Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

I did read somewhere (I forget where) that the Polish magazine that had the 480 equal to a 970 was using a Zotac (?) factory overclocked card that performs on par with a normal 980. Or something.

http://videocardz.com/61512/first-radeon-rx-480-gaming-benchmarks-hit-the-web

Again, the 970 is OCed to 980 levels.

Since I'm waiting for a card to play Wiedzmin 3: Dziki Gon it seems the 480 is the card I'm going to get. :hellyeah:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Grim Up North posted:

http://videocardz.com/61512/first-radeon-rx-480-gaming-benchmarks-hit-the-web

Again, the 970 is OCed to 980 levels.

Since I'm waiting for a card to play Wiedzmin 3: Dziki Gon it seems the 480 is the card I'm going to get. :hellyeah:

The card isn't overclocked any further than the typical 970 that you purchase, and the stock clock is basically relevant anyway because you can overclock any model to 1450-1550. The 970 they used is pretty much indicative of the out of the box performance from 970s. The comparison to a 980 is basically also a moot point because while a 970 at 1450 will beat a stock 980, a 980 can likewise be run at 1450 and trounce the 970.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
poo poo leaking left and right on sites.

C/O WCCFT, I guess that sums up AMD's argument in a single picture, huh?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Even if it's at 970 or higher levels, that's a significant upgrade for me. Now the wait for custom coolers begins.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hey real benchmarks

It loses most of the time to the 390 and 970.

E: Also it's a FuryX-level overclocking trainwreck

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Thermal throttling confirmed, I wonder what you'd get if you repasted it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BurritoJustice posted:

Hey real benchmarks

Oh... guess I'll just keep my 970 and buy my dad the RX 480 if he wants. Sigh.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
To be absolutely fair to AMD here, it's never been a wonderful idea to expect to overclock red reference cards, unless you enjoy being on fire.

To be somewhat less fair to AMD, this card is pointless and next year is too late, particularly if this arch improvement is mirrored in the 390 to 490 transition, and what the christ would they be able to price it as.

I am not looking forward to a grim green monopoly, but weeeeeeelp.

vvv

I guess. We still live in a world where the 290, 390 and 970 exist though, and by this logic there should never be a 490 and 490x. They sort of have to make some money in the meantime, though, don't they?

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 29, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

teagone posted:

Oh... guess I'll just keep my 970 and buy my dad the RX 480 if he wants. Sigh.
If you were expecting to do anything but sidegrade at that performance level... :suicide:

Judging by the benchmarks it seems they sacrificed raw horsepower and ROPs for better tesselation and Maxwell-case improvements. Cost reduction on the die was definitely a goal, but sucks for the people who want anything better than a 390 or 970 without shelling out 400 or more.

Actually, you can do that already, just buy a 980ti fire sale for $310 :tipshat:

Moogle posted:

To be absolutely fair to AMD here, it's never been a wonderful idea to expect to overclock red reference cards, unless you enjoy being on fire.

To be somewhat less fair to AMD, this card is pointless and next year is too late, particularly if this arch improvement is mirrored in the 490 to 390 transition, and what the christ would they be able to price it as.

I am not looking forward to a grim green monopoly, but weeeeeeelp.
There's already a green monopoly at the price point most of us care about (i.e. $toomuch). It's easy to forget that their target market is people on 660tis and 7850s looking for upgrades if you're reading this thread.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:cawg:

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Obviously because he wanted to buy one himself on the cheap because the RX 480 wasn't going to compete. Brilliant strategy.

It looks like r/AMD is about prepared for full meltdown mode, already have people talking about how they sold their R9 390's/GTX 970's in preparation for the RX 480.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

If you were expecting to do anything but sidegrade at that performance level... :suicide:

I got hyped from the 980 performance rumors, and possibly exceeding that with decent OC'ing capability. Performance like that at a $200 price point sounded really good, and would give me a chance to get a slight upgrade and give my dad my 970 to replace the Radeon 7850 I gave him.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Beautiful Ninja posted:

It looks like r/AMD is about prepared for full meltdown mode, already have people talking about how they sold their R9 390's/GTX 970's in preparation for the RX 480.
They could wait for the 1060, which will be 970 performance levels and cost $330 (970's original MSRP) for the founder's edition.

:ironicat:

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
If we're doing predictions I'd say it'll slot just around or below Fury X, and cost $300. Which'll leave AMD poo poo out of luck when they expect to pinch off the 490.

This is not going to be a good year for consumers.

vv Yeah, maybe $300 is a bit generous. I don't know how to think about this stuff in on-paper dollars - it's Euros here, so expect 500 euros and the organ of your choosing.

E: That said, the 960 launched at $199, didn't it?

E the second: Aaaaaah, that makes more sense. I never had or really looked into the 960, and wondered why it was so cheap.

Well, that tears it. Just pulled the trigger on a 1070 instead. That'll do me for the next five four years.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 29, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Moogle posted:

If we're doing predictions I'd say it'll slot just around or below Fury X, and cost $300
That would require it to not cost more than 15% less to make than the 1070. Maybe you're thinking of the 1060ti, but they'd rather undervolt and sell that kind of salvage chip to OEMs for laptops for 50% more.

Now Jen-Hsun Huang could probably pull a 980ti and gobble up margins on your theoretical 1060 to gain more mindshare, but the margins won't be as good as he'd want them to be, unlike the 980ti, where Nvidia still sold the chip for 75% more than it cost on launch.

^The 960 cost $200 on launch and was slower than a 760 at launch. Now it's just slower than a 770. :v:

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 29, 2016

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Annnnd 980tis are jumping up in price again. Saw an MSI one last night for $400, it's now $450. Knew I should have pulled the trigger before the 480 came out and crushed all those pie in the sky dreams that so many people had.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Rape Stink posted:

Annnnd 980tis are jumping up in price again. Saw an MSI one last night for $400, it's now $450. Knew I should have pulled the trigger before the 480 came out and crushed all those pie in the sky dreams that so many people had.
To be fair those are climbing mostly because 1070 prices are climbing and 980ti owners aren't going to sell their chip for any bit under the card they're planning to flip for.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone who bought into some of the ridiculous rumors surrounding the 480 is obviously going to be disappointed, but the card still looks to be great value for the many people out there on 750ti/660/760's etc looking to upgrade, and I'm sure there are a whole lot of those people.

E: r/AMD is hilarious right now

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jun 29, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bardeh posted:

Anyone who bought into some of the ridiculous rumors surrounding the 480 is obviously going to be disappointed, but the card still looks to be great value for the many people out there on 750ti/660/760's etc looking to upgrade, and I'm sure there are a whole lot of those people.
and unlike a used 970/390 you'd get warranty, which is often more important than it seems.

also r/amd is melting down as hard as Kyle Bennett does on a daily basis :allears:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I don't know what everyone's going on about. I was going to grab one of these to replace the 750 Ti in the stepbrothers' hand-me-down box, this is perfect.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

and unlike a used 970/390 you'd get warranty, which is often more important than it seems.

also r/amd is melting down as hard as Kyle Bennett does on a daily basis :allears:

GPUShack videocards come with a 2-year warranty! They currently have 6 MSI 970 OC cards in stock for $259 shipped. Can get it even cheaper if you trade in an old card too, for anyone who was looking to upgrade to a 480. http://gpushack.com/collections/all-gpus-for-sale/products/msi-gtx-970-oc-1

Lol, nevermind, that same card brand new is $265 on newegg, with a $10 rebate card actually making it cheaper.

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 29, 2016

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't know what everyone's going on about. I was going to grab one of these to replace the 750 Ti in the stepbrothers' hand-me-down box, this is perfect.

If you were reading r/AMD last week, people fully expected this card to be GTX 980 levels of performance at stock and with 1.5ghz OC's it would be competitive with a GTX 1070 thanks to wccftech rumor mill bullshit.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

wow, they really are. you know what? it's genuinely reassuring to know that kind of insanity isn't limited to the green team.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bardeh posted:

E: r/AMD is hilarious right now

AMD are doing an AMA later today, it's going to be a trainwreck :allears:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Beautiful Ninja posted:

If you were reading r/AMD last week, people fully expected this card to be GTX 980 levels of performance at stock and with 1.5ghz OC's it would be competitive with a GTX 1070 thanks to wccftech rumor mill bullshit.

And this is why I always tell people to take WCCFT to load up on the salt whenever you read their articles, because if you don't then, then you'll have to load up on it later when everything *doesn't* turn out the way they report.

...I admit it needs some work. "Take salt now, or be salty later," maybe?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

wicka posted:

wow, they really are. you know what? it's genuinely reassuring to know that kind of insanity isn't limited to the green team.
Actually that particular kind of insanity is limited to the red team, during the 400-600 series Nvidia forums posters were virulently in denial instead of frothing rage.

Red is the color of rage
Green is the color of denial
Blue is the color of :homebrew: "yes gently caress me with a spiked dildo, give me a 10% worse chip and charge me 10% more for it"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Actually that particular kind of insanity is limited to the red team, during the 400-600 series Nvidia forums posters were virulently in denial instead of frothing rage.

Red is the color of rage
Green is the color of denial
Blue is the color of :homebrew: "yes gently caress me with a spiked dildo, give me a 10% worse chip and charge me 10% more for it"

what color is "i just want to buy a video card i don't need because i am an adult child"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

wicka posted:

what color is "i just want to buy a video card i don't need because i am an adult child"
brown :nexus:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xfx-radeon-rx-480-core-edition-4096mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-239-xf.html

Well at least the UK prices are good, it's actually a few dollars cheaper than the US MSRP before VAT.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/xfx-radeon-rx-480-core-edition-4096mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-239-xf.html

Well at least the UK prices are good, it's actually a few dollars cheaper than the US MSRP.
that can go up to or beyond $25 as long as the european oligarch meltdown continues while the british oligarchs plan their escape to southeast asia and carry all their wealth with them

Smarf
Mar 21, 2004

Arsehole!!!!

repiv posted:

Well at least the UK prices are good, it's actually a few dollars cheaper than the US MSRP before VAT.

Any 8GB prices floating around yet?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Smarf posted:

Any 8GB prices floating around yet?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powercolor-radeon-rx-480-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-187-pc.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-379-sp.html

£219

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Whether or not its gonna be +/- 10% of the performance people were speculating, RX 480 is still the way to go for people like me upgrading from a generations-old 7850 and don't wanna spend a rent payment on a vidya gamesing card. 200 bucks is just about right and it will still be a huge bump even if it's not bleeding-edge.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

All of those 480 links are now showing as "sorry this product is not available any more".

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006
Got the 4GB 480 for £179.99 - really happy with that. It's less than half the price of a 1070 and will hopefully be a bit of a bump up from my 760.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

BurritoJustice posted:

Hey real benchmarks

Seems like the lesson of this review is to wait for aftermarket coolers. He said that trying to overclock it by ~2% sent the GPU temp to 90C.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gray Matter posted:

Whether or not its gonna be +/- 10% of the performance people were speculating, RX 480 is still the way to go for people like me upgrading from a generations-old 7850 and don't wanna spend a rent payment on a vidya gamesing card. 200 bucks is just about right and it will still be a huge bump even if it's not bleeding-edge.

Yup.

Anyway, is there some specific time of day these are supposed to go on sale?

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx
Thankfully I'm going on vacation soon, so tempted to buy something while on the hypetrain.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Entire nvidia budget spent on paying off YouTube reviewers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

Entire nvidia budget spent on paying off YouTube reviewers
People spend 1080 prices on 1070s, they've never needed to do that for a looooooooong time