Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Never trust a goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

hup posted:

Season five really gets back on the ball with the second episode; the only real clunker in six was the one where the Dean gets the 90s VR computer.

JESUS WEPT! because of this lovely opinion.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Donald Glover's character really was kind of bad. Now his performance was obviously great, but the character itself was weak and inconsistent. He'd switch from dumb jock to nerd to put-upon kid to sheltered dork to a young man coming to age. The uniting joke was... that he was dumb and naive I guess? That the character was mostly improvised makes sense.

But this wasn't really a problem because it was Donald Glover.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 28, 2016

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Is this some kind of fumetti comic? I don't understand.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Derrick Comedy in general is great, including their movie, Mystery Team. It's a shame they don't do stuff anymore because their sketches are all really top notch.
I dunno. A lot of it hasn't aged well, or at least doesn't hold up as you get older.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timeless Appeal posted:

I dunno. A lot of it hasn't aged well, or at least doesn't hold up as you get older.

Granted, but Gink is even more relevant today.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Donald Glover's character really was kind of bad. Now his performance was obviously great, but the character itself was weak and inconsistent. He'd switch from dumb jock to nerd to put-upon kid to sheltered dork to a young man coming to age. The uniting joke was... that he was dumb and naive I guess? That the character was mostly improvised makes sense.

I was more surprised by the "Allison Brie is obnoxious" thing, because anyone who doesn't think she's a complete delight is clearly insane.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Pretty much non of the characters were the same as they were introduced in the first few episodes of season 1. This isn't really character growth (Jeff was probably the only character that had any growth as a character) but more of strange evolving and trying to figure out what the show actually was.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a general opinion question I'm curious about: Brian Bendis or Geoff Johns?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bendis, for sure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'll take Bendis' best work over Johns', but I'd probably rather read Johns' worst work than Bendis'

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Bendis, unless it's an event book.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'd take a bullet through my ears, thanks.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
On one hand, Ultimate Spider-Man is more fun than Johns' Flash.

On the other hand, I don't think Johns has ever given me the creeps the way Bendis sometimes can.

So probably Bendis.

CapnAndy posted:

Bendis, unless it's an event book.
Bendis's event books are bland, they're not unreadable like Infinite Crisis.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Absolutely bendis, not even a question. I don't really know why so much of BSS doesn't like him.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Johns has Flash, and stuff I like but always forget about like his work on Teen Titans or JSA or even some of his Superman Pre-Flashpoint. But Bendis has Ultimate Spider-Man, Daredevil, and Alias and just those three make it a knockout.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timeless Appeal posted:

Bendis's event books are bland, they're not unreadable like Infinite Crisis.

Age of Ultron disagrees. Besides, bland is the worst kind of bad. At least truly terrible failures are entertaining on that merit.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
You know that sounds like a good ethos and everything, but who the gently caress wants to read House of M over Infinite Crisis. I'd rather do taxes than read Infinite Crisis.

Travis343 posted:

Absolutely bendis, not even a question. I don't really know why so much of BSS doesn't like him.
Honestly, it was out of liking him that I grew a distaste. I was super into his Avengers books, but he never really stuck the landing and things never really paid off the way you hoped.

Also, that one Hood story where bad guys are watching a video of a naked Tigra getting the poo poo beaten out of each other and Bucky is asked to kiss a villain's gun. When people were skeeved out about heroines too often being naked in his books, I wrote it off, but that's when I started getting creeped out by the guy.

But in the end, I think he definitely had an infinitely more net positive impact on the Marvel Universe than Johns.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's a general opinion question I'm curious about : Brian Bendis or Geoff Johns?

I'm all for the Bendiman. I can complain endlessly about him but overall I do like him as a writer. He just has some glaring flaws that are fun to laugh at.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Johns all the way except when he eventually goes "Murder! Blood! Shock!" He can write event books, is good at giving characters their own voice, amazing at revitalizing or expanding comic legacy or lore, and appreciates most b through z list characters.

Bendis event books are garbage, his dialogue is too wordy and seems to spin wheels, and a lot of his characters read the same to me.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 28, 2016

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I also don't think we really get Fraction's Marvel stuff without Bendis either.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timeless Appeal posted:

So, no loss?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
^^ besides some of the best comics of the last 10 years

Timeless Appeal posted:

No that would be Hickman, as he started as the co-writer of Secret Warriors. Fraction was with Brubaker.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

So, no loss?
It'll be nice when you're banned again in like a week.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bobkatt013 posted:

^^ besides some of the best comics of the last 10 years

Such as the first 15 issues of Hawkeye, Immortal Iron Fist, and...? Defenders maybe? That's really about it.

redbackground posted:

Yes, it will be.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

redbackground posted:

I can't decide between :rolleyes: or :jerkbag: take your pick.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

No that would be Hickman, as he started as the co-writer of Secret Warriors. Fraction was with Brubaker.
I know that's who brought him in; I'm just not sure that Immortal Iron Fist happens without Bendis's Daredevil and revitalization of Cage. Like, I know it doesn't require those components to exist from a story perspective, but I think that stuff created an environment for something like Iron Fist to happen.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Bendis writes some great comics but I think he likes the slow burn/decompressed stuff a tad too much so quite a few of his comics feel like they are spinning their wheels over multiple issues.
One thing that you can say for Bendis and Johns is that when they are writing characters they love (Spiderman and Superman) they absolutely nail the characterization like no other.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I'll go for BMB every time. Bendis is a good writer whose stylistic quirks don't fit well with big pop superhero genre work. Johns is a mediocre writer* who knows superhero genre stuff inside-out.

* Even a bad writer can turn in some good or at times excellent work. Johns has done some swell things, but his body of work as a whole is, in terms of craft, a moist fart into a paper bag.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Holy buckets yes! Amazon Prime video is available by itself now and for only $9 a month.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Holy buckets yes! Amazon Prime video is available by itself now and for only $9 a month.

Binge watch BTAS.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Squizzle posted:

Binge watch BTAS.

It is behind CYE, Veep, and The Wire.

Edit: You know what. I have a 4 day weekend coming up and am home alone. It is being considered now.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I can't decide between :rolleyes: or :jerkbag: take your pick.

how about :rapingachild:

e: oh weird that one doesn't seem to work

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

So you're paying $9 more a year to NOT get free shipping?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alaois posted:

how about :rapingachild:

e: oh weird that one doesn't seem to work

:aatrek:
EDIT:

Rhyno posted:

No free shipping, no music, no 20% off new video games, plus some Kindle things

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 28, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oh THAT'S the syntax for it thanx fam

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

WickedHate posted:

JESUS WEPT! because of this lovely opinion.

"Season four was better than season five" -you

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Rhyno posted:

We do not order a ton of stuff from Amazon.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

hup posted:

"Season four was better than season five" -you

Yes, except for the finale, which really was weapons grade terrible, and that still means season 4 is the second worst overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

We do not order a ton of stuff from Amazon.

Sounds like you should fix that and save yourself $9.

• Locked thread