Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It was nice to have one Leafs offseason where they weren't obsessed with truculence and pugnacity. Why couldn't they have spent money on Demers or someone with actual useful talents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Ilitch wanted Holland to take a promotion so Yzerman could be the GM and Holland said no

And Ilitch didn't pull the loving trigger anyway

And now Steve Mother loving Ott is a Red Wing.

gently caress this franchise and every enabler in it

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

This seems like a good deal, though wtf he'll be on the third line? sure?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Neodoomium posted:

Ilitch wanted Holland to take a promotion so Yzerman could be the GM and Holland said no

And Ilitch didn't pull the loving trigger anyway

And now Steve Mother loving Ott is a Red Wing.

gently caress this franchise and every enabler in it

Ilitch should've just fired Holland.

Ilitch should fire Holland now.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

https://twitter.com/cotsonika/status/748973648422244357

gently caress you, Ken. gently caress you to loving death.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Vanek-Zetterberg-Abdelkader
Tatar-Larkin-Nyquist
Sheahan-Nielsen-Athanasiou
Miller-Glendening-Helm

Kronwall-Ericsson
DeKeyser-Marchenko
Smith-Green

Howard still here, Ouellet/Mantha/Pulkkinen buried in GR again

:rip:

With guys like Weiss, Richards, and now Vanek, is Detroit like a bucket list item for veteran players? "Well, I have to wear the Winged Wheel before I hang 'em up or it wasn't a career" and Holland's like "Sure, OK, have a contract!"?

e- And now Ott. I posted that catching up with the thread and hadn't seen Ott when I did. :lol:

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Neodoomium posted:

right you are, ken

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Ott's a twenty goal scorer and ex-captain guys, obviously he takes precedent over some young fucker with a name no one can pronounce.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Levitate posted:

Rangers signed someone named Michael Paliotta

He was part of the "and change" the CBJ got in the "Brandon Saad and change to Columbus" deal.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Neodoomium posted:

Who realistically would this management team let them beat out? Larkin? Tatar?

http://detroitsportsrag.net/the-nightmare-of-july-1st-continues-in-detroit/

quote:

Yep, Ilitch desperately wanted to keep Yzerman in the fold and approached Holland and told Ken that he should accept a “promotion” upstairs and name Yzerman the GM. Make no mistake about it, Mike Ilitch didn’t want the golden child to flee to Florida.

But Holland told Ilitch that move wouldn’t be fair to Jim Nill and he refused to do it. But that was a bunch of bullshit. Holland just didn’t want to give up final say over player personnel decisions so now we don’t have Nill or Yzerman and we are stuck with one of the five worst GM’s in the entire league.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

AsInHowe posted:

Who realistically would this management team let them beat out? Larkin? Tatar?

http://detroitsportsrag.net/the-nightmare-of-july-1st-continues-in-detroit/

that banner image. Everything about it makes me embarrassed.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Maybe I'm the retard here, but I don't see much of a point in freaking out over an 800k 1 year signing.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Even if we ignore that Ott is a shithead waste of space, it's the fact that he's an unnecessary addition to the team and is assumed to be a default starter while a guy like AA, who was one of the team's most exciting and productive players down the stretch, has to "earn" a spot.

(the Nielsen term is probably still worse though)

.Spec posted:

that banner image. Everything about it makes me embarrassed.

Needs more fedoras with notecards that say "Press."

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

The point here is Steve Ott is a loving scumbag, and not even a productive one, and Detroit didn't need him.

Abdelkader is a scumbag who occasionally produces something on offense while cheapshotting people, and we hate him too. What did you think we were going to say about that loving dirtbag?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Neodoomium posted:

The point here is Steve Ott is a loving scumbag, and not even a productive one, and Detroit didn't need him.

Abdelkader is a scumbag who occasionally produces something on offense while cheapshotting people, and we hate him too. What did you think we were going to say about that loving dirtbag?

That it's a stupid unnecessary signing, but not act like the sky is falling and arena's gonna burn to the ground?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

VJeff posted:

That it's a stupid unnecessary signing, but not act like the sky is falling and arena's gonna burn to the ground?

"Anthony and Andreas had good preseasons, but we need Steve Ott's leadership in our dressing room."

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

boedker is massively overrated but 4x4 for him is one of the best signings of the day. that purcell signing is really good too

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

VJeff posted:

Mark my words: if Ott plays for Detroit this season, they'll never play at the Joe again.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
The AAV on the Weise deal is OK, he's an OK bottom six dude. The thing I don't get is the four year term, but it's nothing major.

fits posted:

right you are, ken

Indeed.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

the talent deficit posted:

boedker is massively overrated but 4x4 for him is one of the best signings of the day. that purcell signing is really good too

Yeah the Purcell deal seems really good. Gives them some breathing room if Pearson can't step up his game.

^^^ might as well lock your fourth line grinders in now instead of having to pay the slightly higher market price in two years, is my thought. Weiss seems like maybe he could have got more AAV on less term.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Mr. Kite posted:

That's pretty good. But makes me think he's not meant to be Kopitar's winger. May be a Pearson replacement/challenger on the 2nd line.

Yeah, ideally Purcell is a middle 6 forward like Pearson. But there's no space for one of the crazy signings teams were making today and the best offensive prospect right now is Mersch.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

VJeff posted:

Don't worry, it's really hard to make Little Caesars pizza taste worst that it already does.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I'm mad that Bergevin/Chiarelli/Benning exist because it's making it really hard for me to feel justified on how loving much I hate and how terrible Ken Holland is

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'm just waiting for Holland to ask Chelios or Jiri Fischer to come out of retirement and take the league minimum to "help out the defense".

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I see Colorado signed a bunch of randos outside of Tyutin and Wiercoch. They didn't sign anyone long term and we haven't traded away anyone yet. I'm feeling ok so far :unsmith:

Of course come tomorrow Barrie will be gone and I will be sad :smith:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Also, keep in mind that the Wings only have 5 D under contract and eventually 6 when they re-sign DeKeyser, so they need to go out and get a 7th D still unless they plan to just sit Ouellet in the press box all season which is so moronic that I'm pretty much convinced that's exactly what's going to happen

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jesus Christ, I knew I couldn't go to the gym without the Wings doing something astronomically stupid. Why the gently caress are you signing 400 forwards, Holland????

UGH
UGH
UGH

WE NEED DEFENSE YOU LEATHERY gently caress

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 1, 2016

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Also, keep in mind that the Wings only have 5 D under contract and eventually 6 when they re-sign DeKeyser, so they need to go out and get a 7th D still unless they plan to just sit Ouellet in the press box all season which is so moronic that I'm pretty much convinced that's exactly what's going to happen

Stanley cup champion Justin Schultz is available for all your future Norris Trophy needs.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/BizNasty2point0/status/749006549067063296

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Chicago being in cap hell makes today so much better because I know nothing stupid can happen. Im sure pens fans feel the same way.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Sounds about right.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
meanwhile, in nba free agency

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/749011956959371265

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Chiarelli's mustache.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

soggybagel posted:

Sounds about right.

Your Edmonton Oilers GM: Tobias Fünke

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

So I woke up exactly 5 minutes ago.
I can question the Radulov pickup, but I'm not going to because as per other floaty wingers the Habs have signed recently he's gone by Christmas.

So instead: WHY EDMONTON, WHY?!?!?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Because: Edmonton

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The wings did real good

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

The wings did real good

Steve Ott account spotted

e: vvv I take it back. Andreas Athansiou account spotted.

e2: Oh I just noticed the thread title changed again :golfclap:

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 2, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

By that I mean he wings are real good at making me mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

World's first Analrapist GM

• Locked thread