IPS screen is okay it's still only 1366x768 which is just garbage and they're hardly a slim and light system for travelling.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What would you recommend instead? I like that I can change alot of the components with the Thinkpad.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Looking for a laptop for my wife as her primary computer. Ideal budget $500, can stretch if need be.

Things she does:
Photo editing
Netflix
Web browsing
School

Things I would like:
1080p
core-i3 or better
IPS panel

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Gray Matter posted:

Looking for a laptop for my wife as her primary computer. Ideal budget $500, can stretch if need be.

Things she does:
Photo editing
Netflix
Web browsing
School

Things I would like:
1080p
core-i3 or better
IPS panel

A couple questions:
Does "photo editing" mean "Photoshop only" or just "light photo editing with any appropriate tools?
What falls under the "school" category? Does this mean "specific Windows programs" or just stuff that can be accessed within a browser?

What I'm trying to get at is if a Chromebook will work for you guys. They'll check every box except "run specific Windows programs."

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Light photo editing with any appropriate tools, she's a hobbyist photographer and I forget which freeware program she uses, I think it was paint.net that I installed for her. There are some specific programs like Kurzweil she needs for school so will need to keep her on Windows.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Are there any good laptop options under $500 CAD for someone who still insists on getting a manufacturer's warranty? My dad's laptop got some kind of drink spilled onto and into it, it no longer boots, and he doesn't want to spend the quoted $300 to replace the motherboard. I took it apart and tested the hard drive, and that still works so he can at least get his data off of it. He just wants something for basic tasks like Word and other documents, web surfing, and some basic YouTube watching.

While they're generally under his budget, I kind of doubt that he'll be convinced by the idea of buying a used T430 off of ebay.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

There are some ChromeOS photo editors: Pixelr, Polarr, Piconion; you could also easily install Ubuntu and use GIMP. If, however, you absolutely need to run Windows applications locally (and can't run them remotely on a spare PC at home like I do) then that's fine. I would suggest checking a deals site like woot.com, which frequently has all sorts of Windows laptops. For example: http://computers.woot.com/plus/dell-business-class-laptops-17?ref=w_gh_cp_4_wp_3

Grog posted:

Are there any good laptop options under $500 CAD for someone who still insists on getting a manufacturer's warranty? My dad's laptop got some kind of drink spilled onto and into it, it no longer boots, and he doesn't want to spend the quoted $300 to replace the motherboard. I took it apart and tested the hard drive, and that still works so he can at least get his data off of it. He just wants something for basic tasks like Word and other documents, web surfing, and some basic YouTube watching.

While they're generally under his budget, I kind of doubt that he'll be convinced by the idea of buying a used T430 off of ebay.

Ok this sounds exactly like a job for a Chromebook! They can do everything you mentioned, are often cheap, and yes you can just buy a new one with a warranty. User misuse (like spilling something on it) usually isn't covered though since that's not a manufacturer defect. You'd have to get a 3rd party "everything covered" warranty, maybe through Squaretrade? Also there's a new model, the Acer Chromebook for Work 14 that is ruggedized and specifically has a spill-proof keyboard that drains through the bottom: http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/professional-series/acerchromebook14forwork

I actually just got one of those, it's nice and the $350US Celeron model would be fine for your Dad and within your price (although I'd suggest the $600US one which upgrades several components, most importantly the display, but this isn't essential.)

There are other Chromebooks that would be fine, though, you don't have to go straight for that one. If you tell me exactly what you're looking for (size/portability, etc.) I can offer other suggestions.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gray Matter posted:

Things she does:
Photo editing
Netflix
Web browsing
School

Things I would like:
1080p
core-i3 or better
IPS panel

Watch slickdeals, you can get an i5, 8GB, 1080p laptop for $500 or less these days. It's the new 4GB/1366x768!

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Ok this sounds exactly like a job for a Chromebook!
Sorry, should have mentioned that my parents also have a slightly older network-attached laser printer and there are only Windows and Mac versions of the controller software (which has to run on each networked machine). They shut down the other networked computer when it's not in use, so the Google Cloud Print workaround probably wouldn't work. I believe he also uses a couple of other Windows-specific programs, but those might have alternatives on Chrome OS. The Chromebook for Work also doesn't seem to be available here. If I could convince him to buy a Chromebook, there's currently a 14" HP Chromebook for $330 at Best Buy. Would that be decent? I have no idea if it would be "good enough," and the 11.6" model has more RAM and storage space, but nope (he gave a more definitive answer of "I think I'm too old to switch over to those new things" for the idea of a Chromebook). From what I've seen, he would probably have issues with anything below the 14" range just in terms of being able to easily read things.

Is there a minimum model of CPU/APU and amount of RAM I should be looking for on any given Windows laptop? I think his previous laptop had either an i3-4100U or i5-4200U and 4 GB of RAM, so that and a cheap 5400 RPM hard drive are what he's used to. I know my ideal would probably be to find something with a decent i5 and an SSD, but that's not within his budget. This is a time when those refurb ThinkPads seem like they might be a good idea, but again, it's not my choice to make.

There's currently a Dell Inspiron 3000 15.6" on sale at Best Buy for $499.99 that seems like it might be okay and is just at the limit of his budget, although he'll never use 1 TB of space and probably won't use the touchscreen much. From what limited benchmarks I found, the i3-5015U in that Dell seems to be around the same kind of performance as the i5-4200U. There's also an HP with an A8-7410, but that seems to perform better in certain things and then significantly worse in others.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 27, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Grog posted:

Sorry, should have mentioned that my parents also have a slightly older network-attached laser printer and there are only Windows and Mac versions of the controller software (which has to run on each networked machine). They shut down the other networked computer when it's not in use, so the Google Cloud Print workaround probably wouldn't work. I believe he also uses a couple of other Windows-specific programs, but those might have alternatives on Chrome OS. The Chromebook for Work also doesn't seem to be available here. If I could convince him to buy a Chromebook, there's currently a 14" HP Chromebook for $330 at Best Buy. Would that be decent? I have no idea if it would be "good enough," and the 11.6" model has more RAM and storage space, but nope (he gave a more definitive answer of "I think I'm too old to switch over to those new things" for the idea of a Chromebook). From what I've seen, he would probably have issues with anything below the 14" range just in terms of being able to easily read things.

Is there a minimum model of CPU/APU and amount of RAM I should be looking for on any given Windows laptop? I think his previous laptop had either an i3-4100U or i5-4200U and 4 GB of RAM, so that and a cheap 5400 RPM hard drive are what he's used to. I know my ideal would probably be to find something with a decent i5 and an SSD, but that's not within his budget. This is a time when those refurb ThinkPads seem like they might be a good idea, but again, it's not my choice to make.

There's currently a Dell Inspiron 3000 15.6" on sale at Best Buy for $499.99 that seems like it might be okay and is just at the limit of his budget, although he'll never use 1 TB of space and probably won't use the touchscreen much. From what limited benchmarks I found, the i3-5015U in that Dell seems to be around the same kind of performance as the i5-4200U. There's also an HP with an A8-7410, but that seems to perform better in certain things and then significantly worse in others.

As far as printing is concerned, how often do they actually need to do it? If it's only occasionally, then they can manage by using GCP and turning on a PC when necessary. If they frequently need to print, then they can just leave the PC on for longer durations. The same for Windows programs; set up GCP and CRD on a PC and connect to that when necessary. It's not hard! And the "too old to switch over" doesn't make sense unless he doesn't use a Web browser now; if he can manage to figure out Chrome he can use a Chromebook. Does your Dad still have one of these or has he upgraded to a smartphone?
:colbert:
Be realistic, this is not rocket surgery. There are quite a few 14" models to choose from, and the Acer 15 is nice. That HP 14 is not recommended; it only has 2 GB of RAM and a slow Atom CPU; aim for 4 GB and an N3xxx CPU at a minimum, preferably a Celeron 2xxxU or 3xxxU. If he doesn't need to use something portable then you could hook up a Chromebox to any large LCD panel for ease of viewing. It looks like Chrome devices are hard to find out of the US; could you order from amazon.com (not .ca)? They have pretty much every device I'd recommend.

I understand that ChromeOS devices don't work for some people, but this scenario is almost exclusively limited to those with no access to a Windows machine for occasional remote access. It sounds like this is not the problem here and your Dad is being a big babby. If you're offering your help you need to tell him that he needs to be willing to accept your advice or he's on his own. If I can make Chromebooks work with the occasional remote access to a Windows system then trust me, they're going to be more than sufficient for whatever he's doing.

If you insist on a Windows machine, however, aim for i3 / 4 GB RAM / SSD. The latter is significant, don't settle for a system without an SSD as the boot drive. There are way too many Windows laptops for me to recommend specific models, and I'm specializing in Chromebook advice on the forum. (If you don't want to take my advice then you're on your own. ;))

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Grog posted:

From what I've seen, he would probably have issues with anything below the 14" range just in terms of being able to easily read things.

Don't judge on just screen size - screen quality and resolution have a lot to do with it. And Windows 10 has better scaling (although it's still far from perfect) than previous versions of Windows.

Example: Tons of people (even old ones) have no problem reading on a 9" iPad, or an even smaller Kindle. My mom went from a 15.6" Acer with a 1366x768 screen to an iPad Mini and guess which one she likes more? I was worried the Mini vs the regular iPad would be the wrong choice but she hasn't' complained about it at all.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
FWIW I'm on chromeos at the moment and scaling is pretty much perfect.

(I turned it off after a bit though, 2560x1700 ownsss)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I just left my job, and consequently I no longer have my work laptop, which I was using for plenty of other stuff too. So now I'm jonesing to buy my own laptop (for the first time). I'm willing to spend around $1000 for something nice, if necessary, because I'm possibly going to be using this to show off some graphic/interface design stuff to potential employers.

Because I'm interested in web design stuff, I'm very strongly considering a 2-in-1 convertible device. I also want it to be comfortable for programming, so a screen on the larger end of the spectrum is preferred. And I'm kind of a resolution whore but I guess I could live with 1080p. (OLED is the dream, but from what I've read it looks like I'd have to wait a bit longer than I'm really able to for that.)

I wouldn't say no to a "gaming laptop" but it's very low priority. I already have my desktop and Steam Link for that. I mainly just want something that's not likely to lag too much during a CSS animation of a photo, or an emulated mobile device. I may also be interested in using it for music/audio production (Cakewalk, Logic, stuff like that).

Other than that, I guess disk space is a partial deciding factor. Probably wouldn't do anything less than 500GB.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

If you're buying a Lenovo laptop try this link out: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...ty=epp_cocacola

Password is CocaCola.

Works for 28% off all thinkpads.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Atomizer posted:

As far as printing is concerned, how often do they actually need to do it? If it's only occasionally, then they can manage by using GCP and turning on a PC when necessary. If they frequently need to print, then they can just leave the PC on for longer durations. The same for Windows programs; set up GCP and CRD on a PC and connect to that when necessary. It's not hard! And the "too old to switch over" doesn't make sense unless he doesn't use a Web browser now; if he can manage to figure out Chrome he can use a Chromebook. Does your Dad still have one of these or has he upgraded to a smartphone?
:colbert:
He still has a flip phone, actually. Neither of my parents uses a smartphone, and they're reluctant to move over. They don't like dealing with technological change and don't like any further complications to the way they do things. I explained to him that a Chromebook would be enough for his needs and that he'd be getting an SSD with it instead of a standard hard drive, but he still wants the Windows laptop. Unfortunately, he's pretty set in his ways and I don't expect I'll convince him in this case. I can do it when it comes to buying/upgrading the hardware in their tower, but he doesn't care as much about the laptop and just wants to be able to go pick something up locally within his initial budget and have it be done.

Bob Morales posted:

Don't judge on just screen size - screen quality and resolution have a lot to do with it. And Windows 10 has better scaling (although it's still far from perfect) than previous versions of Windows.

Example: Tons of people (even old ones) have no problem reading on a 9" iPad, or an even smaller Kindle. My mom went from a 15.6" Acer with a 1366x768 screen to an iPad Mini and guess which one she likes more? I was worried the Mini vs the regular iPad would be the wrong choice but she hasn't' complained about it at all.
Again, this is unfortunately about the way he uses these things. He sits on the couch with the laptop on the table or in his chair with it on his lap and he likes being able to type on physical keys.

Believe me, I'd rather he get a better deal for his money, but I don't think it's going to happen this time. Sorry to have wasted your time, people. Thanks for the advice, in any case.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 28, 2016

Ralphus
Dec 15, 2003

Atomizer posted:

A couple questions:
Does "photo editing" mean "Photoshop only" or just "light photo editing with any appropriate tools?
What falls under the "school" category? Does this mean "specific Windows programs" or just stuff that can be accessed within a browser?

What I'm trying to get at is if a Chromebook will work for you guys. They'll check every box except "run specific Windows programs."

Is Lightroom considered "light photo editing"?
I've got a 2015 Toshiba Chromebook 2 with the i3 CPU. I mainly use it for Netflix, surfing the internet, and playing music over bluetooth via Play Music. However, I also occasionally want to do some photography stuff, mainly Lightroom-esque things. My issue is that whenever I try to use Polarr to edit/ develop a .NEF (RAW) file the entire laptop shits all over itself and runs super slowly. Is this because of Polarr or is it a hardware issue? I'm going to try some other photo apps but I figued I'd ask here too. I'd really hate to buy a Windows laptop as I love using ChromeOS so I'm hoping maybe I'm missing something simple/ obvious. I actually am going to sell the Toshiba and will probably replace it with a Dell Chromebook 13 and throw a 256gb SSD in it as I'd like something a little more rugged, but other than the photo issue ChromeOS does everything I need it to.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

I just left my job, and consequently I no longer have my work laptop, which I was using for plenty of other stuff too. So now I'm jonesing to buy my own laptop (for the first time). I'm willing to spend around $1000 for something nice, if necessary, because I'm possibly going to be using this to show off some graphic/interface design stuff to potential employers.

Because I'm interested in web design stuff, I'm very strongly considering a 2-in-1 convertible device. I also want it to be comfortable for programming, so a screen on the larger end of the spectrum is preferred. And I'm kind of a resolution whore but I guess I could live with 1080p. (OLED is the dream, but from what I've read it looks like I'd have to wait a bit longer than I'm really able to for that.)

I wouldn't say no to a "gaming laptop" but it's very low priority. I already have my desktop and Steam Link for that. I mainly just want something that's not likely to lag too much during a CSS animation of a photo, or an emulated mobile device. I may also be interested in using it for music/audio production (Cakewalk, Logic, stuff like that).

Other than that, I guess disk space is a partial deciding factor. Probably wouldn't do anything less than 500GB.

You're interested in a convertible (flip around from laptop-to-tablet) or 2-in-1 (which often but not always refers to a tablet with detachable keyboard hybrid device)? The only thoughts I have are that these devices tend to be thin & light, with middling input devices. The convertibles have to be comfortable to hold as a tablet, so can't be too big and thus don't generally have large displays or great keyboards. "Detachables" are similar, except they tend to be top-heavy as the tablet contains most of the important electronics. These types of devices have tradeoffs that conflict with your desire to have a comfortable work device. I mean it's not that you can't get a nice device like a Surface, and the Lenovo Yoga line also comes to mind.

Grog posted:

He still has a flip phone, actually. Neither of my parents uses a smartphone, and they're reluctant to move over. They don't like dealing with technological change and don't like any further complications to the way they do things. I explained to him that a Chromebook would be enough for his needs and that he'd be getting an SSD with it instead of a standard hard drive, but he still wants the Windows laptop. Unfortunately, he's pretty set in his ways and I don't expect I'll convince him in this case. I can do it when it comes to buying/upgrading the hardware in their tower, but he doesn't care as much about the laptop and just wants to be able to go pick something up locally within his initial budget and have it be done.
Again, this is unfortunately about the way he uses these things. He sits on the couch with the laptop on the table or in his chair with it on his lap and he likes being able to type on physical keys.

Believe me, I'd rather he get a better deal for his money, but I don't think it's going to happen this time. Sorry to have wasted your time, people. Thanks for the advice, in any case.

Interesting. With that in mind, I'm sure there are still plenty of Windows options for you (but part of the reason I'm specializing in Chrome stuff is that the Windows devices have bored me.) The main issue is going to be finding a device locally as it seems a lot of the hardware we have available in the US isn't available over the border (or overseas for that matter.) I think your best options will be to find your preferred sellers (whether that's Amazon or a local store) and just filter the devices to find one; I can't really recommend something that isn't available to you for purchase.

Ralphus posted:

Is Lightroom considered "light photo editing"?
I've got a 2015 Toshiba Chromebook 2 with the i3 CPU. I mainly use it for Netflix, surfing the internet, and playing music over bluetooth via Play Music. However, I also occasionally want to do some photography stuff, mainly Lightroom-esque things. My issue is that whenever I try to use Polarr to edit/ develop a .NEF (RAW) file the entire laptop shits all over itself and runs super slowly. Is this because of Polarr or is it a hardware issue? I'm going to try some other photo apps but I figued I'd ask here too. I'd really hate to buy a Windows laptop as I love using ChromeOS so I'm hoping maybe I'm missing something simple/ obvious. I actually am going to sell the Toshiba and will probably replace it with a Dell Chromebook 13 and throw a 256gb SSD in it as I'd like something a little more rugged, but other than the photo issue ChromeOS does everything I need it to.

I think Lightroom qualifies as "light" photo editing, especially because you can apparently do it via a Web interface and don't need to install anything (Photoshop and GIMP would be the heavier-duty programs that come to mind.)

I'm guessing your issue is not software or hardware, but network-related because you mentioned RAW. How big are the files you're trying to edit?

Ralphus
Dec 15, 2003

Atomizer posted:

I think Lightroom qualifies as "light" photo editing, especially because you can apparently do it via a Web interface and don't need to install anything (Photoshop and GIMP would be the heavier-duty programs that come to mind.)

I'm guessing your issue is not software or hardware, but network-related because you mentioned RAW. How big are the files you're trying to edit?

They range from 8mb or so up to 24mb. I wonder if putting a bigger SSD in the laptop would help, I could copy the files directly onto that then try to edit them. I try to keep the files small since the laptop has such a small amount of storage space and I usually end up editing them right off the SD card. Once I can run android apps on it I bet Lightroom will work decently too. It's *doable* right now, but just really slow and kinda clunky.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ralphus posted:

They range from 8mb or so up to 24mb. I wonder if putting a bigger SSD in the laptop would help, I could copy the files directly onto that then try to edit them. I try to keep the files small since the laptop has such a small amount of storage space and I usually end up editing them right off the SD card. Once I can run android apps on it I bet Lightroom will work decently too. It's *doable* right now, but just really slow and kinda clunky.

But as far as I'm aware, the Web-based photo editors actually require you to upload the photo and work on it remotely, rather than doing the work locally. That's why you'd experience delays when trying to work on a 24 MB file; you have to wait for it to upload, then the server performs your edits, then it downloads the results, etc.

I'm not an expert on all of those Web-based photo editors though; I think I used Photoshop Express once, and it was fine, but the last significant photo editing was on my Windows desktop with GIMP. I'll bet you'd get good results if you use Crouton to install Ubuntu and then run GIMP. I don't think you have to upgrade the SSD at all (unless you were going to do it anyway.)

Ralphus
Dec 15, 2003

Atomizer posted:

But as far as I'm aware, the Web-based photo editors actually require you to upload the photo and work on it remotely, rather than doing the work locally. That's why you'd experience delays when trying to work on a 24 MB file; you have to wait for it to upload, then the server performs your edits, then it downloads the results, etc.

I'm not an expert on all of those Web-based photo editors though; I think I used Photoshop Express once, and it was fine, but the last significant photo editing was on my Windows desktop with GIMP. I'll bet you'd get good results if you use Crouton to install Ubuntu and then run GIMP. I don't think you have to upgrade the SSD at all (unless you were going to do it anyway.)

Yeah, I think you're right- my brain agreed with you but my fingers went off on a tangent and typed out something else, it's been a long day :) That explains why Polarr worked fine at our house but was slow at my in-laws', they have a much slower internet connection than we do.
I've tried to get Crouton working but never succeeded. Maybe I'll dink around with it a bit tomorrow if I have some time. I've used Corel AfterShot Pro 2 for a while in conjunction with Lightroom, it's nice because it works in both Windows and Linux. I'll see if I can get Crouton working, load up AfterShot, and give that a whirl.
Thanks for your help! I'll shut up now and stop the semi-derail.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

HP announced a new 11.5" chromebook for $189, it's wholly unremarkable except for the fact that it has two USB-C ports and gets 12.5 hours of battery life.

For whatever reason, it doesn't appear to charge from those USB ports, the spec sheet explicitly says it charges via the 4.5mm barrel port.

That USB-C charging Chromebook 13/14 looks pretty interesting though.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

What would you recommend instead? I like that I can change alot of the components with the Thinkpad.

Has anyone got a call on this? I need to get a laptop in the next couple of weeks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like the Asus UX305. They have a 13" IPS 1080p display, 256gig ssd, 8gig RAM. I have the fanless version but they have an i5 model for a little more money.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
USB-C charging sucks though. I guess not as bad as normal usb charging would be because it works both ways, but I still don't like it. There's a lot of resistance happening plugging/unplugging it and it feels like if I accidentally tug the thing the wrong way a bit too much I'll annihilate it.

And no, I'm not bitter because my chomebook doesn't support video over usb-c, and instead only has those ports to charge through, why'd you ask? :v:

Can confirm asus ultrabooks own, though.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Truga posted:

Can confirm asus ultrabooks own, though.

As an anecdote on this, I posted a while back (Beginning of the year) asking about ultrabooks. Long story short, couldn't afford an XPS13 with the money I had but I could get the Zenbook UX303UA. It's been brilliant. Solid build, touchscreen works (Although I barely use it), screen quality is good, and an i5 Skylake CPU and all that it's been brilliant. In terms of battery life I get at least 7 hours, averaging around 10 and sometimes a bit more if I'm easy on it.

Basically, ASUS ultrabooks rock.

Edit: I don't have Type-C though, the only real downfall of the thing.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

HP announced a new 11.5" chromebook for $189, it's wholly unremarkable except for the fact that it has two USB-C ports and gets 12.5 hours of battery life.

For whatever reason, it doesn't appear to charge from those USB ports, the spec sheet explicitly says it charges via the 4.5mm barrel port.

That USB-C charging Chromebook 13/14 looks pretty interesting though.

Wait, which Chromebook is this? The HP 11 G5 with touchscreen option is the newest one I've heard about, and I can't find any previews that say it has Type C ports. :confused:

The failure to use the Type C ports for charging is huge, though. :(

Truga posted:

USB-C charging sucks though. I guess not as bad as normal usb charging would be because it works both ways, but I still don't like it. There's a lot of resistance happening plugging/unplugging it and it feels like if I accidentally tug the thing the wrong way a bit too much I'll annihilate it.

And no, I'm not bitter because my chomebook doesn't support video over usb-c, and instead only has those ports to charge through, why'd you ask? :v:

Are you saying you're having an issue with the actual cable/connection? Because actual charging over Type C works great, it's a fantastic technological improvement. I had a Pixel LS that made what I'd describe as a perfect connection between the Type C cable & port, but it was exchanged because it had a fan issue. The replacement Pixel has a stiffer connection, but it still works fine, so yeah, there seems to be some inconsistency in Type C connectors. What Chromebook do you have, though, that has Type C but doesn't support at least DP over Type C? (I don't know if any of the Type C-equipped devices utilize TB, I don't have anything to test that with.)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Afaik the current chomebook pixel does not do DP over usb-c? Every google hit is telling me that, but if they are lying to me I'll be a very happy camper.

And yeah, it's a very stiff connection, but at the same time the connector itself feels flimsy to the point I'm never sure I won't rip it off every time I pull it out at the end of workday :v:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Truga posted:

Afaik the current chomebook pixel does not do DP over usb-c? Every google hit is telling me that, but if they are lying to me I'll be a very happy camper.

And yeah, it's a very stiff connection, but at the same time the connector itself feels flimsy to the point I'm never sure I won't rip it off every time I pull it out at the end of workday :v:

Oh, well I'd rather have the cable disconnect (like a breakaway connector) than pull my $1k+ device to the floor.

And I'll see if I can come up with something for you about the Pixel & DP-out.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Atomizer posted:

You're interested in a convertible (flip around from laptop-to-tablet) or 2-in-1 (which often but not always refers to a tablet with detachable keyboard hybrid device)? The only thoughts I have are that these devices tend to be thin & light, with middling input devices. The convertibles have to be comfortable to hold as a tablet, so can't be too big and thus don't generally have large displays or great keyboards. "Detachables" are similar, except they tend to be top-heavy as the tablet contains most of the important electronics. These types of devices have tradeoffs that conflict with your desire to have a comfortable work device. I mean it's not that you can't get a nice device like a Surface, and the Lenovo Yoga line also comes to mind.

Ah, didn't even realize there was a difference. Yes, convertible is what I meant. Ultimately the way it feels as a laptop will be more important to me than the way it feels as a tablet, as I plan to use the former more often. I like the idea of the different form factors combined in one device; not necessarily concerned about being able to hold it for long periods of time.

I'm fairly sure I've seen a Lenovo device that looks like what I want; maybe it was a Yoga. Speaking of which, has their whole spyware controversy subsided or is that still a thing? I realize Windows 10 is pretty much just as "spyware" as anything Lenovo did so it's probably a moot point.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Atomizer posted:

Oh, well I'd rather have the cable disconnect (like a breakaway connector) than pull my $1k+ device to the floor.

https://griffintechnology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable

I'm super tempted to buy this for this exact reason.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Ah, didn't even realize there was a difference. Yes, convertible is what I meant. Ultimately the way it feels as a laptop will be more important to me than the way it feels as a tablet, as I plan to use the former more often. I like the idea of the different form factors combined in one device; not necessarily concerned about being able to hold it for long periods of time.

I'm fairly sure I've seen a Lenovo device that looks like what I want; maybe it was a Yoga. Speaking of which, has their whole spyware controversy subsided or is that still a thing? I realize Windows 10 is pretty much just as "spyware" as anything Lenovo did so it's probably a moot point.

Yeah, the problem is that there isn't quite standardized terminology; "flip", "convertible", "hybrid", "2-in-1", etc., so I had to ask for clarification to see exactly what you wanted. You could get something like the Yoga 15, with a 1080P 15.6" touch display, i7, and a 940MX, which isn't exactly gaming-conducive but is better than your typical integrated graphics.

Truga posted:

https://griffintechnology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable

I'm super tempted to buy this for this exact reason.

I looked into that. I think I turned it down because the Amazon reviews mentioned things like how it's rather large and is liable to snap off itself and damage the port, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

I'm selling a Lenovo T430 laptop in SA-Mart if anyone is looking for a Thinkpad:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781245&pagenumber=1#lastpost