Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Check out the Monster In My Podcast episode on Brain Moles to see a man's live reaction to discovering star-nosed moles exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

They produce a lot of good content. It's a shame Gary has the mysterious curse that makes him always wrong; I assume he ran afoul of the same witch as Brad Shoemaker.

I'm quite often cool and right, thank you. I am a good opinion haver and a handsome boy. Unlike... I don't know who that is.

HolePisser1982 posted:

I have to say, you and Kole are doing a ridiculously good job. The entire Bloodborne season was fantastic, DS3 season is great so far with really good critiques. Abject Suffering, WOFF, Monster in my Podcast, Teenage Dirtbags, and The Pitch are all hilarious. It's crazy

Thanks! We do our best.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Zombies' Downfall posted:

They produce a lot of good content. It's a shame Gary has the mysterious curse that makes him always wrong; I assume he ran afoul of the same witch as Brad Shoemaker.

I'm waiting until we're deeper into the Which Pokemon is Biggest bracket before I make any big judgment calls about Gary's rightness v. wrongness

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Woffle posted:

I don't know who that is.

One of the Giant Bomb guys, the one who hosts the podcast now.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

One of the Giant Bomb guys, the one who hosts the podcast now.

I looked it up. I was just jokin'. I'm sure me and Brad are both quite good and strong.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Duckfeed is a national treasure even if Gary's highly illegal opinions should get him tried for crimes against gaming.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I kind of want to make a joke about The Bad Hashtag but frankly gently caress them, my jokes are too good for them.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Listening to Abject Suffering right now and wanted to note that I'm pretty sure the Buck Bumble theme is either grime or garage in terms of genre. But either way, yep, it's a suuuper British genre.

Pangaea Ultima
Sep 7, 2005

Fun Shoe
Duckfeed produces some of my favorite audio content. I've been finishing up my dissertation this summer which involved an obscene number of hours of mindless greenhouse and bench work and I think I would have lost my mind if I didn't have all of the duckfeed podcasts to keep me company.

I want that x-men podcast to happen SO BAD.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I re-launched Hex Crank. It has a video component now. The new article is about Alone in the Dark.

http://hexcrank.com

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
According to twitter, this current bonfireside chat season is taking heat from people who aren't interested in hearing criticism of DS3. I've been enjoying it, but I'm just glad I'm not alone in thinking DS2 isn't anywhere close to as bad as people act, and that DS3 has plenty of legitimate problems worth discussing in a podcast devoted to the game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

bringing up ds2 makes that twitter heat sound weirder, people's reactions to ds2 sure made it seem like the dark souls fandom had no problem with people critiquing flaws in those games

(i haven't played ds3/listened to that season of bfsc yet though so i might be missing important details)

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Not hating DS2 is enough to piss off certain sections of the Souls fan base.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
For as much as people love 3 because of how much service it pays to Dark Souls 1, it's amazing how people can't acknowledge that Dark Souls 1 still delivers better on nearly every front beside ease of use.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cast Iron Brick posted:

For as much as people love 3 because of how much service it pays to Dark Souls 1, it's amazing how people can't acknowledge that Dark Souls 1 still delivers better on nearly every front beside ease of use.

I'd disagree. Dark Souls 3 has far fewer areas that just seem like tedious mistakes, and the combat is far more polished.

For the record I'm totally with the "Jesus christ don't get angry with the two Souls superfans that run Bonfireside Chats just because they're willing to say what they don't like" side on this, but having to "acknowledge" that X is better than Y is a pretty smug way to put it. As if they're lying to themselves about liking Dark Souls 3 a whole lot.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
I wasn't saying BFC doesn't acknowledge this, I think they do explicitly. That was more in response to the weird debate that's popped up around 2 vs. 3 supporters.

Cast Iron Brick fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 24, 2016

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

This is why "fandoms" are poison.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Cast Iron Brick posted:

I wasn't saying BFC doesn't acknowledge this, I think they do explicitly. That was more in response to the weird debate that's popped up around 2 vs. 3 supporters.

They are not as different as their paramours suggest, let them fight amongst themselves as Bloodborne remains unchallenged. :twisted:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't know how many people here have been listening to The Pitch: Uploaded but this lastest episode is amazing. I lost it at Gary going on a mouth sound emotional rollercoaster while Brayton explained the concept of a credit card.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Cast Iron Brick posted:

I think that was my main problem with Dark Souls 3. It felt like 'the greatest hits of Dark Souls 1', instead of it's own thing. For all the issues Souls 2 has, I give it credit for being different from the original game.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

CowboyAndy posted:

I think that was my main problem with Dark Souls 3. It felt like 'the greatest hits of Dark Souls 1', instead of it's own thing. For all the issues Souls 2 has, I give it credit for being different from the original game.

I think this how most people received it? Miyazaki stated that's how it would be months before release (at least) that's what it was since it's the last in the D Souls series.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Aw, I finally caught up on Idle Thumbs and Jake's teased the Hat Baron finale(which is suitably ridiculous) for two weeks, then forgot it entirely on the third one, and now he's gonna be out of town for the next episode or two I think! Blueballin' the audience, man!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Super weird anecdote time from this week's VGHD!

Hearing Zack be like "man it's weird seeing a Redhat building in SF" is weird for me because Redhat moved its HQ from NCSU's Centennial Campus (where they quarantined all of the engineering students) to the middle of downtown Raleigh. So now the Raleigh skyline has a giant, red fedora hanging on the top of it.

What I'm saying is that Linux turned the entire city of Raleigh into a Nice Guy.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Aw, I finally caught up on Idle Thumbs and Jake's teased the Hat Baron finale(which is suitably ridiculous) for two weeks, then forgot it entirely on the third one, and now he's gonna be out of town for the next episode or two I think! Blueballin' the audience, man!

Sorry about that. It's in this week's show!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ja2ke posted:

Sorry about that. It's in this week's show!
I'm just joshin' ya since I know you read the thread. I was excited to hear reactions from chris and co about it since it's just a suitably crazy cap to the whole saga. :)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I finally got around to beating the main campaign in Fallout New Vegas so I could listen to the WoFFs on it. God drat that skib for the main quest episode, bravo guys.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm just joshin' ya since I know you read the thread. I was excited to hear reactions from chris and co about it since it's just a suitably crazy cap to the whole saga. :)

You keep saying "saga" in this thread and the Barkely Gaiden guy was just on 8-4 Play, so I have no option to think about The Magical Realms of Steam: Escape From Dota2 - Revenge of CSGO: The Official Audiobook of the Forum Posts - Chapter 2 of Valve Economy SaGa.

We all know that the first one was Captian Invictius, Shut Up and Buy Hats: Gaiden

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Looks like Dyack is after me again. I'm tempted to have him Skype into the show just so I can play fart noises every time he tries to talk.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

bobservo posted:

Looks like Dyack is after me again. I'm tempted to have him Skype into the show just so I can play fart noises every time he tries to talk.

I'm immediately reminded of Antista's Twitter response to him last time: "This is what you're doing now? Ugh."

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Was anyone else bummed that E3 didn't include a Dark Souls HD remaster? Because I was very bummed.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm only like halfway(?) through dark souls 1 so I'm way behind on Bonfireside Chat but have they done a spoof on "talkin' baseball" like the one from that Simpsons episode. Because that should exist.

Edit: ^^^^Dark Souls is still gorgeous though?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm only like halfway(?) through dark souls 1 so I'm way behind on Bonfireside Chat but have they done a spoof on "talkin' baseball" like the one from that Simpsons episode. Because that should exist.

Edit: ^^^^Dark Souls is still gorgeous though?

Didn't stop them from releasing an HD version of DS2, which looked and ran much better on current gen!

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 30, 2016

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm immediately reminded of Antista's Twitter response to him last time: "This is what you're doing now? Ugh."

Well he ain't making video games...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh man those reactions were everything I could have hoped for. :allears:

I wish I could go into more depth about what he's done but any more and it'd be too easy to actually find out who he is, and I'd rather not do that to him. Also, while he did fence for account hijackers, his justification was that nobody lost anything (since valve replaced any stolen items), and the person he ganked 10k from was doing some shadier poo poo on the side. But yeah, the whole story is a hell of a ride, glad I was able to get back in touch with him and finish the tale.

And I've got to dig out my dota shirt boxes but that care package will be heading to idle thumbs relatively soon, probably somewhere in the next few weeks.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

bobservo posted:

https://vine.co/v/h5aDaFthX6O

Jimby Nougats
May 6, 2009

I'd recommend Retro Game Audio, which started up in January of this year. https://soundcloud.com/retrogameaudio

It's entirely focused on old-er game soundtracks, sound chips and systems, so far mostly NES, Famicom, Game Boy with a handful of 16bit examinations and samples. Mic quality can be a little poor, and some tangents go on for a while, but if you want to hear about the history and design of sound chips, lots of great music and examples and excerpts from actual game music composers from the 80s and 90s I've found it very interesting . The one guy Pat on it is also known as "illusory wall", a Dark Souls sort of investigator and researcher if you've heard of him. The other guy is ap0c, a chiptune musician.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

MLIOOBE posted:

I'd recommend Retro Game Audio, which started up in January of this year. https://soundcloud.com/retrogameaudio

It's entirely focused on old-er game soundtracks, sound chips and systems, so far mostly NES, Famicom, Game Boy with a handful of 16bit examinations and samples. Mic quality can be a little poor, and some tangents go on for a while, but if you want to hear about the history and design of sound chips, lots of great music and examples and excerpts from actual game music composers from the 80s and 90s I've found it very interesting . The one guy Pat on it is also known as "illusory wall", a Dark Souls sort of investigator and researcher if you've heard of him. The other guy is ap0c, a chiptune musician.

If you're looking for a starting episode, try the one I was on about the Maniac Mansion soundtrack (my favorite NES OST). https://soundcloud.com/retrogameaudio/maniac-mansion

Pat's a wonderful guy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Woffle posted:

If you're looking for a starting episode, try the one I was on about the Maniac Mansion soundtrack (my favorite NES OST). https://soundcloud.com/retrogameaudio/maniac-mansion

Pat's a wonderful guy.

Thanks for linking this. I was driving home from the grocery store when the Maniac Mansion theme was spliced in on this week's WOFF and I was blown away at how catchy and good it is.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Gary and Kole I'm taking serious umbrage to your claim that kobolds being dragon-related is bad. It gives a big plot hook for early stuff, doesn't actually interfere with level 1 play and gives you a way to justify using them lategame. The dragon hook makes them way better than other goblin-knockoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

The only time kobolds were ever good is Suikoden and that's because they were cute dogs who were your friends