Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Maybe instead of an electronic button that is prone to fail, they could have some kind of mechanical linkage to open the door instead?

I swear, back in my day we had to stick our feet through the floor and run while yelling "yabba dabba doo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Elsa posted:

Maybe instead of an electronic button that is prone to fail, they could have some kind of mechanical linkage to open the door instead?

I swear, back in my day we had to stick our feet through the floor and run while yelling "yabba dabba doo"

That's not super high tech car of the future territory though. I paid $150k for my super duper electric future car and doors are still opened with a series of levers and linkages?!

Alternatively they could at the very least engineer the door system to be foolproof, maybe running a battery of its own to open them in event of the car's main supply going tits up.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

88h88 posted:

That's not super high tech car of the future territory though. I paid $150k for my super duper electric future car and doors are still opened with a series of levers and linkages?!

Alternatively they could at the very least engineer the door system to be foolproof, maybe running a battery of its own to open them in event of the car's main supply going tits up.

$150k? How much for a battery that doesn't fail in the first place????

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

88h88 posted:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

88h88 posted:

How would you feel about a blow away feature. As used on modern Fighter Jets to blow away the canopy/door (think F-35).This is not a serious post.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Not aesthetic.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

How would you feel about a blow away feature. As used on modern Fighter Jets to blow away the canopy/door (think F-35).This is not a serious post.

Personally I'd loving love that and would probably crash in order to justify using it.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yeah, I'd ask everyone to just watch the first 40 seconds of the i8 video I posted and tell me that isn't the most poorly designed emergency backup door opener ever made.

Watching that makes me start to think an engine out service Ferrari is a better idea. Note: It is still a terrible idea.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Tank Boy Ken posted:

All in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6AnXi2N_do&t=408s

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tank Boy Ken posted:

The gullwing Mercedes SLS already has exploding bolts holding its doors on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn I can't wait to see those clowns on the TV again.

The new top gear is flat and lifeless without the ridiculous back and forth banter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Driving through the city this morning, the vehicle in front of me kept brake checking me. I wasn't tailgating or anything, he kept slowing down until the gap closed up a bit and then slamming on the brakes. I could see it was a ~130 year old man staring in the mirror instead of at the road. I backed way off and he started doing it to the guy that cut between us two, and eventually ran a red light, presumably while staring into the mirror.

Maybe he grabbed the wrong glasses on the way out the door, and everything looked much much closer.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

He's not wrong tho. And the car makers are proving his point more and more as time passes too.
The thing is, this particular point was proven by DeLorean more than 30 years ago, so there really isn't much of an excuse to still be making these decisions.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yeah, I'd ask everyone to just watch the first 40 seconds of the i8 video I posted and tell me that isn't the most poorly designed emergency backup door opener ever made.

Chrysler and BMW will pair up for future autonomous cars that randomly lock people in and cook them alive, or just run them over as soon as a door opens

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Chrysler and BMW will pair up for future autonomous cars that randomly lock people in and cook them alive, or just run them over as soon as a door opens

I prefer my steak seared, so I'll stick with Italian products.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

InitialDave posted:

The thing is, this particular point was proven by DeLorean more than 30 years ago, so there really isn't much of an excuse to still be making these decisions.

If you something something history you are doomed to repeat it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

davebo posted:

Experience teaches us that that quote gives false hope.

Those who do remember history just get to enjoy Cassandra syndrome as everyone around them fucks things up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

davebo posted:

Repeat history unto others before they repeat history unto you.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Mustangs will come equipped with a grass detection system that will automatically engage the throttle, but only if pedestrians are also detected.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Protocol7 posted:

Mustangs will come equipped with a grass detection system that will automatically engage the throttle, but only if pedestrians are also detected.

quite recently I had a brand-new (rental) Ford Transit Connect lock me out. Van was in park, engine off, windows up, keys left in the ignition.

Several non-sweary (!) phone calls later the rental company got hold of the closest Ford dealership (~75 miles away) who sent a Tech with a magic remote to open it up.

The Tech pointed out that this particular vehicle probably went directly from the dealer to the rental fleet and hadn't gone through the usual dealer prep.

First clue : the plastic covers that the factory installs over the brake discs were still in place.

Part of the prep process involves programming the onboard computer to recognize its both the remotes as well as the matching RFID chips in the keys.

The default behavior : wait 2 minutes after engine off and shutting all the doors. Poll RFID radio for stored key(s). If no response lock all doors, arm alarm.

(...see the failure?)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

xzzy posted:

I prefer my steak seared, so I'll stick with Italian products.

I imagine someone being cooked alive would look more like a boiled chicken and smell like old pork

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I imagine someone being cooked alive would look more like a boiled chicken and smell like old pork

Whether or not the meat screams while it's being cooked has no bearing on the final result. Unless you count the fact that screaming meat usually hasn't been gutted and bled, which can have an undesirable effect on flavor.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-uljSWA6Po

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Yesterday someone drove over a left turn separator and into my lane of traffic to park it on a green. She gave me about 20 feet to stop and I was pulling a 10k lb trailer. Guess how that went.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yerok posted:

Yesterday someone drove over a left turn separator and into my lane of traffic to park it on a green. She gave me about 20 feet to stop and I was pulling a 10k lb trailer. Guess how that went.

Do you have pictures and video of the wreck?

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Yerok posted:

:stare: Uh, you need to tell us the rest of the story.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Well, thankfully I was only doing about 30 up a steep grade on a country highway. I grabbed the oh poo poo lever on my trailer brake controller and put my brake pedal on the floor. Slammed into the steering wheel but managed to shave off enough speed to only really mangle my front bumper and dent her trunk. If my trailer and truck brakes weren't both new I think her kids would be dead.

This is what I hit her with:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

Whether or not the meat screams while it's being cooked has no bearing on the final result. Unless you count the fact that screaming meat usually hasn't been gutted and bled, which can have an undesirable effect on flavor.

Build a suction trap door in each seat for automatic rectal disemboweling, have herbs and spices blow through the ventilation system. The Chrysler Grand Rotisserie can hold up to 8 victi- I mean, adults and/or children and air conditioning isn't even an option

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is why we shouldn't call it an emergency brake:

http://i.imgur.com/J8DtF4X.gifv

(apparently the driver's GF didn't want him to race the bikes so she cranked the parking brake)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

xzzy posted:

(apparently the driver's GF didn't want him to race the bikes so she cranked the parking brake)

Ex-GF, I think.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

xzzy posted:

I liked Hardcore Henry but why are we posting gifs from the movie here?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

xzzy posted:

This is the best ever.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
So turns out the guy who died in the autopiloted Tesla was watching a Harry Potter DVD at the time.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
At least he died doing what he loved.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Rumors are flying, some witnesses say he was watching it, some say they heard it, some say they didn't. I think we should probably hold off on judgement until it's determined what actually happened.

Also, some oblivious knob in a black Envoy with tint all around was blocking the left lane for several miles this morning on my way into work, then flew into a rage and tailgated me at 20 over the speed they'd been going when I dared to wake them up from Facebook with a beep as I passed on the right. They proceeded to make some extremely dangerous moves to follow/catch up with me including running someone in a white Jeep WK or WK2 off the road into the breakdown lane because the gap I merged into was safely big enough for me, but not for them too. gently caress, what a useless hemorrhoid on the rear end of society.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

Must have been one hell of a parking brake to actually lock the rear wheels at high speed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's not normal?

Admittedly I've only ever cranked the hand brake at speed while on snow so I have a pretty limited scope of experience, but I was under the impression even with drums their stopping power is always greater than available tire adhesion. When Prius cars were unintentionally accelerating several years ago the word going around is that modern brakes are capable of overpowering engine output.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

That's not normal?

Admittedly I've only ever cranked the hand brake at speed while on snow so I have a pretty limited scope of experience, but I was under the impression even with drums their stopping power is always greater than available tire adhesion. When Prius cars were unintentionally accelerating several years ago the word going around is that modern brakes are capable of overpowering engine output.

If it was a hydraulic handbrake maybe, or if the girlfriend was super built...I just can't image being able to pull hard enough on the handle to bring the rear wheels to a dead stop (as they appear to do in that video) from a high-speed roll.

Regarding the Toyota accelerator issue...I seem to recall a case where a driver rode the brakes long enough that they overheated and stopped having any effect until the car crashed into rush hour traffic.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I can do that on my car. Plain ol cable brake. :shrug:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You have to be very quick/vicious with it. If you just pull it on, it probably won't do much, but if you rip it up, yeah, it'll lock the rear wheels on a lot of cars.

Also, if he instantly panicked and hit the brakes himself, it'll almost certainly see the rear lock up if the handbrake's on, even if it can't quite manage to lock them alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
That looks like a current-model Jetta or Passat, so it might be an electronic parking brake. That takes operator strength out of the equation, but I'd be surprised to find it would allow itself to be engaged at highway speed. Or just lovely tires maybe? I could yank the brake on my Soul and lock up at 25-30 MPH where I can't do the same in my Fiesta, which I attribute to the tires. Obviously I'm not going to see what happens at highway speed unless someone can find me a really big parking lot where whatever happens I'll come to a stop before finding something solid.

Geoj posted:

Regarding the Toyota accelerator issue...I seem to recall a case where a driver rode the brakes long enough that they overheated and stopped having any effect until the car crashed into rush hour traffic.
IIRC the problem in that case was that they kept releasing the brake. Rather than holding it to get to a stop they were apparently doing only enough to not hit traffic.

One single stop from any speed is not going to cause a remotely functional braking system to overheat in a normal passenger car, but that driver basically simulated the reason runaway truck ramps exist.

InitialDave posted:

Also, if he instantly panicked and hit the brakes himself, it'll almost certainly see the rear lock up if the handbrake's on, even if it can't quite manage to lock them alone.

I'm sure he did hit the brakes, the many hours of handbrake-drifting FWD cars around snowy parking lots I've done tells me they'll happily drag the rear end end in pretty much a straight line unless other inputs are provided to destabilize the car.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 5, 2016