Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
smash has like a 10 minute round timer loool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Brosnan posted:

At the last Evo I went to the crowd picked who to cheer for in Melee based on which one would cause the game to be over sooner, which turned out to be way more emotionally involving than any other reason to support a player would be.

I am so, so glad I sprung for the floor seats this year because it means I can leave during lovely games and not have to worry about losing my spot.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I never got the appeal of competitive Smash Bros. It takes everything fun away from the base game. It's so boring to watch and play.

MinibarMatchman posted:

same, the melee matches last year were gently caress awful and I find competitive melee bad in general. do we really need two loving smash bros games?

The reason is that Smash Bros. is part of the "brawler" or "platform fighter" sub-genre of fighting games. When it comes to that subgenre players have the following choices. Smash 64, Smash Melee, Smash Brawl, Smash 4, Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, Brawlhalla, and Rivals of Aether. Those are more or less all of the games in the genre ever released that had some sort of serious effort behind them, so it is very slimpickings. The entire subgenre is about the size of all the competitive traditional 2D fighters currently being played. On top of that, many of the games I listed were either poorly received (PSABR) or are too niche to get off the ground (RoA). As a result, most people who enjoy the sub-genre just play Smash. Though Brawlhalla seems to be making in way.

Dias posted:

https://twitter.com/EvilMrWizard/status/748775258828578817

Evo numbers. Pretty good all around, SFV pulling ahead by a fuckton being The New Capcom Game and all.

It saddens me that Xrd's numbers are lower than EVO 2015.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 1, 2016

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

im really sad KOF won't be out in time for this, too bad it didn't have an early arcade release

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)
I feel like watching Smash would be more interesting if I had any idea what was going on? Like I'm sure there's some strategy in the game, and the players are making reads and reacting to things, and I've heard it even sort of has setplay in a way, but any time I watch Smash it looks like the characters are just doing things.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
smash would be more fun to watch with items on

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

may contain peanuts posted:

I feel like watching Smash would be more interesting if I had any idea what was going on? Like I'm sure there's some strategy in the game, and the players are making reads and reacting to things, and I've heard it even sort of has setplay in a way, but any time I watch Smash it looks like the characters are just doing things.

It's not designed in any capacity to be a competitive game so it's just boring

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Kuvo posted:

smash would be more fun to watch with items on

Didn't they do that in Evo 2008 and some random kid who never played tournaments made it all the way to finals?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Mr E posted:

I'm way more angry than I should be that these people exist.

This guy's avatar is good. He's alright.

Garnavis posted:

Has anyone, as a beginner, actually found those "controlling space" breakdown videos useful? I'm starting to think they only make sense to players who are already experienced. They always give the example of Ryu controlling a horizontal band with fireballs and a the air in front of him with DPs. But I rarely feel like I actually control any of that space, since opponents can just block or jump over or counter-fireball my fireballs, and I don't really control the space in front of me because I can't get a fireball off safely if they're right there. The point being, it doesn't feel like any space is being "controlled" and the stuff I end up thinking about in a match is poke ranges and mix ups and stuff like that. So am I just playing FGs wrong or is the whole "controlling space" idea just a nice abstraction that's not helpful for beginners?

I know this is a few days old but I wanted to say --

One thing about looking at these sorts of materials when you'relearning something new like Fighting games is that you're going to want to periodically return to and review them. Sure, the first time you watch them when you are brand new, you might not get much out of them - you don't actually know enough or even have a good enough sense of the game even know *what* you are missing.

But then you put in a few more hours, preferably a few chunks a day, across several days (or more) at a time, giving your brain a bit of time to learn from your experience.

Then you occasionally go look at things like this and you can even just see how much you've learned by way of how much more you can actually pick out of a video like that. Especially in less accessible/old school games, I've countless time watched a character tutorial, thought I picked up a bunch, but it was only a month later when I re-watched it that I noticed all kinds of details I missed the first time through.

Fayk fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 1, 2016

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Jmcrofts posted:

Turns out smash players don't like other games either (this is from CEO Revelator t8)

FWIW that was Melee players, who are notably even more lovely than typical given Smash 4 players. Now, maybe the Smash 4 players could end up just as bad given they are cut from the same cloth, but so far I haven't really seen or met any cases like that and it's just Melee players who boo other games before their finals and etc. They both are still stupidly entitled communities tho.

brian posted:

smash is a fine game with some nice people in the scene but i would prefer if they didn't get added to big FGC events as there isn't enough time for FGs already at the ones I go to, at locals I think mixing everything is good for everyone though, just bigger events suffer when smash (and tekken in the uk apparently) are involved because they seem to consistently get aggravated about stream time while repeatedly lying about how long their section will take and over filling it with games then not caring about anyone else because the crossover is so small.

A lot of other games have gone over time over many events, and a there are plenty of other games that have taken just as long as Melee. What I would argue for is to get them to stop running their Double's tournaments. Those things are glacial and somehow even more boring.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Melee goes over its time slot in literally every tournament I've watched in the last few years

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Madmarker posted:

I guess I am just weird. I love melee and fighting games just about equally.

i like smash with items

Ventana posted:

FWIW that was Melee players, who are notably even more lovely than typical given Smash 4 players. Now, maybe the Smash 4 players could end up just as bad given they are cut from the same cloth, but so far I haven't really seen or met any cases like that and it's just Melee players who boo other games before their finals and etc. They both are still stupidly entitled communities tho.

A lot of other games have gone over time over many events, and a there are plenty of other games that have taken just as long as Melee. What I would argue for is to get them to stop running their Double's tournaments. Those things are glacial and somehow even more boring.

it ALWAYS runs over time because their format is a loving insane timehog that only works for smash only tournaments.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Didn't they do that in Evo 2008 and some random kid who never played tournaments made it all the way to finals?

IDK if it was evo but said kid got harassed into giving up his trophy and they stole some setups to run their own finals, interrupting Street Fighter. Got melee banned from a lot of tournaments for a long time.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 1, 2016

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Pomp posted:

it ALWAYS runs over time because their format is a loving insane timehog that only works for smash only tournaments.

Are you talking about the Round Robin pools? Yeah those should go away too

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Smash didn't need to be a part of the FGC but it is now probably because $$$$$$

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No I'm talking about 4 stock on an 8 minute timer. 1 match can take as longer than an entire set for other games.

There were a bunch asking for top 8 to be all bo5 at evo :lmao:

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Pomp posted:

No I'm talking about 4 stock on an 8 minute timer. 1 match can take as longer than an entire set for other games.

Oh, well yeah I can agree that it should be 3 stock 3 (or 4) min timer as well, though most matches don't really go past 4 minutes per single game anyways.

If that match is a particularly long match (usually not the case) and the set for other games in question was really short (mostly isn't the case for EVO, though for other Majors yeah it's a thing), that could happen, but by in large.....no?

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Does Powerstone count as a platform brawler? They should play that instead.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Celebrity Ghost posted:

arena

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ixiggle posted:

Smash didn't need to be a part of the FGC but it is now probably because $$$$$$

Smash is like the opposite of $$$ (which is grassroots I guess?). Nintendo didn't acknowledge it existed for years.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
And here I thought CvS2 was bad for taking god drat forever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's $$$ for TOs because you put smash on the roster and the crowd will arrive

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

may contain peanuts posted:

I try not to post about it in this thread but this seems like an earnest attempt to understand a game that's quickly becoming A Thing at major tournaments so forgive me for the smash post in the FG thread, but it's with the best intentions.

The most recent one plays competitively with a 2-stock meta, which plays out similar to a best 2/3 set in a traditional FG except like KI health doesn't reset between rounds. The objective is to damage the other player until they're in a vulnerable state and then kill them- health is replaced with a damage percent, and the higher your percent the farther damage done to you will send you. The controls play like an inversion of a traditional fightstick, where the action buttons are relatively simple but the movement stick is very complex, registering different results at 16 points around the gate with analog movement scaling between neutral and the gate, which is really where the heart of everything in the game's meta stems from. There's also low and high jump inputs and everyone has at least one airjump.

Stage ledges work like an inversion of the corner in a traditional FG, where invisible walls are replaced with empty space and if you're pushed into one you're in a very dangerous position the opponent can exploit to rack up a lot of damage or pressure you to death. Different characters have different ways to close "sets" and secure kills, which most often involves a read or a setup or a hit confirm into a kill move or an Instant Kill-style play offstage. I don't know too much about melee but Smash 4 has a big emphasis on stage control, footsies, spacing and confirming into combos and kills, and it's probably the most traditional FG variation of the Smash formula to date.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Celebrity Ghost posted:

I was literally about to post that they should replace Melee with Power Stone. At least we're getting two Power Stone clones in the next year or so (LAST FIGHT and Combat Core).

Smash 4 is pretty cool and I don't have a problem with it being at Evo, the problem is that from what I've seen Melee players are on the whole pretty lovely (no idea if the Evo Melee players are like that) and we don't need two Smash games when they could give the slot to something more interesting instead, basically.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 1, 2016

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

inthesto posted:

And here I thought CvS2 was bad for taking god drat forever

As long as they avoid esoteric stuff like 4/7 grand finals, it should be fine.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
replace melee with Rivals of Aether

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I think it would be cool if they dropped Melee to being a large side tourney and had one main stage slot every year reserved for a classic game. Like help people who are relatively new to the FGC discover how cool Vsav or Alpha or MvC2 or w/e are by featuring one as a main stage game to get people back into it for a bit.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Reiley posted:

The most recent one plays competitively with a 2-stock meta, which plays out similar to a best 2/3 set in a traditional FG except like KI health doesn't reset between rounds.

Reiley posted:

registering different results at 16 points around the gate with analog movement scaling between neutral and the gate, which is really where the heart of everything in the game's meta stems from.

Why are you using "meta" in what seems to be two different contexts? What does "meta" even mean? Could you use words that actually mean something?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
it still blows my mind that no one's tried to make melee but without stupid hard inputs for all the cool poo poo on a budget of more than six dollars and half a leftover burrito. updating melee with modern sensibilities and not saurakizing it would probably do well-ish so long as it had netcode.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Brosnan posted:

I think it would be cool if they dropped Melee to being a large side tourney and had one main stage slot every year reserved for a classic game. Like help people who are relatively new to the FGC discover how cool Vsav or Alpha or MvC2 or w/e are by featuring one as a main stage game to get people back into it for a bit.

so just make marvel 2 a mainstage game every year you mean, i agree.

especially if it replaced another dead game. hmm. like, marvel 3?

yes.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Brosnan posted:

what how are you gonna make any money off that you idiot

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

anime was right posted:

especially if it replaced another dead game. hmm. like, marvel 3?

yes.

but
marvel 3 has more entrants than mkx ki and tekken

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

anime was right posted:

That was the subtext but I thought I hid it pretty well

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

anime was right posted:

it still blows my mind that no one's tried to make melee but without stupid hard inputs for all the cool poo poo on a budget of more than six dollars and half a leftover burrito. updating melee with modern sensibilities and not saurakizing it would probably do well-ish so long as it had netcode.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/383980/

e: if you actually care I made an indepth thread for that game a while back, and they recently added an insanely good tutorial for teaching smash tech and the netplay is great

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743552

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
For a game to be in majors it must have

a. high entrants/viewer counts
b. publisher money hat
or
c. both

I'd love to see old games at Evo again but it just aint happening unless we have some kind of FGC apocalypse scenario where all the new games/players die off.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

does this evo even have side tournaments anymore
or BYOC area

did they stop doing that already idk

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yes there is BYOC why wouldn't there be?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Jmcrofts posted:

For a game to be in majors it must have

a. high entrants/viewer counts
b. publisher money hat
or
c. both

I'd love to see old games at Evo again but it just aint happening unless we have some kind of FGC apocalypse scenario where all the new games/players die off.

Agree, sadly, but it'll never happen.

I dunno if other oldgames fans would agree, but I'd even settle for poo poo like just get some official sanctionining/space for 'big enough' side tourneys (ST, vsav, etc) because the BYOC is a bit limited/inconsistent (disclosure: haven't been to evo in a year or two) and then some minimal late-night stream of the top 8/4 or something.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fayk posted:

I dunno if other oldgames fans would agree, but I'd even settle for poo poo like just get some official sanctionining/space for 'big enough' side tourneys (ST, vsav, etc) because the BYOC is a bit limited/inconsistent (disclosure: haven't been to evo in a year or two) and then some minimal late-night stream of the top 8/4 or something.

Didn't this happen with ST 2 years ago? When Mao won the tournament?

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

kind of interesting:

https://twitter.com/CurlingW/status/748896353393078273

Seems weird that Xrd has less entrants.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Lynx Winters posted:

Why are you using "meta" in what seems to be two different contexts? What does "meta" even mean? Could you use words that actually mean something?

The game can and often enough is played with three stocks as well, and the other popular Smash game plays with four stocks, which changes the flow of the game a little bit since closing one stock doesn't reset both players to neutral with full health to start again, everything done to you carries over after you land a kill, like if SF played best of 5 matches would that change when and how a player uses meter?

In the second case, the analog movement plays a big role in the options you choose to match different situations, since the same one aerial attack can have a half-dozen different uses depending on what angle and how much momentum you apply to it, and a lot of the tech you learn above and outside of the game is based around the way the stick works The whole game is built around complex movement, I tried to make a cutesy comparison to the game's three action buttons and 16-point analog stick to a traditional FG's six action buttons and eight-point digital stick, to help convey what is happening on the screen and what the players are trying to do.